Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orky Aircraft Carrier

* * * - - 2 votes Stompa Battleship 40k

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

I got bored of my stompa sitting collecting dust, so i nuked it! I'm left with a pile of bits.

stompa.jpg?w=640

I'm thinking i'll make a ship with them, and i start to play about with the side peices, and then it hit me.... that base peice would make the perfect aft for a huge ship... like an oil tanker or a freight ship to load a heap of armoured containers on... or maybe an aircraft carrier big enough to land my Ork Flyer corps on and my deffkoptas too. 

I have a big propeller that could fit in the lower foot space, ... and the smoke stack off the stompa could hide the top foot space... add a couple of foot of wavin pipe and a lot of plasticard ... and Bob's ya Auntie Mabel (after his sex change!)

An ambitious project for March perhaps?

Thoughts please?

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Melankolik

• Boyz
  • 2,584 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

If you're going aircraft carrier then I'd be tempted to use those chains for steam catapult launchers (might involve having to cut them out from the deck and then re-assemble it with extra bracing under the joins - but that would give you the chance to put them somewhere a bit more sensible?).

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

steam catapult launcher?

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Grapple Arm

• Boyz
  • 556 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

It is a steam powered, assisted takeoff device developed by the Royal Navy in the 50's. Currently, only the French & U.S. use them on their aircraft carriers. The latest class of U.S. aircraft carriers, the Gerald R. Ford class, will have electromagnetic assisted takeoff (EMALS) replacing the steam catapult. The steam catapult is very Orky, especially if one uses chains to replace the cable attached to the shuttle. <https://youtu.be/Jcq17FTVI2s>

• Badfang Brassaxe and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

very interesting Giganotosaurus. I was thinking a bigger version of the grot bomm launcha track

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

This Super Lobber might be great to convert into a steam powered catapult for launching fliers off the ramp

lobber.jpg

• Badfang Brassaxe and Giganotosaurus like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Melankolik

• Boyz
  • 2,584 posts

If you put the lobba struts facing forwards horizontally at the bow of the ship and have the chain attached to the throwing basket then that'd work (for a given value of work :lol ).

• Mik McMok the Mek and Giganotosaurus like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

If you put the lobba struts facing forwards horizontally at the bow of the ship and have the chain attached to the throwing basket then that'd work (for a given value of work :lol ).

that was my thinking, except switch the basket for a sturdy hook. i have a big wooden wheel (3" wide maybe, ) that can be attatched to the smaller wheel in a cog like fashion too

.all it would need would be a hook, some chain, a ramp and a bit of kids railway line.... maybe a bit of a runway (racing track) with a really big net for a orky makeshift landing strip?

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Melankolik

• Boyz
  • 2,584 posts

Yeah, and if you model trailing hooks on the back of the 'planes then you could say the chains moulded onto the deck were arrester 'wires' for slowing 'planes down when they're landing. https://www.youtube....h?v=2bW7tjy7AOk

• Mik McMok the Mek and Giganotosaurus like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

Yeah, and if you model trailing hooks on the back of the 'planes then you could say the chains moulded onto the deck were arrester 'wires' for slowing 'planes down when they're landing. https://www.youtube....h?v=2bW7tjy7AOk

i like ya thinking.

The GW flyers already come with a drag on the back to slow them down when they land, which is basically a hooked claw on a chain. 

I was thinking of simply paiting down the chains in the aft peice though, which would be easier. i have to tidy up the bits of foot that refused to unglue anyway. 

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

my plans are coming along nicely. i spotted a perfect upper body for the aircraft carrier if it will fit https://www.ebay.ie/...em=311482048492 and it comes with an extension bit to make it even longer 

i also found some big sheets of plasicard at work for doing the hull.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

just checked the size of my extended deck. The whole thing would come to 75.5 cm long (but i could always add a further extension onto this for a whopping 101ch long... (is that too much? it's 15cm wide and the total model height with the stompa base as a hull and a wavin pipe and plastican sides would be approximately 20cm to the deck and a further 10 cm or so for the two story cabins galley quarterdeck wheelhouse and all that lark to fit in,

I'll need to add the launching ramp, steam catapult, helipad  gun turrets ect tpp

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Melankolik

• Boyz
  • 2,584 posts

Could always use it to play KillTeam on :biggrin

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

some bitz collected ready for March's threat.. Wavin pipe cut to size 75cm long (with trukk for scale)52977597_2321669381178032_67201224136374

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

stompa bits for hull ect, plasticard, a supalobba for steam catapult and a deck (once it gets delivered) looking good so far

lobber-1.jpg?w=370&h=s-l300.jpg?w=700&h=&crop=1stompa-1.jpg?w=700&h=

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Grapple Arm

• Boyz
  • 556 posts

Mik McMok, I am sharing this link with you for the purposes of encouragement, and inspiration.  :yes  I also realize looking at what someone else built/scratch built, especially at this level can be depressing. What is it?  :?  A 1/72 scale model of the recently decommissioned CVN 65, the USS Enterprise.... with it's complete air wing!  :thumbs  :thumbs   At 1/72 scale, the model is 16' long, and 5' wide.  :eek  I hope you are inspired by the link to build the ultimate Orky aircraft carrier!  :yes  <http://www.carrierbu...prise_1-72.htm>

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

thanks for the link Gigaotosaurus

... dat is a fing of booty!

i was expecting something from star trek when you mentioned uss Enterprise LOL duh! my bad!

*****It needs more dakka though! ******

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

Much though i admire the dedication precision and attention to detail to scratch build such a wonderous model, such things are not in my DNA.

i model with the same structure that i write stories, with only the barest of bones of a concept to begin with, and then see where the dice falls. 

In this case, my concept is something nautical, with an aircraft carrier theme, but it could as easily end up being turned upside down and ending as a sabmarine, or a steam train even, depending on where my creativity takes me... but it will be suitably Orky, have no fear

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Grapple Arm

• Boyz
  • 556 posts

Star Trek would be NCC1701 the Federation Starship Enterprise. Navies tend to keep certain ship names on the roll permanently. Enterprise is such a name in the U.S. Navy, there will be a new U.S.S. Enterprise in the  Ford class of carriers. I imagine when Star Trek was developed, Gene Rodenberry felt that naval traditions, and ship names would carryover in space. Plus, the U.S.S. Enterprise was the largest ship in the world at that time, the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier, and was often featured in the U.S. news.

P.S. Some other dedicated individual made a 1/100 scale CVN 59, the U.S.S. Forrestal. Except this one is made entirely of metal (only 12' long, but it weighs over 3,000 lbs!!!), and everything works (elevators go up & down, radar rotates, etc).

P.P.S. A pilot actually landed a Lockheed C-130 Hercules on the U.S.S. Forrestal to see if it could be done.  :eek

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Dreadnought Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,883 posts

Ork ship under construction . O was initially planning on a Aircraft carrier but despite its size it isn't big enough!

53098731_2330829296928707_3359129553250253238329_2330836063594697_2574038861873153298671_2330835750261395_82732862125469

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stompa, Battleship, 40k