Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Yellow is Badmoons whether you like it or not!"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Looted Russ Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,929 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)

...it'll undoubtedly be a hindrance considering how dogmatic some gamers are).

Players limiting themselves has nothing to do with GW. People do that for a variety of reasons, though anybody who complains about it needs to have somebody explain to them the concept of free will and then get to work on a little bit of self-actualization.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,249 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz

Players limiting themselves has nothing to do with GW. People do that for a variety of reasons, though anybody who complains about it needs to have somebody explain to them the concept of free will and then get to work on a little bit of self-actualization.

It's not really them hindering themselves. Humans work like a donkey. We need a carrot on a stick to move towards something. If, let's say, gw make a model with twi guns and one gun is 10 shots, d6 damage but the other is 1 shot 1d damage then obviously everyone will go for the one thatbhas the most reward (it's human nature). Obviously this is over the top but you can't deny that GW had many units in armies who are clearly just not good in comparison to other units that do the same job. So, everyone then picks the unit that feels lioe it's worth taking rather than the one that does nothing all game. Even open narrative players woukd do this... look at D&D. I still try to make a god character even if it's just about having fun because I feel connected to this imaginary thing i built. I want it to do well!

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 234 posts
Man, Im bad at human nature then. I just make what looks cool regardless of how good it is. Even in DND I go with character concepts I think are neat above what is actually going to be effective in game.
  • Garslag, skarnir and Warboss Gordrog like this

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,143 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

So were you under a rock for that whole RAW thing then? Not being wholly responsible for dogma doesn't mean that you somehow didn't have a hand in it through your own ignorance and poorly phrased remarks. GW Fanbois only need the least of excuses. GW are really good at handing these out, presumably to make their own lives easier and no other reasons.

As for free will: you are aware that applies to everything right? Including the complaining you're complaining about? You'd get better traction explaining Free Willy. At least that wouldn't be mind numbingly fucking obvious.

Besides, I'm not really blaming GW entirely for this. But it's a thing that happens. GW's issue isn't so much that they cause these things, but that they're shit at combatting them. It'd be easy if they had an ounce of thought for the responsibility they have. But when arseholes take something like Rules As Written and run with it, it's not GW's fault entirely that Jervis tried to clarify as soon as humanly possible and they fucking ignored him (granted his response was weak and he set the ball rolling in the first place).

GW should still be held to a higher account for any issue. Why? Because they're the sole source of authority in this context.

It's a complicated issue. My opinions are all over the place with it.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,249 posts

Man, Im bad at human nature then. I just make what looks cool regardless of how good it is. Even in DND I go with character concepts I think are neat above what is actually going to be effective in game.

Honestly, now adays you are the strange case. When people ask me why I have my army and I say "it looks cool" they look at me like I'm insane.
  • Goreshrek and derry like this

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 478 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

When people ask me why I have my army and I say "it looks cool" they look at me like I'm insane.

Seems like a reason. It is the one I use.

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,249 posts

Seems like a reason. It is the one I use.

So do I but doesn't stop the fact they think I'm insane for not wanting to be competitive. It's not even a joke... i've had people in GW shops be those particular nerd... you know the ones... they sit their painting thinking they're a hooded rogue like han solo or that dude outnof the first lord of the rings. Waiting for a challenger worthy of their skill while praying to their holy GW employer priests and confessing their sins because they thought about something that wasn't 40k. They have glasses (i have glasses but mine are better cus I'm cool ;) ) and a particular tone of voice like "Ahh yes, those filthy peasant hobbyists who come in here and buy a single beakie box... look commoner as i buy a titan from forge world!". I had one if them get up to play a game with me like it was a chore, look at my ork army then sit back down and go "It's not worth my time". This is the reason why, when I'm back in England, I pay £10 a week for an hour long train journey just to get a real game against people who might want to play for fun, despite there been a GW store 10 minutes away. XD

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,547 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I play fun lists all the time.  If I want to blast my opponent off the table I have a few go to options, but nobody fielding Deathwing or Orks is really playing HARD.

warhead01

warhead01

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,479 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Seems like a good spot for what happened yesterday.  Regarding "not being competitive",  Why can't you be competitive? 
Yesterday I took basically a super shit list and played as competitively as I could to a loss.  2 brutal turns. I knew my list wouldn't last for more than 3 turns but I made the turns I had count. My usual Scrumgrod is trying to play as competitively as he can with all of his armies constantly.  :puke   (it's a bit sickening...lol.  )

So knowing I would probably end up tabled I played for the objectives and earned what points I could as aggressively as possible. it was 4 to 2 at the end of turn on and 8 to 7 at the end of turn two, my lead but he went first and we started the third turn where that was that he had another 4 points and I was down to 200 point in models left on the table, "good game."  It's not about not winning it's about kicking him in the teeth with a shit list. Steel sharpens Steel in this case. 
He's a computer on hard mode with a nasty list most of the time. I put zero effort into my list, I was hoping not to play really wasn't looking forward to it but no matter. Turned into a good, if not short, game.  Unless playing competitively just man the best list possible.

But that's none of my business.  ;)

Oh, insane you say...

Well in the land of the blind the one eyed git is king.  :lol

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

greggles

greggles

Looted Russ Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,942 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Should be noted, this only applies to "official" GW tournaments.  Not the big major tournaments across the land. (like nova, adepticon, LVO, etc).

I wonder how GW would react at my changing army, which is getting Goff and deffskullz reinforcements.  (Going back to one of my old ideas of one of each clan item in the army).

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,249 posts

Should be noted, this only applies to "official" GW tournaments.  Not the big major tournaments across the land. (like nova, adepticon, LVO, etc).

I wonder how GW would react at my changing army, which is getting Goff and deffskullz reinforcements.  (Going back to one of my old ideas of one of each clan item in the army).

Really, I have changed my arguemnents to "I wish people would stop,listening to GW suggestions and thinking they're a real rule". The amount of times I hear the "3 units only" from friends is getting on my nerves! It's not a rule, it's a tournament suggestion!
  • warhead01 and greggles like this

greggles

greggles

Looted Russ Pilot

• Boyz
  • 1,942 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Well for me, since I attend multiple tournaments a year, the tournament rules are my rules, as I tend to adhere to them year round.  It's always best to play with the same restrictions you have when you're going to the big events!

The rule of 3 is actually a really good one...fixed so much godly broken stuff!

skarnir

skarnir

Lobotomy

• Blood Axez
  • 751 posts
  • Army Name:SKARNIRS KAMO KILLAZ

but nobody fielding Deathwing or Orks is really playing HARD.

your right, people playing Orks are not playing Hard, the Play on Legendary mode. Chap who won the ITC at warhammer world using orks was clearly not playing hard.

The world is a much brighter place, when you finally pull your head out of your ass.

warhead01

warhead01

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,479 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

I missed that earlier. 
Do you mean now or ever? My death wing took me to 4th place out of 48 players in an ard boys qualifier several years ago...I even tabled an Ork player.  
do they suck now? 

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,249 posts
What? Deathwing players have it harder than Orks a 100%! And I'm saying this as someone who sold his 1990s deathwing army this year but tried it out before I sold it. (Got a pretty penny too. Was nice to sell the metal models though to someone who actually professionally restored 1980s models to a great standard so happiness all around). I had 15 terminators and this alone took up my 1k points. Xd then the tin'eads, with their high ap, blasted them into oblivion on one turn of shooting. XD and this was during the index, i hear it has gotten worse!

But really, from what Inhesr the majority of Orks winning tournaments are winning with sheer bodies, time and luck. They fight armies that are not prepared or run the time. I watched a game of like 200 Orks vs an anti infintry army and turn 1 he lost about 100 orks and was countered with a buffer war... turn two he lost all his support and like 30 orks and by turn 3 it wasn't even a game.

killercroc

killercroc

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,118 posts

So it seems like Terminators still have it rough. They finally got those 2 wounds everyone wanted but with the new AP system getting through their armor isn't too hard. Then again, Smite works wonders for taking them out. Not my fault my opponent deep struck is hard hitting melee unit right next to all my psykers, maybe he'll learn better placement next time  :lol

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,249 posts
Pfft... smit cna be OP as F when you use it correctly. Although a lot of luck is needed but if you ever want to see a faction take down a knight in a single physic phase look at some tyranid armies... and also don't charge your knight at a tyranid army. XD

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,547 posts
It takes a massive amount of work to actually smite down a knight with tyranids. You have to work overtime trying to get enough smite out there for that.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,249 posts
Not when yah role like 3 11s :P notice I say it "can be". But yeah, I remember one game vs a tin'ead where the guy looked like he was going to cry. He was silly and put his overlord at the front of the army to look super cool and because I had no shooty he thought it would be safe. He move forward full speed to charge into my ork lines and my weirdboy engaged (with his +3) got an 11, I rolled a 6 and he died. XD he had all these traits and unvulns and points invested and boom... 18" too close. XD It's why positioning is important but when you have 24"smites spam and the likes you have 4o basically put away the 2 wound models and flood the feild. However, the new smite rules help out a lot with that so good on GW.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,547 posts
Thats an incredible insanely unlikely event. Assuming massed 11s not really a viable strategy.