Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trukks- Assemble or Paint first?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Galacticz

Galacticz

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts

Hey guys,

Trukks seem like a hell and a half to get together properly, let alone to paint after the fact.

How do you all recommend going about getting these bad boys put together and painted? Should I fully assemble? Partially assemble? Paint on sprue?

What do you guys do?

I appreciate any tips or advice you can give me.

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 239 posts
My tip is use the trukk kit as a prepackaged bitz box to loot other things. At the very least throw the instructions out as soon as you open the box.

More usefully possibly, I would just assemble it and then paint it. If you try to reduce it to subassemblies you'll have so many of them that you may as well just paint it on the sprue.
  • Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,385 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

More usefully possibly, I would just assemble it and then paint it. If you try to reduce it to subassemblies you'll have so many of them that you may as well just paint it on the sprue.

I would say that if you're using the stock driver and controls then you're best painting that assembly first (and the inside of where he'll be sitting) before gluing those particular bits together.

Galacticz

Galacticz

Hair Squig

• Grotz
  • 69 posts

My tip is use the trukk kit as a prepackaged bitz box to loot other things. At the very least throw the instructions out as soon as you open the box.

Do you have any suggestions or tips or links of how best to go about converting a trukk from this kit? I have never really done it before, and although I know its really a thing of personal preference, I was wondering if there was anything "hidden knowledge" i might be able to glean from you all? 

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 239 posts
I like using parts of the frame, suspension, and wheels to help loot skimmers. I'd also carve out a likely place for the engine so that it's still visible. The bed and armor plates can be...well...armor plates. Having the the driver stick out of whatever cockpit area is always good. Gunner can go in most pintle mounts on most vehicles. Rams/bumpers can go on the front or back of just about anything.

Most important bits of looting:
1) Don't just glue bits on randomly if you can avoid it. Integrate the bits into the build. Which leads us to...
2) Think about how the orks got ahold of it. Typically, they don't ask nicely, nor do they find the keys in the ignition. Something is gonna be broken and the mek will be creative about fixing it.
3) You don't have to use the entire trukk on one looted vehicle! My last trukk kit was split between a looted rhino and a looted dark panzee...raider? I think? The thing that looks like Jabba the Hut's skiff if it was made by Batman. Anyways, the point is it went into two projects and there's still plenty of bits left over.
4) Looting wagons is great fun! Go wild and when you're done all your trukks will be unique, which is proppa and orky!
  • Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,385 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

I tend to use bits of other kits and Milliput for filling gaps, making panels, sometimes even fabricating new bitz - there's a lot that can be done with the trukk kit, don't know if this and the subsequent posts will help any http://www.the-waaag...=54790&p=723778

The builds are spread about a bit - this is how the trukk ended up looking http://www.the-waaag...=54790&p=726811