Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pointblank's Ragtag Raiders

- - - - - poorhammer freebooter gorkamorka

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Lexington

Lexington

Buzzing Squig

• Grotz
  • 96 posts
  • Army Name:Zagdakka'z Ladz

Really dig those scratch-built Trukks; great job!

"Gargrazz knew the importance of the dramatik paws, so he had been silent in mid-sentance for over three hours now."
- "Ork Story Bitz" by Chris Hutchings

Is Mat Ward bad for the GW fanbase? In my view the majority of the fanbase gets what it deserves, and it certainly deserves Mat Ward.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 324 posts

That freeboota Kaptin is amazing!  Fantastic work...I might have to loot that idea :)

Agreed on those trukks.  You're really fortunate to have found something that fits the scale so well!

So many good ideas here-those rokkits!  All this time...man...so I use ballpoint pens from the dollar store for my conversions - the plastic tubes containing the ink wells are fantastic for pipes and piston pieces on my stompas and such. Plus, unlike plasticard tubes, they're $1 for like 16 of them. But I've always thrown out the inkwells and the tips!  What a fool I've been!

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Thanks for the comments! I've had some problems with the trukks: I used an old can of spray paint on them and the smell still hasn't disappeared. I'm going to try baking soda to see if that'll mob up the last solvents and if that doesn't work I might just need to leave them outside in a plastic box for a long time. Lesson: do a test of new paints first, especially brands you haven't used for before or had lying around. Everything I'm going to get painted up this month as my first threat so we'll see how these actually turn out.

On the bikes: I do love the ork bikers! This is that conversion I was talking about: He was used as a nob with 'uge choppa in one of my old gorkamorka mobs with a corresponding model on foot. Love the pose from a distance but to truly restore it I'll really need to rebuild nearly from scratch. Perhaps with a proppa nob sized body...

BjB6lzK.jpg

Anyway I'm UK based so Detol is the bested paint-stripper I can get which usually takes me a few days plus a few weeks longer to remove the smell. Once I know what I've got to work with I'll have a better idea of what needs doing. 

Oh, I used the tube part of the pens to make my loota's deffgun. But thinking about it, I might use to the techniques to make snazzguns instead. Been looking at ornate ottoman cannons for inspiration. Only ornate in this case means extra glyphs and hanging teef and maybe an Iron Gob. I think putting an Iron Gob on your shoota has to be pretty high up on orky decadence, enough to get yourself kicked out of your clan and become a freeboota!

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,769 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Someone's gotta say it so

I've had some problems with the trukks: I used an old can of spray paint on them and the smell still hasn't disappeared.

Paint 'em Goffs

I think putting an Iron Gob on your shoota has to be pretty high up on orky decadence, enough to get yourself kicked out of your clan and become a freeboota!

Especially if it's da bosses iron gob

Love the bike - it seems very simplistic, almost looks cartoony but I think it works really well :thumbs

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

I guess I wasn't finished with those hair ork boyz. Taking inspiration on this thread on kitbashing Goliath for Necromunda, I've added extra armor plates held in place with chains 

oFPWplX.jpg

Also won an ebay bundle with another beakie bike to add to the rest when I tackle that project. The pile of bitz also came with shootas (always need more dakka) and this black ork banna wava:

ztfP5BX.jpg

Wondering what to do with him eventually. Arm can go to a different model for the waaagh banna and that evil sunz symbol might go on a vehicle. The orc itself I might use as a basis for a big mek, those rounded well fitting armor plates look like something a mek might have spend time on tinkering compared to random junk a nob will assemble into 'eavy armour. Another back burna project.

• Garslag likes this

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Quick update/showcase. Painboy is still actually WIP, I have a little something extra planned

eRZeh64.jpg

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Orkimedez like this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Wait. Do my eyes deceive me? The nob on the right is the GD Nob except... I don't remember his head being a separate piece.

Looks good.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I like your mixed skin colours. I always like to see a mixture of different hues mixed into the rabble. Just the ticket for ragtag raiders.
"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Wait. Do my eyes deceive me? The nob on the right is the GD Nob except... I don't remember his head being a separate piece.

Looks good.

Yeah, the Games Day nob has a separate head. An helmeted head is what he came with.

• Mad Grot Docsnik likes this

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Can't take credit for that nob. I got it as it is from one of my ebay wins and I haven't seen the original head in the pile of bitz that came with it. 

I've only just started varying the skin tones but with my current plans there should be enough variation in the end. After the first 30 orks they were starting to look too uniform so I'm following some of the advice here and looking out for ways to add variation. And on that note, I finished the Tankbustas I started in march and they are my most colourful orks yet:

HIXWQc4.jpg?1

Plenty of looted camo here. I love the stuff about Tankbustas keeping trophy's of their tank kills. Wearing the 'skins' of the dangerous beasts they hunt.

• Mad Grot Docsnik, chaoshead87 and Oddztoof like this

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Ix51mk1.jpg

The punk mob is painted! I need to give the mob a proppa name. And then make some punk shoota boyz and yoofs for a full shadow war mob. And their own trukk for gorkamorka. And write some fluff for the rest of the army along with another photoshoot. For this photo, dis is a new technique. Took each model individually using the light off my bike and a tissue to provide an additional source of soft light alongside the sun. Then made a composite. Too time consuming to do a whole army like that. But I really like this mob.

• Mad Grot Docsnik, chaoshead87 and Badfang Brassaxe like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

I need to give the mob a proppa name. 

Maybe your favorite punk band name.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,769 posts

Excellent job on bringing a 2nd ed paintjob up to date - more like these please :thumbs

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Excellent job on bringing a 2nd ed paintjob up to date - more like these please :thumbs

Entirely by accident, I've just been adding embellishments on my basic red paintjob to provide variety until I looked back at the completed mob and thought 'these look vaguely old school'. But I couldn't place it until you brought it. Plus bright colours is very 80s 'eavy metal (hazard striped weapons were also a thing, not just for Iron Warriors). Found a post these forums that put the look as an old paintjob for Ghazghkull's own household. Interesting stuff, although it doesn't really fit what fluff I have for these freebootas. They pick orks from all over the place but ripping off the biggest boss there is is a big no. But fluff has moved on and even paintjobs can be looted.

As for the name, Da Old Model Army is too good of a play on words not to use (even if I haven't listened to the band much. Excuse to broaden music tastes)

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,769 posts

Cheers for the link - always enjoy seeing those old painting guides :thumbs

As for the name, Da Old Model Army is too good of a play on words not to use (even if I haven't listened to the band much. Excuse to broaden music tastes)

Ere Kumz Da Waaaaaagh! https://www.youtube....h?v=NVbJjBoJaaI is pretty much an anthem  :D  

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

Finished photos of the buggy (flatbed from an old trukk, front scratchbuilt), Nazgrub Wurrzag, and three deffkopters

bZfmnvc.jpg

oRGPZTB.jpg

jgTlXlI.png

The custom flying bases don't feel very stable, that semi-opaque material I used doesn't seem to take glue very well. And the rotor blades keep falling off. I'll need to make something to store them properly.

ZVwyzaQ.jpg

PKM7kCD.jpg

4InEO65.jpg

4qH1T9f.jpg

Never managed to get the red paint job exactly how I wanted it, had to say good enough at some point after enough layers and washes. Helmet on the gunner is the same style of conversion as the ones on my tankbustas.

LKGsybX.jpg

I love this old prospector. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to attach magnets to his arm to give him more useful weapons if I'm going to use him in 40k

• chaoshead87 likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
I really like how you've done the paint on the fenders - bright in the middle, dull on the outside. Looks very true to life. Is it just done with washes?
"Parry the 6!"

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts

On the black? That I'm afraid is mostly either a light reflection or bloom from the white parts. It is an effect that holds up in real life if you catch the angle right. There was some drybrushing to pick up the textures I scratched into the plates. I've used washes to pick out the details of the rivets and brush strokes for the metallic chips. There's also an un-even very thinned down brown wash on there. The red paint job was done by building up several layers of dabbling thinned red over a dull rust base (or rather, over the results of my previous failed experimental paint job).

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 629 posts
No, no... the red is what i meant - either side of the driver where you've got that nice bright red in the middle and the dull redbrown on the outside. Looks just like the paint job on my car
"Parry the 6!"

PointBlank

PointBlank

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 57 posts
Oh yeah, that's the dabbing effect. It's essentially what I use on most of my models to simulate 28mm scale crude ork brush strokes or paint chipping at the edges. You can see an example on the deffcopters with the red and black sections surrounded by rust edging. It's on the choppas and armour of the boyz too. The difference with the buggy is I started with more of a merlot colour which just didn't look proppa so I added rough layers of brighter red until it did!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: poorhammer, freebooter, gorkamorka