Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stompa Gargant P.I.P.

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
926 replies to this topic

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
  • Army Name:I still don't actually have a name for 'em.
Alright, here's what I'm askin':

Posted Image

Really phenomenal work that I found on a different forum that was touting this illustration as concept art for GW's possible stompa that they would be rumored to release with the new ork codex.

I like this illustration a good deal. With that said, would it be fair game to make a gargant based on that illustration? I do not recognize who the artist is, but it really conveys a great sense of power that I think would translate well into a model. Would one get in trouble for doing something like this?
Like my work? Check my blog!
http://www.the-warforge.com
Resin-cast bits and bobs for your armies!
WARFORGED MINIATURES

Adventures of a Prehistoric Puppet!
MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

KingNic

KingNic

Stainless Steel Skull

• Speed Freaks
  • 575 posts
I'm pretty sure that it's an official piece of concept art that was leaked, but allowed by the big Gee-Dub. If you can pull it off then go for it :)

OldSkool

OldSkool

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 308 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Meanies
The sig in the bottom of the pic looks familiar? What's his/her name? I suggest doing a google search just for some more artwork.. looks nice indeed...
Move along, nothing to see here...

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
The scan's so small that I can't make out whose signature it's of. I'd love to do additional looking-into about this.
WARFORGED MINIATURES

MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

Nightserpent

Nightserpent

Arch Arsonist

• Bosses
  • 8,487 posts
  • Army Name:Der Red Kobraz
I believe it's Mark Gibbons, he used to do a lot of older illos for GW, I first noticed his work in Necromunda.

I can't think of any reason why you can't make a model of the drawing. If you tried to make money from the design somehow, you might have problems. But, if it is just for your own, I see no harm done. In all likeliness, GW is now the owner of that design, otherwise it's be anice gesture to contact him for his blessing.

Bozo

Bozo

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 606 posts
i personally cannot conceive of how you would get into any sort of trouble by copying the design. people do scratch builds of designs with actual models all the time. baneblades/stormswords, that kinda thing, and no trouble.
I am the Whistler, and I know many things for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, many secrets of men and women who have stepped into the shadows, yes I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak. -PM me if you know what this is from

The Best Khorne Forum Ever

Talk in Plain English

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Yeah, there's no issue in building a model from someone elses drawing (er, I wouldn't do it if it were a blueprint though) when you're not making money off it nor preventing him making money from the idea. I'm sured he'd be thrilled if you sent him a picture of your finished build too. There is, however, a problem of reproducing that drawing and sending it around because I'm sure it's copyrighted in his name. It probably shouldn't even be appearing in this forum. I'd love to see your take on it, Ein. Now git ta werk. :whip
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts

I'd love to see your take on it, Ein. Now git ta werk. :whip

Posted Image

Posted Image

;)

I may hijack this thread into a WIP thread for it, as I feel my blog thread is becoming a bit of a letdown with the unfinished bike stuff :\ But I just need a break from it, anyway, and this looks like it could be fun. I'll probably be adding to the mechanics in the drawing as I go - like a pulley system on the claw such as what I strung up with a bit of guitar wire. Also note the polish remover in the background - to conform with the new American anti-immigration movement I always keep a bottle handy, as you never know when an immigrant from poland will just show up at your doorstep. :D

I'm out of thin plasticard, though. :P Need to go restock before I can work more on it.
WARFORGED MINIATURES

MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

Nozeminer

Nozeminer

Glorifier of Grotz

• Deathskullz
  • 2,021 posts
  • Army Name:Snotbagz Nozeminerz
If you're gonna build that stompa, you better bring a pickup to haul all of that plasticard. I can't wait to see this thing! If it's half as cool as the drawing, which I'm sure it's going to be, it's going to kick :bleep . By the way, I didn't want to dig up an old thread, but I had to compliment you on your trukk boyz. They turned out great! Now, back ta werk! :whip
Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz

Green Grot

Green Grot

squig attack arm

• Grot Rebelz
  • 464 posts
Go fer it :thumbs I've been wanting to make my own since I first say the pics but otherthings have since got in the way. We'll be very interested in seeing how you make it and lootin you ideas :biggrin :cheers

Dreachon

Dreachon

Lobotomy

• Deathskullz
  • 751 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls
If you feel up to it then go ahead. I'll be closely following this :lol

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm trying to be faithful to the sketch while still incorporating some of my own ideas, such as the pulley wires that would control the arm's operation. It's actually exactly to scale with that picture when the sketch is viewed at 200% zoom. It lacks a bit of detail and a lot of rivets at the moment, but I like to wait on rivets and do them all in one fell swoop. There'll be a few stray armor plates attached to the arm, though. The upper arm section looks a bit short because of the angle I had to stand it up at to get the claw to balance. ;)
WARFORGED MINIATURES

MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

Rakka Dakka

Rakka Dakka

Lobotomy

• Boyz
  • 768 posts
  • Army Name:'ard toofs
wow you work fast, :/ what is that yellow and black tubing from. :?
theres no greater thing than the WAAAAGGHH!

Mukrut rocks the Avatar world

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
Posted Image

I also used lego for the joints, as I have no way of cutting proper plastic circles, and they were readily available.
WARFORGED MINIATURES

MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

Nexus

Nexus

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,100 posts
Looks like bits from yet more lego! This arm's looking really good. You said you want to stay true to the drawing but also throw in some of your own ideas... will you be keeping those ears it's got? In my opinion they're one of the few things that stop me really liking that concept art. I also suggest when you get to the circular saw you build it so it would rotate the other way, as it is now in the drawing it'd end up splashing the kannon with blood. Edit: Just realised what the drawing reminds me of with the ears, a bloody Furby >:
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
Yeah, the face and head look a little off to me. I'll probably toy with them and remove the ears. Also, I thought of something that might be interesting:

Posted Image

Maybe 3 grots/snots at the controls of this thing?
WARFORGED MINIATURES

MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

Kronork

Kronork

particularly odious and dishonest barrister

• Speed Freaks
  • 2,564 posts
1 grot controlling each limb would be cool, I wonder if it could get over 1inch forward before falling and breaking itself apart in a fit of the "shakes" :lol Should look cool with grots controlling it, kinda puts it all into the hands of gork and mork. Just like orks like it. Cheers

Hac in hora,
sine mora,
corde pulsum tangite;
quod per sortem, sternit fortem
mecum omnes plangite!

Ein

Ein

Yellow Paint Job

• Boyz
  • 1,492 posts
I can probably and with much swearing bend plasticard into the circular frontal body shape of the stompa's illustration, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have a good suggestions for a method of making those curves? I also think I'm going to rivet and fully detail this arm, then work my way across it's shoulders to start building a frame. I'd like for the limbs to ideally be removable so that I can transport it and paint it with ease... Think any sort of magnets would be able to hold the weight of these things?
WARFORGED MINIATURES

MURRAY THE DINOSAUR

CaNnOn_FeEdEr

CaNnOn_FeEdEr

Stainless Steel Skull

• Evil Sunz
  • 584 posts
  • Army Name:Da Mad Dashas

I can probably and with much swearing bend plasticard into the circular frontal body shape of the stompa's illustration, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have a good suggestions for a method of making those curves?

Recently, I was fitted with a splint for my hand. The medical professional who did that took a large piece of plastic, and submerged it in hot water for some time. Said professional then removed the piece of plastic from the water and molded it to fit my hand specifically. Im not sure if the plastic they used had some sort of special property, but Id assume that the method could be used for bending plasticard to form a stompas chest plate/cod piece.
In Devastation There is Opportunity

You ever see a Yeti when a dozen condoms full of coke burst in his belly?

Nozeminer

Nozeminer

Glorifier of Grotz

• Deathskullz
  • 2,021 posts
  • Army Name:Snotbagz Nozeminerz
You could score a piece of plasticard every 1/4 inch (?) or so (not sure of dimentions). Then bend it. After, you could fill the gaps with GS to make it a bit smoother. Or use some kind of plastic container/bottle that fits your needs. Grot pilots? :bleep YES!!!
Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz