Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Regiment Ranks (guild ranks)

40 replies to this topic

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts
From the latest newsletter: "Q: How many titles can exist in a guild? A: There are ten titles are available within the guild structure – these are fully customizable by the guild’s leadership so you can tailor your guild’s titles to your own specific attitudes and purposes. " of course we want to have them all orcish-themed, but what titles exactly? I'll count down with some suggestions from 1 being the hghest (guild leader) to 10 being the lowest. 1. Warboss (guild leader) 2. Big Boss (officer that speaks with the guild leaders voice when the guild leader is not available) 3. Boss (officer) 4. Skarboy (possible minor officer role here, can invite new Runts into the guild, etc.) 5. 'Ard Boy (a large rank area) 6. Boy (largest rank area) 7. Yoof (after having proved themselves to be a worthwhile member to the guild) 8. Runt (initial rank in the guild) 9. Snot (punishment rank) 10. Weedy (big-time punishment rank) Now, I know that the Skarboy and 'Ard Boy rank may lean a bit more towards 40k orks, but I think that they may work for titles as well. Also, I am not as well-versed in Fantasy rank names so I may be missing something crucial or more worthwhile than what I have written. A possible suggestion for the ranks could be Nob, but I think that is really more of a 40k Orks kind of title, but I wanted to throw it out for debate. If we only wanted one punishment rank or none at all, perhaps one rank after Boy could be Tuff Boy, which then goes to 'Ard Boy. Thoughts?

Kodek

Kodek

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,142 posts
  • Army Name:No army at present...
I'm actually very much in favour of using some 40k titles in the guild, as I think it adds a cool the-waaagh.com feel. Seeing as this is an Ork website, I think our ranks could nod to that; here are my thoughts:

1. Warboss (this seems fairly straightforward)
2. Big Boss/[some sort of advisor or gobbo type role, like Great Shaman or something]
- The newsletter said that this player would automatically become guild leader if the Warboss was absent for 30 days or more. I think it would be cool to have it as an advisor type shaman rank.
3. Nob (I like the 40k type name for this one)
4. Runtherd (has some officer privileges and can boss around the yoofs)
5. Skarboy (a distinguished boy, senior member)
6. Boy
7. Yoof
8. Snot
9. Panzee Luvva
10. *Special* (perhaps "not an orc")

I like the stuff you proposed, except I don't see a necessity for the "Runt" rank, as I think one initiate type rank is good enough to get the idea across. As for what could go there, I'm not sure. Perhaps maybe a unique rank for a particularily funny or distinguished guild member, like maybe as a contest reward or just a joke (and it could be changed to suit whoever holds it and for what reason).

Oh, perhaps something like "not an ork," as I believe CG's title says ("not an orc" rather). This could be for any manner of characters, like maybe bank alts or whatnot, but that's only one possibility.

hakbash

hakbash

WAAAGH da...

• Nobz
  • 6,348 posts
  • Army Name:Hakbash's Goff tribe, da Iron Gobs
I think Da Burninator has a good solid point. Since we are a 40k Ork forum we should stick to 40k terminology for guild ranks....give us a unique flavor, and distinguish us from all da uver guilds of greenskinz we will have out there. We should include Panzee luva as a rank for sure. That is a term we use exclusively here at the waaagh. 1. Warboss = Guildmaster 2. Big Boss = Officer rank, stand in as leader 3. Nob = Officer rank, invite/promote/demote powers 4. Banna Wava = Banner bearer 5. Runtherd = special role for any oddboyz we have in guild, possibly a crafters rank 6. Boyz = standard guild rank fer Orkz 7. Grotz = standard guild rank fer gretchin 8. Snotling = initiate rank, probrobly a probationary rank 9. Skumgrod = Non greenskinz and allies rank 10. Panzee Luva = punishment rank Just a few suggestions. WAAAGH! da ranks

Edited by hakbash, 06 May 2008 - 11:59 PM.
Adjusted da titles

"If yer aint green, black wearin, check luvin, ded ard, smack talkin, PK hackin, choppa swingin, killa kan stompin, slug pistol shootin, skar covered, grot kickin, dread bashin, skumgrod krumpin, close combat machines den yer aint proppa." - Hakbash

WAAAGH! Da...

Warlord Hakbash

Kodek

Kodek

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,142 posts
Cool stuff Hakbash, just wanna say a couple things. I was also thinking about Warlord as the guild leader rank, but in terms of the game fluff (which may or may not be relevant to our guild ranks, but w/e), the only real Warlord in the game is Grumlok (and Gazbag), seeing as they are the leaders of the Bloody Sunz Boyz, who in fluff terms are the Waaagh! that our guild would be a part of. Therefore, from that perspective, Warboss would reflect the fluff more accurately. Skumgrod and Runtherd sound good and I like your suggestions there, but as for Grot, the only issue I see is that some of us will be actually be Grots :o ( and may take offense to Grot being a low rank ;) ), and so I think Yoof is a cool word that is 40kish and would work well there. Snots are just weedy though and should be a probationary rank (although if it proves to be largely unused I think it could be changed to something else). For the Runtherd, maybe it could be on a rotation or shift type thing, and it's the Runtherds job to introduce and direct any new members to the forums, and things like that (and therefore it could also be a punishment rank, since it might become a chore). Just an idea there. As for Snots and Panzee Luvas, they could be denied access to the guild bank and maybe have to pay a little bit more in guild taxes (as I heard something mentioned about those). Edit: Banna Wava as a guild rank?

Goregob

Goregob

Tankbusta Boy

• Speed Freaks
  • 442 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Goregob
Banna wava could be cool as a rank just below nob, as it'd show importance to the guild without being an authority figure :) I do reckon we should have a "warlord" rank though, it's just proppa, plus, ghazzie has many warlords flock to his battles and Waagh!s so fluff/guild fluff wise it would still (kinda) make sense... plus we are better than them weedy sun boys! :P It would also be interesting to see if we could "assign" ranks, then anyone who's a gobbo or wants to be a "Grot" can be, without being lower down than a boy? so they'd be different "rank names" but they'd be on the same rung on the ladder, so to say -hope that made sense! yoof and panzee lover are great, keep 'um! :thumbs hehe
Thanks for reading my post.

GrogDaTyrant

GrogDaTyrant

Mr Angry

• Deathskullz
  • 4,093 posts
  • Army Name:People's Democratic Republic of Federal Democratic Rebuplic of Tyranny!
How about: 1- Warlord 2- Warboss 3- Nob 4- Skarboy 5- 'Ard Boy 6- Boy 7- Yoof 8- Runt (or Runtherd) 9- Snot 10- Panzee Luvva
QUOTE (Fact Core, from Portal 2)
-Whales are twice as intelligent and three times as delicious as humans.

-In Victorian England, a commoner was not allowed to look directly at the Queen due to a belief at the time that the poor had the ability to steal thoughts. Science now believes that less than four percent of poor people are able to do this.

morded

morded

Mendin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 74 posts
  • Army Name:Mordeth's misfitz
what about a mix of fantasy and 40k. 1 warboss 2 Big Boss 3 boss 4 skarboy 5 big 'un 6 boarboy 7 wildboy 8 yoof 9 snot 10 Git
one part cunning, one part wise and many, many parts demented

da nazda system as started by Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee (game now sadly dead and buried.)
Nazda ooc thread (for those intrested in the OOC side of things and for a bit more insight into what went on during the game.)
Loki space station side game from nazda also run by me.

da lurker is back

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade
As a 40k website, I agree that we should probably use some of the 40k orky ranks. However, I think we should keep some of the fantasy ranks such as "Bigboss" and definitely "Big 'uns". In addition we would need to have a "skumgrod" rank for all of the non-greenskins in the guild. However, the "skumgrods" should roughly be the equivalent of "da boyz" as far as priveledges, with the exception that they can never advance into the leadership positions or participate in our "pit fight challenge system thingy".
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

Kodek

Kodek

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,142 posts
Here is my proposal for some new ranks based on the suggestions that have been made:

1. Warlord [guild master] It sounds good and also sounds distinct from Big Boss.
2. Big Boss [second-in-command] Generic enough that it works 40k and fantasy, distinct from Warlord.
3. Banna Wava [standard-bearer rank] As discussed in the other thread, this priviledge rank can be challenged and fought over, and awards a degree of honour.
4. Nob [officer rank] I think this sounds better than Boss and is unique.
5. Skarboy [veteran rank] I prefer this to Big'Un, as it keeps a steady 40k theme.
6. Boy/Da Boyz [standard member rank] To keep in line with other ranks I think Boy is better.
7. ? Possibly Grot.
8. Yoof [initiate rank] This is more generic than grot, and avoids confusion - both Orks and Grots could technically be yoofs.
9. Skumgrod [non-greenskin rank] Basically a must have, for alts/weed gits.
10. Panzee Luvva [punishment rank] A definite the-waaagh reference, definitely a must.

With the last rank I think we could either go with Hakbash's idea to have an equal rank for Boyz and Grots. On the other hand, there may be other things that emerge as we learn more about the game, so it may not be unwise to leave it open for the present.

On the issue of 40k names, I am definitely in favour of keeping the 40k theme strong if only for the reason that it is quite distinct and really suggests where the guild comes from (the-waaagh.com).

For punishment ranks, I think that only one is really necessary - regular punishments can be just to send members down one rank or even back to yoof. If anyone really needs to be punished in a way that doesn't involve them being kicked from the guild, Panzee Luvva should be suitable.

All together, I think it practical to have each rank be of distinct use and purpose, with no overlap. This way, things are clear and efficient.

I would also like to raise another point for discussion - how will officers be decided and who will be what rank upon formation of the guild? Personally, I am quite happy in whatever rank needs to be filled out (except panzee luvva!). Basically, I think it comes down to how our guild will be governed.

I have two ideas on this:
a) Democratic - candidates for Warlord nominate themselves, and then all members vote. Repeat this process for Big Boss. Repeat this process for Nobs. Banna Wava is decided by pitfight.
b) Despotism - members vote on a Warlord, who then appoints all other ranks based on his best judgement and desires of the members.

Nobs should be expected to be responsible and personable, and able to be logged on with some regularity. Skarboys are like Nobs, except for those members who do not wish to have the added responsibility.

Anyway, tell me what you think of this and we'll see where it goes!

EDit: Oops! I meant to put Skumgrod right below Boyz/Grots, as I think they should have equal privileges.

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts
I see where you are all coming from with the 40K-inspired names, and I'm cool with that. My only tweaks to your revised list, Burnin, would be that Skumgrod be placed above Yoof, only because that would be less of a 'prove yourself' type rank, and would make skumgrods on the same par as Boyz are. Also, that Big 'Un be added to the list, because I really like the sound of it! So the list might look like this: 1- Warlord 2- Big Boss 3- Nob 4- Banna Wava 5- Skarboy 6- Big 'Un (or 'Ard Boy, both are good) 7- Boy 8- Skumgrod (this rank is really equal with Boy, above) 9- Yoof 10- Weedy Git Now, the reason I propose Weedy Git over Panzee Luvva is because we may have Dark Panzee in the guild, and in that case Panzee Luvva really isn't that bad. It's bad to orcs though, so I see where you're coming from. But Weedy Git is bad all around, regardless of race. I moved Banna Wava down a peg because they may not actually be making Nob decisions in the guild, but can be seen to if they are indeed already making those decisions. This is really just my thought on it and I could see it going back to 3rd rank. I think your thoughts on the democratic process are best, and makes sure everyone is more happy with how the guild is run and led. Banna Wava can be decided by Pit Fight.

Kodek

Kodek

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,142 posts
I like your points Grimteef, in fact I actually meant to have Skumgrod right below Boyz. Now, I'm just curious as to what we would make the difference in privilege/responsibilty for Boyz and Big'Uns? Maybe just more guild bank access or something? Maybe a Boy could be promoted to Big'Un if he defeats the Warlord/Big Boss in a duel? (and thus would be a mark of honour/status)

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Dethkopta Pilot

• Deathskullz
  • 1,728 posts
  • Army Name:Freebootaz
I think Boy and Big'Un should be respective to in-game activity. Meaning sort of a honor title. If there's the ability to create loot houses I would also say that Big'Uns should have access while Boyz should not. Also...what about Gurlz...
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst.
Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn.
And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask.
We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

Kodek

Kodek

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,142 posts
And another point that I just though of - I remember reading somewhere (edit: http://warhammeronli.../wiki/Alliance) that when Guilds form Alliances, there are up to 10 leader slots (one for each guild) and up to 50 officer slots (5 for each guild). This leads me to think that maybe as a general rule having 5-7 nobs would be ideal. What do you guys think?

Lady Lu

Lady Lu

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 318 posts
  • Army Name:Morguk's Freebootaz
I'd go for something a little less in-the-box, start-at-one-go-to-ten. There's about only 3 ranks needed for the average business of krumping stunties. 1-Boss 2-Nob 3-Boy That's fairly self-explanatory, but that's only applicable to orcs, we'd have gobbos too, so add these. 4- Gobbo Boss 5- Gobbo Nob 6- Gobbo They'd be the same ranks as the first three, but for gobbo characters. In case we include non-orcs in the guild add 7- Not an Orc Maybe even 8- Honorary Orc Would be a Nob-equivalent rank for non-orcs, but no boss rank, ever. I know this one might be pushing a bit though. Then round up with honor positions 9- Banna wava 10- Pit fight champ I'd see pit fighting as a reoccuring thing in the guild where you could have a weekly/monthly/wheneverly champ that'd get the title, same as boy rank though. Thoughts?
"Your stuff belongs to me,
my stuff belongs to me too.
That's the spirit of sharing."

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts
I see your point Lu. As far as an orc would be concerned there's only be so many degrees to really worry about. But I think that people might like a little something to work towards, so having a few degrees of ranks is a good thing. Some players may not want the hassle of being a Nob, but might want to work their way from Yoof to Boy to Big'Un. Sense of accomplishment on a small scale. Also, having more degrees does allow us to control guild priviledges more, among other things.

Lady Lu

Lady Lu

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 318 posts
  • Army Name:Morguk's Freebootaz
Fair enough. Let me propose a revised list then. Guild leadership 1-WarBoss 2-Boss Ranks for da ladz 3-Nob 4-Big'Un 5-Boy 6-Yoof This leaves 4 extra ranks for fun and profit. I imagine the banna wava would stay as an honor position. How about a shaman rank for the knowledgeable people that don't really want much leadership? Kind of an honor position. In this revised list all races are mixed into one ranking pot. There's a bit more advancement for those that want it while leaving room for other fun stuff we might think of.
"Your stuff belongs to me,
my stuff belongs to me too.
That's the spirit of sharing."

hakbash

hakbash

WAAAGH da...

• Nobz
  • 6,348 posts
  • Army Name:Hakbash's Goff tribe, da Iron Gobs
I'm finking that Dark Panzies might think a Panzie luvva was weedy enough to include as a punishment rank. Might be even better if it was a weedy Panze luvvin git. But just plain weedy git isn't bad....it just doesn't reach out and say the-WAAAGH.com like Panze luvvin does. Skumgrods should get a rank I agree. Equal to a boyz rank should be proppa enough. They could start as the probationary rank [Yoof] and work their way up to being a proppa skumgrod. Much like proppa greenskinz. But of course skumgrods aren't really proppa Orcs so they can't get any bigger or any arder than a skumgrod. If a skumgrod wants to rise in da ranks then they have to roll a greenskin, only way to be proppa is to be green. IMHO. I like the idea of giving guild members the feeling of progression in the guild ranks. Yoof grows to boy, boy grows to skarboy, skarboy grows to Big un, etc...Big unz and Skarboyz are really the same thing. Do we need both as different ranks? Maybe a ard boy instead of big un. But the system looks good and solid and I like the way yer all finkin. Finkin like proppa greenskined gitz. Making the probationary rank a yoof is a gud un, I like it much better than snotling. WAAAGH! da guild ranks
"If yer aint green, black wearin, check luvin, ded ard, smack talkin, PK hackin, choppa swingin, killa kan stompin, slug pistol shootin, skar covered, grot kickin, dread bashin, skumgrod krumpin, close combat machines den yer aint proppa." - Hakbash

WAAAGH! Da...

Warlord Hakbash

Kodek

Kodek

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,142 posts

weedy Panze luvvin git

I love it :thumbs We should definitely stick with this.

yeah, I was thinking about that too, how Skarboys and Big'Uns are basically the same. I like Tuff Boy, 'Ard Boy, Big 'Un - on some level having Big'un in there would upset my obsessive compulsive side - having all 40k ranks with one fantasy rank? Gah! I vote for Boy, Tuff Boy, Skarboy, or Boy, 'Ard Boy, Skarboy.

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade
Ya know, I really like the "not an ork" rank. It just makes me laugh because it is so obvious and to the point that it sounds like something a rank an ork would use. 'them iz da boyz, they be da bosses, an thems over there iz not orks.' I like skumgrod too. If we want to make a sort of rank-progression through the guild then it would make sense for at least 2 ranks for non-orks.

We don't really need more than 2 leadership positions. The Warboss and then either Big Bosses or Nobz. Since this is a fantasy game I prefer Big Boss to Nob - but either works. That is enough ranks for leadership. If you make more than that then you end up needlessly complicating things and splitting up leadership functions too much. The leadership in the game should not really have to do much more than basic organizing and keeping the peace - if this game requires tons of book-keeping and management like time-based raiding-content oriented games then I am cancelling my subscription in a flash. I don't have any interest in that sort of game anymore.

Big unz and Skarboyz are really the same thing. Do we need both as different ranks? Maybe a ard boy instead of big un.

I always thought of "Big 'uns" much more as veterans than Skarboyz on the tabletop simply because a unit of big-uns in fantasy is much meaner than a unit of skarboyz. Even though they are both just higher strength orcs (although Big Uns have a WS upgrade as well). But "Big 'uns" have more of a tabletop impact due to the structure of fantasy than skarboyz did in my experience. Not to mention this is a fantasy-based game we are talking about (although we are mainly a 40k website). And I personally just like the sound of "Big 'uns" more than "Skarboyz". I would like "Big 'uns" to stay in the ranks somewhere - I would put them above skarboyz myself due to the fantasy theme and the fact that as a fantasy greenskin the closest you can get to being a boss without actually being a boss is to be a 'Big 'un.
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts
Hmm. Good points all around. Let's try this: 1- Warboss 2- Nob (these are our leadership ranks, just like on the Waaagh here) 3- Banna Wava 4- <-------- (this one open to debate. Could be Banna Guard for the top 3 Pit Fight Banna Bearer combatants, and lets us know who can carry the banner when the Banna Wava is unavailable) 5- Big 'Un (or Skarboy, both are good, we'll have to vote on it) 6- Boy 7- Skumgrod (this rank is really equal with Boy, above, and the highest non-orcs can get) 8- Not An Orc (orc Yoofs will skip the next two ranks and progress to Boy when they are promoted) 9- Yoof (the starting point for new recruits of all races) 10- Weedy Panzee Luvvin' Git (the punishment rank) Okay, thoughts? with this set up, most players will go from Yoof to Boy to Big 'Un, so that's three progression ranks. The further 2 progression ranks are gained from combat and Pit Fighting to ensure the safety of the Regiment Banna. Once a Yoof becomes a Big 'Un, he's got a chance to become a Nob if one is needed, but that will entail leadership duties, so not all players may want to progress there. Also, that rank will require some regular play time on the Nob's behalf, as they will be needed on the field. Only Nobz have a shot at being Warboss.

Reply to this topic