Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1850 Points - Starter Army - Ork Horde Detachment

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Vindicatus

Vindicatus

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 2 posts

Hey folks! I'm coming back to 40k after a long hiatus and am looking to pick up playing orks. I've been watching a lot of batreps recently and I think I have an idea of what I want to build as a list. I'm looking for any tips, critiques, or suggestions. I'm not looking to be hyper competitive, I'm just looking for a fun list that will give me some laughs. 

Thanks in advance!

-- HQ --

Warboss in Mega Armor - Bosspole, Da Lucky Stikk

Painboy 

-- Elites --

4 MANz - Boss Nob with 2 Killsaws and Boss Pole, one with 2 Killsaws, and two with Kombi-Skorcha

- Battlewagon with Kannon, 4 Rokkit Launchas, Reinforced Ram, Extra Armor, and Boarding Plank

12 Tankbustas - Boss Nob with Boss Pole and Power Klaw, 11 vanilla Tankbustas

-- Troops --

12 Boyz - Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Boss Pole, two with Rokkit Launchas, nine with Sluggas and Choppas, 'eavy Armor, and Trukk with Reinforced Ram

12 Boyz - Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Boss Pole, two with Rokkit Launchas, nine with Sluggas and Choppas, 'eavy Armor, and Trukk with Reinforced Ram

22 Boyz - Boss Nob with Boss Pole, two with Rokkit Launchas, nineteen with Sluggas and Choppas

-- Fast Attack --

20 Stormboyz - Boss Nob with Power Klaw and Boss Pole, 19 vanilla Stormboyz

Blitz-Bommer - stock

-- Heavy Support --

10 Lootas - stock

'Urghnould

'Urghnould

Vampire Squig

• Boyz
  • 108 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh! 'Urghnould

Looks fun and varied and actually not too far from what I tend to use in my groups relax environment. You may or may not be interested to read what I have put up in the batrep section. ^^

A few things I note:
The boyz have two rokkits, I think they get one per 10 so 12 would get 1 (or is this some sort of wording thing again like with the grotz?). As they are in trukks and will be zooming in on the enemy at full speed you might be better off leaving the rokkits altogether. The trukks may btw now change their big shootas to rokkits for free.

For the mob rule, it might be good to add a mek to the Lootas? You can then survive a few pinning or morale checks every now and then - the mek could be toting a rokkit or a big shoota (for a few points extra).

You have a lot of stuff on your Battlewagon - I like the reinforced ram and usually go to battle with 2 rokkits. Considering, as with the trukks, that you will probably be moving up as fast as you can, you could consider what you get to shoot at different speeds. A boarding plank could be useful too with slow meganobz innit, but the extra armour I find redundant. (It's usually death at that point.)

I like the stormboyz a lot these days so I like to field a large unit. It might be a bit unwieldy though at such a large size - try it out and don't be afraid to leave "one or two" of them at home.

If you are playing very friendly opponents that megaboss might be very very nasty. Considering the level of the ork codex it doesn't matter too much, but against new players or super-softies it might be worth a second thought. (That said I love a megaboss with a lucky stikk. And I rarely play without him.) ps. Isn't the lucky stikk also a bosspole?

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

'Urghnould

• Vindicatus likes this

Check out my hobby blog! (Latest Ork update)

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 905 posts

As 'Urghnould said, only 1 rokkit allowed in the boys units. That said since you're running them as Slugga boys I'd skip the rokkit all together as the point of them is to get into CC and stopping to shoot one rokkit isn't worth it. Take the free upgrade on the trukk to a rokkit so if it survives dropping off the boys you've got an oversized buggy and leave the shootin' to the boyz what know how. 

Similarly the PK nob in the tankbustas is going to be standing around with an expensive klaw and nothing to swing it at most of the time. Drop the klaw, give him a rokkit and take another boy with a rokkit. Assaulting tanks with tankbustas isn't what it used to be since now only one guy in a unit can use bombs in CC a turn. If you still want some punch give the nob a big choppa since he'll be hitting rear armor anyway and it won't slow him down.

As to your battlewagon, extra armor is a joke to orks and you'll never get close enough to use the boarding plank. With your points savings from everything else I'd suggest castleling the tankbustas into the battlewagon instead and giving the meganobs a trukk to get them across the board faster. 

• Vindicatus likes this

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,357 posts

I like the Meganobz in trukk and tankbustas in battlewagon idea.  I also think the battlewagon is too expensive.  Drop most of those rokkits and the boarding plank.  Now that tankbustas can only throw a single melta bomb they will mostly be shooting so you can even drop extra armor as they won't be charging with any luck (the nob and Klaw is a good buy as it gives you some flexibility but you still would hope to be shooting with these guys.  

I would put the painboy in with the Meganobz and use the warboss with the Lootas.  He can give the Lootas slow and purposeful (letting them move and shoot without penalty) and tank hits if you put him out front.  

I would also use a Combined Arms Detachment instead of the Ork Horde detachment.  Hammer of wrath if you roll a 10 or more is pretty hit or miss, but objective secured can be pretty darn useful.

• Vindicatus likes this

Vindicatus

Vindicatus

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 2 posts

Hey guys, thanks for the help! If I move the Tankbustas into the Battlewagon is it worth putting a Killkannon on it? My original plan was to roll the Battlewagon full of the Warboss, Painboy, and Meganobz and get them stuck in CC as quickly as possible. If by some miracle the Battlewagon survived it would be able to operate as a bit of an anti-tank platform. I've been watching a lot of batreps recently (and thanks for the heads up on yours 'Urghnould, I will check them out!) and I've seen most trukks die on turn 1. I didn't want to leave my most expensive melee units with their jibblies in the breeze. I do like the idea of the Battlewagon full of Tankbustas though, I'm going to play around with the points I can shave off the unit and see what it can get me. I was thinking about adding a battery of lobbas if I can find the points.

I really appreciate the help!