Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stable Pix Blog?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Cheers for the response Giga and apologies for the delay in answering - been trying to get stuff worth posting done but mainly making virtually no progress but a lot of scrap :bang (don't think mega armour was designed for sitting down in, or for riding warbikes >: ).

P.S. A Warlord Titan banner would easily make the "ridiculously oversized" classification.  ;)

Hur hur - I fink FW sells titan bits :D

Started work on the two twin rokkit launcha turrets for my skull'amma

IMG_2076.jpg

L-R Radius arm for one side of the 'ball' turret (other arm's already fitted to the uppy/downy bit that the 'gunner' sits in), next to that is the assembled part Milliputted ball turret - the brass rod is there to make sure that the Milliput bosses have holes through them that line up correctly, once both sides have been done the rod will be replaced by two smaller rods so as the gunner can sit in the middle. Then there's the part 'putted 'turret' that will have the ball turret rotating 'up' and 'down' in it (again the rod through the middle will be replaced by two shorter bits) and at far right there's the bits of the turret part assembled hopefully showing the bits that have gone into them. 

I've used tinplate 'coz it's what I've got - it can all be duplicated in plasticard if blocks of sprue are used to reinforce the glued edges and the 'ball' turret is pretty much the same thing as a gun mantlet ('cept bigga, wiv an ork in it :lol ).

In other news

IMG_2079.jpg

I've redesigned the new spare trukk engine a bit so it's about Wazzy sized and rooted out a back 'wheel' for it and I'm mostly done with Wazzy's mega armour - see if I can get stuff worth photo-ing tomorrow :cheers

• kreell and Giganotosaurus like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 459 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

I looked at all the tin & Milliput, read the paragraph, and thought?  :?  Went out to work in my much too large garden, and came back to reread your thread. It took me a moment, but then I figured out how it all went together. Duh!, the big rod was throwing me off.  :blush  Should work well, I hope the conical towers will fit (where's that fingers crossed emoji?). Years ago, I took a tour of the Garber Restoration facility. They restore all the planes for the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum there. The tour guide took us by a ball turret on display, and remarked that WWII ball turret gunners were the smallest men in their squadrons. Ball turrets also retracted up into the bomber for landing (at least they did on U.S. bombers). I like your Orky version better than a weedy 'oomie one.

I like the trukk engine, it looks like something that will make some serious power.  :love As much as I like the GW trukk kit, I have always thought that the engine could use a little help. The rear trakk drive is a piece of art, well done!!  :thumbs  :thumbs Wazdakka should be racing around the battlefield in style.  :yes

"Hur hur - I fink FW sells titan bits  :D " They do, and they sell transfer sheets. The sheet entitled 'Titan Transfer Sheet' is the one I believe you will want. Alternatively, appropriate images are floating around the internet, just waiting to be downloaded.  ;)

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 886 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
This is gonna be great. First I note with enthusiasm that it's gonna be real Wazdakka you're building (i.e. before Chambers stripped him of his mega armour), and then DAT ENGINE! This Wazdakka will make Jazgob and Zhadsnark look like grots riding tricycles... which is just the way it should be :)
  • Badfang Brassaxe and Giganotosaurus like this
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

see if I can get stuff worth photo-ing tomorrow :cheers

:rolleyes

Thanks guys, found the zappgun that came with the battlewaggon I got and had a bit of a play with the gunshield

zappgun.jpg

the turrets worked for a given value of 'worked'

IMG_2092.jpg

Yeah Giga, even the orks in these ball turrets needed cutting down a bit but the turrets are going in the big holes each side of the drivers' cab

IMG_2090.jpg

and it's a sufficiently big wagon that any ork's going to look small anywhere near it :D

IMG_2095.jpg

Well, most orks :lol

• Penelope the Wonder Pony, warhead01, kreell and 1 other like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 459 posts

The Skullnamma front end is filling in; the hydraulics, and the driver's cupola really help to bulk up the battlefortress' front, the turret towers ought to finish the job.  :yes  Are you planning on some exhaust megaphones for Wazdakka?  :?  They would help finish the powerplant, and fill in the area over the track drive. Something like the Honda 250 & 350 cc, 6 cylinder, Grand Prix bikes of the mid to late 60's, but more exaggerated ( <http://www.motorcycl...sixcylinder.htm> ).  :thumbs

P.S. you're right, mega armor is not designed for sitting.  ;)

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

Cheers Giga, been busy doing rubbish so it's taken a while to get anything 'worth' putting up (cheers for the Honda linky - had been thinking about reverse cone megas, depends how much room I get left with :thumbs ).

Did a bit of mucking about with guns -

Lil_red_turry.jpg

External mantlet restricts the amount of elevation/depression, big nosed turret would restrict slew in a tight space.

lil_black_turry.jpg

Internal mantlet gives max elevation/depression limited by the amount of space available above and below at the breech end and the size of the barrel, slew is limited by wall placement - too far forward and the barrel gets stopped one end and the breech gets blocked at the other. (Originally wrote more than this about it but my computer decided to interpret me accidentally catching my hand on the touchpad as 'open Pinterest and dump everything I'd just written'  >: )

In other news the big red thing is bigger and redder

Red_SkullAmma.jpg

Hadn't enough height to do the turret roofs like the old epic one - did what I could to suggest them. Still need the bonnet sides, back door/ramp, exhausts, internal bulkheads.....Are we there yet? :lol

And while I'd got a palette covered in red paint

red_trukk.jpg

And I finally got a halfway decent head for Wazzy sculpted - stuck my mega armoured AoBR warboss in the pik as a Barry

Wazzy_n_Skulk.jpg

So, I aintn't ded yet.

• warhead01 and Giganotosaurus like this

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 886 posts
Is that the battle kannon in front of the handlebars? You might wanna reinforce it so it doesn't rip it's mounting off when it fires.
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

It's an FW killkannon - I had a look at the supakannon and killkannon in the cabinets at FW, the supakannon was stoopid long and the shells that the grots had got for it were the same size for both, and the kk had a better selection of grots (who I really want to be crawling all over the bike). If I can figure out a way to modify the breech then I should be able to knock up some proppa-rer ammo for it, in which case it may have to move forwards and that'll require extra bracing anyway although it is bolted to the engine block same as everything else on the bike is ('cept the flakkagunz).

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 459 posts

"the supakannon was stoopid long and the shells that the grots had got for it were the same size for both" The A-10 Warthog/Thunderbolt II was designed around the GAU-8 Avenger cannon. Hmmm, a warbike designed around a supakannon, what an interesting concept. Someone may have to devote some time to creating such a thing.  :D

Liking the progress on the bigger, and redder, big red thing.  :thumbs

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

Cheers Giga, think the big thing is red enuff for now

Sull_Amma_11_basecoat.jpg

Just about done with the mekking part now and I could really do with having my wet palette not covered in red any more >:

• kreell and Giganotosaurus like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

Finally got my trukk to a state of reddyness I can put up with

redtrukkloaded.jpg

It'll stand nine of my burnaboyz in it - they're a bit smaller than my BloodAxe burnaboyz so I was hoping to be able to get ten in but they ain't smaller enough :bang

redtrukkdeployed.jpg

Colours aren't quite how I wanted them (don't know if they haven't frosted again) - have to see how the rest come out, oh, and make a tailgate for my Skull'Amma :blush

• warhead01, kreell and Snarknit Grokguzz like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

So, I've put my name down for a Kill Team mob, looking at the points I should be able to get 8 kommandoes (2 with burnaz), 4 grots and one kommando nob with a kombiskorcha, got this far with 'em as yet

IMG_2139.jpg

Hopefully the green plakky bits from the KT burnaz set will do for a time stamp, the grots are FW (one's had his mallet converted into a sniper rifle and the komms grot's had his upper left arm replaced so that his lower arm is forwards instead of up and a grot blasta 'putted into his hand). Nearly halfway there :biggrin

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

Got the first lot finished enough for primer and the second lot thereabouts 

Kommandoes_2.jpg

There's one or two bits will need a bit more Milliput on the first lot and very likely will be some more on the second lot. Found enough bits to be able to start on the nob, aaand I still need to scratch build a couple more grots - probly have to use GS on them coz they're too weedy for Milliput :sowhat

• Garslag likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

Still struggling a bit with motivation but I've managed to get a nob sorted and all the ones I've done ready for primer

Kil_Team_2_grots_short.jpg

Two more grots to go :scowl

• warhead01, kreell, Giganotosaurus and 1 other like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 459 posts

Dat's a dedd 'ard squad o' kommandos Badfang!  :thumbs I was not sure how they were going to turn out while just in the milliput stage. Now that they have some color on them, they look great. I think you have captured the look of the older (series 2?) metal kommandos while using the modern figures.  :yes  

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

Cheers Giga, I can remember 'putting up an RT era plastic ork to match the pre-release drawing they printed in WD just prior to putting them on sale and was really disappointed with how tiny the original metal ones were - ended up doing a whole mob of them out of plastics and these have been built up loosely based on them, so sort of 2nd Ed-ish :lol

Aaaand that's just reminded me that I've forgotten to give them climbing ropes and grappling hooks >: Now I'll have to try and find my heavy duty thread that I haven't seen for years :bang

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 459 posts

"Now I'll have to try and find my heavy duty thread that I haven't seen for years  :bang " And you won't find it until after the purchase of a new spool of heavy duty thread.  :scowl  At least that's how it always works for me.  :yes

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

Finished me kommando kill team

IMG_2190.jpg

Won a dredd with 'em so I thought I'd better get this one I started ages ago finished off too

IMG_2183.jpg

After a few discussions with Greggles and Giga concerning rust and colours, and a few hours spent gawping at pictures on Pinterest, I've come to the conclusion that the only way rust looks proppa with bloo is if the bloo has a greenish tint. So I've given it a very thin green/brown/ochre acrylic wash and I think if I use a light rust pigment, varnish it, medium rust, varnish it then dark rust and varnish that then it might come out OK :?

• warhead01, kreell, Giganotosaurus and 1 other like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,259 posts

Done a bit of pigmenting on my dredd starting with light rust, varnish (GWs' Purity Seal), medium rust, varnish, old rust, varnish

IMG_2198.jpg

The idea of the varnish after each layer is to try and keep the pigments from blending into each other - looks like they're either fading into the paint or being blown off by the aerosol, experiments continue.

Got me SkullAmma moving again

IMG_2195.jpg

Got its' back ramp fitted (tho not the hydrollix yet) and it's not quite as red any more.

Now, 'oo wants a game of Speed Freeks :biggrin

• warhead01, DocNuK, kreell and 1 other like this

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 886 posts
Old skool Evil Sunz logo is awesome. Flames and checks - awesome. It's not my favourite build of yours but it certainly is distinctive. And the red paint job really pulled it together much better than I was expecting.

Does the deth dread have reinforced arms, is that what's I'm seeing here?

Now where's the pix of Wazdakka?
"Parry the 6!"