Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da Squigwigz--Questions on Bits and using Quickshade

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
  • Army Name:Da Squigwigs

Apparently I have the newer kit. I will test fit the arms then glue them on after painting. Thanks, derry.

• derry likes this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,711 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

There's two common schools of thought: build then paint or build and paint. The latter avoids struggling with hard to reach places and derry is da boss at dealing with masses of pieces. While the former declares that hard to reach places aren't worth struggling with because you can't see them anyway. I find myself in the build then paint camp most of the time. Especially boyz, where there's so many of them I can't be arsed to paint the bitz that no one sees. However "show" pieces get the build and paint treatment. Like my grot fighta-bomma where I detailed the cockpit and painted the pilot grot replete with flyer's scarf before gluing on the canopy (which obscures much of the lovingly applied detail).

• derry, Garslag and Boss Badgrub like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts

So I think I'm definitely going to go with the Brownish paint scheme. Largely because it makes the Ork hair the focus, but also because it means I can make Da Squigwigz match these:

gw-age-of-sigmar-ironjawz-gork-mork-dice

Guys, I think I'm way more excited about having dice that match my Kill Team than I should be. Am I a weirdo?

Second, what about earbud foam covers for doing Ork Afros?

51Tpgv5Mf6L.jpg

• Garslag likes this

PointBlank

PointBlank

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 30 posts

PCi6fiE.jpg

I don't have any foam buds, but judging by the jelly buds and the 'ard case bud, I think they might be just too big. Maaaaybe just one boy out of the whole squad who just got carried away. If you're ordering off the Internet, you'd probably be best going for the greenstuff option. As it's essentially just a simple ball with a few small holes poked in it for texture, it seems as good an introduction to GS as anything else.

Related, I'm sure a simple flat Mohawk can be made by cutting the right shape out of a piece of cardboard. Maybe several of the same shape stuck together. Or a useless plastic card sent as spam. The bonus is that it'll act as a fine structural support if you ever want go back later with greenstuff.

• Boss Badgrub likes this

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts

Yep, you're right. Those look way too big. I'll go the Greenstuff or Cottonball route, then. Since the fist motif is often prominent in Ork designs (Like in the boss poles pictured) I wonder if I can come up with something to play off of the Black Power style Afro pick on one of the boyz for a fun reference?

Ork_Warboss.gif

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts

Alright, friends. From here on out this is going to be my Work In Progress Blog for Da Squigwigz. I'll try to post images as I go along.

I've got two images at the moment. The first is a picture is a size comparison for Kromlech's running Orc torso since there was some question about that up thread:sbPigL8.jpg

From Left to Right: Ork Boy Torso and Legs on 25mm Base (GW Boyz Kit), Kromlech Running Orc Body on 25mm Base (Kromlech Conversion bit), Ork Kommando w/ Big Shoota on 25mm base (OOP GW Blister Kit)

The Second Image is a bigger version of the Kommando. That's my best attempt at giving him an Afro. I modeled it on the way Questlove often wears his hair. I'm hoping to figure out greenstuff so I can add a pick. We'll see how that goes. The hair actually came from "sculpting" some packing foam. It was puffy and I just added the part to it.

rWsRkal.jpg

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,711 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

I would cut the pick out of thin p-card. GS will likely give you too soft an edge as it relaxes a bit while curing (unless you work it right up til the end of its work time). So it's really better suited to organic and soft features like hair as opposed to hard features like gunz.

***EDIT*** just trying to save you some of the time and frustration that my early experiences with gs gave me.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
I appreciate the advice. I'd rather not bang my head against the wall trying to Greenstuff it if it's not going to work. I'll see if I can find some thin card and cut the shape with a hobby knife.

PointBlank

PointBlank

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 30 posts

Don't forget spraypaint will melt foam but otherwise that might actually work. It's a pretty good shape.

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
Crap, that's glued on. Looks like I'll have to try and remove it before priming. Thanks for the heads up. If nothing else I hope you guys are getting a good laugh out of all my newbie mistakes. ;)

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

You can always fully coat the hair in paint on primer first, or a layer of white glue, to protect the hair from melting.

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Boss Badgrub like this

Boss Badgrub

Boss Badgrub

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
I don't have paint on primer, but I do have PVA glue. I will give it a try.
  • Mad Grot Docsnik likes this