Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Waaa-Garslag's Evil Sunz and also Snakebites

- - - - - gobsmasha squiggoth

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

derry

derry

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 466 posts
  • Army Name:Askari Legion (Blood Axes)

Awesome.

If the rear wheels are larger, and the rear suspension is jacked up, you can have a jacked up rat rod spleenrippa (and then the angle of the barrel will be perfect.)

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Well, the rear wheels ARE larger but they're not really jacked up. The chassis sits horizontal. My initial plan ("Plan A") is to either build up the back end of the gun or take to the front of the rod with a rasp so that the gun sits flat.

My first day's work yielded absolutely no progress worth reporting. Unless frustration and discontent are considered newsworthy.

Thanks for the feedback guys. When i posted yesterday i was experiencing a big whack of doubt about the project so it's really good to hear some enthusiasm.
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

It's reassuring to those of us lesser Meks that you are in doubt, Garslag. Makes us realize we all fear every project. (Not even going to mention my own nightmare taking place in another part of the forum.) But really there's nothing out of place here. I think you've picked a good base vehicle and the possibilities for are many. I like derry's notion of jacking the back end, but lowering the front is also valid and may save some grot-kicking.

Just carry on.

Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
Well, that's a nice thing to say.

I have seen posters from time to time hereabouts who might fairly call themselves lesser meks than me... but they aren't a great multitude, and Mssr Mad Grot is certainly not among their number.

Coming back to the point: the rear axle runs through the guts of a little electric motor. I'd have to rip the whole thing apart to lift the wagon, which is a prospect that I must admit does not fill me with enthusiasm.

I'm gonna be out of action for a couple days, unfortunately. I'll try and make some progress again upon my return.
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,746 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

: the rear axle runs through the guts of a little electric motor

At which point I'd be measuring the circumference of the back tyre and trying to come up with a timer for 6", 12" and 18" movement :! (and probably wasting a load of time failing :crybaby )

How is the front axle attached :biggrin

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

I have seen posters from time to time hereabouts who might fairly call themselves lesser meks than me... but they aren't a great multitude, and Mssr Mad Grot is certainly not among their number.

Don't sell yourself short, Garslag. I don't have half the number of scratch-builds behind me as you. And I'm more Mad Doc than Mad Mek. I tend to paint and sculpt more than I build. So I continually marvel at how you guys put these things together so effortlessly. We are often our own harshest critics.

I understand your reluctance, once you have one of those little motors in there, you're looking at a whole different sort of donor body. Well, I'm sure you'll sort it.

At which point I'd be measuring the circumference of the back tyre and trying to come up with a timer for 6", 12" and 18" movement 

That would be brilliant BB! Of course yer scumgrods might not care for the actual ramming attacks. :lol

• derry and Badfang Brassaxe like this

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
Procrastinating on the Spleenrippa, still waiting on the rivvits. In the meantime, I've had an operation from which to recover and consequently a bit of time on my hands, so I started throwing some paint at this nob on quad bike. Ripped off his old head and stuck on one of my new kromlech wunz.

I fancy he needs a good dry brushing to dirty him up a bit.

2017-02-06%2019.01.06.jpg

2017-02-06%2019.02.06_1.jpg
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

Super-nice quad! The skull made me laugh, dunno why, just imagined it bobbling around on the fender whilst this guy rattles across the battlefield.

Hate to be nit-picky but you should tilt yer gunz up a bit to account for the raised back end. And dirt, yeah, hit it with the dust dry-brush.

I need to build me some quads/bikes. That's one thing my Waaagh is missing. :scowl

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts

I have recently commenced studying Quality Management Systems Auditing via an online provider, and after having my tonsils out a month ago my progress on this front has been rather stagnant.  It should therefore surprise nobody that, on coming home to find the wife and kids at a 4th birthday party, I immediately began building a new warboss for my Snakebite army, the Headhunterz.  Allow me to introduce Bashkrag Bloodfist.  The empty space on the base to his left will eventually house some species of attack squig.

2017-02-25%2013.15.13.jpg

2017-02-25%2013.15.47.jpg

I have previously discussed my woeful lack of aptitude with green stuff, but I think I can do pretty passable fur.  There's a patch on his left that I had to repair after this photo, it having encountered my thumb to great ill-effect.  Having some green stuff left over, I attempted to make a pet snake which would have coiled around his right knee, but at this I failed miserably.  The wolf pelt idea I looted from a french website I happened across one day.  I can't assign credit to this unnamed frenchman, because I lost the link and have no idea of his name.  All I really know is that it wasn't lucius le troll.

• derry and KillFalcon like this
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

... The empty space on the base to his left will eventually house some species of attack squig.

Speaking of... during my recent rummaging of bitz boxes, I rediscovered this guy...

AttackSquig1_018.jpg

Which was (I think) my first full sculpt from scratch (at least it says so on my web site). He never received paint in all these years so I cleaned him up a bit (some of those muscles needed smoothing) and I was going to base and paint him just for the heck of it. But I think he'd make a dandy attack squig for a Snakebite Boss and I'll send him to you if you are at a loss for a solution to the empty spot.

Barry shot for size comparison...

AttackSquig1_015.jpgNote that he's not on the base, so he's actually as tall as yer average boy.

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
2017-03-05%2020.55.06.jpg

Hopefully this pic shows up - the waaagh banner for my snakebites. I'm hoping someone can help me out with him. The trouble is the snake on the banner -when I hit it with citadel colours, particularly the chaos black spray, i instigated some sort of chemical reaction that is beyond my understanding. It became all sticky. A couple years later i put him in my carry case, and the still-sticky snake stuck to the foam, foam that is still stuck to it to this day.

My question then is this: I have a spare snake that i can use to replace the sticky one. But before i do anything with it I need to know what paints i can use on it safely. Eben just being able to put a black wash over it would be outstanding. Anyone got any insights?
"Parry the 6!"

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wired into a kan.

• Boyz
  • 1,746 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Really could do with knowing what its made from - if it's a jelly snake we're probably going to struggle :? These days I tend to use this stuff http://www.ebay.co.u...~8AAOSwys5WV14e which seems to be water soluble, can be applied by brush or sprayed and, once it's gone off, should seal the surface from any subsequent paint. Failing that try copying it in Milliput - you'd probably find it not too difficult ;)  

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

I have run into the permanently-sticky-paint syndrome before, but on sculpey not on plastic. Turns out certain top coats don't like polymer clays. I was able to solve the problem by hitting it with a couple coats of a better quality matte varnish and leaving it out to dry for a week. Which won't help you because you've got that whole foam thing going on there. Since you're starting from a new banner you're best bet is to know what works going in. Hard to make any guess without knowing exactly what that snake is made of, so general thoughts... Might be a lot of work, but you could strip the existing snake and use it to test various primers and paints.

Of course, if you're impatient like me, you'll just forge ahead with your best guess paint on the new one and hope it isn't sticky in a week. :blush

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts

The Snake is made of some kinda rubbery plastic stuff.  I don't really know how to narrow it down any more than that; it's from a $2 shop toy, so it could be made out of really anything.

I have a couple different types of putty.  The green stuff is accessible; the other stuff, whatever it is, will take some hunting down.  I know there have been casting tutorials posted here over the years, so I might just go looking for them.  It does seem a fairly sensible way of going about things, and it's probably a pretty handy skill to acquire.

I made a start on painting Gobsmasha #2 today while the missus and I were arguing about finances.  I've been drybrushing like a son of a bitch, trying to keep the red nice and murky to contrast with the bright and shiny paint job on the last wun.  The pic below should show the flames I've stuck to the outside of the kannon (they'll be red eventually), and the washer I've glued inside the barrel to reduce the bore.  I should probably stick some green stuff in the gap between the two halves of the engine block/exhausts, or at least a bit of PVA glue.  Any suggestions on what to do with it once I finish throwing different reds at it will be given due consideration, coz I really haven't got much further than that.

2017-03-06%2017.25.41.jpg

"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

Noice, the flames and the washer are precisely what the barrel needed. :thumbs Suggest you add some graffiti from the crew. Maybe the "zog off" glyph, some random dags never go amiss. For some strange reason when I look at it from this angle it wants some flimsy mud-guard fenders. They would be ridiculous and somehow appropriate. But I can that they would work... no place to attach them without blocking the access hatch really. Just a funny thought. Roight, I'm rambling, back to the snake...

Ahhhh, that rubbery stuff is not going to like paint at all. I seem to recall from way-back (quick to the way-back machine, Sherman!) the 1/76th scale minis that Airfix produced were a soft plastic that would not accept paint easily. The solution was to soak them to remove the oils on and in the surface. Might be that would work for this thing. It might become brittle which would be okay too.

A quick google search shows that the Airfix issue is well known, but all I found so far said use the right primer. I know there's some other wisdom out there though.

Anyhow, I still think sculpting a snake like that is about the easiest solution. It's just a roll of putty tapered on one end with a lump on the other and then curved into an ess and left to cure. With the up sde of allowing you to downsize it a bit so the banner isn't bigger than the boy carrying it.

NightHawk

NightHawk

Magnetic Arm

• Boyz
  • 523 posts
  • Army Name:NightHawks

You could paint it up to look like moss? If they are jungle-dwelling Snakebites it wouldn't be out of the question.

Da Klan Projekt
Blood Axes v1-4 2/1/0

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
2017-03-11%2016.36.21.jpg
Stupid mail grots delivered it to my next door neighbour, but these squigs are very loyal. He soon came looking for his new Boss!

I can't thank you enough, MGD. He will look just the part alongside da boss. Any idea what Collyer he ought to be?
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

Oi! Good to see he made it and you're quite welcome, Garslag. I think you can see I messed with the ridge down his back. I originally planned to put a saddle on him and make him a riding squig which left his back somewhat undefined. When I realized he would end up as a (very large) squighound or an attack squig,  in the best case, I better defined his spine with maybe a thought of adding small spikes along it. But it will be fine as-is with a coat of primer.

Don't count what I think with any special importance, but I always pictured him in my head as being ork green. Same spores as wot begat yer boyz! And with a dark wash on his back to catch the skin texture there. So my vote is green.

So happy he's got a home now and a warboss to toss him scraps. :thumbs

• Garslag likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Explosive Kranium

• Boyz
  • 617 posts
Going back to the Gobsmasha for a moment, I really like the fender idea. I'd like to do fenders over the rear wheels, but I really can't see how I'd do it. The back facing drops off really steeply leaving probly not enough body to attach the back half of a fender to. :/

I don't have to do anything about it just now though, can totally afford to let the concept ferment and see if inspiration presents itself.
"Parry the 6!"

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,752 posts

...probly not enough body to attach the back half of a fender to. :/

Yeah, that's exactly the impression I got. Well, let it percolate for a while... if it's possible I'm sure you'll come up with a solution... probably involving bondo, grots, and implements of torture. :thumbs

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gobsmasha, squiggoth