Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scratch Built Kans 101 *update #3* 07-17-05

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Bivrok!!
Let me say first that this is veeeeeery basic. But since this is 101, I guess that is okay. I'm doing this at work so I don't have time to give a detailed description right now. However, I think the pics are detailed enough to follow if you pay attention. So I will post the diagrams now and let you look through it and tell me where you need explination.

I will say that the third base in the body is a center support for durability.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Let me know what you need/think. :cheers
Step 1: Collect orks
Step 2: ...
Step 3: Waaaaaaaaagh!

Da Skraplord

Da Skraplord

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 672 posts
  • Army Name:Da Skraplord's Kommandoz
Well it's no Stonebreaker, but it looks like that plan would work very well, give or take a few dozen rivets. I pronounce this a gud un.

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts

Well it's no Stonebreaker, but it looks like that plan would work very well, give or take a few dozen rivets. I pronounce this a gud un.

View Post

Stonebreaker?

Yeah, this is lacking visor slits, second weapons, gubbins, rivits, more details, ect.

Da Skraplord

Da Skraplord

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 672 posts
  • Army Name:Da Skraplord's Kommandoz

Stonebreaker?

Yeah, this is lacking visor slits, second weapons, gubbins, rivits, more details, ect.

View Post

Well, search for posts by Stonebreaker and see what I mean. But again, the basic construction looks solid. I'd try it if I had the plasticard to spare.

Techno-Cow

Techno-Cow

Puffball Fungus

• Speed Freaks
  • 15 posts
Looks good, I think I'll try it after I finish my scratch built russ. Hey there's a 101 for ya :lol
'live fast and die everywhere' the motto of the wartrukk drivers.
Does an panzee farseer with multiple personalities count as a council?
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that... who cares. He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.

Hipomonstrososestquipadailaphobia rocks!

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts
Here is a mock up with rivits, visor and rokkit.
Posted Image

Plasma Toof

Plasma Toof

Loota Boy

• Evil Sunz
  • 1,244 posts
I think da job's a good un. After all da meks would often be building with sheet metal or scrap armor. So why not build a kan from it.

Analogue

Analogue

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 244 posts
  • Army Name:Funky Footpad's Flying Fur (Wolfrider Goblin Army); Legion of Beasts (Beast Imperial Guard); Combattants of Random Objects (Savage Orcs); Green yet Blue (Orks); Baal's Minions (Diablo-themed Beastmen)
Huh. It's a shame I started on my box-kan two days before this showed up. Nice guide. I think it needs more detail though, like actual side-top-rear views of the finished product, for better comprehension though. I'm finding is somewhat difficult to understand. Another thing that would make it better would be if you could actually make it, and post the picture so we can see the final product. One last edit (pardon me). It would also be nice to see a scale on there. Just one last suggestion. Last question, I swear! What do you use to cut the plasticard that accurately. Given that you need several of the exact same piece, you must have a more accurate tool than a knife, right? What do you use?
Anything Gashbad does, I can do better.

"Orks are about as cuddly as wolverines made of sandpaper." - Dillain Dowling

Dokta Orkenstein

Dokta Orkenstein

Suction Foot

• Freebooterz
  • 590 posts
  • Army Name:Da Squigz uv WAAAGH
i think the end results are gonna be pretty nice. job's a good 'un. i'll get to work on one once i can be sure to have the workspace free for a long enough time. on the body section, you've got the "c" panel marked as x2, but shouldn't it be x4?
Cry 'avvik! an' let loose da Squigz uv WAAAGH!!

Stonebreaker

Stonebreaker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 446 posts
Good tutorial. Thanks for the compliment Skaplord. Biv has got the technics down. I used most of them on my kan. The arms definitely need to be laminated in order to get the joints right. The only things I did differently is that where I could I used square and round tubing (legs for example) this saved time over laminating everything. I also used a 1/4 of a piece of PVC pipe to make a curved front, see attached pic. Great addition to the 101 Series. If I ever get around to building another I will try to document the process for inclusion in this thread. :cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• kan101.jpg

- Stonebreaker

TheSnake

TheSnake

Stormboy

• Freebooterz
  • 1,337 posts
Nice tech drawing. :thumbs That double-klaw is quite interesting. May have to loot this soon :love

Victim of Gashbad

Victim of Gashbad

Arena uv Deth Champion

• Boyz
  • 119 posts
  • Army Name:Spored on da bayou
Me being a skumgrod...I kind of cower at the sight of these blueprintz. :eek
Anuvver Ork fer da Tourneys!
Record: 8-6-2

http://s16.photobuck...lbums/b38/V-O-G <-----This is my Gallery. Orks are under "Da Tribe"

Next Tournament appearance: Las Vegas GT?

Gaf-Naz

Gaf-Naz

Mayor of Orktown

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,992 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gaf-Naz, Da Inter-Hive Firm
Biv - this is your best 101 yet! :thumbs :thumbs If only I hadn't just shelled out tons of teef on some GW Kans! :crybaby I'm gonna use your 101 as a base for my next 3 - with lots of gubbinz and rivets on top. IMHO, as a guide to building the basic structure, this 101 can't be beaten. Now get busy on the nest 101! :whip
Ork Town III - Terrain building competition, sponsored by Ramshackle Games.

Do you need some 6th edition fortifications for your army, a new terrain piece or an 'armies on display' board?

Then build it, paint it, post it and move into "da orkiest town in da ooniverse", and have the chance of winning a prize!

Plasma Toof

Plasma Toof

Loota Boy

• Evil Sunz
  • 1,244 posts

Now get busy on the nest 101! :whip

View Post

:?
No tyranid 101's!! :whip ;) :lol

Analogue

Analogue

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 244 posts
  • Army Name:Funky Footpad's Flying Fur (Wolfrider Goblin Army); Legion of Beasts (Beast Imperial Guard); Combattants of Random Objects (Savage Orcs); Green yet Blue (Orks); Baal's Minions (Diablo-themed Beastmen)
I think he meant "next". But just to be sure... :choppa
Anything Gashbad does, I can do better.

"Orks are about as cuddly as wolverines made of sandpaper." - Dillain Dowling

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts
Analogue

Nice guide. I think it needs more detail though, like actual side-top-rear views of the finished product, for better comprehension though. I'm finding is somewhat difficult to understand.

I'll work on that for ya. I'm gonna get some instructions to go with the pics as well

Analogue

Another thing that would make it better would be if you could actually make it, and post the picture so we can see the final product.

I'm in the middle of moving and don't have a computer so that would be difficult.

Analogue

One last edit (pardon me). It would also be nice to see a scale on there. Just one last suggestion.

Scale was left vague on purpose. The reason for that is two-fold:
1. So people can adjust it to fit their own needs.
2. The same design can be used for either a kan or dread.

Analogue

Last question, I swear! What do you use to cut the plasticard that accurately. Given that you need several of the exact same piece, you must have a more accurate tool than a knife, right? What do you use?

You can get awfully acurate with a metal ruler and a hobby knife. Remember not to cut all the way through, score and snap the pieces apart. The other thing I suggest is getting strip sterine (sp?) of the same thickness as the plasticard you are using in several sizes. It's great for making consistant pieces.

Dokta Orkenstein

on the body section, you've got the "c" panel marked as x2, but shouldn't it be x4?

:blush um......yeah. I'll fix that. EDIT:fixed.

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts
Here is some more including a top view. I think the arm needs to be a little shorter, but you folks can figure that out yourself.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Eriku-Kun

Eriku-Kun

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 167 posts
Perhaps its just me but i think the width of the body make the kan look a bit fat. ;) If i were to do something like this i would have slimed the body a bit...just to make it a bit less like a square.

Vae-Victus

Vae-Victus

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 15 posts
Maby its just me but I think a Buzz saw would be alot easier to scratch build than and intricate 4 bladed klaw (considering the hydrolics and wires v/s motor) buzz saws are very simple & look supa choppy just my 2 teef great work so far

Biv

Biv

Frantik

• Freebooterz
  • 2,005 posts

Maby its just me but I think a Buzz saw would be alot easier to scratch build than and intricate 4 bladed klaw (considering the hydrolics and wires v/s motor)  buzz saws are very simple & look supa choppy

just my 2 teef
great work so far

View Post

You may or may not be right. The teeth of a buzz saw is hard to do. I also try to avoid "round" shapes. They are hard to cut, especially for a beginner and that's who this is geared for. Now, if you have a buzz saw bit, that would be really easy. I hope to add several variations later in the week, including a burna weapon arm and a BS.

If i were to do something like this i would have slimed the body a bit...just to make it a bit less like a square.

Which brings me to the point that you should change these designs as little or as much as you like. I think I agree with you actually, but a wider body base would be more sturdy.....at least I think.