Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to equip Nobs?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

enthused

enthused

Throws the bomb, not the pin.

• Grotz
  • 3 posts
  • Army Name:Unknown

I want to use the models I have so I was wondering how to properly equip a squad Nobs. I currently have two un-built boxes of 5 models (10 models). Any ideas?

Current models in my army

1x warboss

x2 10 man squads of boys

x3 trucks

x1 5man squad of lootas

x1 squad or gretchin

and the 10 un-built nobs

Smurfben

Smurfben

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 62 posts

Personally I would equip them as cheaply as possible. 5 attacks at str 5 on the charge each with WS 5 (waaagh banner) is nothing to be sniffed at. Sadly, nobs become very expensive when you start adding power klaws and frankly then mega nobz become a much better choice. So my personal advice is 'keep um cheap!'

• Gorgrim Skullkrusha likes this

EricBasser

EricBasser

Parasite Huntin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 82 posts
  • Army Name:Burna and Beardy'z Stompiest Show
I'd say try converting 1-2 into a Painboy. Then the rest either keep cheap, or convert to flashgitz.

IronClaw

IronClaw

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 213 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Klaws

MANz. No matter how I try and tweak the regular nobz, I just find that MANz do it better and cheaper, but even then, it's alot about your playstyle. I would advice to try and take the MANz for a spin, either a cheap slingshot combined with loads of fast attack (I  really like this personally), or you could add 5 points, lose the included claw for some more dakka and go with bikes and then add some stuff as needed. I personally believe that nobz is either go hard or go home. If I want them barebones, they are essentially nastier boyz, and if I want that I go flash gitz for the dakka output of a shoota boyz squad.

"Sir, we're surrounded!"
"Excellent, now we can attack in any direction."

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 903 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

I love the nobs and especially the power klaws from the kit.  I would say you should use at least two klaws just for the look and effectiveness.  A big choppa or two is also really good.  Hurling out 4 S7 attacks is nothing to sneeze at.

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts
  • Army Name:Snake Korps

The boyz squada have nobz already?

If not I'd give the a PK nob each.

The reamining 8 nobz I'd build very cheap, 1 PK maximum and choppas/sluggas, but a full big choppa squad would be cool too IMHO.

On eof them could really be a painboy though...it does help a lot.

Personally I field too very good effect a chaep unit of 8: 'eavy armour, one has a PK, bosspole and kombiskorcha while the rest have slugga and choppa. One of the slugga and choppa nobz is the "boss nob" to soak up challenges.

That is a very nasty unit in assault...many many attacks with nice survivability for not much cost.

modelling: my completely completed stuff

gaming: 1850 mech blood axes list updated

fluff: what being blood axes is all about
--------------------
looting other races: tautechmarines (other site thread)

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 903 posts

I don't know.  This idea that nobz are worth fielding without a few power claws makes little sense to me.  They don't don't put out much that a horde of boyz can.  At least with PK they are able to deal with things hordes may struggle against.

Itinerate Ork

Itinerate Ork

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 359 posts

If you have access to small rare earth magnets and a pin drill, you could magnetize some of the models and keep your options open. In a small game, Nobz can be a powerful unit, but at higher point values, you'll face more elite enemies which they may struggle against, so magnets would give you flexibility to re-tool the unit later.

I think the WAAAGH banner is a must in any case - hitting WS4 enemies on 3+ makes the buckets of attacks Nobz have even more effective, especially if have a big squad of them. Plus, it enhances any characters who join the unit too. A boss pole is also a good idea.

Personally, I like a mix of weapons - one PK, one 'uge choppa and basic weapons for the rest. This gives you some high strength and low AP as well as a good volume of attacks to take advantage of WS5 S5 5 attacks on the charge. This gives you an option to assault and destroy medium armor as well as most enemy units.

You don't need too many PKs because you want to be locked in combat on your opponent's turn to avoid getting shot up. Ideally combats should last 2 rounds; the turn you charge and your opponent's to mop up (and set up your next charge!) - if you kill them too fast, your relatively high priced unit will face the wrath of your opponent's guns. If you expect to face some horde type armies (Orks, Astra Militarium, Tyranids) a kombi-skorcha can help thin the enemy ranks to avoid getting bogged down too long.

Using the parts in the kit to build a Painboy is a good idea. I also agree that if you don't already have Nobz for your existing squads, this should be the priority.

boyzbeforetoyz

boyzbeforetoyz

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 26 posts

Morning, For some reason it isn't letting me reply this morning to individual comments. So I'm just going to sum up on what others have said.

If your going to run NOBs, they have to be inside some sort of transport. They cost to much, and are very easily knocked off with S8 and AP ANYTHING. Also, I've found you have to have other units hitting at the same time they do, a trukk boy squad or two. You should be doing this with all ork units anyways.

As for their equipment. 1PK per 5 Nobz with a mandatory Waagh Banner in the squad and these guys belong in a Battle Wagon. You won't need the Waagh Banner if you take a Lucky Stix Warboss which you should........because why would you take anything else.

Painboy. You have to put one with them, otherwise you just spent a lot of points for nothing.

laughterofgods

laughterofgods

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,470 posts

I would also build several of them as generic Nobz w/klaws to use as the Nobz in your units of boyz.  The assault on blackreach guys that are still floating around all lack a Klaw.

• PhillyT likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 903 posts

I have even converted AOBR nobz into flash gitz.

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,860 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)

Regular Nobz do not need to be equuipped any differently that one might have equipped them before.

10 Nobz: 2  x power klaw & slugga, 3 x kombi-skorcha & choppa, 2 x big choppa & slugga, 3 x slugga & choppa; all with 'eavy armor.

While not as well protected as Meganobz, 10 Nobz are much cheaper. They are also not bulky, which allows them to do somethign that Megnobz can not do- ride in a very fast (and cheap) Wartrukk, so they can get where you need them to be very quickly.  Nobz also do not have the Slow and Purposeful rule, which means they can Run, fire Overwatch, and perfom Sweeping Advances.  Being able to perform Sweepings Advances can be very important, Overwatch can be useful (and it is not much worse than regular Ork shooting), but being able to Run is particularly important in regard to the Waaagh! rule.  With such a low Initiative, Orks need all the help they can get to insure that they are ones charging, not the ones being charged.  Add a bare bones Warturkk and you have a fast, mobile, and tooled up unit for about 330 points.  In comparison, a bare bones 10-model unti of Megnobz in a bare bones Battlewagon will run you more than 500 point just to start.  Granted, they ALL have power klaws, but it is a big investment, and puts a lot of your eggs (i.e. points) in one basket. 

And so Nobz are not bad at all.  Do not think that I am panning Meganobz though- they are good too.

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts

^^ minor correction: kombiskorchas should go with the big choppa or PK and leave choppa with slugga to have the +1 attack.

--------------------

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 903 posts

I like 3 PK in my nob squads.  Two just isn't enough for me.

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,062 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

What's recommended for Biker nobs. I can't see putting much on them, with them starting at..something like 45 points each. Just the same loadout's recommended above for foot Nobs? or less gear?

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

PhillyT

PhillyT

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 903 posts

I run more gear.  My 6 man nob squad has 3 PK, 1 BC, waaagh banner, and then I add a pain boy.

Pay cheap doesn't matter if the resulting unit cannot get the job done.  That is my philosophy anyway!

warhead01

warhead01

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,062 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

I have nearly no worth while XP when it comes to Biker Nobs. I see them as supper killy and all that but am horrified at the points cost total. sadly this is leading me to set up a unit and dedicating at least 2 characters to pump them up and keep them alive.

But I get what you mean about not getting the job done.  Makes me miss the PsykoDakka Rule War bikers used to have.

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Dreadnought Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,860 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)

^^ minor correction: kombiskorchas should go with the big choppa or PK and leave choppa with slugga to have the +1 attack.

Prior to 6E I would do the same thing, but with the institution of directional casualty removal, spreading out the wargear is not such a bad idea.  That configuration only loses 2 attacks, so 43 instead of 45 on the charge (33 instead of 35 when not charging).  I would also add a  Waaagh! Banner to one of the basic Nobz if fighitng a WS 4 army.

Zark the Damned

Zark the Damned

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 224 posts
  • Army Name:Waargh Kargrak

Not put together Biker Nobz yet, though my regular 10 strong squad is rocking Eavy Armour, 3 PKs, 3 Big Choppas, a Waargh Banner, and sometimes a Bosspole on the Boss Nob. Occasionally a 4th PK from the Buzzsaw arm. Trying to keep a balance between cheap-ish and killy, though they are usually joined by a Warboss and Doc and mount up on a DT Battlewagon.

det

det

Phobiak

• Blood Axez
  • 2,221 posts

Prior to 6E I would do the same thing, but with the institution of directional casualty removal, spreading out the wargear is not such a bad idea.  That configuration only loses 2 attacks, so 43 instead of 45 on the charge (33 instead of 35 when not charging).  I would also add a  Waaagh! Banner to one of the basic Nobz if fighitng a WS 4 army.

true but in the end I find that it's rather rare to have shots coming from so many directions that this becomes an issue. I just keep the equipped nobz in the centre more or less of the formation...but that could be meta? I don't play that much so could not be well versed in these 7ed aspects.

--------------------