Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Scratchbuild Big Squiggoth for Snakebites

- - - - - Squiggoth Snakebite

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

Apologies, I haven't posted for a while.

Anyway, I've recently invested in some Savage Orruks to make my next clan with, as I wanted some Feral type Snakebite Orks to go with my Goffs, Evil Sunz ect.

I'm still waiting for my new boyz, but as a side project to keep me enthused, I looked into making a squiggoth for them. I can't afford a FW one, and to be perfectly honest I didn't want one as it's too metalic looking. I wanted something more feral. So, after a bit of research online, I found a suitable model to base my squiggoth on and ordered it.

It was a Tamiya : 1:35 scale Triceratops Eurycephalus. I then started making a Howdah out of some bits of an old trukk and a scrapped Goblin wolf chariot. Here's what I came up with.

t.15232143_1360651580613155_14482054230261

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

15241924_1361110543900592_37361591111292

Scale comparison to a battlewagon

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

After a lot of messing about to get the skin correct, here is the near completed model. I can post the step by step if you'd like, but it's picture heavy.

https://scontent-lhr...9da&oe=58B77286

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

For some bizarre reason I can't reply, so I'll try the quote option and see if that works.

Thanks for the feedback  Badfang. I've changed the picture link to my website instead of my facebook page so the updated pics should be accessible now. 

Scale wise, the Big Squiggoth seems to be somewhere between a trukk and a BW, with the howdah being a bit taller than either, (A BW with ard case and all guns attached) I took a gamble on the mdel as it was only €10 plus postage, and was being mailed from within the same country so cheap cheap, rather than €100 for  Frogeworld alternative. The Gigantic Squiggoth is about the size of a stompa on its side, so the nearest alternative I can find to the FW model is a Mamuk from GW. (Possibly a future project). 

After some trial and error on painting the skin of the beastie, I'm very happy with the outcome, so I might buy another couple of them too

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,144 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Thought I hadn't seen your name for a while :biggrin

Beastie looks proppa although I'm surprised at how small it is (1/35 is about 150% of the nominal 1/56 that 28mm is usually rated at - I thought those things were bigger than that, still wouldn't want it sitting on yer noo buggie though :bang ). Howdah fits well on it, nice job :thumbs

ps Facebook pix weren't working :?

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,144 posts

https://wordpress.co...ress.com/158413

For some bizarre reason I can't reply, so I'll try the quote option and see if that works.

.... I've changed the picture link to my website instead of my facebook page so the updated pics should be accessible now. 

I've had one or two problems myself trying to reply to stuff - trying again later seems to work usually. Trying to look at the 'wordpress' pix requires setting up an a/c and logging in, is there a 'direct' link option for the pix?

I took a gamble on the mdel as it was only €10 plus postage, and was being mailed from within the same country so cheap cheap, rather than €100 for  Frogeworld alternative. The Gigantic Squiggoth is about the size of a stompa on its side, so the nearest alternative I can find to the FW model is a Mamuk from GW. (Possibly a future project). 

After some trial and error on painting the skin of the beastie, I'm very happy with the outcome, so I might buy another couple of them too

Don't know if you use Milliput or GS but they're both pretty good for spacing kits out to make them bigger. :cheers

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

Thanks a million Badfang. I've never tried milliput or GS, though I've seen GS used.

I have tried to stick the pics on Google and Youtube, but I'm not sure it works. The pictures with a partially completed base are the final ones, but as you can see I experimented a bit on hide colours and choices of Pigboy or Goblin Big Boss.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

Don't know if you use Milliput or GS but they're both pretty good for spacing kits out to make them bigger. :cheers

I think it's the correct size, but if anyone can give me the measurements for a Big Squiggoth that'd be great. I know what the sizes for the Gigantian Squiggoth are, but couldn't find the sizes for the smaller model.

My model is 11cm high to the top of the  howdah, 22cm long from tip of horn to tip of tail and 9cm wide across the horns (8cm at butt) and it fits comfortable on a 12cm oval flyer base, which I've seen other Big Squiggoth based on.

Garr

Garr

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 283 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gar'un Mek-Klaw!
Big Squiggoths are 120mm highx 150mm long by 80mm wide, my partner bought me one recently to cheer me up.

20161204_011004.jpg
  • Garslag and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,144 posts

Well that saves a lot of scrolling :biggrin  Teefs and toe nails look a bit bright for my liking but the hide looks well proppa :thumbs

Should have thought but Garr's post reminded me of this which is always useful for scratchbuilding

http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=50382

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

Big Squiggoths are 120mm highx 150mm long by 80mm wide, my partner bought me one recently to cheer me up.

Thanks for that Garr. I know my model has a longer tail, but that's no biggy and it's slightly shorter in height, but a slightly  thicker base should solve that, and also the banners and flags overcome that too.  I'm reluctant to shorten the tail though. Generally they are pretty close. Much appreciated. 

I do hope the gift was a success. It would certainly cheer me up if i got those two beauts. 

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

Well that saves a lot of scrolling :biggrin  Teefs and toe nails look a bit bright for my liking but the hide looks well proppa :thumbs

Should have thought but Garr's post reminded me of this which is always useful for scratchbuilding

http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=50382

Thanks again Badfang. I'll have a look at the teef and Klaws tomorrow, maybe darken them like the horns or another wash or two should tone them down.  :thumbs

And that's a great idea with the dimensions. Thanks for the link. 

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 827 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
As badfang already mentioned, the howdah is really well executed, and a touch of paint seems really to have taken this to the next level.

Since you've mentioned that you're looking at getting a couple more of this kit, I'd like to see what happens if you try shaving off the dinosaur's crest (probably the wrong word, but I didn't see the latest Jurassic Park movie). I think a move like that might go a ways towards making it look a little less like a triceratops. Perhaps you could bodgy up a big steel jaw or something for the new one too?
"Parry the 6!"

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

As badfang already mentioned, the howdah is really well executed, and a touch of paint seems really to have taken this to the next level.

Since you've mentioned that you're looking at getting a couple more of this kit, I'd like to see what happens if you try shaving off the dinosaur's crest (probably the wrong word, but I didn't see the latest Jurassic Park movie). I think a move like that might go a ways towards making it look a little less like a triceratops. Perhaps you could bodgy up a big steel jaw or something for the new one too?

Thanks for the feedback Garslag.

I had contemplated shaving off the bony frill (apparently that's what its called) but as I was aiming for a more Snakebite Feral Ork version, I decided to keep the frill and go for a bony jawbone, (which I happened to have a couple of in my bits box). If I get another two, I might try to do one more like the FW version.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

From the triceratops conversions I have seen in the past, removing the bony frill is not a good thing. We have a mental picture of what's going on behind that frill and it rarely matches what the model actually looks like! :lol :scowl That said, it could still be done, but I would expect the GSing involved would be significant. Which is fine if you're up for that and pretty much a requirement if you going to use the same base model and don't want them to be too similar. Of course, there's an argument to having them be very similar... i.e. they are the same sort of squiggoth. Then you would want to concentrate on changing the pose (and howdah, etc.) to avoid the "saminess" (yes, I just made that word up now. I am shameless.)

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,441 posts

From the triceratops conversions I have seen in the past, removing the bony frill is not a good thing. We have a mental picture of what's going on behind that frill and it rarely matches what the model actually looks like! :lol :scowl That said, it could still be done, but I would expect the GSing involved would be significant. Which is fine if you're up for that and pretty much a requirement if you going to use the same base model and don't want them to be too similar. Of course, there's an argument to having them be very similar... i.e. they are the same sort of squiggoth. Then you would want to concentrate on changing the pose (and howdah, etc.) to avoid the "saminess" (yes, I just made that word up now. I am shameless.)

I can see it being a challenge to remove the bony frill, that's true. I would prefer to change the leg pose and the howdah style so that they are similar without being to much of a saminess. (It could yet be in the Oxford Dictionary ) :eek

It would be interesting to try and model one in mid-rear, ready to stomp a termie or two.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,144 posts

) to avoid the "saminess" (yes, I just made that word up now

You spelt it wrong ;)

• Garslag and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Squiggoth, Snakebite