Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Armored Krampany

* * * * - 1 votes Armored Krampany Looted Tank Leman Russ

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Waaagh_Baron

Waaagh_Baron

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 379 posts
  • Army Name:Kaptain MOREgunnzz Waaaagh
Its been years, but the hobby called me back. My local gaming group had a bitz night, and well I bought two Leman Russes that needed loads of love. They are the start of my new army and well I like working the plastic again. 

So let me start with Russ one, 45 minutes of work with knife and its finally apart: 
3b003147-14dd-4d00-af11-3d063d137fb9_zps
2bfd3d43-4e6d-4559-8e83-f63e0d09d569_zps

It was put together really badly, don't know what kind of glue they used but is every where: 
2e9e93c5-bbba-4cc4-b997-234c1cd08579_zps

Add two-three hours of work and we got a good starting base: 
e4aabeae-540e-4b72-9ac0-f2bfb4897c0d_zps
42d03322-fde8-4582-b168-7916f8b1424f_zps
960c0258-284f-4ffc-b606-378b67f1a426_zps

As always C&C welcome.

On a side note, it took twenty minutes to remember how to log into Da Waaaagh oh how I missed this place. 

• jackdoud and Mik McMok the Mek like this
The Best Custom Track and Wheel can be bought here:

http://stores.ebay.c...Skulls-Industry

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I like the zzap gun in place of the laskannon....
"Parry the 6!"

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 106 posts
  • Army Name:'Eavy Metal Thundar

The brackets holding the side panels on are a neat detail, too. How'd you make them? I'm assuming not by gluing two bits of plasticard together.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,769 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Nice to see yez back posting again, assuming it is you - yer build's not boat shaped :?

Waaagh_Baron

Waaagh_Baron

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 379 posts

I like the zzap gun in place of the laskannon....

Thanks, this is going to be a Counts as Army I needed something that looks like a Lascannon, and the zapp gun fit. I like how it turned out as well. 

The brackets holding the side panels on are a neat detail, too. How'd you make them? I'm assuming not by gluing two bits of plasticard together.

I call it angle iron plasticard, let me find a link...... https://www.amazon.c...ZYFM1QKSY2E459H basically i reversed it and used it as an outside bracket. 

Nice to see yez back posting again, assuming it is you - yer build's not boat shaped :?

.....Is it me? sure..... and yes its not boaty. I'm trying to build an Armor Krumpany to have a playable army quickly (also the Freebootaz are 600 miles away and I'm not going to have them for a month or more) 

So updates......

I spent way too much time cutting plastic tube.... to make tank wheels: 

tank%203_zpsb2yjw1n7.jpg

tank%202_zpsj5zevmni.jpg

The big wheels are made with Valkyire Multi-Rocket Pod bitz. 

tank%201_zpslitrubv0.jpg

So what did I do with all that work, added tracks..... I should never do this again.... it is a real pain in the butt.  

TANK%206_zpszfteha9c.jpg

TANK%205_zpsega4d33n.jpg

Side tracks: 

TANK%207_zpsdqp66v48.jpg

TANK%208_zpsnrv2e02y.jpg

C&C welcome. 

P.S. Also forgot I am taking total inspiration from this here: crazy awesome stuff, I plan on copying many of his build details. 

• KillFalcon likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts

also the Freebootaz are 600 miles away

Ah... so it's an outflanking manoeuvre!

• Waaagh_Baron likes this
"Parry the 6!"

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

The track segments look stunning, the extra effort to make something rough looking yet functional really pays off compared to using the stock russ tracks. I did notice your track segments are longer than average; it works just fine but any longer wouldn't look right even for orks. Something looks a little off to me about the link sitting on the top right tank wheel. If it's not yet permanently glued, I think the hanging segments should be weighing it down on the right side, making it see-saw on the tank wheel and stick up on the left. Alternatively, keeping top track segments flat may make the model look better over all compared to a small detail. Yet another take, the tracks on either side of the vehicle could look un-even simply because the tracks are at different points in their journey around the assembly. This would not only look orky but may give an impression of movement that you wouldn't get in more regular imperial vehicles. In short, I'm looking forward to seeing you finish the other side.

Waaagh_Baron

Waaagh_Baron

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 379 posts

Ah... so it's an outflanking manoeuvre!

Yep a long out flank. I miss them and many of the tools I left with them.... so I get they toys back. 

The track segments look stunning, the extra effort to make something rough looking yet functional really pays off compared to using the stock russ tracks. I did notice your track segments are longer than average; it works just fine but any longer wouldn't look right even for orks. Something looks a little off to me about the link sitting on the top right tank wheel. If it's not yet permanently glued, I think the hanging segments should be weighing it down on the right side, making it see-saw on the tank wheel and stick up on the left. Alternatively, keeping top track segments flat may make the model look better over all compared to a small detail. Yet another take, the tracks on either side of the vehicle could look un-even simply because the tracks are at different points in their journey around the assembly. This would not only look orky but may give an impression of movement that you wouldn't get in more regular imperial vehicles. In short, I'm looking forward to seeing you finish the other side.

Thanks for the advice, the track length was set to that because it was the best size of precut stock I had. As for the track haning, on the "old" side that was the best fit I could get on the new side I have drooping to gravity. 

So updates, spent most of today building the rest of the track and detailing out a turret I had laying about, this is going to be a count as "Leman Russ Vanquisher w/ co-ax Heavy Stubber. 

TANK%209_zpsj5g23vep.jpg

TANK%2010_zpsdkzcdy7e.jpg

TANK%2011_zpslytor77m.jpg

Close up on the turrets: 

TANK%2012_zpsq6dhw1lv.jpg

tank%2015_zpsik3hyvpj.jpg

Right I know someone is going to ask for a barry shot/scale shot, the base of the tank is about the same size a little taller and wider than the regular. The tracks are about the same width of a normal leman russ's sponsons. 

tank%2013_zps6ptqc0wa.jpg

tank%2014_zps8itnkpsl.jpg

C&C welcome.

• Orkimedez and jackdoud like this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
There's little enough left of the original left, you muggy as well have saved your money and boot the whole thing from scratch!

I think it's a trick of the camera but it looks like the tracks are different sizes?
"Parry the 6!"

Waaagh_Baron

Waaagh_Baron

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 379 posts

There's little enough left of the original left, you muggy as well have saved your money and boot the whole thing from scratch!

I think it's a trick of the camera but it looks like the tracks are different sizes?

Well to answer both the questions:

Why did I not scratch build the thing from the ground up? I bought two Leman Russes for 5 bucks, they need lots of love. So instead of a complete scratch build it saved me loads of time to use these cheap hulls. 

As for track sizes? Nope same size on both sides. 

So updates, Vanquisher is done, except paint which I will start soon. Or I will start a punisher with the other Russ. 

The finished product: 

tank%2017_zpsuemno7sm.jpg

tank%2018_zps8twyt6uv.jpg

tank%2019_zpsq88fku7v.jpg

tank%2020_zps0iqhyymo.jpg

tank%2021_zps66e3mv2u.jpg

C&C welcome. 

• PointBlank likes this

Waaagh_Baron

Waaagh_Baron

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 379 posts

And the begining of tank # 2 of the Krumpany, I started by digging though my box of bitz and here is what I started with:

tank%2022_zpspjpjaik4.jpg

And the core of the tank I got done tonight:

tank%2023_zpsoxcbqvs3.jpg

tank%2024_zpswfc47xcx.jpg

tank%2025_zps8podlads.jpg

Here is a mockup of the side tracks: 

tank%2026_zpsnw2jy2uc.jpg

And yes the front turret..... is made from many bitz, not sure all of them are right took some resizing, but it functions: 

tank%2027_zpsfphpviuz.jpg

tank%2028_zps8mrqiuah.jpg

C&C welcome.

• Zagursnik and jackdoud like this

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Love the final Vanquisher, the tracks look proppa heavy. The ork face/skull glyph attached at two separate places is a nice touch

Waaagh_Baron

Waaagh_Baron

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 379 posts

Love the final Vanquisher, the tracks look proppa heavy. The ork face/skull glyph attached at two separate places is a nice touch

Thanks, I always didn't like that Ork Glyph out of the box but the moment I cut the skull off and gave it a wider grin I like it loads more. 

So update, got the roughed up panels done on the main chassie and started to add the track sections.... these are the cores, not the tracks themselves. The tracks are tomorrow night's work. 

tank%2029_zpsouut77uv.jpg
tank%2030_zpsrxingewr.jpg

Some details: 
tank%2031_zpszas49ytu.jpg
tank%2032_zpsoeoyc1zi.jpg

C&C welcome. 

Zagursnik

Zagursnik

Loots from da Lootaz

• Freebooterz
  • 2,567 posts
  • Army Name:Orks of da Pink Floyd

Kind of  late now, but instead of all that stuff on the back, just in front of the exhausts, having more werky bitz & an engine would have looked cool. Then, given the size of the power plant, you could model the tracks so as to have the front end raised up a bit more as if the drive has just gunned the engine & the tank is starting to lurch forward.

• Waaagh_Baron likes this
"I guess...Grot...you just gotta hold that ol' snazzgun in your hand and it all comes clear to you like it was for me that first time. That's when I knew my one true calling in life.

"And wut's dat Boss?"

"I'm a natural born flashgit kill-joy"

"Ask yourself, this is the age before mechanical weapons. How long does it take to kill 70,000 human beings with swords and spears one at a time? The answer seems to be about 6 hours." Richard Gabriel

Waaagh_Baron

Waaagh_Baron

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 379 posts

Kind of  late now, but instead of all that stuff on the back, just in front of the exhausts, having more werky bitz & an engine would have looked cool. Then, given the size of the power plant, you could model the tracks so as to have the front end raised up a bit more as if the drive has just gunned the engine & the tank is starting to lurch forward.

Don't worry I got loads of tanks to build their will be ones with more character. 

Been building last night, making the turret and detailing out the track units:
20170326_010647_zpsgrm3r8yj.jpg
20170326_010659_zpsumseqaob.jpg
20170326_010704_zpst1qnkzwg.jpg
20170326_010711_zpsw6bo5zyr.jpg
20170326_010727_zpsfbcoksgo.jpg

C&C welcome.

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 434 posts

Absolutely lovely work, your attention to detail is inspiring. :thumbs

Armored walkers are Slow and Purposefull.

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
That turret is outrageous. ORKS!!
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Yeah, I gotta say I really like this turret too. The sorta KV1 shape to it. The gun mount is a beauty and the gatling barrel just kicks it over the top.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Waaagh_Baron

Waaagh_Baron

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 379 posts

Absolutely lovely work, your attention to detail is inspiring. :thumbs

Thanks, I take my time to make pretty models.

That turret is outrageous. ORKS!!

Thanks!

Yeah, I gotta say I really like this turret too. The sorta KV1 shape to it. The gun mount is a beauty and the gatling barrel just kicks it over the top.

Yeah I built the turret before I knew about the KV1. I'm digging it because its Uge like ork things should be. Also its going to be the standard turret for all my Russes in this army. Should I decide start resin casting cores for these Russes, 

So spent some time working on the crew hatch and a Printle mounted Heavy Stubber (Ard Shoota).

TANK%2033_zpsifpdpwuc.jpg
TANK%2034_zpstx97dpje.jpg

The hatach is designed after those you see on-line like Kromlech and the like. I actually remember an old tutorial that Wazoo on Dakka Dakka had before the images got lost. 
TANK%2038_zps5erhuphu.jpg
TANK%2037_zpssssacgzc.jpg

And the gunner using a Wazoo tutorial as well to make the Stubber, it nees roughing up and rivets before I call it done: 
TANK%2039_zps2l3qmgsp.jpg
TANK%2040_zpspmt305t8.jpg
TANK%2035_zpsmrgwzuiq.jpg
TANK%2036_zpssclp1lws.jpg

Also I am sorry about picture quality I have a single light source and smart phone so all that white that plasticard is does not make for the best conditions for pictures.

C&C Welcome!

• jackdoud likes this

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts

Nice work. I'd probably add an access hatch to the side of the turret for reloading the gattling cannon and/or an ejection port for spent brass.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Armored Krampany, Looted Tank, Leman Russ