Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

OONF! Air Strike - How to make a Grot Fighta Bomma from a Polikarp

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
  • Army Name:Da League of Ekstraurdinary Orks
Here I am again with another vehicle for da OONF!, this time "wif some powa comin´ from da skyz!"

I present you with "Wazza Wizza", da Lukyest Air Grot! This lad will represent two Fast Attack entries in my KoS list: a Fighta Bomma Raid and a Mek Deffkopta with KFF and Super Stikkbombs. I will write some fluff for him later and even make an entry for Gashbad´s Big Race on the Arena Forum...

Now for the construction steps so far (just to make some suspense! :biggrin ):

I´ve started with a Polikarpov I-16 kit, but using a 1:72 scale instead of the 1:48 one used by TheSnake (congrats to you, Snake, your wonderful model is the inspiration for mine!). It is made by an Ukranian company, is dirty cheap, very simple, very small, coming in one single sprue. Here´s a view of the box:

Posted Image

With my scaphandrist grot as a Barry to show the comparative size of the hull:

Posted Image

The first step is widening the cockpit opening to fit the Grot inside it. The plastic of this kit is very thin and cuts easly. If someone uses it, just a tip: this plastic melts VERY easly with poli-cement, so take care while glueing it!

Posted Image

Then you proceed with the assembling of the kit as the way it is meant, in a very straight-foward way, since I think the Polikarpov is has a very Orky feeling in it (well, Groty feeling at this size... :love The thing is sooo damn cute!).

I haven´t taken much pics of this process since my camera´s batteries went down, and when recharched it was quite finished. The Grot is already glued in its place (which I regret later, since it was a pain to model the rest with him glued in place! Very stoopid of me) over a small piece of plasticard that runs perpendicular to the fuselage. The Grot has a Night Gobbo head with the hood tip shaved, some googles modeled with GS (I HATE GREEN STUFF!), one hand with a spear tip cut off to make the manche and the other one holding a Gorkamorka Kustum-Double-Barreled-Slugga. Note that in one pic there is already a plasticard support for the engine, and that I´ve cut the round tips of the wings:

Posted Image

That thing will need a hulking big engine, since I will keep the WWII look of it and use propellors instead of jets. So I scratchbuilded a V6 engine for it - in fact a V4 - remember, this is a weedy grot plane! If you want to know how I´ve made it, please take a look on my other post - Scratchbuilt Engines 101.

Posted Image

The propellor that come with the kit is very weedy, so I made a new one out of plasticard. Very straight-foward approach here too: cut the blades from 1.5mm plasticard, glue them to one of those round "things" that come in the sprues (the plastic feeding tubes to the mold), some rivvits and then glue the thing to the plane front engine cover:

Posted Image

With the engine in place, it´s time to cover the wings with platicard for the armor plates. For this I´ve used the thinner plasticard I have, which is 0.5mm, but it is still very stiff for such tiny bends. So I´ve cut larger lates, glue them on top of the wing and waits for it to dry:

Posted Image

After one hour or so, I put glue on the inner side of the plates and then bend it to place, around the wings edge, like this (note the sloppiness of the work, with lots of glue spillage):

Posted Image

With everything settled and the glue dry, I sanded everything (lots of glue fingerprints) and put some other plates at the belly to hide the crappy plating work on the underside (the landing gear doors and some glyphs with Wazza Wizza name):

Posted Image

Posted Image

... To be continued in the next post (sorry, too much pics!)

Bozo

Bozo

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 606 posts
its lookin' veryy good so far, the grot and the engine both look very very good, nice work on those ones. have you seen someones (TheSnake's?) thread, how to loot a polikarpov? same plane but on a bigger scale. yours' wings look very similar to TheSnake's (if it was infact his) go with the green wheel and end the exhausts with going straight back with a BIG heat shielding/muffler thing. EDIT soory to jump in between your two posts.
I am the Whistler, and I know many things for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, many secrets of men and women who have stepped into the shadows, yes I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak. -PM me if you know what this is from

The Best Khorne Forum Ever

Talk in Plain English

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
... Continuing... (Dear Mods/Nobs, if this is against the rules of the board, I apologize, and feel free to remove the pics. I worked on the first attempt, but when I edited the post it reported an error)

Now its time for some instruments for the grot: an altimeter (just to know if he is too close to the ground) and a big red button to "drop da bombs!". It is made from the top engine cover of the kit, two big punched rivvitz, a thin strip of plasticard and one "round sprue thing":

Posted Image

From now on I will keep you guys updated with the progress, and all your critics and comments will be more than welcome!

Now some questions to see your opinions:

1) This plane originally has a fixed tail wheel as landing gear. Do you think that I should make one? Not using the weedy one that comes with the kit, but one of those as the pic below:

Posted Image

What do you think? No wheel, the white one (more "aircraft wheel" look) or the green one (more orky tires)

2) I need to make the engine exhausts (WIP pic below, note the plastic rod sticking out of the engine side):

Posted Image

How do you think I should "end" them? Like in the pic or should I bend them to point upwards? Bear in mind that this exhaust is still wip, just for you guys to get the shape, since I will connect some plastic tubing or a shoota barrel to its end.

Well, thats it so far! :cheers

As already stated, C&C are welcome!

Cheers! :cheers

Da Goff Rokker

frankye

frankye

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 371 posts
  • Army Name:(sing along on beatles sgt. pepper notes) we're gorka-morka motorbreath pub band
ermh... v4 engine... bwahahahaha, grotty! absolutely wonderful! I like it alot man,,, might start a plane myself when I finish the ton of stuff backlogged :) But I'm thinking more on the lines of a wwii japanese zero
Krumpin' brass monkeyuzz fer da greener good

QUOTE(itainteasybeingreen @ Sep 7 2006, 08:23 PM) View Post

a great many questions that IMHO should be engraved on the blade of a choppa and applied directly to the bonces of anybody ballsy enough to ask the question.

Doi

Doi

Squigpipes

• Grotz
  • 67 posts
:love the grot's goggles! I think the exhaust should follow the lines of the plane, like so: [attachmentid=13720]

Attached Files

WAAAGH DA ANZORKS!!!

What happens in the event that Figure A is in love with Figure B, but Figure A is already married to Figure C and Figure B is engaged to Figure D, but Figure A can't keep his hands off Figure B because she's got such a nice figure?

Dreachon

Dreachon

Lobotomy

• Deathskullz
  • 751 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls
Orks in planes is scary, grotz is planes is even scarier. Still your off to a good start but how are you gonna field it, as a fighta or as a grotbomb.

Scarpia

Scarpia

No Gud Lootin' Git!

• Deathskullz
  • 5,709 posts
  • Army Name:Warboss Bobz Killa Konvitkz
That's a whole lotta engine wasted on a grot! Good stuff though, you are managing to carry the theme of your army across very successfully. :cheers
meh.

Pinky

Pinky

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
  • Army Name:Waa Grub Pest'a'side
Sweet, that is truely mad, love it, can we see some more pics of it when you finish please? :cheers

TheSnake

TheSnake

Stormboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,337 posts
:lol Hey look, a baby Polykarpov :lol Nice work :thumbs That engine is really creative. I would put a little more details though(sp?), like spark plug cables, oil lines... Will have to loot the propeller for my own Polykarpov ;) :cheers

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Thanks for all the feedback, guys, I will post pics of the progress more regularly from now on... Before replying to all comments, another question: Where do you guys think I should mount the Twin Linked Big Shootas? Below the wings or on their tips? I think that those are the only available spaces, but if you think of somewhere else, please tell me! :! :thumbs Again, what do you think of the side exhausts (following the lines of the plane or upwards) and the rear landing wheel (none, the white one or the green one)? Only Doi and Bozo make their coments, and I wish as much feedback on this as I can, since I could not make my mind... :crybaby @Bozo: Thanks, mate! :thumbs In fact, you replied after my original post, but when I edited it to put the link to my Engine 101 thread the board reported an error and I have to split it in two, and the second part went after your post... @Frankye: I tought about a Zero too (love that "broken" wings!), but on a 1:72 scale it is too thin and long, and a Polikarpov is more bulky, smaller and orky. For the second one I should attempt a Biplane variant of the Polikarpov, which I think will look nice too! @ Dai: Hehehe, I tried to sculpt them with GS, but they turned out crappy (like everything I do with GS!), so I glued 2 rivvitz on his face to act as lenses, and it turned out better than I tought! @ Dreachon: Wazza-Wizza da Grot started his carreer as a Grot Bomb pilot, but after returning to the camp miraculously unharmed after 3 very successful launches, the Big Mek was amazed by the skill and sheer luckiness of the little fella and decided not to waste such talent, making for him a small bomma so he could "drop his load" a little bit more safely and return home... I will field him as a Fighta-Bomma Raid and a Mekboy Deffkopta with super stickbombs. Not so sure about a KFF since there are no space left in it to model this... @ Scarpia: Hehehehe, but he his a VERY talented Grot! :whip And remember, this is no propa V6 engine, just a "V4" weedy one... :thumbs And thanks for the compliments! Your models are a great inspiration to the composition of my army! @ Pinky: Sure enough! I will keep you guys updated on the development! @ TheSnake: ROFL! :lol :lol :lol :lol A BABY POLYKARPOV! That is genius! When my baby Polykarpov grows up all he wants to be is a "TheSnake´s Propa Polykarpov"! Really your model is a great inspiration to mine, and I hope you dont mind me having "looted" it! :thumbs As for the details on the engine, I know it needs a little more details and I will try something, but when I put the side exhausts I think that there will be no space left to put enything... The thing is so small that is very difficult to handle, and with my very stupid idea of glueing the pilot in the early stages of the constructon the difficult level was even higher! Well, keep up the C&C and thanks for the ideas so far! Cheers! :cheers Da Goff Rokker

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Lovely looking bomma Rokker. :cheers The scratch built engine is great, though as The Snake says, some fuel lines and extra details will really make it shine. :thumbs I'd mount the guns under the wings, midway along them. Am not sure about the undercarriage. I think a pair of skis, with maybe a small wheel at the rear, would look more orky. Keep up the good work. :whip
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

deamoncow

deamoncow

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,031 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gear Boyz
lovving it... but since grotz in planz is comonly used as piloted bobs, and this grot is acually fighting with it, i would add two things, explosives... somewhere... so if he goes down he explodes right in da beakiez facez, and a gun, as he is a fighta bomma. :dakka
WAAAGH DA GEAR BOYZ!
Warboss~Gregza Un Bonzif da Stompy
Big Mek~Big Mek Dogbreff

If there is an Ork Stompa released by GW anytime this year I will eat my own genitalz winkingOrk.gif
~Kr00za

I'm holding you to this Kr00za, you better do it. Pics or medical forms as proof

HAMPSTER SQUADRON my webcomic! http://hamsquadcomic.googlepages.com/

Pinky

Pinky

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts
  • Army Name:Waa Grub Pest'a'side
I'm drunk so watch out, but I would say use the green wheel and place the shoota's mid way under the wings and forget about adding any further landing gear. Spark plugs and cables etc can be added if you wish, but it would look like a gem in any army as is. Told my mates about this tonight so there are three of us here now looking over your work, we are all impressed with what you have accomplished, truely amazing, keep it up.

Grazbuk

Grazbuk

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 219 posts
  • Army Name:Grazbuk's Yoofz
nice work so far, rokker! i'll go with the guns on the ends of the wings, just because that seems to me to be the more kool way to mount them. it'd also mean you could add proper landing gear [ie, skis!] without having to worry about the space the guns take up, or getting in the way of the gun mounts. i'd also go for either the green wheel or a smaller ski for the tail. the explosives for "just in case..." sounds pretty funny as well. keep up the good work!
Waaaagh!!

Waaagh Grazbuk: "Buttkicking for Orkiness"

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
Nice looking plane you've got there :thumbs I think for the big shootas they'd look good on the sides of the fuselage if there's enough space. They could be set up to fire inbetween the propellor blades like some of the old fighter planes. I also think the exhausts would look good with a big, perforated cowelling thing. Both of these ideas are inthe photo below. [attachmentid=13740]

Attached Thumbnails

• ExhaustsPosition.jpg

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

Doi

Doi

Squigpipes

• Grotz
  • 67 posts
I reckon use the green wheel for the landing gear and mount the guns mid-way along the wings Keep up the good work :thumbs It's great inspiration :cheers
WAAAGH DA ANZORKS!!!

What happens in the event that Figure A is in love with Figure B, but Figure A is already married to Figure C and Figure B is engaged to Figure D, but Figure A can't keep his hands off Figure B because she's got such a nice figure?

Narziss

Narziss

Slugga Boy

• Grot Rebelz
  • 378 posts
  • Army Name:DeffKorps of Waaargh!
Great model!!! :thumbs this idea is brilliant.. may i loot this idea? ;) i´m looking forward seeing your whole army soon... great concept...
-------------------------

Home is where your Rucksack is!

ghaleon88

ghaleon88

Gargant Krew

• Goffz
  • 2,847 posts
  • Army Name:Grotsbane's Krumpas

Before replying to all comments, another question: Where do you guys think I should mount the Twin Linked Big Shootas? Below the wings or on their tips? I think that those are the only available spaces, but if you think of somewhere else, please tell me! :! :thumbs

I think the tips are too weedy. I'd go with below the wings or on the fuselage as was just mentioned. Also, big shootas might look too big - regular shootas should do the job. Compared to the rest of the plane, they'd look big enough. See Krooza's grot mini-fighter for inspiration if you feel like it.

Again, what do you think of the side exhausts (following the lines of the plane or upwards) and the rear landing wheel (none, the white one or the green one)?

I like your current exhaust set-up. It looks good.

No wheel is fine - landing gear tends to detract from the model's looks somehow, despite adding realism.
Sneeky invisork: 4 2 3 4 1 2 2 7 5+

emoe

emoe

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 431 posts
awesome! im gonna buy some of those planes, form my fly-waagh! as bikes :) thanks for the engine - help fels
im not a complete idiot! some parts are missing :P

Da Goff Rokker

Da Goff Rokker

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 261 posts
Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

Here are some updated pics of the Polikarpov Fighta-Bomma:

Details of the tail landing gear (I´ve decided to go with the white wheel, the green one looked krappy, too thin)
Don´t be afraid of the gap in the side engine, this will be fixed later, and more details will be added to the engine too:

Posted Image

Exhausts parts and assembled pics, as per your suggestions:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost finished view, with the tail wings already cladded in plasticard:

Posted Image

Now I will have to wait for the final touches: the Twin linked big-shootas, which will be mounted on its sides or below the hull (depending on its size, will have to wait till I receive them from GW) and a crapload of bombs attached to the wings and belly (waiting too for a friend to cast me some in resin).

C&C are welcome!

Cheers! :cheers

Da Goff Rokker