Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaa-Garslag's Evil Sunz and also Snakebites

- - - - - gobsmasha squiggoth

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
2017-04-23%2016.09.55.jpg

Minor progress. Neck is fairly self explanatory. Green stuff eyeballs will (hopefully) look less out of place when I add the eyelids in a suitably grumpy fashion. Began building up a decent jawline - no need for this to look good, as it will be obscured by an iron gob. If i ever remember what the hell I did with his horns, I'll repurposing them as big ole canine teef.

Daughter is pretty gung ho for me to paint him purple. I'm thinking i might mix up a grotty brown-purple and see how that looks, when the time comes.
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
Also, here's what I ended up with for mudguards. Yes, they're completely unfit for purpose, but I after being really unsure about the idea, I kinda like em now.

2017-04-23%2016.20.55.jpg

Do note the judicious use of the no. 1 easiest glyph to cut out of plasticard. ..
  • Mad Grot Docsnik, derry and Badfang Brassaxe like this
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh
I vote for a purple squiggoth as well. Not the easiest paint job to pull off but it definitely draws attention. Iirc there was a guy who did a whole waaagh of purple orks and he capped it off with a custom sculpted purple squiggoth. So it's a tried and true option. Go for it.

Mud guards get a :thumbs as well.
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
No piccies today. Collected a package of kromlech parts from the post office today. It seems I really do owe majec_kromlech (sp?) a beer, because the package was jam packed with freebies - heaps of iron gobs, and a nice blood axey cap head. Looking forward to posting the finished product - cheers kromlech!
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
2017-04-28%2015.55.30.jpg

Upper eyelid is not yet all that I hope it will be, but i feel I'm shedding the dopey triceratops look in favour of the more cartoony ork look.
  • PointBlank likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Yerh, he's lookin angry now. That's good. The teef really help change the shape of the head by giving it a manlier jawline.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
Feedback request. Cardboard mockup of iron jaw below. I think the size is about right, but I could use reassurance. Thoughts?

2017-05-07%2017.44.12.jpg
  • chaoshead87 likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts

For the past few weeks I have been playing with some 3D modelling using the insanely simple Sketchup.  I've been trying to get my eye in by creating the simplest ork vehicle I know of, the Gobsmasha, and I wanted to share what I've come up with, even though it's only halfway done.  Also I haven't been bothered making an imgur account, so this photobucket link may or may not work, depending on whether they've gotten round to shafting Australia yet.

gobsmasha%20wip_1.png

• Badfang Brassaxe, Giganotosaurus and Garr like this
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,746 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Pix showing up fine, Klassik Orky Stridsvagn :thumbs Maybe extra brownie points for putting the front axle on a swinging arm with hydraulix for raising and depressing the gun :?

Sketchup looks like it might be useful for making templates :)

• Giganotosaurus likes this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 238 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Rooooaaaarrrrr!!!!!!! Templates gud! :yes    I wonder if an old dinosaur can learn to use Sketchup? :?

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
Badfang - that is the orkiest damn idea I've heard in ages. My brother was trying to talk me into making lifting gubbins for the kannon, but why piss about with something like that when you can jack the whole vehicle up? I'm envisioning a couple of big fat lift cylinders that would connect to some sort of housing around the axle. Does that sound believable?

Gigantosaurus - if i were an old dinosaur in need of templates, i would definitely try my hand at this program. I won't go so far as to call it intuitive, but i did only 1 hour (2 at the outside) of tutorials before i got bored and started building a gobsmasha. And that's turning out okay.

I suspect my lack of training has led me to do some things the hard way and other things not at all. But my point is, you don't have to do much learning to attain a basic proficiency.
  • Giganotosaurus likes this
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
http://garslag.devia...h-WIP-702276372

First time using deviant art to host. I mostly use my phone to Internet and i found the imgur app just diabolical.

So he's getting to the point where i feel vindicated in my comments to whoever it was that started this thing. It was a heel of a lot more work than i anticipated mind you. I wasn't planning on having a howdah until i saw just how front-heavy that iron gob made him.

While i was gluing things today i also took the time to loot armoured walker's whfb goblin to grot with blunderbuss technique.
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts

Damn, doesn't look like I can link there directly.  :scowl  Looks like I hafta try and learn imgur after all. :rolleyes

"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,746 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

squiggoth_wip__by_garslag-dbm47x0.jpg

Are you sure you can't link there directly :? (right click on the pic, select 'copy image address' and paste it into the boards piccylink box) Like the squiggy but how many boyz are you looking to transport in that howdah?

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts

Like the squiggy but how many boyz are you looking to transport in that howdah?

Just the bloke that fires the kannon, and maybe a grot to keep him company if I can find one that looks the part.  He may never see the tabletop after all, so making him fit in with the official model's Transport value is superfluous.   I only built him at all because I was mouthing off to someone about how I thought they could do better at turning a Triceratops into a Squiggoth!

Don't know why I couldn't make the link happen.  It came up with a dialogue box saying, "you cannot use that url on this forum," or something to that effect.  I've been getting the same dialogue from Photobucket lately...  Something fishy going on here.

Anyway, hopefully tomoz I'll have time enough to finish green-stuffing his toenails.  Once that's done I'll be getting awfully close to undercoating him.  (I've also found a plastic whfb arrow.  I'll drill a hole in his side and stick the arrow in there before the paint goes on)

Pretty sure I don't have the skillz for it, much less the motivation, but I think he'd look pretty decent if I gave him a mohawk.

"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
In case anybody found some 15 year old green stuff in the shed and was thinking about using it, dont do it if you can help it. It's not completely impossible to use, but no matter how much yellow i roll in there it just doesn't want to stick to anything!
"Parry the 6!"

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
In case anybody found some 15 year old green stuff in the shed and was thinking about using it, dont do it if you can help it. It's not completely impossible to use, but no matter how much yellow i roll in there it just doesn't want to stick to anything!
"Parry the 6!"

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 238 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Use a bigger hammer when mixing the old green stuff.  ;) Makes it nice & malleable, and works out those evil frustrations at the same time! :lol

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gobsmasha, squiggoth