Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It's comming Boyz!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz
It wasn’t necessarily embraced, there were plenty who disliked aspects of it, but the implication that the previous fluff was liked and the focus on Ctan endearing isn’t true either. The 2011 book expanded the army into a more well rounded form, readjusted some aspects of the army, and moved the emphasis back to the neurons and away from the Ctan, to somewhat mixed reactions. As a whole the neuron community as I experienced it certainly preferred the changes.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,087 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

In your defence, before the 5th edition codex the Deceiver popped up in the fluff so many times even I was getting fed up with him. The retcon still could have been handled more elegantly.

This is without doubt true. He appeared ad nauseam to the point where it stopped being a twist. However, it just becomes a case in point for pragmatism. Because this is ultimately the problem that Ward always brings, which is crowbarring his own personal take into his work, but not only that, elevating it as THE principle take, and that's assuming he leaves the door open for others, which he invariably doesn't. He also doesn't seem to care about resolving plot holes.

I'm not the sort of fan that expects every bit of fluff to have a specific explanation, but Ward evidently just didn't care.

As to how well it's experienced, if you mix with GW Fanbois, they'll love it. They loved 7th, they'll love fucking anything. But let's not pretend that the last 2 Tin'ead Codices (well, before New GWTM. Haven't read the new one. Couldn't care less at this point, the damage is already done to that faction) have been anything resembling decent prose, functional at best, and the 6th Edition book, trite as it is, is generally regarded as the only thing Ward wrote that didn't totally suck. Personally I found the prose excrutiating and the stylistic change cliche and in many cases utterly pointless. But Ward has to stamp himself onto the setting. Unfortunately he lacks the ability to ever do it well.

• Blakkreaper likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,035 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Someone pointed this out on dakkadakka. It's only a small thing to me but the cover art for 8th edition codecies is the exsact same as 7th edition. He said he kept accidentally nearly buying the wrong books. Now, art costs money hut i have to agree it is weird... and also the special edition got new art.
  • Nefairius likes this

Gitkilla

Gitkilla

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 253 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls

Someone pointed this out on dakkadakka. It's only a small thing to me but the cover art for 8th edition codecies is the exsact same as 7th edition. He said he kept accidentally nearly buying the wrong books. Now, art costs money hut i have to agree it is weird... and also the special edition got new art.

I realised that too, even if I don't own the other book. But yeah they put all the energy into the "exclusive new content" so they couldn't focus on the cover I guess.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Metal elitist & into game/level design.

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,436 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull

They're cranking out the new Codices at a hell of a rate. They're going to have all races covered in, what, 18 months? If they have to reuse cover art to make that happen, I think it's a price worth paying.
  • Blakkreaper likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,035 posts

I realised that too, even if I don't own the other book. But yeah they put all the energy into the "exclusive new content" so they couldn't focus on the cover I guess.

But tye special collectors books got new art?

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts

You're paying idiotic money for those special edition codex too.  I don't understand anyone buying those things.

The cover art for the new codex are still great, but they are from last edition.  It is what it is.  They are pumping the books out so quickly it was a corner worth cutting in my opinion.

• jackdoud likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,035 posts
But my point is, they will spend time adding new art for the fancy over priced books but couldn't even select a different peice for the standard ones? Although, it's super minor complaint as ill probably just print of an old ork image and stick it on my cover XD

Nefairius

Nefairius

Stainless Steel Skull

• Blood Axez
  • 588 posts
  • Army Name:Mekboss Morgrim's Waaagh!

Reusing the cover art is pretty poor form, all around. It doesn't really make much sense, art is probably the smallest expense they have for production. Honestly they could have even recycled some images in previous codex books and used those. I can only guess perhaps it was some conscious decision to keep the "face" of each book the same now for the time being, or maybe it is to encourage people to buy the collectors edition? That doesn't make a lot of sense though, that's all entirely a matter of price-value; people tend to buy the codex for the rules not the cover art.

I almost want to think it ties back to them originally not planning to release codexes at all, but still- getting some art done is not exactly a costly, time consuming process.

:? This is a stone cold mystery!  :?

• Blakkreaper, skarnir and Skumdreg like this
Ceterum hoc non est novum Bellum Currus!
Furthermore, we must have new War Buggies!

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts

I don't know, the guy who did their art for the last round is incredible.  Only does covers really.  Real professional artists are not cheap.  Other than causing potential confusion for people who go to buy the new rules and leave with the old (which has happened) I don't see the issue.

Having said all that I buy my rules on my ipads.  I can store everything on there plus my FW PDF's and its on a 12.9" screen.  Makes it easy to find what I need!

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 996 posts

I was under the impression that they used the images of the previous editions covers for puppies and orks as a placeholder in the announcement. I never thought that they were showing the actual covers of the 8th ed books. 

• PhillyT likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts

Most of the 8th edition books have used the 7th edition covers!

• Blakkreaper likes this

Nefairius

Nefairius

Stainless Steel Skull

• Blood Axez
  • 588 posts

I don't know, the guy who did their art for the last round is incredible.  Only does covers really.  Real professional artists are not cheap.  Other than causing potential confusion for people who go to buy the new rules and leave with the old (which has happened) I don't see the issue.

Having said all that I buy my rules on my ipads.  I can store everything on there plus my FW PDF's and its on a 12.9" screen.  Makes it easy to find what I need!

I don't know if GW has a set of salaried artists, or just contract them on a job basis, but you don't even see credits for them in the books, or anywhere. From what I understand, cover illustrators for books at the high end get a few grand for their work, which is in line with what MTG artists [can] make for their art. But lets say they do a contract to someone really good, and they pay them some outrageous sum of 10k for some cover art, well that's still an inconsequential sum in the total production cost of the book. If they have guys on salary, then you can figure the cost goes way down since they're working on art all the time. I've always thought the art for 40k was good, even the goofy old stuff was often great (but less consistent), but it's not out of line with the quality of a lot of other, similar stuff this day and age. 

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

If you look at the pik on pp 42-43 in the index it would suggest that they ought to be able to just photograph some of their models for the cover - especially if they got whoever takes the photos for the Imperial Armour books to take them.

skarnir

skarnir

'Ead Graft

• Blood Axez
  • 726 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR

Holy smokes I agree with you on something

You're paying idiotic money for those special edition codex too. 

.....and then you go and ruin it  :P

They are pumping the books out so quickly it was a corner worth cutting in my opinion.

Personally I think its poor form for GW to use the same covers from the previous codex from the new hobbyist perspective.

they may think they are buying the latest codex without realizing.

Having the same cover does not help in that regard, for me personally its not going to be an issue.

I was one of those fools who bought the limited edition 7th ed codex which was an absolute ripoff and

a cluster Fuck in logistics on GW's part regarding edition numbers.

That's without mentioning the dire content or lack there of in the book itself.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the 7th edition codex was the worst codex EVER written for orks.

(and yes I have read and own actual copies of all of them)

• Blakkreaper and Badfang Brassaxe like this

The world is a much brighter place, when you finally pull your head out of your ass.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts
The artist who did those covers was credited!

Personally, when I think of good Warhammer art I immediately think of Karl Kopinski. He is amazing.

Nefairius

Nefairius

Stainless Steel Skull

• Blood Axez
  • 588 posts

The artist who did those covers was credited!

Personally, when I think of good Warhammer art I immediately think of Karl Kopinski. He is amazing.

Where? I looked through a few books and didn't see any artist credits for anything in it. I mean, where are any of these guys credited? a tucked-away page on the GW site?  :search

Karl Kopinski is also a prolific MTG artist, he's a good one, and he paints goblins real good. He's never done art for a really dominating card. It's a tradition in MTG that good cards end up with bad art, and the cards with the best art are invariably unplayable in constructed.

• Blakkreaper likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,035 posts
Hmmm, okay. I view it from a collectors perspective. I love to collect the old book mainly because their cover art is cool. If you can a cabinet (I don't) to display your collection then it would look a bit odd.

Lexington

Lexington

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 198 posts
  • Army Name:Zagdakka'z Ladz

I was one of those fools who bought the limited edition 7th ed codex which was an absolute ripoff and

a cluster Fuck in logistics on GW's part regarding edition numbers.

I feel like I'm the only person who really liked their 7th Ed "collector's edition" Ork set. The box it came in is really nice, and has survived two or three moves for me in good condition. The little counters are great for objectives, and just great gubbins to have around. Obviously, the 7th Edition book itself was utter crap (well, it didn't have to be, but after tin'eads it was obsolete), but the materials were still good.

"Gargrazz knew the importance of the dramatik paws, so he had been silent in mid-sentance for over three hours now."
- "Ork Story Bitz" by Chris Hutchings

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 996 posts

Most of the 8th edition books have used the 7th edition covers

can't say I've noticed as I only buy the codexes for armies I play and the only 8th one that's come out so far is tin'ead and I never looked too close at the covers.

TBH I've entirely skipped the fluff sections of the last 2 sets of codexes and rulebooks I've bought from GW as well, I just don't expect anything new to care about in them.