Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stable Pix Blog?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Made a start on the lower armour and started arming it

lower_armour_by_badfang-dbqo1w7.jpg

I said earlier that I'd got a left arm and a left gun in my skrap haul, no prizes for guessing who forgot he'd modelled a 360o slew in the elbow and a 360o rotator in the forearm :bang

Still, it'll come as a nasty surprise to any git who tries to sneak up from behind :lol

• DocNuK, Zagursnik and Giganotosaurus like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 482 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

"...no prizes for guessing who forgot he'd modelled a 360 slew in the elbow and a 360 rotator in the forearm :bang " In the U.S., we have an instructional artist who appears on the PBS (Public Broadcasting television) station. He is (was actually, he is deceased but appears in reruns) a rather eccentric/unique individual, who is often made fun of. One of his go to phrases is; "We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents."  :) You just had a happy accident. :yes I am still curious as to how the completed upper torso will look. Looking good! :thumbs

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

Cheers Giga, not sure about looking good :sowhat

30_hedzup_by_badfang-dbqw3ab.jpg

The head's smaller than I wanted it, unfortunately the klaw arm shoulder bracket is seriously limiting the amount of space behind it, I'll try making a head with a longer front tonight and see how that looks - it won't be any problem to change the heads over 'coz I had one of those 'happy accidents' when I was wondering how to attach the head to the upper hull plate. The plastic jar by its' feet is one of a batch I bought for mixing paint in and it's just the right size for a slew bearing, cut a hole in the hull plate big enough to take the neck of the jar, cut the bottom of the jar off, poked it down through the top of the plate, a bit of superglue on the threads of the lid and screwed it on, turns smooth as you like :thumbs

Started on the back too and had ages of fun arranging stuff so that nothing jammed on anything else, all seems to work ok now so a couple of exhausts for the turbines, an air intake up at the front of the shoulder, four rokkits, a flamer and a thumb for his klaw, then a bit of finishing off.....then I can start on the other one with a better idea of how not to do it :lol

Edit - the wire on the bigshootaz is just holding the barrels level - the guns are back-end heavy and will be getting some hydrolix to keep 'em pointing in the right direction  :biggrin

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 482 posts

The design is constrained by the requirement to carry boyz into battle. That makes the lower half overly large, giving it a portly appearance. I agree with you, the head needs to be bigger, and more specifically taller. The guns on the front of the head need to move down, and/or to the rear, or somewhere else altogether. Combat wise, they are probably in the best spot, but right now they look like antlers. The upper torso as a whole, needs more height to offset the lower half's girth imho. Or, you could go in the complete opposite direction. I'm thinking along the lines of Puppetswar's Kevin the Walking Jaw Battlewalker. All of this is coming off as being really harsh, and I'm not meaning it to (why don't we have a sorry emoji?). Building a better Go/morkanaut is a very tall task. Not because of GW's go/mo  ( :puke), but because of the walker's requirements. You have obviously been thinking a long time about building  a better gomo, and I really like your concept sketch. Having looked at the sketch again, the upper torso is taller, and the "head shootas" are on the side of the head. I think you are onto something with your concept. Keep at it, you're a damn good a mek, and I am sure you'll work it all out. :yes

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

Thanks Giga - they were always going to be a bit bigger than the stock GW ones 'coz of the dropdeck but I was trying to keep it roughly the same 'box' size. The rules that I use for transports is that the bases must fit in the available space, so if it's transport 12 then it needs 12 square inches of floor space and needs to be tall enough for the occupants to stand up in (hence the 25mm bases on the BB nobz). The big problem with what I've got is that top shoulder support bracket right in the middle of the top where the head should be (or at least the back of it should), which was caused by recycling the harriork arm. I'd thought the support strut would look good if it was built up to look like a sort of heavy duty scaffold, it kind of had to go where it did 'coz I wanted to use that bit of dakkajet (also off the harriork) but I hadn't got round to thinking 'where am I going to put the head?' :bang

The Mk 2 will be a bit more similar to the original sketch 'coz I'll only be using bespoke kustom built bitz on it, still I've started a Mk 1.5 head which will hopefully be able to mount the shootaz lower down (they had to go that high on the Mk 1 head 'coz of dat zoggin scaffold interfering with the head rotation) and I should be able to get it fitted tomorrow (have to get a 'fingers crossed' to go with your 'sorry' emoji).

Yeah, and don't worry about comments and criticism sounding negative - if I make a balls-up anywhere I'd much rather have it pointed out than a load of 'coo-wow' (though coo-wow's always appreciated if I get something right :lol )

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

Got the head re-done, took a while 'coz I don't think I used enough hardener when I mixed the supporting Milliput and it took most of the day to go off. Seems stiff enough now so I was able to skim most of the tinplate without having to worry about the head ending up cockeyed.31_hedzup_2_by_badfang-dbr39p8.jpg

Got a bit more done on the back and the klaw, should be able to think about paint soon :biggrin

• Zagursnik and Giganotosaurus like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

And it's thereabouts ready for paint - only forgotten the burna and deck latch :blush

32_reddy_steddy_rust_by_badfang-dbrlvwc.

Gonna have to slap some bloo on quick like, I want to try it out this weekend :dakka

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 482 posts

Like the new head. Gubbinz & paint always work wonders. :yes Hopefully Smoggy's little friend has a stompin' good time! :stomphq:

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 1,009 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
He reminds me a little of this guy:

https://encrypted-tb...x3H1se7oniTbiVw

But maybe ten or twenty times more killy.
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

Cheers (I think) Garslag but when I clicked your linky I just got a black window - don't know if it's anything to do with the word 'encrypted' in the title :?

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 1,009 posts
It was just a link from a Google Image search, I'm surprised it wouldn't work. The pic was Tik Tok from the Oz series - it's the shape of that rounded body.
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

This one?

tik_tok_by_ianjmiller-d8t4on1.jpg

I think mine probably wouldn't be that polite :cheers

Edit - and talking of politeness, sorry about missing your post Giga, hopefully Stinky* will get on fine with Smoggy :love

* Was wondering earlier today what the nobz would be getting up to whilst they were crammed into the hold like commuters in an elevator - inevitably one of them would fart, only for another to ask 'Ooo woz dat fartin like a grot' only for another to say 'Dis iz wot a proppa fart sounds like' and so on - I suspect when the deck does drop, anyone near it without breathing equipment will probably in deep wossname :lol

• Garslag likes this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 482 posts

Hard to tell what orks will do to pass the time while "Stinky" gets gassed up. :blush Might your Deffskulz be bloo from holding their breath?  :? Hopefully there is no cemetery terrain, the fetid emanations are certain to wake the dead. Nobz should know how to control themselves; they do not want to be completely exhausted before joining battle. :nono Speaking of exhausted, I have exhausted my quota of puns for the day. :yes Have fun this weekend, I await DJ's video, hopefully in a more timely fashion. :thumbs

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 482 posts

What's the point cost of a flatulence attack in the 8th edition? :?

Had to get one more in. :biggrin

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

Probably through the roof if the rest of 8th is anything to go by - which is likely where the nobz'll end up if the burna kicks in as the deck drops :lol

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 482 posts

Did/do you get the "Mythbusters" television program on your side of the pond? :? There was an episode where they closed off the outlet of a hot water heater, and let it over pressurize ( https://youtu.be/28ixJLtQBCc ).  :thumbs Through the roof and beyond!   :cheers

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

Cheers for the linky, we maybe get it on some channel or other 'though I've only ever seen them on yootoob, funnily enough a chap on Deviant Art asked if Stinky had an effin' jet pack when he saw the pic with the turbine exhausts fitted - should have replied 'No, that'll be the nobz arses.'  :/

Garslag

Garslag

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 1,009 posts

I was thinking more of the movie version of that guy, but for reasons unknown I cannot post his picture.  Had I drunk but one beer less I would have tried and tried anew until I met with success, but alas, 'twas not to be.

In any case, I admit, they are not exactly twins separated at birth.  Stinky particularly has spent more time at the gym lifting weights than has his cousin Tik Tok.  Or maybe it's just that big SOB klaw that makes it look that way....  In any case it's the rotund Transport area that made the comparison irresistable to me.  Speaking as one of the few who actually really like the official GMnaut model, Stinky is gonna do just fine, but I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what Stinky Mk II looks like.  As Giga commented, the concept sketch is zoggin badass and if you can pull off something like that....  :love :love

I can see why that guy would think Jetpack actually.  But I think he was optomistic to think a couple little exhausts like that could provide enuff thrust to lift a big bad zogger like this off the ground!

"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,386 posts

Cheers Garslag, I got stinky painted up to this state for his debut at the WaaaghMeet

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

Like all noobs he was the first (and only one) of my Magnificent Four to die (together with the majority of my DeffSkullz BloodBowl nobz) but they went down swinging which is as much as you can ask off anything, probably do better with a finished paint job :dakka

• Big Mek GobSmasha and Giganotosaurus like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 482 posts

I think you once said that your new shinies tend not to fair well the first time out. :? Hopefully the rest of the Four Orksmen of the Apocalypse avenged "Stinky's" demise.