Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Killa Kan Question!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Big Mekboy Chumba

Big Mekboy Chumba

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 134 posts
  • Army Name:Da Steel Boot Boyz
Are Killa kans more effective currently ran as singular units in a spearhead to help with morale losses and to negate overkill shots from a destroyed kan passing onto the next? All running them as a group seems to do is give an extra attack? (I wouldnt be sending them into CC with hard targets anyway)
If I break it, I'll fix it.
If you break it, I'll fix you!

greggles

greggles

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,952 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Kan's are currently excessively over pointed.  You actually do want them in CC, as they do horrific amounts of damage.  Good combo is baby sit a nob with waaagh banner in the middle of them, then they are hitting on 4+'s in CC, dishing out 4A each.  Small group will murder most things.  (Ork Dread claws are one of the most effective CC weapons in the game, at -3 AP and 3 BASE damage each).  

Their actual dakka ability is pretty lack luster at the moment, as they are paying a lot for the grot accuracy but with only a single shot per model.  If you want dakka, buggies are currently much cheaper, faster, and have similar surviability to the kans.  Their double shots make up for the lack of 4+ in shooting (2x shots at 5+ > single shot at 4+).  Combined with dakka dakka (which everyone should be using now, since it is a published rule), the buggies win by a huge margin over the kans.

That being said, I usually run kans in groups of 3, but have experimented with a group of 6.  6 is a bit unwieldy on 60mm's.

I'd really just wait a month before outfitting killa kans, as I'm sure they are going to either get a 10-15 points drop, or get buffed significantly to make them a viable unit again.  Even with double gun arms though, the mek gunz and buggies would still be better firepower for the points.  Almost want to double claw them up.

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Looted Russ Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,930 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)

Don't run large mobs, as a poor Morale check can cost you.  I would run two per mob, as when one dies then a Morale check of only a 6 will take out the second one. The Scrag' em! rule really falls short when weighing the potential benefit versus the potential loss, so overall smaller mobs are better.

Orkimedez

Orkimedez

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 309 posts
  • Army Name:Waagh
Double killsaw Kans could very well be a thing out of the box and would actually be playable if they were only to be a bit faster.

As their current implementation, I shelved them.

greggles

greggles

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,952 posts

Ya all the ork dreads need at least +2" movement, and the ability to move/charge through ruins (at least the killa kan and deff dreads).

PeaceCraft

PeaceCraft

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 882 posts
  • Army Name:Da KogDeff Broozaz

In the current edition i run 6 with grotzookas and rokkits (whats modeled on)
the zookas aren't that good anymore, but i field the full mob because i like the scrag em rule, and i want them in CC anyways.

greggles

greggles

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,952 posts

Ya, their CC ability is surprising.  I actually ran a game with 18 (6x3) not too long ago with some deffs and gork/morks...it was surprising how much damage they did.   The morale isn't really an issue.  If you lose one, if you roll a 6, you take 1 Mortal wound.  Not super crazy.  Generally most people just try to wipe out the whole unit anyway...its pretty rare to run 3 or 4, and not have them all wiped out when something decides to finally shoot them.  Their threat rating is so low most just ignore them till they get to CC and dish out damage.

dscarlatella

dscarlatella

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts
1 mortal wound? Was this in an FAQ I missed? I usually babysit a warboss to do d3 wounds to prevent whole models from running. Would be great if that wasnt needed.
  • greggles likes this

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Looted Russ Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,930 posts

No kidding. Source please. The core rulebook states one *MODEL* is removed for each point Morale is failed by (p. 183, bottom paragraph).  Utterly significant change for any low Ld multi-wound model units, if it is true.

• Blakkreaper and greggles like this

greggles

greggles

Looted Russ Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,952 posts

Oh man, have I been playing it wrong this entire time? I'm suddenly agast.  Thanks for pointing that out Gents.

• warhead01 likes this

dscarlatella

dscarlatella

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 7 posts
No worries. Im just glad I didnt miss something that big.
  • greggles likes this

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,143 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Oh man, have I been playing it wrong this entire time? I'm suddenly agast.  Thanks for pointing that out Gents.

All of a sudden, Greggles not great Walker Army got even worse...

• Big Mekboy Chumba, Badfang Brassaxe, skarnir and 1 other like this

Big Mekboy Chumba

Big Mekboy Chumba

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 134 posts

Haha yeah, its my main reason for worrying about fielding them in a large mob! Especially since it could be multiple models lost due to morale! Q_Q I think Ill go with Shabba and run them in pairs! Thanks for the input guys, Im not super worried about changing loadouts or stuff to be the MOST effective possible, Im just wondering how to run what I have (6xwith rokkits) as effectively as I can even if its not the best =)
  • greggles likes this

Nefairius

Nefairius

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 638 posts
  • Army Name:Grand Meklord Morgrim's Waaagh!

On the topic of kans, anyone got tips on making some pauldrons for the metal 3e edition ones? All mine are from before the plastic kit came out.

Ceterum hoc non est novum Bellum Currus!
Furthermore, we must have new War Buggies!

Big Mekboy Chumba

Big Mekboy Chumba

Kickin' Grot

• Boyz
  • 134 posts

On the topic of kans, anyone got tips on making some pauldrons for the metal 3e edition ones? All mine are from before the plastic kit came out.

I got nothin I’m afraid! I tried putting some on mine, but it just ended up looking like they’d hinder the arms too much >_<

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Looted Russ Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,930 posts

Rounded Pauldrons for Metal Killa Kans Arms

Preparation Time: a few minutes

Basic Modeling Time Per Model: about 15 minutes (if it takes longer you probably suck at modeling, but hang in there! :D)

Decoration time Per Model: a few minutes if you are just gluing on spikes/rivets/ simple stuff; longer if you are making glyphs and such from scratch

Directions:

Buy two different sizes of appropriate diameter plastic tubing; one of which fits snugly inside the other (Evergreen Models tubing works nicely).  Glue the smaller diameter tube inside of the larger diameter tube, which will make your pauldron armor thicker and more proppa lookin'!  Then cut a now thicker walled cylinder section to the correct length. Stand the cut cylinder on end and split it down the middle to get two pauldrons. Then glue a square post to the center underside of each pauldron. Then drill a hole in the square post and insert a pin (cut paperclip, brass rod, whatever). Then drill a location hole in the shoulder of your metal Killa Kan arm. Glue glue the pin into the hole. Decorate pauldron with spikes/blades/glyphs, as desired.

For angular pauldrons, build the shape using pieces of plastic, and be sure to double the thickness so the armor isn't (and doesn't look) flimsy. Mount a post similar to above, tap it, glue in a pin, and attach it as above.

• warhead01, Nefairius and Giganotosaurus like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 481 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Shabbadoo's solution sounds superb. Consider current Killa Kans plastic pauldrons, purchased from a plastic parts purveyor. I would suggest some surgery solves seating issues. Alter as needed, and attach with super glue, or quick setting epoxy. As above, a pin may be needed. I prefer to use cut to length straight pins myself. They are cheap (one box will last a lifetime) strong, and are available in a variety of thicknesses. Good luck.

Nefairius

Nefairius

Steel Hornz

• Blood Axez
  • 638 posts
  • Army Name:Grand Meklord Morgrim's Waaagh!

Thanks guys. I was overthinking it, gonna go through my garage and see if I have some plastic tubing laying around that'll work. Now i'm not sure if I want rounded or flat pauldrons. I might even have some leftover metal brackets I could mangle into pauldrons.

Ceterum hoc non est novum Bellum Currus!
Furthermore, we must have new War Buggies!

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 1,005 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Badfang just posted a 3E kan with pauldrons in the Mek's. Could be worth checking out for ideas...
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,382 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Badfang just posted a 3E kan with pauldrons in the Mek's.

So, pauldrons iz shoulder boards :blush Over the klaw arm I just used a spare shoulder board off the dredd kit sunk into an arced Milliput support, for the other side I made an arced support clear of the weapon mount and pressed it into the hull far enough that it didn't interfere with the up/down/removal of the gun, made a flat semi-circle of Milliput and pushed that down onto the arced support and then applied some small blobs of Milliput for rivets and dug a few holes in it with a scalpel blade for bullet holes.