Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Loot all the things!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
  • Army Name:Brain Boyz
Hello! I figured I should start posting here for real. Just going to start off by copying and pasting from my log over at the BnC. I go by a different name over there but I know a few folks frequent both, so maybe someone's already seen it, who knows.

Decided to start an ork plog maybe. I am extremely slow and don't have much time to work on models, but this helped me focus on my DA last summer, so maybe it'll work for these boys!

Starting on a wraith lord. You don't see a lot of these looted and I've had a clear image in my brain of what I wanted to do, so figured I'd dive right in. The main challenge is that these things are super weedy for a dread, the torso is at best nob sized, so it needs some bulking up to make it proppa stompy. Not shown: torso is cut in half so I can make it bigger.
gallery_47416_13367_28960.jpg
Still have to add some teef to the gob, detail out the optic sensor, and add an armor plate to the opposite side.

An update! Like I said, I'm slow. Did a little work on the head, but most of the progress is blocking in the expansion of the torso. I'm not entirely happy with it, but that thing starts off super tiny. I had to make sure that there was a compartment somewhere that you could concievably stuff a boy into, hence the "backpack" that it's got. There's going to be an engine underneath the pilot compartment, with exhaust pipes going up the left side, splitting apart so that they mirror the shoulder spines on the original model. Lots of detailing to go on the torso, but after that, on to the legs.

med_gallery_47416_13367_294060.jpg

med_gallery_47416_13367_15203.jpg

When looting things I try to keep in mind 1) how the orks got ahold of it to begin with and 2) what they would have to do to be able to use it. In this case in my brain I'm seeing a barrage of rokkits hitting this thing from the left side to take it out, so more of the repairs and "upgrades" are going to focus on that side. I also don't see the orks being able to figure out how to interface with the wraithbone, so there'll be pistons on all the limbs to move them manually, so I had to make sure there was a pilot in there somewhere.

• Badfang Brassaxe, Gitgrod and Giganotosaurus like this

armored walker

armored walker

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 430 posts

This is very interesting, you don't see much looted panzee things around here. I like the way you're thinking about the build through a story background, not just slapping armor plates around. It's hard to say anything constructive at this early stage, but looks good so far.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this
Armored walkers are Slow and Purposefull.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,626 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

As AW says above, anything that gets away from 'it werks 'coz da boyz want it to' or 'believe it will' usually makes for a more credible build. Good luck with it :thumbs

• Gun_wun likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 580 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

I also don't see the orks being able to figure out how to interface with the wraithbone, so there'll be pistons on all the limbs to move them manually, so I had to make sure there was a pilot in there somewhere.

I like this. 

The biggest challenge will probably be to beef it up with armour and whatnot to make it believably an ork vehicle, while still being visibly a looted WL. 

Death Skullz?

EDIT:  What Badfang said!

"Parry the 6!"

Gitgrod

Gitgrod

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 38 posts
  • Army Name:Genral Gitgrods Blitzbrigade

Looking good so far!  If you're struggling to make room for a pilot, don't forget it doesn't have to be a whole ork driving it.  The painboy might've had to make some 'adjustments' to cram the pilot in.  Don't need dem legs when you're attached to some big stompy gubbins.  

• Garslag likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 580 posts

Looking good so far!  If you're struggling to make room for a pilot, don't forget it doesn't have to be a whole ork driving it.  The painboy might've had to make some 'adjustments' to cram the pilot in.  Don't need dem legs when you're attached to some big stompy gubbins.  

And judging from Gitgrod's old-skool profile pic he won't need reminding that in the good ole days Dreads used to be driven by grots....

• Gitgrod likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Gitgrod

Gitgrod

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 38 posts
  • Army Name:Genral Gitgrods Blitzbrigade

Indeed! and komfort wasnt high on the list of priorities during design:

wd099p15rt204orkdreadnoughtx-01.jpg

• Garslag likes this

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
I vaguely remember something like that, but I'm not gonna lie, I've mostly played Deathwing since AoD, the orks only started happening once Black Reach dropped. Regardless, the compartment is big enough to fit an ork in now, but just barely.

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 462 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

I have the pieces of an old lead wraithlord, ready to make into a warboss on bike. The head is the front cowling, the arms hold the front wheel, and the legs are the seat and back wheel holder.

• Gitgrod likes this

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
That sounds like a pretty rad conversion and a lot more creative than turning it into a deff dread.

Not dead! Got a chance to detail the torso a bit which hopefully illustrates what I was talking about with the exhaust pipes. Still need to add some greenstuff welds at a lot of joins between pieces of plastic but it doesn't require quite as much imagination now.

med_gallery_47416_13367_67585.jpg
  • Garslag and Gitgrod like this

Garslag

Garslag

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 580 posts

Loving the "symmetry" of exhaust pipes mirroring the fancy panzee pits on the other side. :yes

"Parry the 6!"

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
Had opportunity to work on him a little, but not really happy with it. I think the concept there is fine but the execution is a little weedy, not nearly stompy enough, considering taking it off and starting the leg over, doing something blockier. I dunno.

med_gallery_47416_13367_70931.jpg

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 203 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

I like the thought that you have put into this. I take it that one side is to be mostly panzee, and the other side an ork mirror copy. The leg will be difficult. On one hand it needs to look orky, on the other it needs to follow the lines of the panzee leg without being too robust. That is a very fine line to walk. I think the leg flows well, but needs some extra bulk (armor plating, wires, more hydraulics, etc.). Irondog (google: irondog studios) made a looted Gundam. Seeing what he did with the Gundam might be of some help. I really like how this project is going together. I wasn't too keen on the "cockpit" at first, but now that it's together, it looks great. :yes Well done & good luck!! :thumbs

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
Thanks! That's the idea there, even the panzee bits are almost being used more as a spiece of panzee dungon to build around for the most part. Very little will remain unmodified though one side is going to have a lot more scratch building for sure.

Anyways, I pulled off the leg since it just wasn't feeling proppa stompy enough and had a go at a less weedy one. I'm liking the new one way better.

med_gallery_47416_13367_299998.jpg

med_gallery_47416_13367_379274.jpg

I have to beef up the panzee leg next, and figure out what I'm doing exactly with the torso armor. My other dilemma is that I think I lost the head, and I have my doubts that anyone around here has a spare wraithlord head...
  • Itinerate Ork and Giganotosaurus like this

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
As I ponder how to do the torso armor and investigate the mystery of the missing head, I decided to go ahead and work on a regular boy. Orks are great, but blackreach boyz are very static in repetition, and I've always hated the "look at my booty" stance that GW orks are always in, so something had to change.

med_gallery_47416_13367_1144947.jpg

med_gallery_47416_13367_1107079.jpg

Thus, an attempt to fix that. The idea was to try it in a way that required minimum cutting and sculpting work that could be knocked out in an assembly line, but that was a bust. Lessons learned: it's going to take putty regardless, hobby knife is way too slow, don't worry about preserving belt detail. If I had gone after it with a saw from the get go it would have been way easier, and there's plenty of gaps that need filling regardless.

Anyways, let me know what you think!
  • Giganotosaurus likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,626 posts

Yeah, it's pretty much what I had to do to mine - some of the shoulder pads were a zoggin nuisance especially. I think they came out well enough http://www.the-waaag...=44576&p=598832

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

• Grotz
  • 21 posts
Those turned out petty good, looks like it was mostly moving the arms and adding some detail bits from other kits? Can't get a good read on the legs from those angles, were those reposed as well?

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,626 posts

Cheers, from memory they came in three bits - an arm, a head and the rest. First step was to cut the fixed arm off, then cut the torso at the waist and then cut the legs vertically down either side of the belt. This allowed the groin to be re-positioned in less of an r-sout stance, the front of the torso was cut/filed so that it sat more upright (possibly had to do a bit to the front of the waist belt too). Once the pose looked about right I used Milliput to fill the joins, let it go off, positioned the arms (more Milliput to sort those joins out) and then stuck the heads on using more Milliput to vary the angles a bit. Sorry if this is all a bit vague but it was a while ago :lol

Edit - yeah, I also raided the bitz box for extra stuff to stick on them.

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 203 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Check the miniature black hole for the head. All work benches/places/shops come equipped with them (placed there by Murphy or Sod). The black hole is a cousin of the one in the laundry that eats your missing socks. :yes The head will turn up after  you have built a new head, and finished painting the dread. Suffering from indigestion, the workbench black hole will have spit it out!  :puke I like the repositioned ork. Whoever was responsible at GW for sculpting the orks, must have been a George Michael fan. :lol

Garslag

Garslag

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 580 posts
I like the stance on your repositioned ork. Is he greatly taller than a standard assembly boy?
"Parry the 6!"