Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaagh Sarnath! (working title :) Testing out painting the boys

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Sarnath

Sarnath

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts
  • Army Name:Orks

Ive been trying to figure out a paint scheme now for 3-4 months and ive finally found something that was satisfactory. I needed something that was very fast since I believe that is for me needed if im ever going to field an entire army of orks!

Now I know, it seems that most people want their Orks dark - however I usually find dark orks tend to be just a blob on the battlefield, I want them to pop a bit and thats why ive been trying to find a brighter green for the skin. After lots of thinking and a quite alot of testing i ended up with something I could feel satisfied with. I also had to think very hard about exactly how i would do the leather, weapons, armor plates and ...eyes.

Now the orks in this photo are not 100% done. I still need to do some gore on the weapons etc. And never mind the ugly green stuff. I did way to much converting - 30 boys and it was about to turn me off to the idea so i kind of felt that i just had to rush it and start painting or I would probably just stop with the hobby. It actually looks "okish" i imagine the green stuff beeing scars from corrosive weapons or burndamage or something   :)

Just happy to be able to show something   :)

Now lets see if i can manage to embed a picture in this post...

fwvI86a.jpg

• warhead01, 4tonmantis, DocNuK and 7 others like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

As far as I'm aware they're called greenskins - doesn't say what shade of green and there's no particular reason why they should all be exactly the same colour throughout the galaxy. They ought to make for a good looking army :thumbs

• cookie likes this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 459 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

I think you're on to something here.  :yes  Great color palette. Well done!!  :thumbs  :thumbs

Lexington

Lexington

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 199 posts
  • Army Name:Zagdakka'z Ladz
Very vibrant! Would love to know the recipe.
"Gargrazz knew the importance of the dramatik paws, so he had been silent in mid-sentance for over three hours now."
- "Ork Story Bitz" by Chris Hutchings

Sarnath

Sarnath

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts
Id be happy to share as soon as im back from vacation as i dont have the names of all the colors in my head :)
  • Lexington and Tomas Azmond like this

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 887 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I reckon there bloody great! Where are the bodies and heads from?
"Parry the 6!"

Sarnath

Sarnath

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts
I tore through GWs entire Ork range and collected bits. The torsos are Bonesplitterz sawed in two. Legs are all 40k then the heads are a mix of bonesplitterz, regular fantasy/40k boyz and ironjawz. Arms/hands/weapons are cut/bent/switched out.

I could have done much better in the merging of the bodyparts with files, More finess and more time but it took so long as i wrote that i just felt that it doesnt really matter, what matters is i get them on the table!

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 887 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Yeah, now that you mention it I can see where you've bodged done of those joins. Yesterday i was too busy being excited by some ork heads i haven't seen before. With any luck your opponents will be similarly affected ;)
"Parry the 6!"

Boss Ardnutz

Boss Ardnutz

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 632 posts
  • Army Name:da Maniakz
Nice work, love the skin colours.

armored walker

armored walker

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 470 posts

Very nice, vibrant colours. The skin colour works well with the light, yellowish brown of the clothes. These should really stand out on a table.

The amount of conversion-werk is insane, but in the end you'll have an unique, fantastic looking army, so good luck!

Some independent makers have "nekkid ork torsoes" for sale, so unless you need to stay all GW for tournaments sake, I'd suggest you look there for some diversity and easier, faster building.

Links:http://www.spellcrow...rsos-p-130.html

https://bitsofwar.co...ked-torsos.html

Armored walkers are Slow and Purposefull.

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Love the vibrant colors.  I feel the bright orks really pop strongly on the table top.  Mine are semi lime green as well, so glad someone else agrees :).

Tomas Azmond

Tomas Azmond

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 17 posts
  • Army Name:Kaptin Krumpa's Buccaneers

I would love to see more of these as well and WIP.

Sarnath

Sarnath

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts

Ok so now im at home, unfortunatly theres no time until beginning of next week to actually start working on the hobby again. But I can at least tell you guys my color-recipe :)

I used only Citadel colors.

1. Prime the boyz with Corax White Spray - I needed a white primer because im going for a brighter skin-tone. 

2. If I could I would dip the whole model in Casandora Yellow but Im not rich enough to get that much wash :) So im just painting the skin and all leather details, go quick, go dirty - im leaving quite alot of color in the recesses because I think it contrasts nicer.

3. Next step is painting all metals with Leadbelcher.

4. Now Im doing the skin and I found that Biel-Tan Green was the best to use on this step to make sure the model is actually turning out green.

5. Next green layer is Athonian Camoshade, this on top of the last layer really makes the model look more alive the yellow base gets married with the green and its the perfect match for me.

6. Optional step - Waywatcher Green, Im still undecided on this one. I did not use it on the 5 boyz I painted first but I did use it on my final test Ork and I liked it.

7. Now its time to fix all leather, Im using Reikland Fleshshade, Seraphim Sepia and Agrax Earthshade - use whichever combination you like and do at least 2 layers. Im doing this step differently on my boyz because I believe it will look better if the leather is not identical, you get different shades of brown depending on which colors you start with and how many layers you end up doing. Obviously fewer layers means brighter leather and vice versa.

8. Im doing my boys Evil Sunz - because i think Red contrasts Green nicely. Im starting out with Mephiston Red and I base all armor I want red plus the tongue.

9. I put on Agrax Earthshade on the red armor and the tongue, but I might Carrobourg Crimson instead, undecided at this point!

10. I paint the armor with Evil Sunz Red making sure to leave recesses darker and finally I do an edge highlight on the armor with Wild Rider Red.

11. I go over all metal with Nuln Oil and then I drybrush the metal with Necr.on Compound (had to put a . in the name because the forum translates on its own :)

12. The teeth are 3 layers, I start with Zandri Dust then Ushabti Bone and finally Agrax Earthshade.

13. The eyes are 2 layers, I start with Ceramite White and then I use Carrobourg Crimson.

14. If I get (which I will because of sloppy painting with the washes) the wrong paint on the leather or the skin I use Balor Brown to cover up the miscolored leather and Warboss Green to cover up any miscolored skin.

15? I havent managed to do any satisfactory bases - and frankly I will wait until the codex drops so I know which size bases I will use so got nothing here yet :) and also there is no dirt on the boyz yet - will have to go back to add blood splatter and dirt!

And thats the whole process, its very fast and its very easy to get a pretty good result. 

The colors you need are:

Corax White Spray

Casandora Yellow

Leadbelcher

Biel-Tan Green

Athonian Camoshade

Waywatcher Green

Reikland Fleshshade

Seraphim Sepia

Agrax Earthshade

Mephiston Red

Carrobourg Crimson

Evil Sunz Red

Wild Rider Red

Nuln Oil

Necr.on Compound

Zandri Dust

Ushabti Bone

Balor Brown

Warboss Green

Im very happy to see that people liked my colors and I hope this can be of help to someone! 

Thanks! ill be back with more boyz later :)

Sarnath

Sarnath

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts

here we go, 5 more boyz :) hehe the botched green stuff job is really taking over, im looking forward to Orktober and new units :)

GYXciZf.jpg

• Boss_Grimdreg and greggles like this

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

To get more depth (and cheat with blends), try a grey primer, then use the corax as a zenithal highlight.  Your raised surfaces and upper surfaces with pop a bit more, and the lower/under surfaces will naturally blend and be darker.  (just an idea for the future evolution).  Our painting techniques are extremely similar.  Loving your bones and pants colors.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 349 posts

like everyone here so far, I also really appreciate the lighter skintones. I've been trying for something similar with my own orks, as I'm not always sure I like the darker tones, and also am not confident in my ability to do darker tones and still paint definition and character into my models. This is a nice approach!

Sarnath

Sarnath

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts

To get more depth (and cheat with blends), try a grey primer, then use the corax as a zenithal highlight.  Your raised surfaces and upper surfaces with pop a bit more, and the lower/under surfaces will naturally blend and be darker.  (just an idea for the future evolution).  Our painting techniques are extremely similar.  Loving your bones and pants colors.

Thats interesting, before my vacation I actually bought a sprayflask of Averland Sunset to try just that, but with yellow instead of grey. I havent gotten around to it yet! going to finish this mob of naked torso boys first and make them all look alike and then im going to try that. :)

• greggles likes this

Sarnath

Sarnath

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 33 posts

time to add 5 new boys to the unit!

5tNVihU.jpg