Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Drabber's Squig Cavalry

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
  • Army Name:the Orkin Armada
Hello everyone

Like many of you I saw the new ork designs and got really excited,

I've always liked the idea of a squiggy riding beast,
then I saw Invivos's kitbashed one and that really got me thinkin'

i went to the GW online store, and looked at the bitz but couldn't bring myself to buy the carnie head sprue since I'd want to GS it anyway...

so I started making one of my own, sculpting it from scratch. I'm using this pre-mixed sculpy which is available online from a company called midwest clays(i think thats it's name)...

I like this stuff better than GS for something like this because i can choose to harden it when i want to, rather than having to wait for it to harden and build it up in sessions

My plan is than once I am happy with it I'll make a mold and have a bunch cast up in resin, basically like Victoria lamb did for hers...

I thought some of you would like to see it in progress...

here are pics after the first night...

Posted Image

and annother with a rider for scale...

Posted Image

I want this one to be really good, so I'd like to get as much input as possible...
Let me know what you think!

-brad

Redtoof

Redtoof

Stormboy

• Snakebitez
  • 1,391 posts
  • Army Name:Da Viperz
Looks a great start. The basic shape is definately there. I like the running stance, and I think it is about the right size/proportions. Looks very much like a bigger, nastier warhammer squig. Can't wait to see the finished version!

invivos

invivos

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 598 posts
Looks promising so far :yes Hehe, it´s funny that I am not the only one now being obsessed by Squig riders :biggrin :cheers
Visit my website: IN-VI-VOS conversions Updated 24.06.10!

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
Nice job! Great idea, I've wondered what it would be like to try to make a cast of a sculpt, so keep us updated on your progress. I do have a nit to pick though. It's the persistent problem of dynamic poses of mounts. You have to shift your rider back over the haunches of a no-front-legged riding beast or it just plain looks broke. I know this guy ain't the final rider but if you're making this for lots of different riders then I'd take the time get his lower body shaped right. Specifically, I'd add a touch of ground clearance, either by lengthening the foot a tiny bit or just straightening the leg a tad. But more importantly I'd make him a bit thinner behind the rib-cage just in front of the legs. It provides a nice saddle shape if you sit your rider right on top of (what would be) the squig's pelvis. Beasts like this (or a T rex) are sorta built like suspension bridges... central pillar (legs) with stuff hanging off of it balanced to either side. Can't wait to see your final sculpt.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

frankye

frankye

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 371 posts
  • Army Name:(sing along on beatles sgt. pepper notes) we're gorka-morka motorbreath pub band
May I ask how you've done the rider's legs? The running squig is really nice, but I'll put some more teef in it, maybe two tusks going up from the lower jaw? Like an inverted sabretooth?
Krumpin' brass monkeyuzz fer da greener good

QUOTE(itainteasybeingreen @ Sep 7 2006, 08:23 PM) View Post

a great many questions that IMHO should be engraved on the blade of a choppa and applied directly to the bonces of anybody ballsy enough to ask the question.

Blackbone

Blackbone

'Ard Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 840 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes
I found this very helpful for sculpting:

http://www.conceptar...87&page=1&pp=60

Check it, zude!!

Blackbone
Do you ever do something and think, “that’s so Raven.”

Bozo

Bozo

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 606 posts
wow that things lookin' excellent. my only prob with it is that squigs look cartoony. thats why i didn't like the other squig ridin' beast that was round hear, cause of the head, so i think this one needs some serious tusk and some nice angry cartoony eyes. otherwise its lookin' great!
I am the Whistler, and I know many things for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, many secrets of men and women who have stepped into the shadows, yes I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak. -PM me if you know what this is from

The Best Khorne Forum Ever

Talk in Plain English

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
Thank you all, for your responses.

Bozo - The more cartoony aspects of the ork army are definitely one of the things that attracted me to them in the first place, I think I see what you mean, like it needs more character, hopefully these changes help...

Blackbone - thanks for the link, those dudes at conceptart.org rock, I've been through the site some, that stuff never ceases to amaze. I hadn't seen that part before, cool stuff... if you arn't already familiar you might also like to check out the Shiflett brothers stuff, they also have asculpting forum which is really good.

Frankye - the riders legs are the old metal snakebite boarboy legs, I managed to score a bunch of boarboyz off ebay, but when I run out I'm most likely going to have to start repositioning regular boy legs...

Mad Grot - Definitely appreciate your crit. It's funny that you mention the t-rex, part of what was bothering me about it was that its head felt a bit too much like a t-rex scull. but you bring up a really valid point about ballance, where he sits in those first pics the poor squig would buckle and faceplant. Since its a bit late in the game to change the legs, I've opted to pull the body back a bit to try to center its weight, and the weight of the ork over its feet. Though looking at the new pics now I think I could even bring him back more. I've widened the hips a bit too to make for a more natural saddle.

overall I've been trying to clean up the whole thing.

I've added eyes, these are the second set I tried, the first were tiny glass beads, but in position they seemed too large, so I used these tiny metal cannon balls from a ship model. I brought the socket forword a bit and built up the eyebrows a bit too. Hopefully making it more like a squig, and less like a beaked t-rex

Its funny, I never really thought of squigs as having arm-limbs, too used to the FB ones I guess. :scowl
When I first saw the drawing I thought they were trying to make it a bit more likt the FW model. But I was looking at the new(ish) warbosses attack squig and sure enough, it's got them too,

So I gave him the little scythe arms,

Posted Image

and once again with the rider

Posted Image

Now a couple of you asked about teeth, and you are totally right it needs big nasty ones, >:

But it seems that every time I put them in they get messed up while I'm doing something else, plus I can tell the mouth is really going to be a big problem area for the mold anyway, as I'm hoping to keep this as a single peice cast.(not going to hold my breath on that one though)

so I'm gonna hold off on toothing him until last...

next I think I'm going to fix the pose a bit more and start detailing...

I'm digging the feedback, so please keep it coming, and I'll keep posting progress through final sculpt/casting and painting...

-brad
[edited to fix image links]

Jolly_ork

Jolly_ork

Stormboy

• Blood Axez
  • 1,351 posts
  • Army Name:Boss Hog's Hoggers
The pose looks pretty good, so i agree that some detailing is in order. Sofar, its a pretty cool lookin mount. What are you going to cast it into? Resin or somesuch?
Bringin' the SmartAss to you since '89

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
I'm likin it more'n'more drabber. Agree that you still have to pull him back a bit but he's gettin there. I find looking at pictures will help you see things from a thrid person perspective that you just can't get while working on it. Eyebrows and eyes are good too, maybe a tad more eyebrow. And it looks like the tail is less pointy. I like it. Makes it squiggier and less saurian. :thumbs on the scythe legs too. Rock on!

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

invivos

invivos

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 598 posts

Now a couple of you asked about teeth, and you are totally right it needs big nasty ones, >:

But it seems that every time I put them in they get messed up while I'm doing something else, plus I can tell the mouth is really going to be a big problem area for the mold anyway, as I'm hoping to keep this as a single peice cast.(not going to hold my breath on that one though)

so I'm gonna hold off on toothing him until last...

You could make the teeth from plastic card and just press them into the "GS" jaws :! Most sculptors make straight or hard bitz from plastic card. You could either have every tooth for itself or have them in one row.

Here is an example I just drew up:

Cut the tooth shape from plastic card (1.5mm thick e.g.) then file down the tooth cutting edges to make them more round (red areas)..voila! Perfect sturdy tooth prothesis! You could bend the line of teeth into an "U"-shape so it fits into the upper/lower jaw :yes

Attached Thumbnails

• jaw.jpg

Visit my website: IN-VI-VOS conversions Updated 24.06.10!

Gashbad

Gashbad

Stompa Warz Champeen

• Freebooterz
  • 2,510 posts
  • Army Name:Gashbad's Loudboyz
Looks a lot better than my early attempts at sculpting! Some parts look a lil rough and craggly, but I get the impression that some of that is probably intentional. Overall, some fine work. Hell I probably couldn't do any better! :biggrin
This user has been given a total of four (4) 'free" rants as sporeday gifts from the members of this site.
Some conditions apply, check coupon for details

Kr00zA

Kr00zA

Grumpy ole Git

• Goffz
  • 9,989 posts
  • Army Name:Big Berk'z Bashaz
Nice skulpting work. Personly I think it looks too much like a Squiggoth. Those things are truley massive and Id imagin a Squig would go through a much slower rate of change before resembling something simular to a Squiggoth. That just my oppion. ;)
Nuf Said.

Avatarz by KroozA and Animated Avatarz by KroozA ... Please dont link directly to them. Save one and upload it to the forum.

Blackbone

Blackbone

'Ard Boy

• Blood Axez
  • 840 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes
You turned around and gave me a better link! Didn't expect that, ya fragga! I guess my suggestion for 'finishing' these beasts is to build up their core shape, then slowly add thin skeins of texture, smooth areas, and details on top of it. Blackbone
Do you ever do something and think, “that’s so Raven.”

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
how odd, it seems the post i put up last night before bed somehow never ended up on here...
hrm i must have done something wrong, I'll try to remember what I said.

I did more work on the squig...

I think I finially fixed the pose, and started detailing it,

I started a saddle and stirrups, lips and scales..

Posted Image

I started playing with the idea of adding spikes to the back, not sure if it's working, it may be too dinosaurish...

Posted Image

Jolly ork, yes I'm planning to pressure cast resin in a silicone mold...

Kr00za, how do you think I can make it squiggier, and less gothy? perhaps a bigger moulth and less body? or just alltogether smaller?

Invivos, your idea would work really well if the clay I'm using didn't need heat to harden... you may notice the base got a bit melty. but I cut some peices out anyway and it got me thinking :!

I made an optional gob yay!

Posted Image

yes, I know still no teeth, they are coming soon, I promise. there is a good reason they arn't there yet

I'm thinking that I may need to cut off the lower jaw, since it'd make the mold waay more difficult, plus I could make a couple different lower mouths for some variety, maybee one more open, one OTT with teeth

So now I'm doing a bit more detail, but I'm not sure what it needs,

What do you guys think, more scales or smoother?

Also there is this spike that comes off the leg in the drawing, it sorta points at the thigh, I put one of them on, but I'm not sure if I should put the other on, or take it off and skip it... any thoughts?

I'm dying to paint this puppy! but I must resist the urge...

as always I appreciate any comments and criticism...

-brad

Bozo

Bozo

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 606 posts
i would go for smooth skin, with no scales, for a squiggyier look, i think it's lookin' squiggyier as it is now a little fattier. i like the gob, but i still think some tusks juttting horizontally out of the lowwer jaw'd look good, if you did do alternate jaws, which'd be cool, this'd be easier, but still i think bigger, rounder and pointier teeth would really improve the look of it. also some reins would look good, as right now the rider looks precarious. keep up the good work and keep us posted!
I am the Whistler, and I know many things for I walk by night. I know many strange tales, many secrets of men and women who have stepped into the shadows, yes I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak. -PM me if you know what this is from

The Best Khorne Forum Ever

Talk in Plain English

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
Oooo, I missed one. Somehow I didn't see you put this up til now. Jobs a gud'n, the pose is on balance now. :thumbs Fergit the iron gob, that can be an add-on. The dew-claw is a keeper. :yes I like the job you did on the scales. I think squigs could be scaly or not. I don't recall any reference material laying down the law on this. Bottom line... it's your choice. The dorsal spines are another free choice. Again you did a good job on them, but I don't like 'em... too saurian, not squiggy enuf. Love it more each time I see it!

WarbossGrimgazza

WarbossGrimgazza

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 145 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaaaagh Grimgazza
If ya cast any up in resin be sure to post pics of them as well! This looks like its gonna get friggin awesome. :thumbs And then more detailing on the hands. If i would have made it it would have had a bigger mouth, but that's just me. Anyways friggin awesome and you go continue just like dat! :thumbs

drabber

drabber

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 560 posts
This beastie has been starring at me for some time now... I think its about time I posted more pics

i decided to keep the scales and dorsal spines, with the thought that i can cut and sand some of the squigs in the squad for variety if I feel so inclined...

I finially got around to doing his teef, and am pretty happy with how they came out,
I used the tips of toothpicks treated with "translucent liquid sculpy" to keep the heat of cooking them from burning them up...
I cut off the lower jaw and made two replacable ones that clip into position...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ignore the little gap where the jaws attach, that'll get puttied up on the final versions,

Posted Image

I've been planning until now to make these in resin, and I still might, but My girlfriend is a jeweler, and she has a vacuume caster for metal...

It'd be more work, but the finished product might be much cooler, (possibly just for a couple of them)

I know they are mostly pewter now, but does anyone know how much lead is still in GW miniatures?( i know its less now then they used to) i've got some i wouldn't mind melting, but she's concerned with the fumes...

So unless anyone sees anything that NEEDs more attention, I'm going to see about making my molds very soon...

and don't worry Grimgazza, I'll post pics of the castings,

and even the molds if anyone wants to see them... dunno if anyone is interested in that part of the process

I (still) can't wait to paint him...

-brad

rusty mekboy

rusty mekboy

Burna Boy

• Goffz
  • 391 posts
  • Army Name:Raknar's skull krushas
That last pic looks fantastic! Very ferocious. :thumbs I'm scared just looking at him, those are verr good teeth indeed.
What do you mean your not gonna use gazzie's head for your warboss conversion?
ARE YOU INSANE!!!???

A warboss by any other name would be just as choppy.