Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mega Armor Warboss an' uver stuff

- - - - - Blood Axe Scratch bulding terrain painting

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

greggles

greggles

Frantik

• Boyz
  • 2,049 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Love work in these pieces!

• Itinerate Ork likes this

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

It looks it  :biggrin If you cut the front shield down the middle, make a couple of cutouts in the outer edges of the shield for the wheels to fit into and possibly a rectangular cutout in the bottom front of the carriage (for the wires), it should be possible to mount the gun a bit further back like this

Project2_zpsv5m7psfb.jpg

Apologies for the  compulsive photoshopping  :blush

Other than that, looking well-proppa  :thumbs What are you going to do about kroo?

Thanks for the comment - you're right that the barrel is longer than it needs to be. I didn't measure the width before making the carriage platform and it won't fit between the shields. My plan was to bulk up the back to fix the weight issue and be more careful with the other ones in the battery; seeing your photoshop, though, I may back track and reconsider the shields. I am not sure I can get the gun off the carriage at this point though.

I am planning to convert up some crew - either tonight or this week. I'll post pictures unless the idea I have in mind is a total disaster.

That's amazing!

Love work in these pieces!

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback a lot  :biggrin Building stuff this way is fun, but it's time consuming. I'd buy that kit several times over if it was sanely priced at MSRP.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Okay, one step back two steps forward. I removed the cannon to shift it back and after some fixing, I got it pretty close to where Badfang suggested (sorry for the poor focus on this picture). It won't sit any further back due to the wires on the underside of the barrel.

DSCN1797_zps0c8kxauh.jpg

The original shield won't fit any more so I made a new one. It still I have nothing better to say and maybe more detail:

DSCN1798_zpsk0uvp19m.jpg

This helped the balance a lot and I added a rear tire to help level the carriage and shift the center of gravity more. Also, in a bit of looting that might make a Deathskull proud, I cut out a console from an old G.I. Joe tank to provide some sci-fi looking controls and some other gubbinz to give it some worky bitz.

DSCN1799_zpssmqwo8qi.jpg

And, as promised, here is the WIP crewman:

DSCN1800_zpshnyje1zk.jpg

He is (obviously) converted from a Night Goblin. With all the new Ad-Mech stuff all over, it occurred to me that a Blood Axe Boss might see the Ad-Mech wonder weapons and try dressing the grots up in red robes and weird goggles to tap into the same power.

He's such a little guy he's tough to photograph but his other arm will hold a tool of some sort. He's magnetized to the carriage and his robes will be painted a dark red (I think).

I also used grey stuff to fill the gap on the Nob's PK arm and added a boss pole, so that model is ready to prime. The mek gun needs about 20 rivets or so and it's done, unless someone sees something glaring I am missing.

Comments and Criticisms greatly appreciated - I am planning to build several of these guns (1-4 more, possibly) so I really appreciate the feedback

edit: explained lack of rivets

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Since the last update I posted, I've nearly finished the three models I was working on.

Nob with PK and Bosspole

DSCN1834_zpsaatjnyu5.jpg

Big gun crew:

DSCN1835_zpsariixlkm.jpg

Big gun:

DSCN1832_zpsxsyqovq3.jpg

DSCN1831_zpsu0nrwmlw.jpg

With crew:

DSCN1838_zpspiwqxllo.jpg

Do you think the crewman is bright enough?

Thanks for looking, comments and criticism appreciated!

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Big Bad Squig

Big Bad Squig

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 86 posts
  • Army Name:Sonz of Gork

I love that crew member, looks like a member of some weird grot cult!

Who's afraid of da big bad squig?

Lost Legions o'er on B&C:

II: http://www.bolterand...on-project-log/

XI: http://www.bolterand...on-project-log/

Space Wolves: http://www.bolterand...s-space-wolves/

Dark panzee: http://www.dakkadakk...ist/659879.page

Targetlokk

Targetlokk

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 128 posts
  • Army Name:Da Krimson Freebooterz

Cool stuff Greggles!

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

The paint isn't quite so sloppy in person  :sowhat  - the image is much larger than the actual model.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,416 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Adeptus Groticus, gun came out well and love the paint on the gun wheels  :thumbs

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Adeptus Groticus, gun came out well and love the paint on the gun wheels  :thumbs

Something like that. I was thinking more like Orkus Mekanikus but either is good. Thanks for the kind words!

As far as the rust/used metal here's the recipe:

• Base with warplock bronze
  • Stiple with Ryza Rust - I use a beat-up old brush for something this size, or a sponge for bigger/flatter area. The goal is to add rust color and texture without completely obscuring the base coat.
  • Stiple with Leadbelcher sparely, especially on edges or parts that would be rubbed or contacted during use
  • Stiple with Agrax Earthshade (or Typhus Corrosion)
  • Wash with Nuln Oil - Rather than using the paint as intended to provide shading, slather a ton on. It brings the brightness of the Ryza Rust down a bit, which I personally prefer.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Quick Update:

Gun - done:

DSCN1866_zpsx7eccgkw.jpg

DSCN1865_zpspufdh1ww.jpg

Nob - done

DSCN1867_zpsxbv36mxp.jpg

It might be a few weeks before I have any more progress to show - gonna be away from my workspace for a bit. 

Thanks for looking - C&C always appreciated  :thumbs

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,416 posts

That gun is just too tempting for my DeffSkulz  :P Expect a Loot in Progress soon  ;)

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

That gun is just too tempting for my DeffSkulz  :P Expect a Loot in Progress soon  ;)

Looting is the highest form of flattery! I look forward to seeing what you come up with  :thumbs

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts
Proof of life:
DSCN1900_zps1jivak6r.jpg

Nothing terribly exciting I am afraid, but I am working on 12 shoota boyz. They're nearly done except camo, clean up and bases - and arms...
DSCN1905_zps71q9sz5l.jpg

And, to make the scratchbuilt gun a legal unit, here is the second crewman.
DSCN1904_zpsripnbklo.jpg

Another night goblin. The hammer is made from a spear and the head of an old Necromunda pit slave weapon.

These guys ought to be done soon, then I'll get back to adding a couple more mek guns to make the unit viable.

​Thanks for looking!

• Nos'grog likes this

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Ok - finished out the shoota boyz I was working on. Here they are with the Nobz who will be leading them most of the time.

DSCN1912_zpszcokcwju.jpg

DSCN1909_zpsaisoretf.jpg

In theory, they should complement each other so I can run them as a big unit or two smaller units as needed. I used to paint all my units with the same scheme, but this can quickly get confusing when 20 or 30 models get tied up in a multi-unit assault, both in terms of tracking casualties over several turns and reconstituting the units after the scrum is over.

I also made solid progress on the big shoota boyz for these units:

DSCN1913_zps9oaw6u3p.jpg

I also finished the grot crewman but forgot to take a photo. He doesn't look much different, to be honest.

Once I get the Big Shootas done - probably tonight - I will either start the stompa or add more Big Gunz and crew next. I have been thinking about the Stompa and was wondering if anyone has tried building one actually stomping.  I've seen some exciting poses on Imperial Knights and was wondering if anything like that has been done on a stompa. I am nervous about cutting up such an expensive model, but it is tempting...

As always, thanks for looking - C&C welcome!

r_squared

r_squared

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts
Looking good. I like the mek gun particularly, it came out really well.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Thanks r_squared! I am planning to build a couple more like it for a battery.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,416 posts

Very proppa  :thumbs

, but this can quickly get confusing when 20 or 30 models get tied up in a multi-unit assault, both in terms of tracking casualties over several turns and reconstituting the units after the scrum is over.

Coloured backplates - red for red troop, bloo for bloo troop etc., vertical line (or axe shaft) for 1 squad, horizontal line for 2 squad etc. BloodAxes is organised  ;)

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Okay - another update!

First, I finished the big shoota boyz:

DSCN1914_zpsbzvrbiv6.jpg

I am really pleased with how they turned out - especially the one with the topknot.

Second, where I live, we have four real seasons and two are bad for using spray paint. Summer tends to be too warm and much too humid, while in the winter, the temperatures can get too cold for good results. Rather than doing the responsible thing (build, paint, repeat) I am trying to get as much built and primed as I can before it gets too cold.

So, I finished building the truck from page 1 of the thread! (10 months, not bad...). I'd been hung up on the gunner more than anything else. Here is the very easy conversion I did to equip him with a rokkit.

DSCN1920_zpsovnzipkd.jpg

DSCN1921_zpshxwnoki1.jpg

Easy enough - skorcha missile from the Blitzbomma kit I built and some guitar string and plasticard. It is annoying a conversion is required at all since this options been around since the previous codex. 

I also build a counts-as killsaw for my Deffkopta mob. My last couple games, they've gotten caught in assault and haven't been able to do any damage :scowl , so I thought this was in order. Plus, it will help with tank/vehicle hunting.

DSCN1918_zpsdviwekct.jpg

DSCN1919_zpsrai4iuth.jpg

Hopefully, there will be time to get a few more things thrown together in the next couple weeks - including a stompa.

Thanks for looking - comments and crits welcome  :thumbs

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Goff Boss

Goff Boss

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 203 posts
Very nice indeed. Quality rokkit conversion that, and agree it's annoying we have to convert them!

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Thanks Goff Boss! Nothing fancy, hopefully it looks stock when it's painted up

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Axe, Scratch bulding, terrain, painting