Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AoS 2E rules pamphlet found online.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,365 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

I haven't a clue what's up with this just sharing the link here.

AoS 2E rules

I haven't looked at them yet.

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,088 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

Bleh. This new version is more a step to the left than an improvement. Minor tweaks, some of which are overdue, mostly are insufficient and Priority remains intact with a very paltry compromise. A very disappointing update.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,037 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
It kinda feels more like (as someone who never player or hasn't played AoS) an older version of 40k in terms of hoe they brought it out. Nothing has really been updated but the main rules... do you guys get a new codex or something? The amount of stuff scattered all over for AoS really confuses me I wouldn't even know what I would need to start the game never mind the models.

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,365 posts

It kinda feels more like (as someone who never player or hasn't played AoS) an older version of 40k in terms of hoe they brought it out. Nothing has really been updated but the main rules... do you guys get a new codex or something? The amount of stuff scattered all over for AoS really confuses me I wouldn't even know what I would need to start the game never mind the models.

I don't know yet but it looks like they were trying to "clean up" some rules make just a few changes based on the..?2 years? of feed back and add a bit to spice things up. I was wondering it this new edition means new army books or not but I've seen no mention of them yet. I may have read they once again updated points costs to fit the new rules but I haven't looked into that at all. My last game was close to this time last year? or very early this year? I can't remember it's been so long ago now.  
What do you need to play? Well, if they are keeping the existing books then you need the new rules, which ever book covers the faction you want to play and probably optional the newest Generals Hand book for the most up to date points changes, if any apply to your faction and or how you are playing.

(Matched Play or Open War. )
It's not as much as it sounds really if the other player has the current GHB then that should cover that. Even still it's floating around the internet as a pdf doc. And you could print the few relevant pages and just stick them in your army book. 
Oh, and there's that Magic expansion that's got all the flashy models in it... I will be buying that for AoS but also to gift to my Brother in a few years for his D&D games. Very flashy, very cool! 

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,365 posts

I gave this more thought and for my own situation I decided all I needed to buy was the new GHB. I already have my army book and still have not seen anything about needing a new one. The rules are free and I will see about getting them printed on nice stock. I ordered the fanycy edition GHB because it comes withthe extra stuff, cards tokens and stuff, which looked reasonable for the price. 
The most challenging thing will be finding time to get out for a game.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,088 posts
I didn't regret the previous fancy general's handbook. The nick nacs you get are useful. I ordered basically everything. Despite my misgivings of the rules (priority is fucking awful) the toys and minis are stupidly good.
  • warhead01 likes this

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,365 posts

I was going to get the Magic stuff too but I'm on a budget right now.  I'd live to get the rule book just for all the fluff in there I am not up on the AoS fluff at all.  

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,088 posts

The AoS fluff is written appallingly badly. Malign Portents especially. They try very hard to appear more sophisticated as writers than they are. Reading Idoneth Deepkin made me wretch. I would not be surprised if that book was written by Ward.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,037 posts
Right now for £70 you can get the new box set on some websites! £70 for like 50+ models and the rule book is awesome! In addition, you can probably sell half the models for about £30-40 which could give you a great start on the table! I will not deny this is a pretty cheap and good box set.

My girlfriend (who does business for a living) was actually telling me why GW has pushed out so many box sets for great prices. Basically, GW can't adjust prices, the board won't let them. So what they do is get those old models and shove them in a box and then make the box cheaper than the orginal models. They make more money buy selling lots of stuff for cheaper.

It comes down to two facts she told me. The first is that GW is a monopoly of a none essential good. Basically, it doesn't matter if they own the model Market this doesn't ensure success because nerds can happily spend their money else where like movies, games, card games, etc. Obviously, what my GF thinks happened, is GW screwed themselves sideways by boosting prices and treating customers the way they did... some idiot in their company must have thought they could do anything because they're a monopoly but they're a monopoly in plsstic figures.. it's like saying you own all the world's dust so you can charge what you want. However, a water company, for example, is an essential good. Basically, if you own a monopoly on water in a country you can do what ever you want, you can charge a fortune, advertise you customers are worthless squigs and hit people as they buy the water. But because water is essential to life and you're the only one with it they have no choice but to do what you want. Now, gw believed they could do this, found out they couldn't and are in full panic mode over the last few yesrs to get back the customers.

The second fact is the scale of production. I'm not sure of this myself but she told me that there are two costs when it comes to production. Fixed cost (items that either you pay for once or pay an exsact amount every time for) and variable costs (items that change a lot in price depending on how much you need). Now, due to the nature of GW's production, GW only has one type variable costs and that's plastic, resin, metal and fine cast (all super cheap at the scale gw buys it for) but they have a hell of a lot of fixed costs. Their machines and molds, for example, are a fixed cost. They paid for it once and so never have to pay for it again. Employees also come under this, it doesn't matter how hard they work employees they're still paying them the same.
So, because the majority of costs from GW are fixed costs they actually make more money by making more models even if they do not sell.
For example, they bought one machine and one mold. It costs them £1,000,000 to buy the machine and make the mold. They bought a lump sum of plastic for £100,000 to get the great deal and now start production. They make 10 large model sprues and that's it... They close production and throw the mold away... now they're left with 10 models and a lot of wasted plastic. Therefore, to just break even they have to sell those models for £110,000 each, which nobody would even think of buying.
However, GW does the same thing but this time they use all the plastic and make 2,000,000 models sprues out of the plastic. Now to break even they only have to sell the model sprues for £0.55p each! Now, obviously, they wouldn't sell them for so cheap but let's say they sold them for £20 each (which would give them a 363% profit) they don't even have to sell all the models to break even and people are very much likely to buy the same model for £20 than they are £100,000. In fact, they only need to sell 55,000 out of the 2,000,000 models to start making a profit! The rest can stay in storage and make them more money over time.
And because they already paid for the machines and molds and never have to pay again for them they can keep pumping out models which, in turn, means they can lower the price. And this is what they do with the box sets. They make things people actually want to buy (it helps that the exsact same model is more expensive if you buy it separately) and it doesn't matter how much they shove into the box it won't cost them any more or less because they need to use up the materials anyway and they do not need to pay any more for machines. It makes more profit to sell a a million box sets with a giant dino in for £50 than to sell that giant dino for £50 by itself.

It's a very simplistic version of the process but by girlfriend ensured me this is how it works and this is what is happening. There are also other marketing techniques at play such as GW showing you two boxes full of the same models.... One contains 10 and the other contains 20 and they charge you the same price and you think the 20 model options is a bargain so you buy two when it didn't cost gw anymore to kake but we won't go too much into that.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,037 posts
My girlfriend is getting upset nobody has replied yet. She's made me post this on several forums and nobody seems to have an opinion. XD
  • Garslag likes this

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 888 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Lol. That's really out of my field of expertise! Now if you want to talk about the logistics chain that gets the goods to store I can maybe weigh in...
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,260 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Well, I'm stuck dealing with my experience from a business game I took part in at school (one of the ones that was later developed into D'n'D) and, from memory, fixed costs 'F' were set-up and (in this case) moulds, machinery and building/buying suitable premises.

Ongoing costs 'O' were building rates & maintenance, staff, materials, distribution (including storage) and advertising (WD counts as advertising - presumably profitable in itself), doubt GW are doing much on market research.

Masters are going to cost 'A', moulds are going to cost 'B', production is going to cost 'C' per ('n' products), profit is 'P'.

P is dependant on (F, A, B & C plus O) being exceeded by revenue generated by sales. The cost of F, A & B are one-offs and can be recovered by selling 'n' products but, because of O, products still need to be sold to cover the ongoing costs so there never comes a time when you can say 'The moulds have paid for themselves so we can all put our feet up'.

Is she 'appy now :?

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,088 posts

Well yeah it makes sense. I'd already noticed, but it's nice to see people who studies business confirm it.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,260 posts

Don't know that I could honestly claim to have studied business - I don't remember much of the course after I'd broken the game by causing all the 'workers' on the other teams to go on strike in the penultimate turn by ludicrously overpaying our workforce leaving us as the only ones (apart from a couple of back markers) still producing stuff - can remember the teacher giving us a really dirty look as he handed out the results :lol

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,037 posts

Well, I'm stuck dealing with my experience from a business game I took part in at school (one of the ones that was later developed into D'n'D) and, from memory, fixed costs 'F' were set-up and (in this case) moulds, machinery and building/buying suitable premises.
Ongoing costs 'O' were building rates & maintenance, staff, materials, distribution (including storage) and advertising (WD counts as advertising - presumably profitable in itself), doubt GW are doing much on market research.
Masters are going to cost 'A', moulds are going to cost 'B', production is going to cost 'C' per ('n' products), profit is 'P'.

P is dependant on (F, A, B & C plus O) being exceeded by revenue generated by sales. The cost of F, A & B are one-offs and can be recovered by selling 'n' products but, because of O, products still need to be sold to cover the ongoing costs so there never comes a time when you can say 'The moulds have paid for themselves so we can all put our feet up'.

Is she 'appy now :?

I would say that "the company would put thier feet up" when they keep selling products and meet the break-even point when the cost equal the revenue. From that point onward the more product the company sell, the more profit thay will have. Technically, I would say when the company already gain enough to cover all the fixed costs they spend in the beginning. The selling price includes three main components: the fixed cost +the variable cost + the profit. In the beginning, the fixed cost and he profit component is use to recover all the fixed cost as soon as possible. Therefore, when the company meets the break-even point, the fixed cost in the seeling price will turn into profit as well. The variable cost always exists no matter how many products you produce, but it will always be cover in the selling price as well. Therefore, when the company at tge break-even point, they will not have to pay attention on trying to sell for profit because basically, they still earn profit if they only sell one product.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,037 posts
Btw, i didn't write that. That was 100% all types by my girlfriend.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,260 posts

I would say that "the company would put thier feet up" when they keep selling products and meet the break-even point when the cost equal the revenue. From that point onward the more product the company sell, the more profit thay will have. Technically, I would say when the company already gain enough to cover all the fixed costs they spend in the beginning. The selling price includes three main components: the fixed cost +the variable cost + the profit. In the beginning, the fixed cost and he profit component is use to recover all the fixed cost as soon as possible. Therefore, when the company meets the break-even point, the fixed cost in the seeling price will turn into profit as well. The variable cost always exists no matter how many products you produce, but it will always be cover in the selling price as well. Therefore, when the company at tge break-even point, they will not have to pay attention on trying to sell for profit because basically, they still earn profit if they only sell one product.

'I would say that "the company would put thier feet up" when they keep selling products and meet the break-even point when the cost equal the revenue.'

Part of the problem I have with that statement is what do you mean by cost? Moulds will probably be rated at 'n' thousand/million/whatever cycles - they do wear out and will need replacing when they do. The appropriate percentage of this cost would normally be included in the unit price of the product and it's unlikely to be much.

' From that point onward the more product the company sell, the more profit thay will have. Technically, I would say when the company already gain enough to cover all the fixed costs they spend in the beginning'

Don't have enough information about what exactly GWs' fixed costs are - do they own their main building or any of their shops, or are they all leased? Have they bought the casting/moulding machinery or is that leased too? Even if they do own their main building, it's unlikely that they own their shops, and all of their buildings will be rated by the relevant councils as commercial premises and have to pay appropriate rates per annum.

'In the beginning, the fixed cost and he profit component is use to recover all the fixed cost as soon as possible.'

It's one business model, see above for alternatives.

'Therefore, when the company at tge break-even point, they will not have to pay attention on trying to sell for profit because basically, they still earn profit if they only sell one product.'

Their overhead costs of business rates, wage bill and rent bills won't be covered by selling a single model on its' own.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,037 posts
She said something sbout she's right in theory and you're right in reality, then said something about it being complicated and then walked off saying forums are a waste of her time.
  • Badfang Brassaxe and Garslag like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,260 posts

Theory often fails to survive contact with reality ;)

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 888 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
LOL!
"Parry the 6!"