Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shock Attack Gun

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 186 posts

So since the codex dropped i've been taking the shock attack gun because its an iconic ork weapon and i'd never used it before.

I run Deathskullz and the Mek has the big-killa boss trait for +1 to wound but despite all this it has failed to do anything in any game i've played.  It is simply too random.

We all know what it could do, but has anyone had any real, consistent luck with it?

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 394 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
Only additional advice I could give you is to use the relic one instead (from Vigilus dread special detachment).
It costs 1 additional CP but now you shoot 2d6 instead of 1d6.
  • qluaid likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

The SAG is garbage.  The Relic version is a step up but its still garbage.  Too random.

• Giganotosaurus and Skumdreg like this

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 394 posts

Only additional advice I could give you is to use the relic one instead (from Vigilus dread special detachment).
It costs 1 additional CP but now you shoot 2d6 instead of 1d6.

And if you do so remember you could also use a 2CP stratagem to shoot twice (kustom ammo). So up to 4d6 shoots out of the shock per turn.

Also each time with DeathSkull rerolls.

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 276 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

Occasionally I get good results with the SAG. This is actually how it worked 'back in the day', with scatter and Misfire dice. One really good result per game, great if it is turn 1 or 2! 

It works to force your opponent to avoid it, restricting movement. I think the Mek guns work better, though.

Blakkreaper

Blakkreaper

Da Ladz Wrangler

• Freebooterz
  • 2,425 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Grimgull

Best result I've had is giving him the opportunist trait, and gibbing some poor buff-giving character who thought they were safe. But the SAG is not a good pick, and it has to compete with actually good picks. I can't justify it unless my list needs a handicap (not often in 8th).

Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 394 posts

And if you do so remember you could also use a 2CP stratagem to shoot twice (kustom ammo). So up to 4d6 shoots out of the shock per turn.

Also each time with DeathSkull rerolls.

Combine with MoreDDD for maximum effect. I am just realizing myself this could be a decent "big-thingy" killer. Granted...6CP (1 relic+1 special detach+2 kustom ammo +2 moredakka).

So yeah, not very competitive.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts

Even with all those CP expended, its still too random.  It is just not worth putting this much work in.  Which is too bad because it should be great.  If they locked it at S8 it would be another story.

greggles

greggles

Paranoid

• Boyz
  • 2,107 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Mine has never done anything overwhelming in any game.  It's really just a good item to take if you are having a big mek baby sit some mek guns and don't feel like the KFF.

Nym

Nym

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 317 posts
  • Army Name:Mad'Bull's Ashwalkers

The SAG is garbage.  The Relic version is a step up but its still garbage.  Too random.

The basic SAG is garbage, I agree.

The relic version on a Deathskulls Big Mek with Big Killa Boss is actually the strongest weapon in all 40k. Remember it's an untargetable 80pts model (84 if you pay for the Grot Oiler meant to intercept Shieldbreaker missiles). It's not without weakness (-1 to-hit and high invulnerable saves) but it's 80pts...

Last friday I had it deal 20 wounds to a Castellan Knight and basically everytime I use it, it kills more than 4 times its cost.

Bashing stuff in the grim future of the 41st millenium since 1999... That's nearly 39000 years of experience !

Dribble Joy

Dribble Joy

Moronik

• Bad Moonz
  • 2,471 posts
  • Army Name:Nuggruz's Iron Klads.
8th is like Warmachine - it's all about combos/synergy.

On it's own the SAG is pretty terrible, but much is true of lots of things.

Also, as pointed out, it's cheap and can be a good HQ choice for a Spearhead.
  • Blakkreaper likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts
But its realky not that cheap...

You can take a KFF mek for the same price, who is almost an obligatory take.

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 394 posts

But its realky not that cheap...

You can take a KFF mek for the same price, who is almost an obligatory take.

Absolutely no for a Death skull. The 6++ embedded makes the KFF almost redundant.
  • greggles likes this

AnthonyS

AnthonyS

Grot Orderly

• Boyz
  • 186 posts

I'll keep running him, as i need to fill an HQ slot but am glad for the feedback.  Its not just me who is struggling with him.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts

Absolutely no for a Death skull. The 6++ embedded makes the KFF almost redundant.

I struggle to make meaningful saves with the KFF most times. A 6++ is essentially meaningless to me as a real defense for important objects. Youre right though, it does reduce the need for a KFF mek in those lists. I am still not convinced that makes the sag a real choice.
  • Blakkreaper likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,448 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
You know it's bad when Phillyt dislikes it. I XD
  • Blakkreaper and Giganotosaurus like this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,448 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz

I struggle to make meaningful saves with the KFF most times. A 6++ is essentially meaningless to me as a real defense for important objects. Youre right though, it does reduce the need for a KFF mek in those lists. I am still not convinced that makes the sag a real choice.

Honestly, screw statistics. When I play Beakies I hit less times than Orks and always roll 2s for armour save. At least when I play orks I roll like 60 armour save and get a few so I feel like I actually did something. XD played a game recently and got absolutely destroyed as my Beakies failed to do anything of use while all dying in droves to poor 1s and 2s armour save rolls.
  • PhillyT likes this

Big Mekboy Chumba

Big Mekboy Chumba

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 149 posts
  • Army Name:Da Steel Boot Boyz

Honestly, screw statistics. When I play Beakies I hit less times than Orks and always roll 2s for armour save. At least when I play orks I roll like 60 armour save and get a few so I feel like I actually did something. XD played a game recently and got absolutely destroyed as my Beakies failed to do anything of use while all dying in droves to poor 1s and 2s armour save rolls.

I’ve never really thought about it but, does bad luck affect ork players less? With their poor saves it’s expected that boyz die in droves so we get more numbers to compensate. A round of rolling ones on all our armor saves doesn’t cause much more casualties than a round of rolling the average because they are expected to die. Whereas the same dice rolls for a beakie army would be devastating due to not being able to absorb the damage in the same way. The same logic could be applied to shooting! I suppose it makes orks an ideal army for people who don’t want their battle plan thwarted by bad luck though nothing is fullproof obviously, just less susceptible!

On the topic of the SAG, while it’s performance isn’t great it’s the best we’ve got for a back line mek. I guess we gotta think of a way to get more use out of the back line mek than just shooting. Have him repair/hang out with ranged vehicles? Forgeworld tanks or mayby Quad KMB armed deffdreads?....xD might wanna be badmoons for that one though!
If I break it, I'll fix it.
If you break it, I'll fix you!

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,567 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Looking at basic probabilities, orks have to be as lucky to hit (1/3) as beekies have to be unlucky to miss (1/3), they also have to be twice as lucky to make an unmodified save (1/6) as beekies have to be unlucky to fail to make an unmodified save (1/3). Both of the preceding statements assume an average distribution of D6 results but the reason that D6's are rolled is to introduce a 'random' element - ie non-average distributions of D6 results. For ork shooting, the number of possible 'fail to hit' results (1,2,3,4) is twice that of the beekies (1,2) so beekies are twice as likely to score an above average number of hits than orks are, and the number of 'fail to save' results are two and a half times more likely to occur for orks (1,2,3,4,5) as they are for beekies (1,2), making orks two and a half times more succeptible to scoring below average saves.

Having removed the KFF mek from the kodex, as Chumba says, the only real use for meks seems to be restoring lost wounds on vehicles :?

Valdrog

Valdrog

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
  • Army Name:Cuban Waaaaaghhh

One SAG is not gonna do anythig, i play with 4 , 3 Codex and one on a Bike from the Index, they kill knights and other 2+ save high toughness multiwound stuff.

• greggles likes this