Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Beingmad's Neglected Deathskulls

- - - - - #deathskulls #lootas

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts
  • Army Name:-

It has been quite some time since I have contributed anything of value here. Snippets of my last work can be found here, none of which was ever really well done or completed. It seems that patience and persistence comes with age; last summer and fall I was able to grind out close to 100 boyz, all too a much higher standard than I have ever done in the past. In about four months I was able to build and paint more than I did the previous ten years I followed the hobby. 

As it stands, here is the current breakdown of my completed models.

30 Shoota Boyz
Vj35uOF.jpgjFUApJ2.jpgXwCUqsk.jpguT9SHYF.jpg

60 Slugga Boyz
1ZRlygy.jpgwWXDuLR.jpg

13 Ard Boyz
pxeaYGV.jpg8JsNoxV.jpg

18 Lootas (6 of which are "true" lootas, the other 12 are a combination of extra big shoota and rokkit boyz I have)
T0Iet0P.jpgeHFen8m.jpg

• Snarknit Grokguzz and Deffz Ead like this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

Some other odds and ends

Warboss
uhU2j5l.jpgS5dkVGW.jpg

I have close to 13 warbuggies/trakks that need to be built. Here is a small sample that has been slowly worked on over the last three years

3oassTU.jpgk2kq8Po.jpg

My next major goals in the upcoming months is to finish up two meganobz, 10 nobz, two burnas, and two ammo grots. Once those are finished up, I would like to go back to all of the boyz and clean up their teeth, nails, lips, and bones, and highlight some straps that have not been highlighted.
Edit: I now see that these images are quite large, in the future I will merge similar images together and reduce their embedded size. 

• KillFalcon likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 595 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
You absolutely nailed the boss' bionik eye and the highlights on the teef of his iron gob. I could do with a few more details picked out, like the dags on his knee or a few chips on the armour, but if that's not your cup of tea, fair enough.

The loota guns do the job admirably. A small detail that would improve the look of them (imho) would be to grab some red and pick out their eyes. Devil of a job to do I know, but it's worthwhile if only for those occasions when you're posting close-up photos.

Trakk looks mint.
"Parry the 6!"

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

You absolutely nailed the boss' bionik eye and the highlights on the teef of his iron gob. I could do with a few more details picked out, like the dags on his knee or a few chips on the armour, but if that's not your cup of tea, fair enough.

The loota guns do the job admirably. A small detail that would improve the look of them (imho) would be to grab some red and pick out their eyes. Devil of a job to do I know, but it's worthwhile if only for those occasions when you're posting close-up photos.

Trakk looks mint.

Thanks for the message! You know, overall I was dissatisfied with the amount of blue on the warboss. In the future I would like to change up some bits of the armour, and little details like that could then be able to be picked out with that blue. With the meganobz I was working on, more plates were grey. As a result, small details like that were more easily picked out. 

Eyes, lips, teeth - all things I would like to do better. I've seen some great ork models with the eyes done, and I would like to get to that level.

Here is a "full army" shot - a bit difficult to get a good picture of haha, I ended up using the panorama feature of my phone to take this. 121 Orks.
XRM7ONF.jpg

Some unfinished projects:
8w83VLK.jpg

A looted wagon of sorts, I haven't played a game in over 7 years, so the weapon loadout might be a bit strange. I've primed it and given it a dark grey layer, but I'm hesitant to keep painting it. Once I build up a solid group of vehicles I'll invest in an airbrush, and learn how to use that. 

k5KFM9i.png

PVvht79.png

Another old project - there is a chimera chassis under there. The most reasonable next steps would be to extend the front out, and emulate the FW Gunwagon look. As it stands the front end is too small to accomplish that goal.

LmMcdEP.png
06J9KPz.png

I had the lofty goal of making a looted Crassus Armoured Assault Transport a few years ago, this is about as far as I got with it. The top section hosting the gun mounts is magnetized and removable, designed to remove and switch out the weapons on the front. 

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Snarknit Grokguzz like this

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,557 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

Well kick me in the head & call me a weedy git. Goodness was that an old thread I didn't even think to check the date.  :blush 

You've got some good things going on in this one too. :thumbs Really nice work upgrading that wartack. Im interested in watching these last 2 builds get finished off,  both are lovely so far.

• Beingmad likes this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 322 posts

great take on those APCs!   I'm seeing a lot of those kinds of conversions lately -the 'head' of the vehicle jutting out the front - and I really like the aesthetic. Might have to try that for a trukk or something.

• Beingmad likes this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

Nothing crazy going on, just need to finish up painting more models before working on any vehicles - although that hasn't stopped me from picking up various odds and ends on eBay  :thumbs 

Approach these two similar to my Warboss above, however I did a very light drybrush with some grey over the blue, which I think works quite well. It seems to rem

fKeWje1.pngVgjxEpN.png

Painting yellow is tough haha, something I need to work on. I'm trying to add a little more color to these guys, especially when compared to my above Warboss. Adding bits of color to the cables seems to help a good deal, although yellow... needs some work. Using this old stuff haha (migrated into a dropper bottle).
ii7PsMx.png

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

Mostly finished, need to touch up a few areas in blue (I've transferred most of my paints to dropper bottles, and figured my newer Citadel pots would be fine. A few aren't... luckily they were nearly empty after painting over 100 orks). While finishing these two up (between the previous post and this) I tried using a wet palette, and I'm pretty impressed with its utility. It is much easier to work with the paint, and the palette helps with basic mixing. 

4ne57qG.png
3sLIDbK.png

I tried out that "burnt end" look on the burna, turned out pretty nicely I think.

ZFaJ0GM.png

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Garr like this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 595 posts
Looks good. The kombi weapon looks good all over. That grey works nicely and stands apart from the blue in just the right way.

I am amazed that yellow is still liquid.
  • Beingmad likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

Looks good. The kombi weapon looks good all over. That grey works nicely and stands apart from the blue in just the right way.

I am amazed that yellow is still liquid.

Thanks!

I was amazed that the paint was still good when I inherited the paints 11 years ago! I received a mix of the paints seen below, more of that style I completely used, and some black topped-screw bottles. During my on and off time with the hobby I've nearly finished off roughly 25 of the newer style (black screw top, black flip top, and current-ish type) bottles, but ultimately they would dry out during extended breaks. These old ones still were good!

6whIUhN.png

For those nobz I used Mithril Silver, Blazing Orange, Sunburst Yellow, Dark Angles Green, and Emerald Green on various bits and pieces (namely the various cables and tubes). 

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

More basic painting. Man, these old metal burna boyz can be tough to paint, although I love the figures. The metal shoota and rokkit boyz are a bit similar, overall a good amount of detail (for the time they were made), but its not all as defined as some of the current models are. These two have this awkward area between the right elbow and the body that I'm not sure what to do with, as you can't really tell what exactly it is. These two need the blue lighter paint, some metal bits done, and various other touch ups and highlights.

3YCqnSl.jpgDEmLTvS.png

• chaoshead87, Garslag and PointBlank like this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,750 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

I really like these old burna boyz too. I've got a few of them kicking around. The thing about those dubious areas is that no one really notices them anyway. So deciding what to paint it is not that big a problem.

The reason the newer models have so much more detail is because of the size creep over the years. I really like the old models and it was a challenge to paint them up with significant detail. I have a pile of 2nd ed. boys that were painted up by a guy who managed an evil sunz icon on every single one of them despite the fact that they are half the size of modern boyz. You gotta respect that kind of handiwork.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

This post made me realize finally what I don't like about the plastic burna boys. I don't like the shoulder straps that make the models look too busy, and much harder to paint. Plus, I like the masked version of the metal burna boy, which when bitz could be ordered, they could all be masked. Now only two in five burna boy heads has a mask. (Although most people in my area build burna boys from normal boys since lootas have higher game utility for the last few years.)

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

I've got to agree on the plastic burna boyz, they seem beleaguered when compared to the older models, models which seem much more dynamic despite the fact they are metal! If I were to make a full squad, I would heavily modify the handful of the plastic burnas I have, and then scratch build the rest in a similar, more dynamic style like the guys below.

Still out of my normal blue, but I used the very old enchanted blue (seen a few posts back) as its quite similar, although the newer color (Alaitoc Blue) is a bit duller in comparison. 

x5wUuQA.pngcpotrGA.png

Up next:
S5yTiS2.png

• Mad Grot Docsnik and chaoshead87 like this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

A few new toys showed up!

OpdgXxT.png

I did a considerable amount of reading on airbrushes these past two weeks, and went ahead and put in orders for an Iwata HP-CS, an airbrush booth, a combined tank and compressor, and an appropriate facemask. I found this link on /r/minipainting extremely helpful. Everything is working great, and it has been a lot of fun to practice with. After working on my technique on cardboard and pieces of sprue, I went ahead and primed an old deffkopta I had. Looking forward to working with this more in the future. 

• Mad Grot Docsnik and chaoshead87 like this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

Five out of ten done. These were fun to paint.

sEAWNze.png
EZQrUF2.png

I painted the pants on these guys using my airbrush, and I was really happy with how I did. The color I generally use (Zamesi Desert) always seems to need a few coats to get quality coverage, but a thin layer from the airbrush gave excellent coverage. 

I figured I would try and alternate between some sort of build and painting, that way I can get some feedback on builds in between painting progress.

My previously seen wartrakk (also seen below) is just about ready for a coat of primer - I cleaned up a few small sections, and added a bit more detail around the track sections - but I figured I'd post one last picture in case anyone has some input. 

Ni25MwF.png

• det and PointBlank like this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

The back two thirds of this buggy was chopped up and modified at least five years ago, but I had no sense of direction in what I was doing with it, and as such no progress was made on it. This weekend I spent some time working on the front end and reminding myself how to work with plasticard. I intended on using two sets of the same sized wheels (the old, larger diameter wheels), however they look pretty weedy mocked up in the back of the buggy; it might be necessary to scratch build larger wheels, or set up a track system. I'm still not entirely happy with the direction this is going, so I'll let it marinate while I'm painting up the other five nobs. 

A51k2RQ.png

Size reference
FOV1yaV.png

Within the past three months I picked up a lot of the older style metal nobs, including bits for a Waaagh banner and Mad Dok Grotsnik. Despite that, I recently picked up the newer metal (and also finecast) nob with banner - I couldn't resist, its a pretty cool model. I'm thinking of moving him and Mad Dok Grotsnik to 32mm bases, as they're a little more significant than normal rank and file troops, but not so much as the HQ choices. 

yBiY0DZ.pngfUvdaAc.png

At the moment I'm missing the actual Mad Dok Grotsnik head and slugga, and working out solutions on replacing them. I'm sure I could scratch build a quality slugga, and I have a few of the plastic cybork-ish nob heads, but I'm not satisfied with how they look.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

At the moment I'm missing the actual Mad Dok Grotsnik head and slugga, and working out solutions on replacing them. I'm sure I could scratch build a quality slugga, and I have a few of the plastic cybork-ish nob heads, but I'm not satisfied with how they look.

Mad Doc Grotsnik is now an elite character (in 8th Index), so a 32mm base makes sense. The stock Grotsnik head is a little weedy. The Maxmini tech freek heads are awesome and any of them could make a great replacement, especially the rightmost one: http://maxmini.eu/co...eaks-heads-bits

MXMCB095_orctechfreaksheads-882x630.jpg

• Orkimedez and Beingmad like this

Beingmad

Beingmad

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 289 posts

Mad Doc Grotsnik is now an elite character (in 8th Index), so a 32mm base makes sense. The stock Grotsnik head is a little weedy. The Maxmini tech freek heads are awesome and any of them could make a great replacement, especially the rightmost one: http://maxmini.eu/co...eaks-heads-bits

MXMCB095_orctechfreaksheads-882x630.jpg

Thanks derry! All five of those are kick ass heads, with the 2nd, 4th, and 5th all seeming like good fits. The last one definitely screams "unhinged," but I really like the 4th one, as it suggests "more machine than Ork."

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 595 posts
I love the wartrakk. The buggy.... Early days obviously, but my first impression is that it might be a bit too long? Of course it all comes down to personal preference though.
"Parry the 6!"