Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

VC Bashing Orcs ... Converting Wolf Riders

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
  • Army Name:Cerulean Templars, Hell Divers, No orks yet
Been delayed a bit with my orc projects working on other things....mostly chaos related. But I'm getting back at it. My humble beginnings.... http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=45564
I've also taken on a commission to build a bunch of orcs as I build my own army. Slightly running the risk of burning myself out on the models, but diverse themes maybe will help out. For my army I'll continue building the blorcs while building these orcs.

The following are the beginnings of the first of two Orc boy units on commission, they'll differ from my boys in that they will be beating up on Vampire count elements. The first unit of boyz will be doing just that against zombies. I planned to use the 40k Nobs in the front rank because they are the biggest and baddest and would be leading the units. So off we go....

One of the Big 'Uns:
Posted Image
Posted Image
The bannerman and musician:
Posted Image
I think the 40k Ork Warbike faring makes for a neat manner piece.
Posted Image
Ah the beginnings of the first problems in ranking...I'll fix that by assembling everything in various stages and also by raising in elevation some of the models to eliminate or limit conflicts.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The ultimate goal with all of this, is not to repeat a single miniature.

Warboss Bruza Maddog

Warboss Bruza Maddog

Snotroom

• Grotz
  • 44 posts
Wow These are some amazing conversions, makes me want to do some. :thumbs Can't wait to see how they look all painted up.

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
Thanks man.

Next up is a stereo-type thing, when you do orcs, I think you must have a bit of animosity. Its over-the-top fun if you ask me, but it makes for good character in the unit and keeps the rank and file interesting especially in the back ranks. This first one is sort of an homage to Victoria.
Posted Image
Posted Image

At the time of building this, I'm relatively new at converting orcs, so lets keep it somewhat simple. For the first fight scene I am just starting to work out the flow of them, to see what works, what doesn't, what joints can be manipulated, etc.
Posted Image

This type of fight scene has been done a lot, but I have always liked it. The next scene I will push it a bit further and that next one will lead into the next and the next and so on.
Posted Image
Posted Image
So the mayhem commences.

warboss zagger

warboss zagger

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 137 posts
  • Army Name:orks
The dude with the choppers will wreak!
"herr herr herr dat waz a great find lugstro now itz al mine!"

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
The first fight scene was a bit easy, I need a bit more volume, so I turned it up a couple notches with this one, still not overly loud, but a bit more dynamic. The first one was intended to run across the back rank of the unit. This one is intended to run along the flank in the back two ranks. Its going to be like a cool jigsaw puzzle.

Posted Image

It has a bit more flare.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The white stuff on the bases that I'm using to elevate things is Aves Apoxie Sculp, cures to rock like hardness, works good for this type of stuff as it takes to being drilled and pinned very well.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Still not sure I like the flail, but its different. You will see more GS metal bits and chainmail added as I move forward to the more front ranks. So there is fight scene #2. :choppa

Zsoulless

Zsoulless

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 884 posts
Im not a Fan of the method you used for your rivets. But your GS work Is Clean & your Boyz Look Great.. :thumbs

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
Thanks man. I know where you are coming from on the rivets. If I was doing one off show pieces I would definitely do them as raised rivet heads most likely out of GS. But this method is more durable for the gaming pieces in my opinion and quicker to do than gluing on plastic ones for building armies.

Zsoulless

Zsoulless

'Ard Boy

• Freebooterz
  • 884 posts
Faster maybe.. I cant see More durable. I always sculpt raised rivets.. pressed circles just dont cut it In my Opinion.. But again thats my Opinion..

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts

Faster maybe.. I cant see More durable. I always sculpt raised rivets.. pressed circles just dont cut it In my Opinion..
But again thats my Opinion..

If you have a better way of doing them I'm listening, as all the ones that I do raised, don't hold up very long on the gaming table.

Next up another homage to Victoria's old orcs.

The whole idea of this unit is for it to be beating up on the zombies, what better way than to rip the guts out of zombie. Instead of braaaaiiinnnsss, its gggguuuutts. Yum.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Mad Trukka

Mad Trukka

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts
  • Army Name:Plague of Dol Amroth (LOTR) 'ArdAkkaz ( Fantasy,40k)
Thats pretty gruesome ( and didn't go down well on top of a pepperoni pizza ) and i love it immensely! Keep up the good works!
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and
paste this into your signature. GENERATION 5 The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Why a Big Boss is better than Chuck Norris!:

Chuck Norris recently had the idea to sell his urine as a canned beverage. We know this beverage as Red Bull. Big Boss sells his urine also, as weapons grade plutonium.
Chuck Norris once shot down a German plane by pointing with his finger and saying "Bang". Big Boss knocked the MIR space station out of orbit by glaring at it
Godzilla is a Japanese rendition of Big Boss' first visit to Tokyo.

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
Thanks, much appreciated. :biggrin

A couple of the regular rank and file boys...need just a few of these to sort make the center of the block a little bit normal. Nothing really special about them. The limited number of weapons is beginning to get to me so I clipped off a spear for a double-edged blade.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Using GF9 bases for these things, most of the time they are pretty decent, but this batch they must of used dull blades on or something, as the cuts were not clean and took a bit of xacto work to clean them up.

Mad Trukka

Mad Trukka

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts
  • Army Name:Plague of Dol Amroth (LOTR) 'ArdAkkaz ( Fantasy,40k)
Im loving this army. Thread has been subscribed :thumbs
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and
paste this into your signature. GENERATION 5 The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

Why a Big Boss is better than Chuck Norris!:

Chuck Norris recently had the idea to sell his urine as a canned beverage. We know this beverage as Red Bull. Big Boss sells his urine also, as weapons grade plutonium.
Chuck Norris once shot down a German plane by pointing with his finger and saying "Bang". Big Boss knocked the MIR space station out of orbit by glaring at it
Godzilla is a Japanese rendition of Big Boss' first visit to Tokyo.

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
Thanks man. There's lots more to come.

A couple more of the rank and file...
Posted Image
Posted Image

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
Next fight scene, doubles as a filler piece also. 4 boyz and a zombie on a 50mm

Posted Image

The goal with these units were to beat up on the undead. Well we have a boy ready to throw at you.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now you may say how do you paint that? Well I made it so that models are just pinned to the base and removable for painting as separate pieces.
Posted Image
And this guy is another homage to Victoria, he is the "Oh boy" orc.

warboss zagger

warboss zagger

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 137 posts
LOOVIN all of these convershunz the way you use greenstuff is very unique, it gives your models real individuallity i carnt wait to see the army painted and finished.

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
Well here is the wrap up of the first orc boy unit. I and the client are happy with how they turned out. I based the models on Gale Force 9 magnetic bases. Its not the first time Iíve used them, but I have noticed sometimes you get a batch that just are not real clean on the cut edges, so I needed to get an Xacto out and shave them a bit.
Posted Image
Posted Image
You will also notice that I used Aves Apoxie sculp on the bases, thatís the white stuff that you see on the GF9 bases. I did this for areas where the models needed a slight repositioning in height to offset model conflicts or needed some special way of supporting the model itself.
Posted Image
Posted Image
When you do modeling with a lot of crazy conversions, you will sometimes need to do this just to eliminate conflicts in the rank and file.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I built the custom movement tray out of plasti-card. I used the apoxie sculp to around the outsides to get that nice flowing transition up to the bases. Typically I make the edges wider than say what GW does with their trays for a couple of reasons:
1. Eye-candy: It makes it very easy to add subtle little details off on the edges of the tray to add to the overall appearance of the models.
2. Protection: I have crazy poses or sometimes the models hang way out over the edges of small trays like the GW or GF9 trays. When you spend hours detailing your miniatures, the last thing you want is a player that has old metal models being slammed into your models on the gaming table chipping off paint, or worse yet potentially damaging some fragile detail. It is not that people mean to do it, it just happens, so this is just another step that I do help protect things.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I also lined the interior of the movement tray with the GF9 magnetic sheet that is backed with an adhesive. You will note on the back side of the movement tray I left it open. Iíve been doing that recently for most of my stuff, so that if I add characters displacing regular models, or want to add a few models to the unit they can basically ride along on the back of the tray. Another thing I do is make the interior of the tray, just a bit larger allowing for a slightly looser packing of the bases, normally not much more that 2-3 mm.
Posted Image
Playing off of the boyz beating on Vampire Counts, I carried the theme throughout with this unit against zombies. The next unit will be beating on the poor old spiece of panzee dungons. The biggest and hardest boyz get put in the front, because deyís da best. With all of the craziness going on with the poses itís a good idea to mark down in some form of code, how and where they are to be placed within the unit, so that the jigsaw puzzle is easier to put together. To do this I simply use a Paint Marker on the bottom of the base to write down the code.
Posted Image
So there you have it, Orc Boyz unit #1.

Durus

Durus

Growler (pet squig)

• Grotz
  • 92 posts
Great GS work on the normal boys. I like how much attention to detail you have put into this "rank and file" unit. The plastic Nobs look really good as champions as well. Love it.

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
Thanks Durus...

Next phase of the project...Orc Shaman #1

The model is simply based off of a normal orc boy model.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I had an older bare foot orc model that I mutilated awhile ago, so the feet I thought were suitable for this model. I also wanted to give him a hood and several pouches.
Posted Image
The troll skull is from skull pass. Added a cauldron.
Posted Image
Wasn't sure if I could pull off the hands or not, the one holding the skull came out okay, but in hindsight I should have spread the fingers apart. Will have to do that next time. Its only the the 4th or 5th time I have attempted to sculpt hands or fingers, so I'm a bit new at that.
Posted Image

warboss zagger

warboss zagger

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 137 posts
The Bonez intwined into his cloak are highly effective! love his hood!

PsychosisPC

PsychosisPC

Mimic Squig

• Grotz
  • 95 posts
Well here we go, on to the building of unit #2. Like the previous unit this one will feature the big boys up front and this time I will be modeling them to brutalize spiece of panzee dungons.

Again the goal here is not to repeat a single model. As I was going through the first unit, and even though I'm mixing 40k boyz, the thing I've noticed is just the scarcity of heads and weapons. So to change that up a bit, I'm changing the heads. I'm also going to use a bit more fur.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is one of the up front big boys, we don't use those weenie drums other units use. We use the big stuff. I also changed up the gun holster a bit. I think that worked well. Need to put that in the memory bank for when I do my stuff.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image