Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

It's comming Boyz!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,280 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
https://www.warhamme...wdors-and-more/
  • hakbash, Lexington and Blakkreaper like this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,280 posts
"both the Orks and Space Wolves codexes will be absolutely packed with new content for your games. If you’ve been looking on enviously as other factions get their time in the sun, your patience will soon be rewarded."
  • Lexington and Blakkreaper like this

killercroc

killercroc

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,127 posts

Part of me is expecting the new content to be like a few relics and 1 new model :P

Cynicism aside I'll be looking forward to getting some new Ork stuff. I haven't touched my Orks in forever waiting for the codex to drop before I built/buy anything else. 

• Blakkreaper likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,280 posts
Yeah, their speach can be said for any factions. Remember what they have said in the oast... could be hype building or could be awesome. Or could be space wolves get 20 new models and we get a new sprue that gives boyz eye patches but it costs £100. XD

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,479 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull
Bring on the plastic Big Trakk! The death of the looted wagon left a big gap in the model line between trukk and battlewagon.
  • Blakkreaper likes this

Lexington

Lexington

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 271 posts
  • Army Name:Zagdakka'z Ladz

Part of me is expecting the new content to be like a few relics and 1 new model :P

Entirely possible, but Im at least a little hopeful that well see some new units and models. One of the preview images just a week or two ago looked very much like an Ork jawline, and Skarboyz were mentioned for the first time in ages in the new Deathwatch book. With the Knights, were seeing precedent for new units coming with these later Codex releases, too. Crossing my grubby green fingers...

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,550 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz
Id be happy with klan rules, relics, strategems, and a couple rule tweaks. Its a great book already. I think theyll go a bit beyond that.

PeaceCraft

PeaceCraft

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 882 posts
  • Army Name:Da KogDeff Broozaz

I agree philly. the stuff everybody gets + new models cuz we were last (so something like first of the new wave)
and i'm hopefull for a few conceptual changes that were mentioned for some of our existing models. like when flashgits got changed from upgunned shoota boyz into actual nobz with heavy dakka

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 239 posts
That sure does tell us theyre making a codex! Ill be more excited (potentially) when the previews start rolling in.

Until then, since Ive always loved Cawdor, thats more interesting to me. My favorite parts are the budget guardian spears, the crossbow propelled grenade (CPG?), and the fellow in the back with one shoe dual wielding grot blastas.

Gitkilla

Gitkilla

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 463 posts
  • Army Name:Death Skulls

New content probably means a 10 dollar upgrade sprue to make big gunz from the mek gunz kit in this case.

Metal elitist & into game/level design.

Nefairius

Nefairius

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 642 posts
  • Army Name:Grand Meklord Morgrim's Waaagh!

So, a confirmation of what we could only expect. No indicator of when we'll get it, wolfbois might come first, meaning we'll be closer to the end of the year, or maybe we'll get our book sooner, which suits me just fine.

I see a lot of people are cynical that we'll get a serious update. I'm one of those, at times. The update we're all hoping for is to me, just as feasible at the moment as the light dusting the Drukhari got. I can only hope, either way, that they don't shred the accumulated two decades of ork lore in an effort to preserve their IP or attract fair-weather fans who won't be here in another decade as many of us are.

both the Orks and Space Wolves codexes will be absolutely packed with new content for your games

What does that mean exactly? Does anyone remember what they said before the Drukhari codex, or the tin'ead codex came out, if those were "packed"? Are these weasel-words? Packed with new adventures in the book, or new models?

• Snarknit Grokguzz likes this
Ceterum hoc non est novum Bellum Currus!
Furthermore, we must have new War Buggies!

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,280 posts
If GSC get a new model but Orks don't then I will rage! This has been a topic for a while, how GW is chasing money like many businesses now and it will ultimately lose them money in the long run. My partner who studied Businesses and is doing a PHD in it told me a similar story. How companies are currently going through a boom as they're pushing for new markets to make fadt money when ultimately their main source of money (the older fans) will dwindle away as they become alienated. There is a solution but it's normally a natural growth of fans by including everyone. However, lots of companies are abandoning this solution for a few million extra for about a 5 year period. New people always go for newer things as these new things tend to define their generation, or you would have everyone still wearing top hats as the top hat company tries to relate to a younger audience. Not sure if any of that made sense as it doesn't make too much sense to me but she's the major in it... i'm just a historian.
  • Nefairius likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,550 posts
People keep talking about the lore. Whether GW adds a pile of lore or not is irrelevant. It doesnt remove existing lore, which is freely available, and doesnt keep with what theyve been doing in other books. They may add lore but only in cases where armies were completely reworked have they fundamentally changed an armies background as was done with tin'eads.

If the rules are flexible then Id be happy.

pugthedog

pugthedog

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 4 posts
I'm very excited now this is revealed. So we will get a codex within 3 months max.

I would be happy with a comprehensive codex with lots of flavor and fun.

New models would be nice too but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,280 posts

People keep talking about the lore. Whether GW adds a pile of lore or not is irrelevant. It doesnt remove existing lore, which is freely available, and doesnt keep with what theyve been doing in other books. They may add lore but only in cases where armies were completely reworked have they fundamentally changed an armies background as was done with tin'eads.
If the rules are flexible then Id be happy.

We've gone over this many time... I have lots of pictures if my girlfriend but I would continue to like taking pictures of her... if she died or left me I have a right to be extremely upset even though I still go the old pictures. Yes, i just compared my gf to 40k..
  • jackdoud likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 1,009 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

And Skitarii, as I noted in the other thread - you never responded to that.
"Parry the 6!"

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,143 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

The problem with this argument is assuming that the majority of GW's fanbase cares about anything other than a faction's representation in the current line of Codicies. I've been in debates and arguments regarding fluff where people would say "oh but that's not in the current Codex" implying that it's thus not currently supported and thus doesn't exist. I encountered this with Monoclan Waaaghs, where a few people decided that the 3rd Ed saying Monoclan Waaaghs (and Tribes for that matter) existed was basically retconned by time.

And as I've said many times before, Codex fluff is IMPORTANT. Not because it represents all of a faction, but a current snapshot that is the most accessible source of fluff for everyone in the hobby at that point. This means a few things:

[1] Any mistakes or errors become canon. Older stuff disagreeing will be deemed irrelevant and poor research can easily lead to accidental (or worse, sometimes deliberate) retcons.
[2] Oversimplifications or Omissions contribute to a poor understanding of the faction. Every 40k fan expects Codex fluff to represent the primary reality of the faction to the extent that they don't need to read anything else.
[3] Old sources are available only if you know where to look and what exists. Most of the Ork players on this forum most likely have never read a physical copy or PDF of Waaargh! The Orks. Most people on here have probably not even read the few bits I quote in Orkish Misconceptions.
[4] The 40k Narrative has moved for the first time in over a decade, and it's the most major change ever. So saying the fluff in this book is irrelevant is spectacularly missing the point. It is entirely possible that Orks will be totally changed creating a retcon in totality.
[5] Fluff frequently changes in small ways, often by omission, sometimes in error and frequently by indifference or in search of Flanderisation. Just take the oversimplification of Freebootas.
[6] The Codex is a faction's most important book. It's the ONLY thing regarded as Canon in GW's entire library. Everything else, including all of Black Library, is regarded as lesser, and effectively non-canon. A case can be made that GW doesn't have canon at all, but by edict, all BL writers have only one limitation on their writing: what the codicies say is law.

Thus fluff is poo-poed as irrelevant in all discussions that matter when Codicies rear their ugly head. The authority of the newest book is always the greatest stumbling block to debate about fluff. It's also the most important tool for the same purpose, so it's the one bit of fluff GW has to get right.

If you only care about the game, crack on. At this stage I only care about the fluff, and until we get a fluff discussion section, this section is where it's going to get mentioned.

The fluff "still being available" is the actual irrelevant bit. The old fluff is fine. We know, because it's already written. But as you say, new material attracts a new audience. That is the ultimate and foundational understanding those people will ever have of that faction, and it will colour their attitude to the rest of it. For this reason alone, Codex fluff needs to remain consistent and is crucial to the continued existence of the faction.

I personally have done what I can to unify old and new and make it available and accessible to all. The greatest threat to that is a Codex that stomps all over those efforts. Old Fluff still being available means nothing when people are primed to dismiss it. They most likely don't even know it's there.

I presume by "new content" they mean relics, traits and shit fluff. That's what I'm expecting. Going off the last one it's a safe bet.
  • Blakkreaper, Dr. Pepper, Nefairius and 3 others like this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,550 posts

So really the most likely fluff added in the book will be whats been happening since the great rift.  When was the last time they came out and completely invalidated a swath of ork fluff?  As far as I can recall, its essentially been core concepts, some tid bits, and they simply ignore much of the remainder.  They have completely retconned one major faction (tin'eads) whose fluff made personalizing armies somewhat limited.  But even there they threw a bone to the old fluff and allow people who had armies based on it to remain viable.

I'm at a bit over 100 games with orks this edition.  The index is very good.  The only army list that hasn't been "competitive" for me is dredd mob, ironically.  The kans are too many points for what they give.  Actually most of the meks are too many points which is their issue.  If the book gives strats, relics, and traits its going to be very good.

killercroc

killercroc

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,127 posts

If GSC get a new model but Orks don't then I will rage! 

I can kinda see that but at the same time as someone who plays GSC I'd like to point out realistically they only really have 3 boxes for the army; Neophytes, Acolytes and Rockgrinders, past that they have an HQ bundle box and the rest is Imperial add ons. I'd be glad for Aberrants to get a box because as is the only was to get them is from the battle box, and they only have 2 poses so not a lot of variety there. I'd like them to get some more new units just so there is something besides genestealers and angry mutants with shotguns. 

As for the marketing bit, well Warhammer has never been hugely popular but GW is now totally doing a "Hey there fellow kids" bit to get customers. It'll be interesting to see what they do in a few years when they realize those people won't be playing long term. Yeah sure their profits are up now but Profits now instead of long term customers won't keep the lights on for them.

• Blakkreaper and Globlatron like this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,280 posts
Nah but i wanna rage!