Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orks and anti-air?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Killthulhu

Killthulhu

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 35 posts
  • Army Name:Blood Axes

So, I went down to my local hobby store and watched one of my buddies play a few games with his Ork army.  He was running what seems to be the standard build for this edition with our Index: Lots of boyz, two bosses, two weirboyz, and a battery of KMKs.  He did fairly well against most other lists, but got absolutely decimated by a beakie player running two Stormravens kitted out for anti infantry.  I think they had hurricane bolters, assault cannons, and heavy bolters or somesuch?  Not too sure as I don't have the beakie dex in front of me right now.  Either way, his boyz died in droves to these things.  It got me thinking, do we really have an answer currently to flyer-heavy lists? 

I took a look at the Xenos IA, and I see we do have access to the Flakka Gun, but the only platform it can go on is a Big Trakk, and that's quite a point investment to make to deal with flyers for only 4 shots.  It does have 15 wounds, but even so, that's still only four shots per shooting phase.  Not a lot of power output for the points.  The only other units we have are our own flyers.  I haven't played any of them this edition (or really ever), so I can't guess how they would fare in a shoot out against another flyer.  So, what do you guys typically take for anti-air? Or, is this more a "grab more boyz, saturate the board, get them stuck in fast so they can't get shot up" type of scenario?

Cheers,

-Killthulhu

"Um, boss? If we'z green, an' da trees iz green, wot we applyin' dis 'ere green camo for?"

"Lissen ya git, ya jus' answered yer own question. Why do ya fink da 'oomies paint everyfing green out 'ere?"

"Because... da 'oomies iz pink?"

"Right! So if we don' make ourselfs green, den we can't be sneeky!"

"But boss... we iz green."

"I know we'z green! We just put on camo! See, dis 'ere iz why I do all the plannin. Now shut yer gob and lets get ta killin."

"Right... you'z da boss..."

-Conversation between two Ork Kommandos intercepted at Listening Post Alpha Four Alpha, Sector Seven, Equitorial Jungle of Armageddon

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 132 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

I have not faced a lot of opponent flyers, but I take at least one flyer myself every game. I would think a dakka jet would do the trick. 

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 26 posts
  • Army Name:Brain Boyz
Most people I know don't run flyers since we're all of the opinion that flyers at this scale are dumb, but last time I looked the concensus was that mobile burnas and skorchas were the way to go for the autohits and the, pardon the wording, volume of fire.
  • warhead01 likes this

Goreshrek

Goreshrek

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 132 posts
  • Army Name:BlooSkullz

Yup, burnas in a trukk would also work. 

WE had a long thread a while back about flyers. I happen to like the mortal wounds bombas inflict, and dakka jets for sniping characters.

toaae

toaae

Vampire Squig

• Boyz
  • 109 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH! Tortoof

Anti-air is indeed a major weakness for Orkz, and at least as of right now with the index, we don't have any adequate answer. The Traktor Kannon is just awful, worse than just taking a KMK. Stormboyz can assault flyers, but at least for Stormravens, it is doubtful they could do enough damage, and would just get shot to pieces in response (or proactively). Our flyers aren't capable of outlasting a Stormraven. And burnas just don't have the strength, AP and/or damage to have any meaningful impact on enemy fliers. Weirdboyz and Smite are effective, but a saavy player can and will control how often you can Smite their flyers.

In all, the best scenario is to try and control the board, and defeat the rest of your opponent's army. It isn't great, but it's what we currently have.

StormGuard

StormGuard

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 94 posts

I plan on trying to use a DakkaJett as my Anti-Air option (when I get one), as kitted out, it can deal out 18x Str: 6, AP: -1 shots, now this is only likely to be able to deal with a singal enemy flyer, but its better than nothing, and against the more heavy flyers like the Storm Raven, it will at least distract the thing for a turn or two, which in itself could be useful.

SG.

Demo Charges 101:  Pull Pin, Throw, Run Away Very Fast.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,097 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

I tend to use a combo of Burna Boys kannons or smasha guns and storm boys. We don't really have a one tool option. I don't know about the dakka jet I've just used it one time so far but always shooting at ground units. (No enemy flyers that game.)

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Blakkreaper

Blakkreaper

Da Ladz Wrangler

• Freebooterz
  • 2,365 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAGH Grimgull

Skorchanobz are better at everything than burnaboyz, this includes anti-air. That said, I think weirdboyz are our best anti-air.  :rolleyes

Cheerz to Thork for the Great Avvy.
Let's gross our fingers and sacraface pot Blood Red to Bitz God... [Morhgoz]
I oppose RAW evil; or, more importantly; The Dice Gods oppose RAW evil. [Andrew the Eternal's proppa hiaku]

"Giving Krooza an idea, now prooven to be just as bad as saying 'Go on Dim, rant away!" [Dim Reepa]
"We don't have a Battle Tank. We have a glorified transport that eats people." "like a surgical sledgehammer." [GrogDaTyrant]

PhillyT

PhillyT

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 937 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I suppose it is important to ask what fliers are causing issues.  I haven't seen any list that fields enough fliers to be a problem so far.  Having said that, I run a fire raptor in my beakie army and it would completely kick my ork army's ass since It pumps out the fire power of a 1000 point list in one 450 point package.

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 668 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR

In regards to anti air we do have the Flakka gunz from forge world.

can be taken on the Big Trakk

48" assault 4 S6 AP-1 D1 (plus one to hit roll against targets that can FLY,-1 to hit against everything else)

ont think its really worth it to behonest, but it is another option.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

qluaid

qluaid

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 1 posts

I smited down a stormraven in 1 turn with 4 of my 5 weirdboyz buffered by a horde of boyz. Granted my enemy did not expect it but still it worked!