Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Da Name post

43 replies to this topic

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade
While it might be a bit early it is always nice to gather the names of players in one place so that it is easier to find them in a game. Not to mention it can help you get excited in an upcoming game to think about the type of characters you play in the game. So, I thought it might not be a bad idea to start collecting names from people so that when the game comes out we already have a decent list of who is who and also so that we don't really step on each other's toes when choosing names. While there is no official word if there will be RP servers or any type of name convention implimented by Mythic I am pretty sure that the bosses, and a number of people (myself included), want people in our guild to have names fitting the types of character and not stupid game names such as "Istaburface", "xxsephirothxx", "Hotbuns42", and all sorts of other moronic names. If your character is a greenskin, and being from the Waaagh most of us should be, then you should have some sort of greenskin name. A chaos or dark panzee character should have a name fitting that type of character as well. We also don't know the format and limitations of names in this game, but feel free to make any names as long or as short as you like. It is unknown whether names will just be one word (WoW style) or if you will be able to make long names with multiple words (like in Guild Wars or City of Heroes/Villains). I will probably try to collect the names into a master list at some point in time so they are all located in one place and people don't have to go hunting through multiple posts for names. So having said all that, the names I am thinking of at the moment are: Rotgut - Orc Choppa ??? I dunno yet ??? - Goblin Squig Herder Krogar - Black Orc Fuggit da Powurful - Goblin shaman Lugnutz - Stuntie engineer
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts
Couldn't agree with your thoughts on names more, CB. As far as their format, I'm thinking I've seen all the videos and such with only one name, WoW style. My main character will most likely be a Gobbo Shaman - Skablitz Black Orc - GrimTeef Choppa - Morgrim I'm not sold on the Squig Herder yet, though my main character in WoW was a Hunter, which is similar. So no names for one of those yet, since those top two will take enough time to level up.

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Dethkopta Pilot

• Deathskullz
  • 1,728 posts
  • Army Name:Freebootaz
My Bloc will probably be Grimgutz Squigherder ...hmm... dunno ...no really... dunno is probably what I'll go with.
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst.
Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn.
And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask.
We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts

I'm not sold on the Squig Herder yet, though my main character in WoW was a Hunter, which is similar.

Not to derail the point of this thread, but I feel like commenting a bit on this.

I have played many MMOs over the years and I spent way too long playing WoW. I played hard-core enough that I was collecting better raid gear than many people had on thier mains with some of my alts. The alt I played the most was a foul dwarven pirate (hunter) named ScurvyPete.

I was beastmastery specced and relied a lot on my giant pet crab (pets were better than most people thought even before the changes in Burning Crusade). However, compared to other games the pets in WoW are really worthless.

From what I have seen of Warhammer Online the classes look much more like they took inspiration from games other than WoW. A number of characters appear inspired more from City of Heroes/Villains than from WoW - which I think is a great thing since CoV has one of the best character systems I ever ran across (too bad the rest of the game was seriosly lacking).

The Squig Herder seems much more like the "Mastermind" charcter from City of Villains than the Hunter from WoW. In WoW, the Hunter's power comes primarily from the hunter himself. His pet is almost always a secondary thing and even when the pet is seriously buffed the main threat is the hunter and his ranged damage/abilities. The pet supports the hunter for this character.

The Mastermind in City of Villains is the opposite. He controls a number of different types of minions (at max level he has 3 low level, 2 medium, and one big-ass minion - for a total of 6 at a time). What makes the mastermind threatening is his ability to support his army of minions. While he has some attack skills, they are not terribly dangerous. His ability to heal, protect, and direct his minions is much more dangerous - along with his potential ability to use traps/snares to help control the flow of battle. You had a TON of control over your minions in CoV and you could individually direct minions in battle or direct them all at once (even reposition minions to specific points on the ground) - all done quickly and easily.

From what I can tell the Squig Herder seems to be more like the mastermind than the hunter. He has a short-bow that he can use to inflict damage and effects - but his threat comes from his ability to control a swarm of squigs. The two different play-styles are a bit hard to describe if you have not experienced both. I found the hunter to be amusing mainly because my character was role-played as an amazingly despicable & foul-mouthed pirate (and yet most people loved him no matter how much of a jerk he was to everyone :? ). The hunter themself was a bit boring to me mainly because it was so directly focused on pumping out arrows/bullets.

However, I found the mastermind to be a very interesting character to play because you often feel like a general. It is a bit like playing an RTS in the middle of an MMO. You are constantly directing and supporting minion troops to the shifting combat situations. I am really hoping that the Squig Herder follows this playstyle. If the Squig Herder ends up being a hunter clone then I will probably end up changing to a different character. If he ends up being more of a mastermind style of character then he will probably be my main character. I just cannot really think of a good gobbo name that seems to fit a suig herder...

Lady Lu

Lady Lu

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 318 posts
  • Army Name:Morguk's Freebootaz
The only orcish name I use with anything close to regularly is Geerlok. So if I make an Orc character, this'll probably be the name, unless someone steals it.
"Your stuff belongs to me,
my stuff belongs to me too.
That's the spirit of sharing."

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts
Thanks for that insight, CB. I've never really played any other MMO's besides Guild Wars and WoW, and while CoH/V looked really interesting, it's always been the fantasy element that makes me want to play those types of games, so I lack that knowledge of other MMOs. I hope you are right about the Squig Herder class, as that sounds very cool, and quite different from the Guild Wars Ranger or the WoW Hunter. As far as a name for a squig herder... hmmm... Maybe Stikkit? I kinda like that one myself. May have to use it. I'm still not 100% on my Shaman's name. I like the 'blitz' in the name, but not sure about the prefix part yet. I need to read through some Warhammer lore and novels and see if there's any names I can base my character's off of.

weird al orkavic

weird al orkavic

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 248 posts
  • Army Name:da metal eads
Dey call me GORAF GRIMSKULL slayer of cheese (working title) any one why tries to steal my name gets a good old fashion beating.
"team work is essential. it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at." 'umies field manual; page 157, chapter 7
"I am here to kill the heretic and traitor, Bob the puppy kicker" Unnamed Inquisitor
"a ork walkz out of a bar...OI! Ztop wit ya laughin', it kould 'appen..."Unnamed ork boy

hakbash

hakbash

WAAAGH da...

• Nobz
  • 6,348 posts
  • Army Name:Hakbash's Goff tribe, da Iron Gobs
I think it might be a little to soon to start thinking about names. But I'll be doing my usual MMO name thing...Hak[Insert word here] for my characters...main will be Hakbash, all others will be some combo of Hak and other words like Smash, Slash, Y, Er, Skar, etc... I'll play all the greenskin characters for sure. Might play a Spiky boy warrior as well, not sure about that. But the name will include Hak in it someplace. WAAAGH! da names of da WAAAGH
"If yer aint green, black wearin, check luvin, ded ard, smack talkin, PK hackin, choppa swingin, killa kan stompin, slug pistol shootin, skar covered, grot kickin, dread bashin, skumgrod krumpin, close combat machines den yer aint proppa." - Hakbash

WAAAGH! Da...

Warlord Hakbash

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts

I think it might be a little to soon to start thinking about names.

Never too early! It is just something fun to occupy our time and chat about till the game comes out.

WAAAGH! da names of da WAAAGH

Thats better. :thumbs

Rabtar

Rabtar

Tatter Stompin

• Goffs
  • 556 posts
  • Army Name:Da Grey Goffz
I R Rabtar GreenSkull da Destroya >: ! Havent decided if Rabtar will be a Choppa of a Black Ork yet. But witchever he iz the other will be Thunkt Da Krumpa :! .
"Violence is not the answer ... but its a DAMN good start."
Unknown
"I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!"
Belkar Bitterleaf
"I represent angry gun toting meat eating f--king people!"
Denis Leary

DA GREY GOFFZ

W=95 T=6 L=16

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,039 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz
Defgrim Da Khan ork choppa or black ork
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

Sproston Green

Sproston Green

VeryMetal Plunderer

• Nobz
  • 6,149 posts
  • Army Name:Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer and Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot-in-est Free Booterz dat eva Free Booted!

I think it might be a little to soon to start thinking about names. But I'll be doing my usual MMO name thing...Hak[Insert word here] for my characters...main will be Hakbash, all others will be some combo of Hak and other words like Smash, Slash, Y, Er, Skar, etc... I'll play all the greenskin characters for sure. Might play a Spiky boy warrior as well, not sure about that. But the name will include Hak in it someplace.

WAAAGH! da names of da WAAAGH

I think you should you go with "Loretta" at some point. Keep it killy and all. :yes ;)
Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer 'n Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot'n'est Free Booterz dat eva Free Boot'd!!!
WYSIWYG, AYASNY!!!
"Is viable worth it?"

GrimTeef

GrimTeef

Da Big Red Cybork Cyboss

• Bosses
  • 2,225 posts

I think you should you go with "Loretta" at some point. Keep it killy and all. :yes ;)

It's funny, but I can almost see a choppa calling his favorite weapon that, or a Black Orc calling his sheild that.
"Yer, ol' Loretta here has kept those stunties offa me fer a long time... hur hur."

Kodek

Kodek

Flash Git

• Freebooterz
  • 1,142 posts
  • Army Name:No army at present...
Oi, in most games and forums I go with the screen name Codec, so I'm thinking of using "Codek" or "Kodec" in WAR. What do you guys think of that? My backup name for a Blackorc/Choppa is "Cruncha" which I find quite appropriate - based on Jerry Cruncher from Tale of Two Cities... ha ha.

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts

"Kodec"

This is probably the most orky version. You might also consider Kodek. Orcs tend to be very phoenetic in thier spellings and so things look best if you spell it like a dictionary might for the pronunciation. The only ork I have ever seen with a silent letter in his name is Ghazghull.

"Cruncha" is pretty good too, but I like "Kruncha" better.

Waaagh! da K's

Sproston Green

Sproston Green

VeryMetal Plunderer

• Nobz
  • 6,149 posts
  • Army Name:Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer and Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot-in-est Free Booterz dat eva Free Booted!

It's funny, but I can almost see a choppa calling his favorite weapon that, or a Black Orc calling his sheild that.
"Yer, ol' Loretta here has kept those stunties offa me fer a long time... hur hur."

I bet you didn't think there was a method to my madness, didya? ;) :lol
Col. Vyvyan Gitsplitta da Uber Plunderer 'n Da Very Metal Boyz: Da Free Boot'n'est Free Booterz dat eva Free Boot'd!!!
WYSIWYG, AYASNY!!!
"Is viable worth it?"

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts

I bet you didn't think there was a method to my madness, didya? ;) :lol

I still don't. :P

GrogDaTyrant

GrogDaTyrant

Mr Angry

• Deathskullz
  • 4,093 posts
  • Army Name:People's Democratic Republic of Federal Democratic Rebuplic of Tyranny!
I'm aiming for Grog with some variation added in after that depending upon whether or not spaces are allowed in names. If I can't get Grog (and I honestly don't expect to), I'll throw together something as always.
QUOTE (Fact Core, from Portal 2)
-Whales are twice as intelligent and three times as delicious as humans.

-In Victorian England, a commoner was not allowed to look directly at the Queen due to a belief at the time that the poor had the ability to steal thoughts. Science now believes that less than four percent of poor people are able to do this.

Ug Thok

Ug Thok

Flash Git

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,040 posts
  • Army Name:Da Zoggin Zoggers
Toegnasher, da meanest, greenest, obsenist, pianist in da whole Ova' Der!
Easy Waaaghers
MEGA Armored Warboss TOEGNASHER
Da DurDregga

Behind Brother-Captain Bob, a great rift opened from the void, and space elves hopped out with cookies. In their time of greatest peril, Craftworld Keebler came to the Mon Keigh. Unfortunately for both, this would be no ordinary bake sale.

Warboss Grimek

Warboss Grimek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,284 posts
  • Army Name:Waaaagh Grimmo, till I come up with something original...
I wasn't gonna bother thinking about it, but then a name popped up... My Black orc is gonna be "Da Grim Makka" No clue if I'll make a choppa yet, nor if/when I do, what to name it... :thumbs

Reply to this topic