Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Codex HQ Challenge - Counting participants!

* * * * * 1 votes HQ Bigmek painboy warboss mek weirdboy

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

PeaceCraft

PeaceCraft

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 819 posts
  • Army Name:Da KogDeff Broozaz

Hey guys!
with the new codex coming in, i realised i have to make different new characters to be able to field all the new fancy shininess of the lovely triple HQ slots. so many lovely options with relics and whatnot.

I figured we might hold a little challenge for HQ building, for bragging rights.
At the end we can hold a vote for the most badass character to come out of this! this could motivate us to renew our HQ selection for the new era in orkdom ;)

Do you think one month long enough for us to assemble/kitbash/sculpt and paint 1 single character?

EDIT-updating the rulez here so we can get to posting our updates on this topic:

KOMPETISHUN RULE TOPIC  - ENTRY CRITERIA:
I think the point is to compete and also motivate each other to finish new orky projects, so If you have a character thats been assembled but not painted gathering dust in the closet, we might as well get any excuse to field him in the new codex with proppa modeling dignity  :D 

A- Only painting with no assembly is perfectly legal: Well, not everyone is a super converter so i think only paintjobs are fine as well. as long as you post WIPs so we know its not a previously finished model. although, knowing our forum`s taste, i bet a fully converted and painted badass character will totally outclass and get more votes from our comunity than a simple painted AoBR boss (who is perfectly legal anyway).

B- Old model repaints are ok: I would even be OK with someone stripping an old paint off and giving a character a shiny new paintjob. You want to take that old warboss you painted 10 years ago and give him a nice new paintjob with your improved skillset? now`s your chance! I would just require the contestant to submit a picture of the model stripped, and the WIP on top of that.

C- Multiple entries are OK: In this regard of motivating people to make models -i know i said 1 character, but we might as well post all our projects of new orky HQs, as long as they arent completed. The whole point is to motivate folks, so if you want to make all the characters in the new book, why not?
i think even special characters like snikrot who are leader type characters despite not being exactly HQ should be valid (but not regular Nobs. we want proppa characters!). did i forget any other exception?

D- Restriction on finished models: i think the only restriction for entries would be submiting something thats already finished. So to avoid that, i think contestants would have to upload pics: starting the project, building/painting WIP steps and finished project would be mandatory so we can assert proppa mekshop conduct.

E- You got do do your own stuff: Yeah this is kinda self explanatory, we are competing for bragging rights and hobby motivation, i dont think there is anything to brag about if you hand over your stuff to a hired brush.  

KOMPETISHUN POSTING RULEZ:
All contestants will have to post the starting point, middle WIP and finished model on the main thread wich will be the official place for the contest, and then I`ll make a voting poll after the deadline and open it up for votes (i hope this new forum has a poll type post feature).
I think contestants arent required to post every single WIP picture in this oficial  thread  - you can detail your build in your own thread.
But the mandatory posting of pics on the official thread is just enough to know you are participating -so thats the  beggining, middle, finished project. but you can post every little detail here if you want as well, its up to you.

I think thats it, what do you guys think?

oh, and im offering a prize to whoever wins the challenge! will anounce it soon ;) good luck ya gitz!

Lets set the date for 1 month from today, the day im updating the rules here on the first post -9th of july to  10th of august

it will be a bit more han a month since this topic started but will give folks the oportunity to get in on the action ;)

• GorFrag and Badfang Brassaxe like this

GorFrag

GorFrag

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,043 posts
  • Army Name:135th BoneEaters

I'm in!

Set all weapons to "WAR CRIMES".

Big_Mek_Boomsprocket

Big_Mek_Boomsprocket

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 135 posts
  • Army Name:Big Mek Boomsprocket's redpants reaverz

Count me in, my SAG mek has needed to exist for a while now.

Orks is made fer fightin and gettin shot up before dey gets ter klose kombat... :crybaby

-Big Mek Boomsprocket

Fight the prices, sign this petition: https://www.change.o...tures/u/8516714

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts

Sounds fun,  but seeing as how I'm "between houses" and most of my painting and converting stuff is in storage, I'd be hard pressed to join in, as much as I would want to.  I just picked up the new SAG mek too..

I'll be lookin' on with interest, ready to loot ideas. ;)

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,057 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAAAGGGHHHH! O'da Red Orks!

Already started, and I'm down! :D

Just cause wez a bit pinkish don't mean we ain't proppa!

Teek

Teek

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 70 posts

Only new conversions? Or can I blow the dust off an old (like, 2+years) WIP?

• Drakon7 likes this

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,057 posts

I vote old WIP are okay as long as they are under half completed.

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Kommando

• Blood Axez
  • 969 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz

Count me in, so is this going to be like the other mek challenges? Or is there going to be a master thread?

Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krimzun Feendzz

If previously-WiP is okay, what do we mean by "under half completed?" Under half-built or built-but-not-painted? (I guess already totally built is cheating but I thought I'd ask anyway.)

Mork knows there are always plenty of unfinished projects hanging around! Just a matter of finding the right one to work on immediately.

The Universe is Orkdom.

QUOTE (Ork Codex 4th Edition)
Gork and Mork are divine powerhouses, deities so strong they are never truly defeated. They simply shrug off the attacks of other gods with a raucous laugh. Gork grins, bearing his long teeth, and lands a mighty blow on his adversary's head with a spiked club the size of a comet. Mork, the master of cunning, waits until his foe isn't looking before clobbering him with a low blow.

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,057 posts

If previously-WiP is okay, what do we mean by "under half completed?" Under half-built or built-but-not-painted? (I guess already totally built is cheating but I thought I'd ask anyway.)

Mork knows there are always plenty of unfinished projects hanging around! Just a matter of finding the right one to work on immediately.

I would say half built. :P

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade

I would say half built. :P

Awww...  I know a certain Brewboss that needs some paint.

• orkdom likes this
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

orkdom

orkdom

Flash Git

• Deathskullz
  • 1,064 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krimzun Feendzz

Yeah I have a nice little Zagstrukk conversion that'd be cool to paint up, but aww well. And 6 2nd Ed. Madboyz hanging around who could be Wyrdboyz.

The Universe is Orkdom.

QUOTE (Ork Codex 4th Edition)
Gork and Mork are divine powerhouses, deities so strong they are never truly defeated. They simply shrug off the attacks of other gods with a raucous laugh. Gork grins, bearing his long teeth, and lands a mighty blow on his adversary's head with a spiked club the size of a comet. Mork, the master of cunning, waits until his foe isn't looking before clobbering him with a low blow.

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,057 posts

Or we can have two categories.  One for painting, and one for building. :D

the 1st pip

the 1st pip

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 391 posts
  • Army Name:Gorgutz Blud Axe Freebooterz

Yeah, I've got a couple of fresh HQ conversions I have just started.  Should be fun.

My current Ork Deffwing project Deffwing
My Ork Album Blood Axes

alien027

alien027

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 192 posts
  • Army Name:Green skin

I'm in, when you want the pic?

PeaceCraft

PeaceCraft

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 819 posts
  • Army Name:Da KogDeff Broozaz

:thumbs hey, nice to see everybody onboard!
Well, everyone seems OK with one month, so lets start the 1 month clock as soon as we agree on "tha rules".

@teek, and orkdom: Hmmm.. in my opinion i think we might as well accept anything thats not completed (fully painted).
@Magus gar kan: I wasnt even thinking that far ahead, but you make an important point. i think we have to have a master thread -lets decide on the posting rules ;) good one!
@Drakon: I think we should do it in one category - so it`ll be buzzing around the meks garage like the one big world cup-like event. it will focus our waaagh hype ;)

KOMPETISHUN RULE TOPIC  - ENTRY CRITERIA:
I think the point is to compete and also motivate each other to finish new orky projects, so If you have a character thats been assembled but not painted gathering dust in the closet, we might as well get any excuse to field him in the new codex with proppa modeling dignity :D 

A- Only painting with no assembly is perfectly legal: Well, not everyone is a super converter so i think only paintjobs are fine as well. as long as you post WIPs so we know its not a previously finished model. although, knowing our forum`s taste, i bet a fully converted and painted badass character will totally outclass and get more votes from our comunity than a simple painted AoBR boss (who is perfectly legal anyway).

B- Old model repaints are ok: I would even be OK with someone stripping an old paint off and giving a character a shiny new paintjob. You want to take that old warboss you painted 10 years ago and give him a nice new paintjob with your improved skillset? now`s your chance! I would just require the contestant to submit a picture of the model stripped, and the WIP on top of that.

C- Multiple entries are OK: In this regard of motivating people to make models -i know i said 1 character, but we might as well post all our projects of new orky HQs, as long as they arent completed. The whole point is to motivate folks, so if you want to make all the characters in the new book, why not?
i think even special characters like snikrot who are leader type characters despite not being exactly HQ should be valid (but not regular Nobs. we want proppa characters!). did i forget any other exception?

D- Restriction on finished models: i think the only restriction for entries would be submiting something thats already finished. So to avoid that, i think contestants would have to upload pics: starting the project, building/painting WIP steps and finished project would be mandatory so we can assert proppa mekshop conduct.

E- You got do do your own stuff: Yeah this is kinda self explanatory, we are competing for bragging rights and hobby motivation, i dont think there is anything to brag about if you hand over your stuff to a hired brush.  

KOMPETISHUN POSTING RULEZ:
All contestants will have to post the starting point, middle WIP and finished model on the main thread wich will be the official place for the contest, and then I`ll make a voting poll after the deadline and open it up for votes (i hope this new forum has a poll type post feature).
I think contestants arent required to post every single WIP picture in this oficial  thread  - you can detail your build in your own thread.
But the mandatory posting of pics on the official thread is just enough to know you are participating -so thats the  beggining, middle, finished project. but you can post every little detail here if you want as well, its up to you.

I think thats it, what do you guys think?

Oh, and to make people extra motivated i have a little surprise prize for the winner - I`ll tell y`all what it is when the entries stop and we start voting. Im not sure if i should announce what it is, it will change the spirit of the competition, so... not sure if rvealing it is such a good idea. i will ship a prize to the winner, even if somehow i win - I`ll ship it to second place. I`m offering this to motivate our comunity to get crunching on the orky hobbyness! do you guys want to know what it is anyway?

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,743 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Hmmm, still trying to get my ork heads down to boyz size (and still ending up with bigboyz :bang ). Got a KFF mek that looks too weedy for a big boss, wiv a burna he apparently can't have any more, and three dead 1.2v button cells in his chest.

Found a plakky nobz bod, and a shop that does 3.6v button cells that should easy fit in a 40mm base, and a couple of chopped up KMB's that should have enough left to turn 'em into KMP's, and a head  :thumbs

May as well do something with it while I'm waiting for Milliput to dry on my other build  ;)

Sprocket Ratchetswinga

Sprocket Ratchetswinga

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 32 posts
  • Army Name:Sprocket's Junkers

I want in on this, I gotta get him done soon tho since I will be gone for a month soon. I got a Mek with KFF and the dead shiny shoota im working on, he is only like 20 percent done so I feel he falls into this category, so you want us to post the WIP here or just in its own post?

Big_Mek_Boomsprocket

Big_Mek_Boomsprocket

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 135 posts
  • Army Name:Big Mek Boomsprocket's redpants reaverz

I've got a new plastic big mek, but still need to make him a snotling cage and a mask.

Orks is made fer fightin and gettin shot up before dey gets ter klose kombat... :crybaby

-Big Mek Boomsprocket

Fight the prices, sign this petition: https://www.change.o...tures/u/8516714

Teek

Teek

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 70 posts

@PeaceCraft: Thank you for the answers, and for creating this challenge in the spirit of community and finishing our projects! I'll have to take stock of some of the ladz and decide on a final direction, but this is excellent motivation!

And as far as I'm concerned, we don't need prizes, we need to cheer each other on and celebrate a new codex giving us a reason to bring GREEN (and BLOO) back to the tables!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HQ, Bigmek, painboy, warboss, mek, weirdboy