Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ork rules for Shadow War?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade

There is a lot more open ground on that than what I am used to.  In a situation like that then shooting is a lot more useful and I can see a strategy of dakka being a lot more effective.  There is a fair amount of cover on the board there, but not a whole lot of easy ways to completely block line of sight.  There are also some wide-open areas.

In the end, how much and the type of terrain that you play on will make a huge difference.  We usually play on a board where there is no way to draw line of sight from one edge to the other, and usually you cannot draw more than a 8" line of sight without some piece of cover obscuring the shot.

Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts

Played 2 more games last night with more terrain. Seemed to go better but getting into assault range is still tough if your opponent doesn't want to. 

20170510_193412.jpg

20170510_204527.jpg

• skarnir likes this

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 666 posts
  • Army Name:WAAARGH SKARNIR
Im likingthe set up you guys have.

Not being able to get into combat does not bode well for my Team.

The whole concept is for yoofs with shootas and Bigshoota armed spanner boy to give fire support while, Nob with Big choopa and boyz with slugga choppas close in for the kill.

May the Enemies blood on your choppa never dry or your welding torch grow cold!

Ork Tactics by Laughterofthegods

https://www.dropbox....actica.pdf?dl=0

http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50985

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts

The whole concept is for yoofs with shootas and Bigshoota armed spanner boy to give fire support while, Nob with Big choopa and boyz with slugga choppas close in for the kill.

Same here but so far my Nob has done pretty much nothing. Given that the range of the slugga is better than the charge range of the boy I'm finding it's usually better to walk forward 4" and shoot than run forward 8" and get knocked down. You have to gang up 2-1 if you're going to attempt a charge.

CannibalBob

CannibalBob

GuildBoss Skabnoze

• Blood Axez
  • 2,303 posts
  • Army Name:Kommandur Dragztor's Skull Krumpin Brigade

While yoofs are a good candidate for a shoota, they are also a good candidate for being dirt-cheap bullet sponges.  One thing to remember is that enemies have to shoot at the closest target and they can only avoid that target if there is an easier shot to take.  So, it does not hurt to have some dirt cheap Yoofs on the roster whose prime purpose it to move ahead of the rest of your boys and make sure that the enemy has to pump bullets into these guys first.  That is generally how I get my boss and some other guys into combat.

The Orks biggest strength in this game is the large numbers you can have in the kill team (which was always a huge deal in Necromunda).  Take advantage of the large roster and cheap Yoofs and use a number of them in utterly expendable roles.

On the topic of the boss, I recommend that everyone arm their boss with a Kustom weapon - either a kustom shoota (2 sustained fire) or a kustom shoota/skorcha (flamers are amazing in this rule set).  I also recommend arming the boss with a big choppa.  The boss naturally has 3 attacks and that is plenty for the way the combat system works in this game.  You get a pretty negligable bonus for arming the boss with 2 weapons, but you get a huge increase in combat effectiveness if you give the boss a kombi weapon and a big choppa.

In regards to combat, you pretty much have to run flat out while hugging all of the terrain you can get and making sure that there is generally at least one cheap Yoof that is both the closest and easiest target for the enemy so that you can get close enough.

• Mad Grot Docsnik and jackdoud like this
Freebooter Fungus Lager: Only da Finest Fungus!

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 666 posts

Taking into account the fact that ork boyz and yoofs use the same models Iv decided to use Berets to denote the veterans/boyz of the group.

This serves as both a quick visual reference and ties into the blood axe theme.

• jackdoud likes this

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 975 posts

Taking into account the fact that ork boyz and yoofs use the same models Iv decided to use Berets to denote the veterans/boyz of the group.

This serves as both a quick visual reference and ties into the blood axe theme.

I've been using Helmeted vs Unhelmed for boy/yoof delineation.

skarnir

skarnir

Steel Teef

• Blood Axez
  • 666 posts
I was thinking of doing the same jack.
But I decided that the beret was a nice blood axe twist.

plus Im thinking of giving the slugga choppa boyz silencers for their sluggas and back packs, at which point they get a life outside of shadow wars as kommandos when they do nit the bullet in a campaign.

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Seems to me that CBob's tactics are pure ork straight down the line. Bring enough bodies. Charge in full bore. Biggest (and luckiest) boyz survive to win the combat.  Could that have been intentional in the ruleset? :lol

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.