Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Askari Legion Boys/Nobs/Flash Gits/Yoofs

- - - - - Askari Legion Boyz Nobs Flash Gits Yoofs

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Spoiler Summary: Updates to Bad Hombres Freikorps, Freeboota Bad Moon-affiliated mercenaries/pirates

First: Choppa boys
Second: Shoota boys, 10 more metal boys need construction
Third: Big shoota for two units
Fourth: All the nobs
Fifth: Sombrero nob detail

Completed paint base edges, drilled barrels and head (for fezzes), chopped off tall arms and repositioned to lower height

Spoiler

KillFalcon

KillFalcon

Oily Squig

• Boyz
  • 105 posts
  • Army Name:'Eavy Metal Thundar

I'm not sold on the sombreros, but the rest of the Bandito outfit makes it work. Very nice!

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts

I'm not sold on the sombreros, but the rest of the Bandito outfit makes it work. Very nice!

Yeah, when I first saw the Puppetswar sombrero heads they did not work for me. They sent me free one with an order and the character of their head sculpt plus the sombrero grew on me, just oozing character. That head is on a nob biker, but when I get the chance I will tear it off and replace a head in this unit.

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts

Spoiler Summary: Pictures of upgraded death skulls boys, got these to about 75% now, still work to do, but playable now. The shields allow this to be a unit with 'eavy armor, or run as a unit with normal armor (really shields vs. bolters?) The shields are saurus shields, including temple guard shields. Some of these boys are fantasy boys, the ones that are bigger than normal boys, the single pose ones that came in a fantasy starter.

Spoiler

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 490 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Those shields are pretty nice, they would not look out of place on a unit of snakebites at all. Your paint job brings out the best in them.

Looking closely you can spot a couple of details that you're obviously still getting to, but on the whole theyre just fine for the table top.

That middle guy in the bottom pic: I'm going to copy that pose next shoota unit i build.
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,711 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Yeah, I gotta +1 Garslag on your poses. You've done an excellent job dealing with the major bugaboo of ork boyz. And the way you've integrated the shields into the unit via posing does you great credit. I really hate those single pose ork boyz (whether 40k or fantasy), but you've shown that you can make them disappear into da mob.

I gotta say, this project has all sorts of challenges that I never considered. Well, I don't think anyone would have considered them short of attempting this insanity. :eek Maybe I should phrase that as: producing this many orks has unexpected challenges. Because the challenge of sheer volume is quite obvious. I am enjoying the commentary in this thread quite a lot.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 490 posts
As far as sculpting goes, my level of talent has been favourably compared to a 4-year-old using playdo and a trowel. I mention this because I've been thinking about your fezes and i want to be clear about how much ignore you may need to apply to the following suggestion. But have you considered letting your putty cure and then cutting the top off flat? It seems to me this could create a sharp edge that would look quite agreeable.
"Parry the 6!"

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts

At super close up, you can see fingerprints and suboptimal shapes. At normal viewing distance the fingerprints are gone and fez shapes all look right (even when way off.) As for the fez tops, I have found is is better (yes better) to have them less perfect. They are twice as fast to sculpt that way and I found too consistent looks odd in groups.

BTW, I am striving for a modern impression of a fez, not the historical German East African ones my fluff is based on. The German ones are almost cylindrical (and khaki.) The original inspiration was the Handschar Legion (SS Bosnian Muslims), but even not being PC, that was eventually too much for me and I went African auxiliary with the fluff and concept.

From: http://www.tradition...arischuetze.JPG, This is my idealized version.

askarischuetze.JPG

• Mad Grot Docsnik and Garslag like this

Garslag

Garslag

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 490 posts
You know, it struck me after I posted that after having built some 3000 Boyz you had probably had time to zero in on the correct approach to this business!
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,711 posts

All dem boyz and historical research too! Yer okay in my book, derry. :thumbs Those hard-edged red ones may be good enough for the eleventh Doctor, but they ain't gonna cut it for the Askari Legion. :biggrin

• derry and Garslag like this

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts

You know, it struck me after I posted that after having built some 3000 Boyz you had probably had time to zero in on the correct approach to this business!

Most of my boys I did not build, but the build phase of some of my projects does get crazy. I want to spend more time making these boys dramatic, but when it comes to repairs, repositioning, and other chances for this opportunity, I often don't do much. I did reposition the heads that broke off and did try to pay attention to overall composition when placing the shields, but only to a limited extent.

All dem boyz and historical research too! Yer okay in my book, derry. :thumbs Those hard-edged red ones may be good enough for the eleventh Doctor, but they ain't gonna cut it for the Askari Legion. :biggrin

Heh, yeah. Certainly the key part of the sculpting of 1000 plus fezzes is getting fast results, however I justify it with elaborate explanations afterwards. With a tiny bit of care, I can enhance the character of the face and overall the model, even when the hats are sort of more sloppily sculpted than they should be.

Sculpting has become much easier by drilling the heads and gluing in a small piece of paperclip that the greenstuff can adhere too. My old way was to make a couple cuts in the head so the greenstuff would not just fall off, but instead stick into the cuts. Now with peg heads, overall time and my confidence that the fez will stay on improves.

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts

[Pictures to be added later, since it did not happen without pictures.]

Spent time at hobby night working on about 200 mostly-painted choppa boys. These are more of the choppa boys that don't have matching shoota boys. About 50 were totally excess and were divided into three groups, and will go on eBay. The remaining 150 or so were sorted into five units of 30 choppa boys. Many repairs were made to washers in the bases, broken arms and weapons, repositioned arms (for those pointing too high for my trays), and head installation.

Still need to remove about 30 choppa arms from the fantasy one-piece orcs (big boys with separate head), install slugga arms in their place, reposition 20 arms, and install about 10 more slugga arms for various missing arms. Still have about 50 washers to install, in order to make the bases ferrous for magnetization. Only about 50 of the bases need some texturing. The most formidable part of this project is although about 140 of the minis are mostly painted, all but a few of the paint jobs need significant painting upgrades.

My main goal with these 200 minis was to get them out of the bulk tray they were and and decide what to do with them. I don't need the remaining 150, but now that they are "organized" and in a tray, and I am putting effort into them, I guess I may keep them. I guess my big accomplishment is getting my greedy paws off 50 minis. Now I just need to get real and list them.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,273 posts
  • Army Name:Mad Miks motor'eads

loving the sombreros.

• derry likes this

When all else fails Panic
If that doesn't work...then you know you're up to your neck in it!

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,273 posts

I'm using Savage Orruks as Snakebite Orks and using their bone and hide shields and Bone armour as equivalent to heavy armour, (+ 1AV for each) so either getting 5+ or 4+ AV depending on if they have/paid for both options). If your looking for more shields, I'm sure you could find some of these on ebay cheap as the box comes with the option of arra boyz stikka boys  (spears) or madboyz (2cc weapons) as well as the shields and a Big Stikka. They either come to be glued onto a forearm or with the hand and wrist attached and look similar to the ones you used

• derry likes this

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts

If your looking for more shields, I'm sure you could find some [Orruk shields] on ebay cheap as the box comes with the option of arra boyz stikka boys  (spears) or madboyz (2cc weapons) as well as the shields and a Big Stikka. They either come to be glued onto a forearm or with the hand and wrist attached and look similar to the ones you used

Great tip, I will check it out. I plan to build another korp (choppa and shoota units) with shields to have more flexibility.

Mik McMok the Mek

Mik McMok the Mek

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,273 posts

If you want to check out the shields, look at my Snakebite Orks in this month's painting challenge: http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=54497&hl= 

or https://youtu.be/VriJKxRa0ec

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,711 posts

I will check my stock of bitz (requires some basement crawling). I have a bunch of sprues I acquired eons ago and amongst them I believe there are quite a few WHFB sprues. Anything I have no intention of ever using (things like shields) are available to you for the cost of shipping (which should be cheap since you're in U.S.)

I will have a rummage and add a pic to this post of the sort of stuff I turn out.

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts

I will check my stock of bitz (requires some basement crawling). I have a bunch of sprues I acquired eons ago and amongst them I believe there are quite a few WHFB sprues. Anything I have no intention of ever using (things like shields) are available to you for the cost of shipping (which should be cheap since you're in U.S.)

I will have a rummage and add a pic to this post of the sort of stuff I turn out.

That would be awesome. Even though you don't value them much, I do and I am sure I have something I don't value that you need. So let me know.   :thumbs

derry

derry

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 437 posts

Spoiler Summary: Pictures of a new korps made from my scraps bin, with initial work described in post 32 above

Sorry for all the boring pictures, but my goal is to log progress from stage to stage, in order to shore people even large projects can be accomplished by breaking them down. BTW, many of these minis look better in the pictures than they really are. Most need major touchups.

Spoiler

• Mik McMok the Mek and Garr like this

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,711 posts

sprues.jpg

Here's what I have for shields...

• The stuff on the upper left is all one-offs.
  • There are two of the lower left sprue.
  • Bottom center is a spiky boyz sprue, and while those are glyph plates in the center of the sprue, they could be considered shields. There are three of those sprues.
  • Top center is the old WHFB ork shield sprue, 4 shields with choice of clan glyph. I have four of those (mostly populated)
  • Top right is the WHFB gobbo shield sprue. There's 2 and a half of those.
  • And that single shield in the center is from the WHFB Ork command sprue. I've got 8 of those.

So, it's all yours for the low, low price of get-it-out-of-my-house. Let me know what you want and don't want. I can trim down the sprues to save space as well or leave them as is. And if you can think of anything else you need... any ol' bitz, lemme know. I might have them. I found some really unusual stuff that I didn't know I had... like WWII tank parts, a full sprue of individual tank track links, a whole Spiky boyz defiler and a gold chrome X-wing still on sprue.

If you've got a whole list of stuff you need, that's cool too. I don't doubt that you have stuff I'd be willing to trade for. (No boyz though. :lol I may not have 3000, but I have enough for several green tides myself and I can probably manufacture another 100 from sprues and bitz boxes.) The goal for me is reduction of stock. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Askari Legion, Boyz, Nobs, Flash Gits, Yoofs