Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork Stompa - Potato Head (reproduction of Irondog's Potato Head St

* * * * * 1 votes ork stompa potato head potato head stompa irondog studios reproduction conversion titan tater titan super heavy spud

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts
I haven't logged into this site in yeeaaars....much to my shame. I've been playing orks more lately than my beakies, and I'm loving it!  For some reason I actually play better with my boyz than my Beakies. Odd. Maybe I feel more free to be reckless and not so paranoid about losing troops? I dunno.  Anyway, I figured I should come back. I've got a bunch of Orks painted, and am working on a number of conversion projects, so it's a perfect excuse!

First up is a project I've been working on for quite some time.  Years ago, I saw Irondog's Potato head Stompa (http://www.irondogst.../mek_tater.html), and immediately fell in love.  My friends and I chuckled, and I jokingly said I should make that one for my own army. My friends challenged me to do just that, and I agreed to try, "one day" and they called my bluff. Never, ever, call my bluff!  That day came about a year ago when I found a few bags of potato head toys in a thift shop. I paid $10 and got 7 potato heads, and figured this was the opportunity I'd been waiting for.  Seven months later, I'm finally near completion!

Now, because I had so many potato heads, I knew and decided from day 1 that I'd be making more than one stompa.  Thus, I decided to forgo originality in my first attempt. Instead, I opted to try and reproduce Irondog's stompa as closely as I could. I'd hoped this would let me focus on learning how to approach such a project, see some of the challenges he'd faced, and find solutions to them for future reference. One of the biggest challenges was structural integrity, which I'll show later.  So - all of this is to say that I freely admit upfront that I get ZERO points for originality with this project, because this is unashamedly a reproduction. I say unashamedly, because good grief, man, just LOOK at Irondog's original!  It's a thing of hilarious beauty, and I wanted it. I wanted it so badly.

And now, I have it!  Almost.

To start, these are images of my early stages. I had to split the feet, and immediately saw that the malleable plastic used in those feet would likely cause future stability issues if I used them to hold up any part of the legs. Also, my dremel tool died on me during this phase (as in, it would no longer hold bits in tightly).   So, that sucked. I had to cut the holes manually. Sigh.
772756_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St
772823_md-stompa%20foot%20-%201st%20atte
772757_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

As I started to cut out the holes for the legs, and get ideas about how to pose him, I immediately realized that getting him to stand upright consistently, with all that weight on one foot, was going to be a challenge. Irondog had used foamcore for a lot of his initial stages, and while he used wire later, it looked from his blog that he'd just used the wire to form the shape of the legs themselves - I was less certain about how he'd secure/supported the infrastructure beyond that.

the interior of my stompa's shell:
772825_md-inside%20guts.JPG

the legs started very skinny and weak looking:
772827_md-first%20attempt%20at%20leg.JPG
772758_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

look, he dances!
772826_md-Titan%20dances%21.JPG

Some of my initial ideas for how he'd look may have been a bit silly...and taken the dancing concept a bit too far..."hello my darlin', hello my honey, hello my ragtime gaaaal..."
772824_md-first%20%27design%27.JPG

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts

Yet, the biggest problem remained the structure and his integrity. I didn't know how I was going to get him to stay upright  :question: 

Eventually, I started to get a better sense of how to make him more rigid, strong, and posed the way I wanted him to be.  I ended up taking the legs back apart and doubling up the coat hanger wire with copper wire surrounding it, which immediately strengthened the legs themselves.  Then, I decided on a thicker (1/4" thick) sheet of masonite for the base. Using a router, I carved a groove into the underside, and made a hole through which I could draw the wire under and bend/loop it. This loop could then be screwed down into the masonite and later glued to keep it in place.

772759_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St
772842_md-stompa%20leg%20pt2.JPG772761_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

Once I'd solved my issues with structure, I moved on to the next biggest part of this: the arms!  I needed to make a super gatling gun/Supa Gatla, and a big massive choppa/chain weapon.  The gatling gun seemed simple enough, as I needed to make barrels.  I already had 2 monster sized bases, and used a pack of cheap pens from the dollar store, and took the outer shells to make the barrels themselves. I found some thin copper strips with holes in them, which I could use for the housing. Then I just encased this assembly in foamcore:

772762_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

For the barrels of the gun itself, I used large markers, and cut them down to size:
772849_md-supa%20gatla%21.JPG

The arm was a piece of coat hanger wire wedged deep inside the foamcore, with a thing plastic tube inside to give it some rigidity and something for the glue to hold onto.  Then it was a matter of building up the arm using pieces of tubing/marker shells etc.

The chain weapon/titan CCW was very, very fun to put together!  I wanted a massive chain sword like Irondog had made, and it was simple: foamcore for the interior body/structure, then platsicard for the exterior.  I should have been more patient, and waited to find a thicker material to use for the blades themselves. As it was, I cut pieces of plastic sheet/credit cards and glued them together to form the blades--but in the end I figure that's orky anyway!  ~8) 

772763_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

Attaching the arms to the stompa itself was going to be another tricky thing--especially once I realized I'd actually short changed the length of my wire for the arms and was now stuck with what I had, lest I rip the wire back out of the chain saw/gatling gun  :*)   But then I noticed the pens I'd bought:  while the outer shell was what I'd wanted for the barrels, I realized that the pen tips themselves came to precisely the right size to fit perfectly around the gauge of coat hanger wire I was using!   Even better, the other end of these tips fit perfectly into the existing holes of the potato head itself!    :)   I was able to extend the arms and add more wire on the interior of the potato head to tie down inside to the rest of the infrastructure.

772829_md-arm%20pins%20-%20pen%20lids%21
772828_md-arm%20pins%20-%20pen%20lids%21

With that done, he was starting to look like something!
772764_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St
772765_md-Ork%20Conversion%2C%20Ork%20St

• warhead01 likes this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts
Once I had the basic body constructed, it was time to work on armour. I just used thin cardboard - like cereal box thickness - and cut random shaped and sized pieces to plaster all over this thing.  Then, the TEEF!

772766_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

And then came the rivets.  Oh, good grief, the rivets.  I researched this for a long time (a few weeks at least), because I wanted to avoid just slicing plastic rod like most tutorials were recommending. That seemed tedious, dangerous, inconsistent, and inefficient.  In the end, I used a leather punch to make holes in the plasticard, which was still inefficient (one at a time), but was loads safer (safe for my carpel tunnel I've now developed) and it's way more consistent.  But it's just as tedious (doing it one at a time, and, I could only make 4-5 at a time before the plastic circles got jammed and clogged the leather punch's barrels).

772769_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Le

You'll also note above that I'd redone some aspects of the gattling arm.  Before, I noticed it was swivelling, which was what I wanted, but it was too loose, and was losing integrity. So I ended up taking it back off and reinforcing it with another coat hanger wire, that ran through the back of the gun, up into the arm, through the potato head hull and upwards.  It's Way more sturdy, and bonus--the added wire can double as a random fuel line!

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts
and then, it was on to painting!!

basic black priming:

772770_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

I drybrushed a layer of 50/50 mix of vallejo bronze and Tamiya brown, to get a rusty effect (I lacked Tin Bitz or its equivalent)

772771_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

And then drybrushed a layer of Tamiya gun metal (though I neglected to take a photo of that stage. whoops).  I then put on the base coat of red, a bit of blue, etc.  I used Bugman's Glow for where I planned on painting yellow to give it something brighter for a base, but one that would also mute the yellow:

772772_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts
and currently, this past week, I've painted in more details, worked in washes, and weathering. I'm not really satisfied with the weathering, or the tones of the colours--it looks too metal, almost?  I don't know. Suggestions are welcome.  Also, I tried to use OSL on the one big eye, like Irondog had, but it's my first attempt, so it's not turning out as I'd hoped.  I'll have to give it another try.

772752_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

772750_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

772749_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

The Power Plant:

772775_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

772751_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

Some detail shots:

the Deff Kannon:  

772773_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

Those lovin', seducin' eyez...

772774_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

the big shoota gunna!  This guy can rotate *almost& 360 degrees! :D

772948_md-big%20shoota%20gunna.JPG

A poor sod who's about to get SQUASHED!!!

772949_md-Run%20AwaY%21.JPG

and his foot!

772776_md-Irondog%20Reproduction%2C%20Me

So at this point, as I said, I'm detailing and such.  I'm going to eventually replace those grot rokkits, because they didn't turn out as I'd hoped. For now they're okay for the basic idea though.  But I feel there's something just a bit "messy'" about this paint job - and I don't mean orky 'messy' - I just mean unfinished, somehow.  Any suggestions/thoughts/comments are welcome!!  Thanks for taking the time :)

• Itinerate Ork, DocNuK and r_squared like this

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 1,004 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I haven't looked at the original for some time (maybe it's time I did) but looks to be a very faithful reproduction. I will be interested to see how you apply what you have learnt to the rest of the mob.
"Parry the 6!"

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Nice build - the paint job really makes it look like it belongs to Orks 

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts
So...now that I'm almost done on the first one, I'm going to turn my attention to the OTHER 7 potato heads I picked up last year... :) 

So far I've begun another model.  I loved Rabtar's potato head stompa: http://www.dakkadakk...ry/328934-.html , the idea of flipping the potato head around and using a detached head is ingenius, and adds a lot of versatility to this type of project.  As it happened, among the bag of potato heads I picked up were two mini potato heads (about 1/4 the size), and these could work perfectly for a head!

So, I'm going to try to make a big mek stompa next:

773544_md-Conversion%2C%20Ork%20Conversi

The beginning of the lifta droppa needs a ton of work. I was rushing to get this and another stompa done in time for an apocalypse game, but now I'm going back to the drawing board to really sort out what these will look like.

773540_md-Conversion%2C%20Ork%20Conversi

For instance, this prototype for a mega klaw is really far too large and awkward looking:773543_md-Conversion%2C%20Ork%20Conversi

But the head is going to have a crow's nest for sure!  This will rotate 180 degrees:

773545_md-Conversion%2C%20Ork%20Conversi

Thanks for looking!  Any comments or questions or suggestions about where I should take this, what I should add, etc., would be welcome!  I'm envisioning two large tesla coil like structures rising from this guy's back with the power plant.  I'll need to add a deff kannon or two as well (maybe incorporate the deff kannon into the klaw somehow?  I don't know).

• Nonebutone and r_squared like this

Total AnOrky

Total AnOrky

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 677 posts
  • Army Name:AnOrkysts
Really cool. I have always wanted to do a potatoead stompa.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts

Thanks everyone so much for the feedback!  It's been a very fun project. In fact, the hardest part has been forcing myself not to rush it, but to take my time to ensure I would be satisfied at the end.

Moriouce

Moriouce

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 46 posts
  • Army Name:Bark Squig-Grin's Dakka-Ladz

The first one is true epicness! How is this Project running? 

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 406 posts

The first one is true epicness! How is this Project running? 

Thanks!  Well, the project is still going (these things take a long time to make!).  iv'e competed two of them now, and am nearing completion of the third (the big mek stompa).  You can see the progress in my other thread, "Grokguzz's WIP Shenanigans" or something like that.

SirTainly

SirTainly

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 160 posts

Very cool, I love the original model and it's great to see someone else having paying it homage - you've done a good job there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ork, stompa, potato head, potato head stompa, irondog studios, reproduction, conversion, titan, tater titan, super heavy spud