Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mega Armor Warboss an' uver stuff

- - - - - Blood Axe Scratch bulding terrain painting

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

I am converting the AoBR Warboss into a Mega Armor boss. It's mostly finished.

9b564f28-eae0-4dfd-a4f2-675c5af6448a_zps

d5e67ba6-48a5-48a8-9fc4-25fa115662e3_zps

Size Comparison with pewter MANz

124d6432-afa0-4c67-b439-982ab0c9a9a5_zps

I think it's basically finished but would appreciate any suggestions about what I ought to add. I think I need to add a couple rivets on the back and pop it on the base.

• XIXWYRMEXIX, Redtoof, warhead01 and 2 others like this

Drakon7

Drakon7

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,057 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAAAGGGHHHH! O'da Red Orks!

looks great!  I'll probably do this with one of my AOBR warbosses I recently purchased!

Just cause wez a bit pinkish don't mean we ain't proppa!

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Thanks for looking and commenting.

I'd planned to make this guy for a long time - I had another model with the same equipment as the AOBR boss before the set was released - and held off to see what the new core rules and codex did to point costs and benefits. Honestly, it seems to me that Warbosses are better now and there's an even higher premium on protecting them to insure they can make use of their once-per-game ability.

I put a fair amount of time into this guy and I don't want to miss some detail that could easily be corrected at this stage.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Update

(that only took a month...)

I noticed two rivets I needed to add after the last post, so with that done, I've started in on painting him:

DSCN1523_zps0e3d0180.jpg

DSCN15241_zps2f373450.jpg

I started with the metal and skin areas and I'll work on the armor once that's done.

He's a Blood Axe, so he will be getting some camo, similar to my battlewagon

DSCN1507_zpsd7d89baa.jpg

and the helmet and iron gob will be similar to the red on my MANz:

DSCN1511_zps0c3b6763.jpg

Comments and criticism appreciated - I am early enough in the process to fix things still!

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,411 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Update

DSCN1511_zps0c3b6763.jpg

Comments and criticism appreciated - I am early enough in the process to fix things still!

If you are going to organise/reorganise your Photobukkit account do it before you link to the pix  ;)

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

:biggrin Oops. Thanks for looking and pointing that out - it should be fixed now.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,411 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

No worries - armour's looking good, really liking the engine bits, about the only thing I could suggest to'improve' it would be to tie the left arm into the suit with a bit of bracing and a couple of hydraulic cylinders - but maybe that's just me  :biggrin

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Thanks for the compliment. The gears in the engine come from a small wind-up car along with a motor from the 2nd/3rd ed. warbike and a gas can from the warbuggy kit. Frankly, this is about the only use I've come up with for these kits and I've got several of them that I received as gifts but never built.

You're right, there's no brace or hydraulic on the left arm and it kind of bugs me too. I tried a couple things before priming it but the space is really limited and ultimately, I didn't think anything I was trying improved the model. I was/am too scared to cut the claw off because I like the original sculpt.

I am a little stumped on how to paint the claw. I am tempted to give it hazard strips, honestly.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Update! 

I am making (slow) progress. The layering, washes and highlights are done, except for some mistakes I need to clean up on the lower jaw. Next will be camouflage, camo highlights, glyphs, weathering and the base. 

DSCN1548_zpsf3c046c2.jpg

Side view, since I haven't shown this angle yet

DSCN1550_zps9547cd9a.jpg

Close up - I am really happy with the way the new GW paint range works. Having a consistent intermediate color (Warboss Green here) and highlight (Skarsnik Green) makes highlighting a lot less painful.

DSCN1552_zps992d33ab.jpg

And, because I am happy with it, detail of the engine and worky bitz

DSCN1553_zps779dae31.jpg

C&C appreciated - thanks for looking

• warhead01 likes this

Wurg

Wurg

Bag Squig

• Boyz
  • 104 posts
  • Army Name:Wurg's Trukka Boyz

Lovely model, very bulky as any proppa megaboss should be....but it sort of backfires because it makes the AoBR power klaw look weedy, and who would ever want a weedy power klaw?

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Thanks for the compliments about the conversion. I've been looking at this model a lot and a fresh perspective is appreciated. I had looked at the klaw before I primed it and decided it was stocky enough to go with the rest of the model. At this point, I think I will finish painting it and see how I feel about it then.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Finished!

7bfc5a07-9858-4f16-9b9f-fa25d316a400_zps

Added highlights, glyphs and some damage

DSCN1595_zps59abd266.jpg

Here he is on his battlewagon!

DSCN1601_zps9b078a56.jpg

And I started work on some tankbustas and a looted wagon/battle wagon

DSCN1602_zps6070dbe6.jpg

Thanks for looking! Comments and crits appreciated

• Redtoof and greggles like this

Nozeminer

Nozeminer

Glorifier of Grotz

• Deathskullz
  • 2,021 posts
  • Army Name:Snotbagz Nozeminerz

Looks good. :thumbs The only thing I could suggest is to add some scratches and chipping around the edges of the armor. And possibly some dirt and grime in the recesses wouldn't hurt either. He looks a little too clean ATM.

Yoo kin pikk yer Warboss an' yoo kin pikk yer noze. But, yoo kant pikk yer Warbossez noze.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Kromlech for all your Orky goodness.

Nozeminer Studioz

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Long time, no update.

I've been trying to bring my army into 7th and adjusting to the new codex.

Over the past few weeks I've been trying to get things built to get them primed before it gets too cold for the winter, which is getting me started on a lot of projects but not too close to finishing them.

The biggest thing I've done is build and prime a Blitz Bomber:

DSCN1635_zps01725889.jpg

I magnetized the big bombz by putting rare earth magnets in the wings and small pieces of ferrous metal in the bombs - they come off easily enough if you want them to, but they hang in place until you do.

DSCN1636_zpsd6ce2ff1.jpg

I am also working on a unit of tankbustas. I've got one set of the unit GW sells and I'm trying to supplement it a size where it's useful on the table top. I am aiming for a mob of twelve, with no tankhammers. I've built a couple more and acquired a couple very old orks with rokkits to bulk out the unit.

67e3b808-18e2-4b94-96e4-3d06d9e6b654_zps

These models bring the count to 8, so I need to sort out 4 more. I am planning to try to re-use some of the old models I converted about 10 years ago:

DSCN1633_zps5006af6d.jpg

I'd like to think my painting has improved since I did these.

I am also finishing up my mega-nobz. I posted the two finished ones earlier, here are the two others I have to go with them.

DSCN1629_zps73e2e31c.jpg

The torso/legs are done, the rest of the parts are about halfway there.

Hopefully the next update won't take me a month. Thanks for looking.

Grotskul

Grotskul

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 378 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! Grotskul

Good stuff  :thumbs

I've wanted to do a unit of tankbustas but the box set is too small, and the rokkits for kitbashing are too damn hard to come by..  anyway, yers look good so far..

I guess you could pull the bombs off the Bomber and use it as a dakkajet if you wanted to.

Jobs a good 'un

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Happy holidays! More slow progress to report. I am trying to finish building the units I need to run a new list. I need to add a trukk, two Nobz with Big Choppas and shootas to lead a trukk boy units, 2 deffkoptas and finish up the tankbusta boyz I started last month.

Here's the trukk - minor kitbash done to the engine and crew compartment. I used parts from the Dakkajet here and I will use the 'spare' trukk parts on a looted wagon. I plan to arm this trukk (and my other two) with a rokkit launcha, which I haven't built yet - it would have been nice for them to include that in the kit when they made it an option in the codex...

DSCN1653_zps8f125787.jpg

Here's the deffkoptas - heads were swapped with spares from Dakkajet kit.

DSCN1655_zps2b2c8142.jpg

Here's the first nob - the body is from AoBR, with a head from the WFB warboss kit, an iron gob, a boss pole from the warbike kit and a shoota arm from the old pewter nobz box set.

DSCN1656_zps1db0e5e8.jpg

Here's the second nob - he's more WIP. Head from AoBR warboss;left arm from old pewter warboss, with attack squig removed, torso and boss pole from old pewter nobz set.

DSCN1658_zps90521aa3.jpg

His right arm holds a large two-handed choppa, made from two old pewter nobz choppas, brass rod, guitar string and plasticard.

DSCN1659_zps5a94a7fb.jpg

The finished model should look like this:

DSCN1660_zpse50d035b.jpg

Both nobz still need green stuff to close some gaps and add some small details, like grip on the big ax.

Comments and criticism welcome - everything is still work in progress at this point and can be changed!

Thanks for looking.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Updates!

Slow progress continues!

Both nobs with 'uge choppas are built! Here's the one with the custom ax:

DSCN1663_zpsebc4c5a0.jpg

I also finished the last two Meganobz:

DSCN1664_zps87810f0b.jpg

DSCN1665_zpse5a6bbbb.jpg

Full mob:

DSCN1666_zps6ba81939.jpg

Da boyz saw their first action of 2015, versus my skumgrod's beakies, in a desperate struggle on planet Plywood IVxVI

IMAG1055_zpsd67c688a.jpg

The MANz fought well early before bad luck saw they fall to a half-strength tactical. Here they are taking care of one of the four(!) dreadnoughts my opponent fielded.

IMAG1056_zps08b35731.jpg

Da ladz carried the day by quickly securing vital locations and massing to repel the inevitable counter attack.

C&C appreciated, thanks for looking.

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 1,016 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

Scrolling through here I realised I forgot to comment on your Megaboss.  Which is funny, because I think he's about the best example of a Boss in Mega ARmour that I've ever seen.  A lot of people's builds end up looking like a Mega Dread with an ork head sticking out the front, but yours looks the right size to actually have a warboss inside of it, and it keeps the aesthetic of the Meganobz.  Awesome.

• Itinerate Ork likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

Scrolling through here I realised I forgot to comment on your Megaboss.  Which is funny, because I think he's about the best example of a Boss in Mega ARmour that I've ever seen.  A lot of people's builds end up looking like a Mega Dread with an ork head sticking out the front, but yours looks the right size to actually have a warboss inside of it, and it keeps the aesthetic of the Meganobz.  Awesome.

Thanks for the comment! I did have scale somewhat in mind when I started the Warboss and I used the metal MANz as a guide for where the armor should go, especially on the arm and legs. Honestly though, all I did was slap a bunch of plasticard and bitz on to the AoBR warboss. I wasn't going to use him and it became clear that GW was not going to release a separate Mega-Armor warboss, so the AoBR boss provided a good starting point.

Started painting the tankbustas - here is the test model:

DSCN1668_zpsea935cad.jpg

Thanks for looking - C&C appreciated

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 363 posts

More progress on da Tankbustas:

DSCN1679_zps3dd972fd.jpg

One more finished:

DSCN1680_zpsf7cc8c37.jpg

Based on their performance the last couple games, I think they'll be a staple of my army going forward. Unfortunately, I will have to wait for spring to prime the last five of them.

Thanks for looking - C&C welcome 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Axe, Scratch bulding, terrain, painting