Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dim's Rebel Grot Blog

* * * * - 1 votes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

What armour did you have in mind, helmets an shields?

Just a little something. Helmets certainly. Shields are a good idea (fergot about'em even though I've got two whole sprues of them somewhere!) Breast-plate of some sort as an alternative to a shield... most of the boyz torsoes have some sort of metal on the front of them. Of course, that means breaking out the GS for a million grotz. :eek Dunno what the wolf-riders look like, but maybe they'll save you some work.

Waaagh da Grotz!
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
Yeh the wolf riders have armoured chests, I can give them shields and a few have helmets - good stuff really. Need a bit of trade [or money!] to grab some more stuff though - I plan to do 10 sluggas and 10 shootas, but the shootas wont be using wolf riders... :thumbs The Grot tank ain't finished though, Grishgrub gave me some paintin advice so I'm going to try making it look a bit better. I've also decided I'm probs not going to get rebel grot vehicles soon, or many other tanks, so I'm going to try my hand at plasticard. I also got a few projects in mind, most notably, a Grot Battlewagon further down the line - wonder how many squig wheels I can fit on that :? Looks like I need to open a bigger trade thread in the Mechant's Quarter...

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
Small update - I was going to save these until I'd made more, but I could use C&C and I also wanna cheer MGD up a little bit - I think these guys will...

My first grot shoota boy
Posted Image
Posted Image

My First Stormboy
Posted Image
Posted Image

WIP of my boss, just to roughly show what I plan - I'm not liking this, to be honest, not sure whether or not to scrap the idea - need inspiration...
Posted Image

Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee

Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee

'Ead Graft

• Boyz
  • 723 posts
  • Army Name:Klan Fishheadz
Two things, First, for burna boyz, maybe Fire breathing squigs? Second, for your sluggas, you just cut of the sluggas and stickem on grot arms, or do the ork arms fit on grot shoulders? Pardon me asking but i am going to do this for my getching and want to know before i risk wasting 50 bucks. (cmon GW, make some plastic 40k models! Ah well, at least these ones wont have loincloths)
For da Greena Good!
My Gitz
W:6 D:2 L:2
Current project: Painting Loota's and burna's and trukkboyz (oh my!). Additionally starting Lizardman warhost. Anyone with ideas can PM me
Being a Whiner is easy if your deffinition of inadequate is flexible enough

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
If you mean my converted Grots, well those are night goblin arms, they hold sluggas very well and shootas with a bit of tlc - I use classic Ork cupped arms but by no means use ork arms on grots - they just don't work at all. Fire Breathing squigs sounds funny - and I'll have a think about it - although I planned to model really mad 'pyro grots', so we'll see... With holding Shootas, plastic Goblins do it quite well if you GS the Arrow finger hands (the ones that make a naughty sign if you model it right...) and cut the clenched fingers off and GS two fingers round the barrel - they'll carry shootas quite well... But just cut out the sluggas and they look fine on grots - don't use the new Night goblins though - either get the old plastic Night goblins or the plastic common goblins... Oh btw guys, my Grot count is up to 60 - god my fingers ache!

Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee

Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee

'Ead Graft

• Boyz
  • 723 posts
YAY!! I planeed to use the normal Gobbos (My grots would appreciate helmets, and my warboss would not hold out)
For da Greena Good!
My Gitz
Current project: Painting Loota's and burna's and trukkboyz (oh my!). Additionally starting Lizardman warhost. Anyone with ideas can PM me

Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee

Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee

'Ead Graft

• Boyz
  • 723 posts
I might also add that Grot heads on normal orks Might make some cool Skarboyz or something.
For da Greena Good!
My Gitz

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
There's someone who did that to model his grots in 'ork suits' to represent boys - modelled masterfully, they were in a WD - and he posted them up here on the forum not long back, someone may remember which thread. To be honest, I think that'd be a tad silly - to use Grot heads on orks unless you were hinting at these ork suits - otherwise they'll look very weedy - compare the sizes when you get some, you'll see how wierd it'll look...

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
Thanks, Dim, I laughed out loud! I love the new additions. Flying Fanatics for teh win! As for your boss, I have to admit in this very beginning state it doesn't thrill me much, but I can see some real potential in the basic idea. Go a bit further with it and maybe the idea will grow on you. The thing that strikes me most about it is that both the Kan's and the Gobbo's poses are very static. Grot models work best when full of wacky motion (note the aforementioned fanatics, the dude flying along behind the squig is brilliant).

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
Yeah that's what I was thinkin MGD, I'm tempted to go more Sentinel/Ghazkhull conversion - I might get rid of the kan, cause I've had a better idea for the kans, and I'm so doing barrel grots for the mega armoured nobs, I think - I'm not doing him in a squig wheel tho - I need to limit squig wheels as much a possible...

Stuart

Stuart

Outed 'umie luvva

• Blood Axez
  • 926 posts
  • Army Name:Kommissar Killjoy's Kavalry Korpz
I like the Storm Boys idea; very original. I guess my main gripe with the army is that they just look kinda big for Grots. I would personally recommend using the new Skull Pass Night Goblins as Gretchin, and using your current ones as Ork Boyz and the Squig Riders as Skar Boyz. Gretchin are tiny little buggers, and I think the new Gobbos fit them well. The old multi-part ones are too big and clunky for me, and I think they'd be better representing elite Grots. By the way, if I'm gonna lose the Movie Competition for posting negative feedback in your thread, I hereby withdraw all previous comments. :thumbs

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
I've had a different idea and I think this is better than the kan idea, plus he'll fit in more with my plans for my other grots, an they have changed a bit as well. Anyway, this is up for C&C and this time I'm basing the design on sentinels:

Posted Image
Posted Image

just rough sketches but wondering what you think...

i was also thinking perhaps swapping the weapons around, having a sort of scissor type weapon in between the legs and the shootas on the arms. opinions guys?

Soon to start on my snipers too I think and I'm also now thinking about my Ninja Kommandos...

Possenripper

Possenripper

Gob Squig

• Grotz
  • 65 posts
  • Army Name:The Mott Irregulars
I love the squig hoppers, and the stormboy is just hilarious! :love Looking at your boss, what about 4 legs on his ride? I can easily picture him standing on some kind of deck, supervising everything and trying not to fall off. Your sketches look like he's sitting in there driving the thing by himself, but IMHO his pose and facial impression have just too much, hmm, grandeur? Like he shouldn't be bothered with such lowly tasks. Just my .02. I can't help but wonder how a Grot with ork torso would look like - Arnie Grotzenegger, anyone? :-D
Blow up stuff! Blow up stuff! Blow up stuff!

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

Arnie Grotzenegger, anyone?

Gar! and I've already chosen my Movie Comp entry! :lol

Yes, I like yer new concept. Flipping the dakka and cc arms is a good thought. Grotz would think small and that means the close combat stuff would be low to the ground and the dakka would be high up where it would be most likely to deafen the operator of the vehicle. ;) It'll be important to tip the platform dangerously forward so that your boss is holding onto the levers as much to keep himself in the grot-pit as work the beast. Note the boss doesn't need to be standing. Since he's wearing those robes you can put him in a "seat" that keeps his feet just about the platform or just on it, giving you more choices of final configuration of the grot-pit.

Just some thoughts...

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
The boss is more in control of his weapons than the vehicle - the power source will probs incorporate a grot/snot pilot. I was kinda playing around with actually having the claw weapons as lower down but still on the arm, and simply have one arm with the shoota and the other with the claw, mimiking the Grot Boss' arm positions - sort of poised forward, the claw grappling a pathetic umie/ork victim. I'm toying with a mini squig-wheel power source, or perhaps a pump, like on the snotling pump wagon - we shall see... As for his retinue I'm really not sure what to do with them...

deamoncow

deamoncow

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,031 posts
  • Army Name:Da Gear Boyz
you could use that big which hunters throne of... i think it was judgement... and replace the funny looking humie sitting in it with your grot boss. (btw, the throne is like a dreadnaught with no scarcophagas, only a giant chair
WAAAGH DA GEAR BOYZ!
Warboss~Gregza Un Bonzif da Stompy
Big Mek~Big Mek Dogbreff

If there is an Ork Stompa released by GW anytime this year I will eat my own genitalz winkingOrk.gif
~Kr00za

I'm holding you to this Kr00za, you better do it. Pics or medical forms as proof

HAMPSTER SQUADRON my webcomic! http://hamsquadcomic.googlepages.com/

waaghdomo

waaghdomo

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 24 posts
  • Army Name:waagh Duffsnak
i am loving the idea you are doing with your warboss. what are you going to class your warboss as? someone in mega armour and mega boosta or eavy armour?
join the council imperio:http://z14.invisionfree.com/The_Council_Imperio/index.php?act=idx

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts

you could use that big which hunters throne of... i think it was judgement... and replace the funny looking humie sitting in it with your grot boss. (btw, the throne is like a dreadnaught with no scarcophagas, only a giant chair

I thought of the throne but I decided against it - it is basically a dreadnought - no grot technology could get that to move - a converted Sentinel is more in their price range really...

i am loving the idea you are doing with your warboss. what are you going to class your warboss as? someone in mega armour and mega boosta or eavy armour?

As an ork warboss in Mega Armour. I'll be building it soon hopefully

I like the Storm Boys idea; very original.

I guess my main gripe with the army is that they just look kinda big for Grots. I would personally recommend using the new Skull Pass Night Goblins as Gretchin, and using your current ones as Ork Boyz and the Squig Riders as Skar Boyz.

Gretchin are tiny little buggers, and I think the new Gobbos fit them well. The old multi-part ones are too big and clunky for me, and I think they'd be better representing elite Grots.

By the way, if I'm gonna lose the Movie Competition for posting negative feedback in your thread, I hereby withdraw all previous comments.

Oops stuart, I never noticed your reply before!

The trouble with using the new night goblins is they are far too small to carry guns - I was conscious of the size of the old Night Goblins, but trust me, the difference in size from the metal Grots is minor - my fluff reason is they wear the robes to appear 'bigger' and more threatening.

And yeah I was also thinking of my converted NGs being elite, but since I figured out how to represent orks, I decided just to get 120 NGs and leave it there. They're still shorter and weedier than umies, so I ain't too bothered tbh.

And your comments wont lose you the movie comp - that's what C&C is for, not everyone is gonna see it my way.

More updates shortly hopefully - ordering some bits from GW tomorrow hopefully...

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
Finally, progress. well, other than grots - I've reached 60. I'm virtually in tears and I'm only halfway there. At least the 60 I got from Redtoof only need new bases and guns adding...

But then I got 120 Night Goblins to paint :crybaby

I finally decided what to do with my warboss and Nobz, they'll all be in looted sentinels. The warboss' is getting plasticard treatment though, so he'll stand out.

Here's some pics of my first MA Nob, this guy will be my warboss for now...

This guy is very much WIP, not sure on power source yet...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is my probable solution to raider boys, which I will mount in my cuttas I plan to make from plasticard:

Posted Image

Now for my slugga boyz:

Group Pic
Posted Image

Converted rider (from wolf chariot)
Posted Image

Note how the same models can look a bit different when armed differently!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,048 posts
Another small update.

Here's is the first of my GSed Riders - I plan another, and my Nob will be much larger than the others, as will his squig. And that sounded wrong.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

EDIT: Oh yeah, his feet aren't finished yet...