Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trust in Rust: 8-29-18 Nova Open 2018!

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
366 replies to this topic

Boss Ardnutz

Boss Ardnutz

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 632 posts
  • Army Name:da Maniakz
Nice work indeed. Love the soot, is that done with pigments or paints?
  • greggles likes this

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

Thank you! 

Soot, Dust on lower shields/feet, and the blue glows are all done with weathering pigments.  I especially love the pigments because you can easily remove them if you aren't a fan of the effect. (as long as you don't fix them in place)

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 887 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
How would you go about fixing them in place greggles? I'm a pigment virgin.

These guys continue to look brilliant. Did I already comment on how into the big orky faces on them?
  • greggles likes this
"Parry the 6!"

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Hey Garslag!

Thanks so much!  I got a giant bin of mixed jaws and faces, try to come up with some good ones!  I'm very happy with how this guy came out.  The grot knight used to be my favorite!  

To fix pigment, there is a few different ways.

1) Most reliable: Pigment fixer.  You can purchase a pigment fixer from Secret weapon, or the company that sold you the pigments (I use SW).

2) Have to get careful: Alcohol.  Touching the pigment with alcohol will lock it into place, just make sure to just allow the capillary action to let the alcohol flow, otherwise the paint will strip!

3) Very unreliable: Using a varnish from a distance.  (Generally just blows the pigments around).

I generally don't fix my pigments. If they wear off, I just add some more pigment later.  These aren't comp pieces, so it doesn't matter if something isn't 100% perfect. I  do them cause I think they look cool as !$&)! on the table :)

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 887 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I've often thought about trying pigments. You and others get frankly amazing results from them. However due to some as-yet-unprobed psychological trauma, I really need to have an end point where I never have to touch them again. I've never heard pigment fixer mentioned before but it sounds worth looking into.
"Parry the 6!"

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

I have the same thing.  This knight is done.  I immediately saw something that needed to be done, nope, done.  I just consider pigments the final step.  Touchups are just something you have to do anyway when you play with models.  Things get chipped/damaged through constant play.  It's why so many magnets are on my stuff!

If you do the pigments, i highly suggest getting the entire pigment pack at once.  You will NEVER need more.

http://www.secretwea...fvtfj7682sd9l87

They really are a godsend with effects and such.  I didn't even think of using them for the glow until this guy.  Now I'm probably going to have some fun adding glow effects to everything, since I can easily adjust and blend it with the pigment. (without worrying about screwing up the model, which is always my biggest handicap).  Like right now, I'm going to have to cut a tank off the gun arm to fit the ammo drum on, and I just can't do it yet....

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Some death skullz grots for you all!

M871vai.jpg

Spoiler

• Boss_Grimdreg, warhead01, Lexington and 3 others like this

Boss_Grimdreg

Boss_Grimdreg

Big Gun Krew

• Boyz
  • 195 posts
  • Army Name:Grimdreg's Goff Orkz
Awesome work on the wee lil blighters Greggles!! The deffskull facepaint even looks good on them! Now you getting me to want to do another unit of them!
  • greggles likes this

Current Project: Ork Slugga Boyz

Recently Completed: Ork Warbugies
Next Up: Ork Lootas & Moar Boyz!
In Da Fewchur: Ork Dakka Jet? Battle Wagon? Nobz Squad? 
Updated: 13-Aug-18 
http://www.dicedevils.com

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Thank you Grimdreg!  I was happy with the face paint.  Came out pretty good for just some blue pigment!

Boss Ardnutz

Boss Ardnutz

Steel Hornz

• Boyz
  • 632 posts
  • Army Name:da Maniakz
Thanks for the pigment tips! Particularly about fixing, that's always been a concern for me since I like to vanish my models fairly heavily to reduce damage from playing. Sounds like I could get away with fixer or alcohol, followed by a careful coat of airbrush varnish?

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Thanks for the pigment tips! Particularly about fixing, that's always been a concern for me since I like to vanish my models fairly heavily to reduce damage from playing. Sounds like I could get away with fixer or alcohol, followed by a careful coat of airbrush varnish?

Would advise a little bit of caution - I have some 'sci-fi' metallic pigments I got from MIG which include a fantastic steel one, wipe it over something worn and it looks superb.

DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR IT WITH VARNISH AFTER YOU'VE APPLIED IT - IT GOES BRIGHT BLUE.

Suggest trying it on something disposable (or, at least re-primable) to make sure that the colour doesn't do anything wierd :bang

• greggles likes this

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Agree with Badfang. Always test first! As I said earlier, I don't generally bother fixing the pigments, as they are beyond a joke to reapply (takes mere seconds).  It's literary like applying makeup to a model.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Got a ton done on the looted knight. Just metal chips and powders to go!

cVGWjdm.jpg

Spoiler

• Lexington, DocNuK, Orkimedez and 3 others like this

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Finally finished Big Blue! 

5K2H8De.jpg

Spoiler

• Lexington, kreell, Badfang Brassaxe and 2 others like this

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Part 2

thLlpKV.jpg

Spoiler

• Lexington, Orkimedez, Badfang Brassaxe and 2 others like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Nice job - particularly liking the cracked white paint effect and the lumpy looking rust :thumbs

Off to throw some more pigments at my dredd now :lol

• greggles likes this

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Thank you thank you! Yesss moar pigments!

4tonmantis

4tonmantis

Dethkopta Pilot

• Deathskullz
  • 1,728 posts
  • Army Name:Freebootaz

Looks good, kinda feels like it needs checks and dags or something to give it more contrast. Impressive build all the same!

• greggles likes this
Originally Posted by Uthan the Perverse in 'Culture vs. Kultur: Thoughts on Orkish Society'
The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst.
Who are we to judge them? We panzee who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn.
And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask.
We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude.

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

I tested a set of white checks on the shoulder, didn't like how it turned out, so scrapped the idea.  I could always redo a shoulder later and try doing the checks earlier in the process so it chips naturally with the rest of the paint.  There is a slew of checks on the gattling gun, but not very obvious, def could use more!!!!  Appreciate the feedback, helps me become a better painter!

greggles

greggles

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,633 posts

Off to Nova Open! Stop by and say hi if you see me!

novacart2_orig.jpg

novacart5_orig.jpg

• Badfang Brassaxe, Giganotosaurus and Tomas Azmond like this