Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

FW Stompa assembly

- - - - - Stompa Forge World Assembly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

furryblueelf

furryblueelf

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts

Hey guys

I have been building my FW Stompa and preparing to attach resin to plastic areas.  My question for those that know resin well or this model, is what supports if any did you use to attach the arms to the body?

Did you pin them? If so, what with?

Large bloomin magnets?

Or just straight glue.

My concern is that the arms are rather heavy and long chunks of resin, and how does that hold with the plastic <-> resin join.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 341 posts

I'd assume you'd have to pin it, just using standard 1mm wire and super glue, or five minute epoxy.

Lucio

Lucio

Grot Oiler

• Boyz
  • 168 posts
  • Army Name:Dr Orkenstein's Revenge!

Generally I'd pin anything like that simply to reinforce the join in transit. Being the lazy modeller that I am, I use a 1mm drill bit and paperclips cut down (do not use Citadel Fine Detail cutters on paperclips!)

Usually use 3 pins to stop twisting, sunk into the bulkiest part of the model and then superglue. Hold the arm or otherwise support it for at least 10 minutes

skarnir

skarnir

'Ead Graft

• Blood Axez
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Hmmm I have thebforge world stompa currently moth balled awaiting assembly for a WAAAGH meet.

There are several ways you could resolve this issue.

First things first DO NOT GLUE THE ARMS TO THE MODEL!!!!

Why you ask? We'll there are a few reasons. Mostly due to transport and secondly transport, if you only ever plan on using your forge world stompa then glue away. But don't say I didn't warn you.

Why I would leave the arms loose so to say would be to make it easier to transport to games and so that you could swap out the arms for other weapons options.

How would you be able to get the arms the stay on when you want them to?

Well I would either use plasticard or some other suitable material as a dowl. So basicly you would have a rod sticking out of the stompas shoulder joint and a socket in the arm for it to fit. Don't want the arm to droop down due to weight? Make the socket and peg Asymmetrical

Don't want to do that, well then you could get yourself some powerful rare earth magnets. Yes there should be some out there strong enough to hold the arm in the position you want, Iv seen some creative sods using a metal washer in the shoulder joint allowing the arm more dynamic positioning but its not the route ai would go myself.

You could also drill and pin the arms into the torso and just not glue them into place.

I did this with my original plastic stompa back into the day. It works OK but I would not suggest it either.

I'm sure there are other approaches to this issue. Some are more creative than others but all will require some form of tinkering with the shoulder socket and arm connection.

Now to go find my stompa.....I swear its buried under a pile if clothes here somewhere!!!
  • derry and Badfang Brassaxe like this

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

furryblueelf

furryblueelf

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 31 posts

Thanks for all the tips and advise guys, very much appreciated.

As for you Skarnir, go dig that Stompa out!

skarnir

skarnir

'Ead Graft

• Blood Axez
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Cheers furryblueelf.
Iv just moved apartment myself and will be moving the hobby desk tomorrow.

After that's set up I plan on finally build either a skullhammer battle fortress or the stompa.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stompa, Forge World, Assembly