Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mega Armor Warboss an' uver stuff

- - - - - Blood Axe Scratch bulding terrain painting

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Tankworks

Tankworks

Grot Slave

• Boyz
  • 145 posts

I like them a lot!

• Itinerate Ork likes this

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Another slow update!

Five more tankbustas done!

87a2a6ff-6cc7-41e5-95b1-7d3e870752f2_zps

Nob:

e659d65e-f8cd-4577-8dbb-4d27517c21ca_zps

I also started on the Blitz Bommer. Maybe it will be more effective with paint - even if not, it's a neat model.

34da7769-191c-49e3-ac8e-267bec2c9a85_zps

I also torn the guns off a couple old scratch built skorchas. I will replace them soon with rokkits and better paint:

930b5af2-f357-4709-a713-d9254c17ecf9_zps

95cc3e05-7ab0-491b-889e-a5103ba797b0_zps

C&C appreciated - thanks for looking

edits: second attempt at resizing photos

• warhead01 likes this

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Progress on the Bomma! This is a really fun model to paint - good level of detail but not too fiddly. I am not a very neat painter, even if I try, and this has just the right level of detail to be fun rather than annoying. I may even have to try decals on this one.

DSCN1692_zpsmif59vi1.jpg

DSCN1694_zpszdqrjwrh.jpg

Progress:

- Metal base coated and washed

- Red base coated, layered and washed

- Wash applied to green, highlights started on the right wing and half of fuselage 

I could use some input on the underside:

DSCN1696_zpsqeirtopr.jpg

Right now, it has one coat of Fenris Grey on it and I'd planned to add a second one to get an even color, but it looks kind of neat right now too. Should I leave it this way or clean it up?

Thanks for looking - C&C appreciated!

• warhead01 likes this

Alienerd

Alienerd

Wartrukk Gunner

• Grot Rebelz
  • 1,678 posts
  • Army Name:Rebel Grotz

That patchy look on the underside is really orky, I would be tempted to leave it if it was mine! I guess it all depends on whether you can see the brush strokes in the grey, or if the patchiness looks more natural.

How many kans can a killa kan kill if a killa kan can kill kans?

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Thanks! That's precisely the problem.  I will try to hide any obvious ones and see where that gets me.

PeaceCraft

PeaceCraft

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 859 posts
  • Army Name:Da KogDeff Broozaz

i like it dirty that way, just leave it as is. maybe add some oily streaks too

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

i like it dirty that way, just leave it as is. maybe add some oily streaks too

Thanks for the comment - here are some oily streaks!

DSCN1713_zpsvyl8vcz2.jpg[/URL]

I tried some sponge chipping - I think it worked but more may be needed. 

I also added checks to the tail - this needs another coat of bleached bone and then some clean up.

DSCN1714_zpstar7rs7q.jpg

The sides are coming along well but the spine is a bit rough and may need to be redone.

Also started the bombs

2117e9c6-2c51-4f8e-8c75-0319e76bd806_zps

The black areas will receive checks, unless I have too many problems with the curved surface :biggrin

Thanks for looking - comments and criticisms appreciated!

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Nearly a month between updates...*sigh*

Anyway, I made some real progress on the Bomma:

DSCN1716_zpsvogzcjrr.jpg

Inspired by warhead01, I tried some sponge weathering:

DSCN1719_zps7ig2qfyf.jpg

Finished the crew:

DSCN1717_zpspdma0sjs.jpg

DSCN1718_zpsonb4mgkw.jpg

And the bombz:

DSCN1720_zpsqbqbnczh.jpg

I am pretty happy with the result. The last thing I want to do is add the rest of the canopy and try some decal to the wings. Overall, this has been a really fun model to build and paint. 

C&C welcome - thanks for looking!

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Finished the canopy on the Blitzbomma:

DSCN1730_zpsqyh0npou.jpg

I know this might not be the most useful unit but it's sure fun to assemble and paint.

Rather than finishing it by putting on the decals, I started up the remaining Tankbustas - they're nearly done now

DSCN1726_zpstg6qg4ut.jpg

And, for a bit of fun, bomb squigs:

DSCN1728_zps2xzblvjw.jpg

After all, the orks aren't the only ones who need camo. The yellow one will get cheetah or leopard spots.

Thanks for looking! 

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,316 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Army's coming along nicely - yer window kleening grot is certainly earning his teef  :yes

Just painted a squighound, thought about leopard spots but totally bottled - good luck with yours  :thumbs

dood515

dood515

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 302 posts
  • Army Name:Kogbasha's Trakkboyz
If you're improvin' the paint, which is lookin' great by the way, I'd look over them skorchas properly and get 'em up to the same grade modellin' wise. First thing I spot, that half barrel on the side.
One of the many reasons why orks are more fun to play; Bosspoles:

"Roight ladz!, Barry's dead, an' if you don't kill dat fing Steve's dead too, alroight!!?"

QUOTE (Oddballz @ Dec 8 2009, 11:02 AM) *
I like my armies to have proppa guns, tracks and wheels, and not gribbly appendages with veins and orifices.

I seem to have started a blog: http://therustywartr...blogspot.co.uk/

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Army's coming along nicely - yer window kleening grot is certainly earning his teef  :yes

Just painted a squighound, thought about leopard spots but totally bottled - good luck with yours  :thumbs

Thanks Badfang! Progress is slow but it's progress. Honestly the windows were a lot easier than I expected - I tried masking the first set of panels and by the second set I just painted carefully.

If the spots prove too annoying, I may end up with two tiger ones...

If you're improvin' the paint, which is lookin' great by the way, I'd look over them skorchas properly and get 'em up to the same grade modellin' wise. First thing I spot, that half barrel on the side.

Thanks Dood! I agree that the former skorchas need some work - they're going to be rokkit buggies and the fuel drums I hope to give them a try on the tabletop before too long and, if they perform well, they may be headed to a Simple Green bath and rebuild. Either that or start from scratch with some warbikes.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Okay! More updates...

Finished the remaining tankbustas:

DSCN1748_zpsurifnegc.jpg

And the bomb squigs:

DSCN1751_zpssga0oyio.jpg

Full mob shot:

DSCN1755_zps68fcdvvo.jpg

I also started in on the two big choppa nobz

Yellow armor (inverse scheme from Warboss)

DSCN1758_zpsxakecxvk.jpg

Grey armor (same as Warboss)

DSCN1757_zpsrdcyb29w.jpg

I am not quite sure the yellow is quite right.

Thanks for looking! C&C welcome

• DocNuK likes this

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Long time, no update, but I have some progress to share:

DSCN1776_zpscqktkavj.jpg

DSCN1781_zpsmyykv5jh.jpg

Both of the Nobz are nearly done. All that's left is to apply some Lahmian medium and a bit of weathering to the decals and some flock to the base. This is the first time I've tried using decals in nearly twenty years because of how frustrating it was the first time around. Fortunately, there was really useful tutorials on YouTube and it was pretty easy this time around. This was a good practice run for putting some decals on the Bomma.

I am pretty happy with how these have come out - they look different enough that I won't get confused between the two mobs on the table top but they are similar enough that I can (eventually) put them in the same Green Tide.

Thanks for looking - C&C welcome.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

I've been working on a few different things lately, some new stuff for the da orks and some stuff for da ladz to fight over.

First, I've been painting the wrecked lander from the Battle of Macragge box set, which I picked up off eBay. 

DSCN1784_zpsjexfv2pq.jpg

It needs a heavy dose of weathering to finish it up. There's another large piece that also needs to be painted as well, but I've run out of primer.

The other terrain project I am working on is a bit more involved - bastion/tower. The base for it is an octagonal piece of styrofoam which held a magnum of champagne. I've sealed it off with Modgepodge (basically water and glue mix) and covered it with some spackle to cover up the styroform texture. I've tried making stuff from styrofoam before and it doesn't take paint well, so hopefully this will help.

DSCN1782_zpsuyecrrwd.jpg

Here's some of the additional details added and a shot to show the scale:

DSCN1788_zpsztv2gzsy.jpg

DSCN1790_zpstj1tjo7t.jpg

Lastly, I'm working on a mek gun scratch build. The official kit is nice but $46 is nuts for a single gun. panzee get a battery of three guns for $65; literally half the price per gun. 

Anyway, here's the chassis and gun so far. It's got a ways to go yet, so it takes a bit of imagination to guess what it will look like when it's put together.

DSCN1785_zpsq148auvs.jpg

DSCN1787_zpsvsf7wipr.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments and crits welcome.

• Badfang Brassaxe and Big Bad Squig like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,316 posts

Good start on the mek gun, hadn't thought of using wall plugs for barrels  :thumbs

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Good eye. I know my limits and making fiddly little bits is not my strong suite, so I try to save funny shaped bits of plastic.

The wider bit and the wheels are made from a spool of thread. 

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

Well, more slow updates and more excuses - minor back injury slowed me down last week.

Here's progress on the big gun. It's not as squared up as i might have hoped but not a disaster I don't think:

DSCN1793_zpsqnmrbpo4.jpg

DSCN1791_zps3gkhmn6r.jpg

(The metal thing on the carriage is not part of the model - it's a very small vice that's holding the model up - the big gun is a bit front heavy...)

I also won a couple auctions on Ebay - a couple old metal PK nobs and...a stompa :thumbs

Here's the first PK nob - minor conversion, just pinned the arm at a more interesting angle.

Hopefully the next update will be faster and will include the gun fully built and maybe some crew. Any comments or critiques are always appreciated - thanks for looking.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,316 posts

(The metal thing on the carriage is not part of the model - it's a very small vice that's holding the model up - the big gun is a bit front heavy...)

It looks it  :biggrin If you cut the front shield down the middle, make a couple of cutouts in the outer edges of the shield for the wheels to fit into and possibly a rectangular cutout in the bottom front of the carriage (for the wires), it should be possible to mount the gun a bit further back like this

Project2_zpsv5m7psfb.jpg

Apologies for the  compulsive photoshopping  :blush

Other than that, looking well-proppa  :thumbs What are you going to do about kroo?

Goff Boss

Goff Boss

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 203 posts
That's amazing!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Axe, Scratch bulding, terrain, painting