Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stupid question time.

- - - - - Stompa Gorkanaut

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,330 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Just to be sure I know what I'm talking about. The Stompa has 4 attacks. One of the modes for it's big oll' choppa lets it roll 3 to hit rolls for each attack. Not gives it 12 attacks right?  So regardless of the number of successes there could be only 4 actual hits. Is that not the case and if not where was it addressed in the rules? 

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

killercroc

killercroc

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 914 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz
It does give it 12 total attacks. Stompa isn't the only model with a rule like that, Mortarian and Knights do the same thing. So let the dice fly!

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,330 posts

It does give it 12 total attacks. Stompa isn't the only model with a rule like that, Mortarian and Knights do the same thing. So let the dice fly!

Why am I not able to read it that way then? I just read that it's 3 rolls to hit for each attack. Not 3 attacks each. So..Are you sure? And what do I need to read out side of the index entry?

killercroc

killercroc

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 914 posts
Well I cannot say for certain due to bad wording (it should say make 3 attacks instead of 1) but it has the exact same wording for Knights kicking and Morty using his scythe so unless everyone else, including games at official tournaments were doing it wrong i think you're in the clear.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,334 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz
Its got the same sweep rule as the knights and the mork and gorkanaut. Whats crazy is the knights are actually a far better model from a melee perspective. They need to sort the stomps out fast. It shouldnt be any more than 650 points.

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,330 posts

Well I cannot say for certain due to bad wording (it should say make 3 attacks instead of 1) but it has the exact same wording for Knights kicking and Morty using his scythe so unless everyone else, including games at official tournaments were doing it wrong i think you're in the clear.

I can't speak for all that other stuff. All I know is I'm not 100% sure it's 12 attacks because the language is all over the place in the index. the Deff dread klaws attack then get more attacks for their special rules, even the Deff Rolla I first misunderstood to be +3 attacks not +3 to the attack roll. It's really annoying. 
I really hope it's sorted out in the Codex.  Half tempted to drop this question over at dakka to see what they say.

killercroc

killercroc

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 914 posts

I did the same with the Deff rolla when I first read it too! Just goes to show what bad wording on a rushed product can do.

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,330 posts

I did the same with the Deff rolla when I first read it too! Just goes to show what bad wording on a rushed product can do.

But is it bad wording or are we not reading it as intended? I guess that's where I am going with my op. 
I wouldn't bring it up except a guy in a comment section being rude to me and I want to make sure I am correct in how I "interpret the rule."  
It was a struggle not to be rude in return over there.  
Driving me nutz!

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,334 posts
Every battle rep Ive seen makes it clear that its three attacks per attack on the profile. The stomps has the same wording as the morkanaut, haraspex, and knights. It allows three hit rolls per attack.

The core rules say each successful it roll counts as a hit which then gets processed as a wound attempt on the next step. You get three rolls per attack characteristic, which means up to three successful hits. The attack characteristic doesnt cap the number of possible successes. The attack characteristic simply tells you how many dice you can roll. In the same way a chainsword gives you an extra attack roll, not reflected on the characteristic, the sweep style attacks give you three dice which can all score hits.

killercroc

killercroc

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 914 posts

Honestly, if you can write a sentence that can be interpreted different ways you should really re-write it so it's clear no matter who reads it. A lot of FAQ's could be prevented by either better wording or an example page explaining what was meant in greater detail. 

GW is a company after all with editors selling a product. It's not unreasonable for use to want the product to be in the proper state. If I bought a book from a store and it was printed backwards then I'd return it. Unless things like quality assurance and customer care are just things of the past. 

Was it on Dakkadakka, cause that sounds like Dakkadakka  :biggrin

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,334 posts
As I said above, its only confusing if you dont look at the core rules. The core clearly says each dice roll made to hit that is equal to our greater than the BS or WS counts as a hit. The attack characteristic just sets your starting dice.

killercroc

killercroc

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 914 posts

Ok cool, I mean makes sense the rule book would clear it up. Just one of those situations where I know the answer just not where to back it up.

• warhead01 likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,334 posts
I think part of the problem, which I am constantly struggling with, is looking at the new rules without making assumptions about the older editions.

In the past the rule likely would have read make three attacks for each attack on the models characteristic. Now they say to add dice to your pile and add up the successes.

Having said that, look at the reading for things like the demon prince talons... which says it makes three additional attacks if armed with two talons.

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,330 posts

As I said above, its only confusing if you dont look at the core rules. The core clearly says each dice roll made to hit that is equal to our greater than the BS or WS counts as a hit. The attack characteristic just sets your starting dice.

Gotcah. Ok. I'm done with this now Thank you for explaining how it's suppose to work. 
If all 12 hit, just move on to making 12 to wound rolls. 
Thank you both for the help.

No wasn't dakka. No big deal. 

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,334 posts
I didnt mean your original post warhead! You actually made me go back and look at the rule, which really looked like it gave you three tries to make a successful hit but not a potoential 12 successful hits. I then figured the core rule must clarify that which it did. Kudos to you for making us seek understanding!

I was saying that anyone still confused after reading the core rule dont really understand how those rules resolve. Ive had plenty of cases where that has happened. Hell, more than once it was me who was still in denial over a rule after having the rule explained...
  • warhead01 likes this

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,330 posts

That's a good point, I've recently learned that each step is a must! I was stuck in old think for resolving combat and had been skipping step 6. After reading an article on Brown Magic it was like a light turned on. I didn't know where to even look to find my answer to my op question. It's good to know it's actually in the core rules.

• PhillyT likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 962 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Yeah the deff dread one confuses the hell out of me... do i get an exrra attack for the two arms I have already or do i only getbthem ifni add more arms? Xd

gedrekt

gedrekt

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 18 posts
  • Army Name:Gedrekt's Tredd Headz

Its got the same sweep rule as the knights and the mork and gorkanaut. Whats crazy is the knights are actually a far better model from a melee perspective. They need to sort the stomps out fast. It shouldnt be any more than 650 points.

That statement sounds about right for what is roughly a Knight with a Battlewagon stuck on it.

But is it bad wording or are we not reading it as intended? I guess that's where I am going with my op. 
I wouldn't bring it up except a guy in a comment section being rude to me and I want to make sure I am correct in how I "interpret the rule."  
It was a struggle not to be rude in return over there.  
Driving me nutz!

Was that on Da40kOrks Stompa video? (I wasn't the one being rude to you if it was, just to be clear.)

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,330 posts

Was that on Da40kOrks Stompa video? (I wasn't the one being rude to you if it was, just to be clear.)

Yes. It's fine. It was just enough to get the Brock Samson eye twitch from me .  ((( Urge to wreck face intensifies. )))  :bang 
The part that I found rude was in the first reply to my comment. Something like "How is that hard to comprehend." Which just seemed a bit snarky. 
The reason it was hard to comprehend is I had no idea where to look up the rule or that there was a rule to look up. So I replied with less information than I needed both times. I did post both here and in a club FB group to get an explanation of what I was missing.  I'm actually thrilled I was wrong. My Gorkanauts are ready to go beast mode now. I used two of them on Sunday and picked them thinking 6 attacks was all they had and that was a lot of good strong attacks. Except...Now I know they are better than that!   And I'll need to put that WAAAGH Banner Nob in a list with them.. Supper Killy Action plan is GO!  :lol

Thanks everyone for the help sorting this out.  :thumbs 

Emoticons are too much fun... 

• Nefairius and PhillyT like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stompa, Gorkanaut