Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Month of Mork (March) 2017 Painting Challenge

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,540 posts
  • Army Name:Da Blue Thunda Speed Freeks

Oh crud! Suddenly it's March 1st and you don't realize it's March 1st! Quick and dirty, getting this month's painting threats up!

This link will get you into the archive of old threads:
http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=53073

And for those who've never done this, here's da rulez as they originally appeared:

Borrowing an idea from the Privateer Press forums, the Waaagh is now doing a regular monthly painting challenge. I am officially administering it, but also participating in it myself. The idea is, you make a promise to paint and/or build a given number of models at the beginning of the month, and then report back both on your progress and if and when you manage to complete it. Since Orks don't really make vows, they make threats that are usually carried out, we're going to call this your "Painting Threat" --just don't make it a bluff!                      ;)

So here we go...
The Ground Rulez:

• Painting threats will be frozen 10 days after the start of the challenge. There is no changing of *any* threat after day 10. Say what you'll paint, then paint what you say. If you don't already own the models you want to paint, I suggest not making the threat until you do. Painting
    Threats are still accepted after the 10th, but they can not be changed once made.
  • When you finish your threat you will be rewarded by the greening of your name on the Threat List. You can then go on to add Bonus Threats and look really impressive. However, you can not be greened before the locking of the Threats on the 10th. Any additions to your threat made before the 10th go onto your initial threat and will not count as Bonus Threats.
  • This is more of a request than a rule. *Please* post work in progress pics if you possibly can. One of the best things about the thread is watching stuff come together. It's perfectly fine if you don't post any photos, however. Feel free to make separate posts, and then link into this thread so that others can comment directly in your own thread.
  • :soap We need to know unit sizes when you post your Painting Threat.                      :soap

FAQ
Q: Do I have to do Orks or GW Figs only?

A: No, not really. There isn't anything stopping you from doing so, but seeing as this the Waaagh, I think most of us would prefer to see Proppa Ork modelz, and not some weedy panzee piece, or even a more semi-proppa Khadorian Behemoth                      ;) After all, we have new models out there to paint! However, if you do decide to paint something that is of non-Orky nature, any pictures that you post must link to your pictures off-site, or make a thread in the Fungus Beer House. 

Q: I need to change my Painting Threat!
A: You have until Day 10 of the month. 

Q: What if I don't have a camera?
A: We operate on the honour system. If you say you did it, we believe you. There are no prizes, so you only get the satisfaction of lying on the internet if you choose to do so. 
Q: Will you do one of these every month?
A: That's the goal... We'll do one of these close to the beginning of every month... we've now done it for more than three years.
Q: Hey, what if we finish our vow but decide to paint more?
A: Paint away! If you mean, can you get a head start on next month, I guess so. But it's kind of weedy to make a painting threat with a 75% painted unit at the start of the month... as guilty as I am of this myself!                      :blush 
Q. I've not made my threats for the past two months, should I still enter?
A. You bet! The idea behind a painting threat is to develop some discipline as to what you're going to build or paint. Part of the challenge is to learn what you can complete within a given month, and what you can't. If you find you're not making your threat for the month, then reduce the size of it. Don't bite off more than you can chew... take it in smaller chunks. If you manage to finish your threat early, then get working on the next lot!                      :) 

Q. What if I get my threat done early?
A: WeIl, if you get it done early, you can try to make a Bonus Threat where you can add an additional threat only after the existing work is completed. No bonus prizes, but you will get the respect of everybody. Additionally, this can be a way to make sure you don't over-threaten
earlier in the month.                      :) 

Right... now that you've got it, get to it lads!!                      :whip

Registered Threats 

• Agatheron
    (finish) Weather & Graffiti: 3 N-scale grain cars, 
    Paint: Edges of Module, backdrop for my own module. 
    Pour: Water resin for creek on module.
  • Karfang Toofstealer
    (finish) Build & Paint: a Deff Dread and a Big Mek, 8 burnaz, 1 mek gun
    Build & Paint: 8 Burnas, 1 Mek gun
  • Orkimedez
    (finish) Paint: a FW Gunwagon, Squiggoth base, and Blood Bowl Ork Team
  • Dim_Reapa

Build: Brewhouse Bash Board, LOTZ of Grot Tanks, Grot Mega Tank
    Paint: 9 Brewhouse Bash player models and kit, LOTZ of Grot Tanks, Grot Mega Tank
    Bonus: paint Brewhouse Bash Board

• Garr

Build: skullhamma and bigmek project (super sekret, don't tell anyone!)

• Badfang Brassaxe
    Build & Paint: 23 shootaz
    Bonus: build & paint 3 transports

• Mik McMok the Mek
    Paint: 34 Nobz
    Build: 1 Trukk
  • KillFalcon
    Paint: dancing Raptors
    Build: Knight Paladin
  • victorpofa
    (forgot to post his threat :) )

______Agatheron \_______
--Remember, long, uncontrolled bursts,
and indiscriminate target selection.
____________________________/

http://chaplainsbrush.wordpress.com/

Karfang Toofstealer

Karfang Toofstealer

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 52 posts
  • Army Name:Karfang's Krusade
Karfang threatens the Meks in his retinue to komission him a Deff Dread by the end of the month. 1 deff dread and a Big Mek

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 128 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
Finishing the FW gunwagon that I have already posted in the garage (it's only half done).
  • Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,747 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

For yez grotz new to dis whole threatening thing, make sure you state whether it's build or paint or both. No sweat on this one because da Mad Grot 'as 'is ninja grotz all over yer threads in the M.G., but it makes Aga's life easier if yer clear.

As for me, I'm going to make use of the 10 day grace period because I haven't decided if I'm doing anything remotely hobby related this month. I have two sculpting projects on the bench right now. However I may get the urge to build a truk or a few buggies or something as a diversion.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,540 posts

Thanks for adding the updates Mad Grot, I'm still figuring out my own threat for the month. I'm in the throes of helping my model railroad club get ready for a big event at the end of April, but we are in the midst of a small crunch right now because "test day" for the event is a week from Saturday. As such, I need to get some critical pieces done for my own module, as well as helping the club airbrush clouds on their otherwise blank (well blue) backdrops. The big push on that will be this Saturday, and I don't know how much of it we will get done.

So in no particular order this is what I need to do for my own stuff:  finish weathering and graffiti'ing three N-Scale grain cars for my own display. Finish adding vegetation to my own module. Paint the edges of the module to match club colours, paint my own backdrop for the module, and hopefully pour the resin-based water into the creek that I've prepared!

Now to actually put that into my entry. 

______Agatheron \_______

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,692 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Build: Brewhouse Bash Board, LOTZ of Grot Tanks, Grot Mega Tank

Paint: Brewhouse Bash Player models (and accessories*), LOTZ of Grot Tanks, Grot Mega Tank

Bonus Threat: Paint Bash Board

*And they are super snazzy...

Garr

Garr

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 171 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Gar'un Mek-Klaw!
This month i threaten to finish building my skull'amma and my super secret bigmek project.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Warbike Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,532 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Right - gonna try to Nuke Dat Duck by building and painting twenty three slapshootaz with a bonus threat of build + paint three Wessorx transports.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,358 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

I'm threatening to repaint all of my Nobz. Some of them are in dire need of it. I have already started by doing their bases and skin over the last couple of days, but I plan to do the rest of them too. I've 18 with either BC or PK and then another 14 with slugga and choppa. I think I've another couple with burners/kombi rokkits I can throw into the mix too. There is a mix of klans from Evil Sunz, Goffs, Bad Moons, Deffskulls, some freebootas with pirate heads on them and even a few converted over from Black Orks that aren't any particular klan. I'll have to one or two of each Klan for my Boyz units, but I've also got enough Nobz left over for at least two full units of Nobz. I might make these all Freebootas.

Added to this, I'm thinking of scratch-building some form of Snakebite Trukk/wagon, either a flatbed (open-topped) or a barrel-top type as I threatened at the end of last month's thread.

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 4,692 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
IMAG0143_BURST002_zpsqqilniad.jpg

Fair amount of Grot Tanks built, plus another threat... Totally not building a battle fortress. Totally not.
  • Orkimedez, skarnir and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,358 posts

they look great Dim!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,358 posts

I'd better add another threat. I was messing with my Nobz ( no tittering in the cheap seats over there) and was checking out the ones with Shootas ect that I use as Flash Gitz, Anyway, I decided they needed some revamping also, so I added them to my pile of Nobz to be repainted and remodelled. I've already switched a load of heads around so the Gitz all have Gitfinda scopes or helmets, and added bosspoles to all of my Gitz, and I'm not starting to repaint them

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 128 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
Challenge done! (Posted already). But it is still first week so I am going to extend it to:
- paint the base of the FW Squiggorth (has two gretchings and some debris).
- start painting my blood bowl Ork team.

Karfang Toofstealer

Karfang Toofstealer

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 52 posts

Deff Dread is ready, enter 'Da Krip Killer'

20170306_071241_zps2uy2xemj.jpg

• KillFalcon and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,747 posts

Very nice, KT. Now add to yer threat or yer a weedy git. I can't imagine no big mek is gonna take 25 days ta finish. :whip

Lissen up, ladz, I know yez ain't warp 'eads wot can see da future or nuffin useful like dat, but yez threatenin' for A WHOLE MONTH. There's all too much finishin' goin' on before the grace date of the 10th. Think big! Be bold! Put sumfin big n scary on yer threat. Dim's got the right of it... dat seems like a load o' mekkin ta dis grot.

Cheers, ladz, keep up the good work!

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Karfang Toofstealer

Karfang Toofstealer

Rutted Gob Busta

• Grotz
  • 52 posts
20170306_140836_zps358wkg4n.jpg
Enter Waztikk Greaseblud.

Yeah I know it was a small threat but I am usually a notoriously slow painter.
Increase threat by ten boyz, may add more stuff in a week

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,358 posts

Very nice, KT. Now add to yer threat or yer a weedy git. I can't imagine no big mek is gonna take 25 days ta finish. :whip

Lissen up, ladz, I know yez ain't warp 'eads wot can see da future or nuffin useful like dat, but yez threatenin' for A WHOLE MONTH. There's all too much finishin' goin' on before the grace date of the 10th. Think big! Be bold! Put sumfin big n scary on yer threat. Dim's got the right of it... dat seems like a load o' mekkin ta dis grot.

Cheers, ladz, keep up the good work!

lol

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,540 posts
Just a teaser for my latest work on the module. Final pictures to follow later today. 

82C5821E-359E-4141-A9AB-CD59AD172B15.jpg

761C9EA8-715F-4285-9AAC-FA229199D561.jpg

______Agatheron \_______

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,747 posts

Yum! Looks like scummy pond water. I sense good things to come!

Agatheron

Agatheron

Blue Thunda Ace

• Nobz
  • 6,540 posts

And the reveal! :) It is now fully cured, so I can share pictures!

I used a single package of Woodland Scenics' new Deep Pour water. I opted for the pre-mixed Murky tinted water as opposed to getting the clear water and tinting it with one of the other colours. Prairie creeks are pretty murky.

Here's some pics:

7E8D1D10-D923-47C9-B71D-9CDECC5B3D60.jpg

CB816EFE-E3F3-4846-A57A-27E15E162358.jpg

9BE3C990-0D0F-4F0E-8C61-306109FFC65F.jpg

C1DBDC47-E84F-4FAE-A037-8AACFE7103E5.jpg

4BDFDDC1-188A-4C6E-9F3B-B4109E19BA8D.jpg

EBC444DA-FC25-4D0B-ABE2-D179A0F9521B.jpg

And the broad overview:
01997286-B37A-4E2D-B19D-32DA6B8CD4DA.jpg

I have the water ripples stuff that I plan to add some currents and eddies to the creek, but so far I'm liking this a lot. Easy to use, and I can't argue with the results.

• Dim_Reapa, Mad Grot Docsnik, Orkimedez and 2 others like this
______Agatheron \_______