Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grokguzz's WIP Shinanigans

- - - - - scratch builds conversions stompa big mek stompa battlewagon potato head

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

I picked up this dump truck today from a dollar store (well, "dollar" store...it was $3. But whatever.  What caught my eye was the cab section, as it really looked like a tough kind of truck cab, and actually seemed to be about the same height, length and width as the Battlewagon:

IMG_9380.jpg

So far, I think this might work out - even with the addition of a few armoured plates and an out-cropped door (to say nothing of a reinforced windshield armour) this looks like it'll be able to adequately resemble a Battlewagon.  The interior is also big enough to accommodate a boy driver!

IMG_9388.jpg

IMG_9389.jpg

IMG_9390.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

• chaoshead87 and Nonebutone like this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

The wheels have been Orkified, and I'm adding extra armoured cab space and a platform in the rear.  I'm not sure if I'll leave the back open or not yet.

IMG_9395.jpg

IMG_9396.jpg

IMG_9397.jpg

• chaoshead87 likes this

Garslag

Garslag

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 579 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I really like the way you roughed up the top of the cab,it really disguises the beast's dollar store origins. I'm kinda pissed at myself for having gone this long without thinking of this myself.

My only criticism is there doesn't look like there's much room between the wheels and the wheel arch, although it might just be a trick of the camera. I wonder if the wheels could be set lower, or a little bit more space carved out of the wheel arch to make room for them?

Lookin' good.
"Parry the 6!"

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

Thanks for the feedback!  

Hm...now that I look at it, yeah, it does seem like the wheels are preeety close to the wheel wells.  I'm not sure I want them looking too low either, though.  I mean, the wheels on the GW model itself are also pretty close to the arches too:

ork-battlewagon.jpg

but I do see what you mean, and I think I could strip a bit of the arch away (I can't really lower  the wheels or axle at this point in the project without redoing most of the cab).  I'll give it a go.

Last night I got some more work done: the back half of the cab, and the rest of the rear platform.  I'm trying (and struggling) to figure out turrets for this thing though.

IMG_9398.jpg

IMG_9399.jpg

IMG_9400.jpg

IMG_9402.jpg

• Itinerate Ork and chaoshead87 like this

votkov

votkov

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 5 posts

I saw this posted on None's thread & was a little worried about how different you could get it to look, though with the work you have put into it so far makes it so different from the original model,  Looking forward to seeing this complete :D

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

Thanks!  I wasn't sure if I could make the truck sufficiently 'orky' and hide its origins. I'm happy so far with how the project's gone, but it's great to hear I'm not just being indulgent, and that others think it's undergone enough change!

I built a second armoured compartment last night to house a turret for a possible Killkannon.  It's a bit blocky, but I'll add pipes and rivets and plates and stuff to bulk it up.  The turret will be able to turn because it's attached to a pill bottle and goes through a hole in the structure itself. The entire compartment is going to be removable for games I don't take the killkannon (I worked to put in that metal mesh floor, I'm going to show it off!)  

I also trimmed back the wheel arches a bit:

IMG_9403.jpg

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

IMG_9407.jpg

• chaoshead87 likes this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

Also started on the "Hover Wagon".  Thanks again to None for giving me his blessing to loot this fantastic idea!

So, when I first looked at the dart gun, I began by thinking about how I might try and differentiate mine from None's, so that I'm not literally copying his work.  The concept is borrowed, but I wanted the execution to be my own.  I thought about the Battlewagon as a troop carrier, capable of transporting 20 models, and considered that perhaps the hover wagon ought to be a bit more bulky, to look like it can *carry* twenty models (or at least some).

So, first I had to take the whole gun apart to clear out the spring loading mechanism (and clean all that grease!  Holy cow, None, did you have 'fun' with that on yours?).  But once I had the pieces separated, I thought, "hm..."  and wondered if I could keep them apart. 

IMG_9409.jpg

To that end, these dollar store pens will work marvelously!

IMG_9411.jpg

Cutting the pens' tubes, I can use them as frames/beams across the body of the wagon - together with some sprue pieces that were already squared, for a bit more extra support. 

IMG_9413.jpg

I've tried to vary the heights and positions of the pen 'beams' so that they strengthen the structural integrity of the body.

IMG_9414.jpg

And here's an idea of where I'm going with this:

IMG_9417.jpg

Thanks for looking, and as always, comments and criticisms welcome!

• chaoshead87 and Nonebutone like this

Garslag

Garslag

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 579 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
Hmm, you're right about the gw model. If never noticed that before. Anyway, GW have a long history of designs that wouldn't work in real life, but that's no reason for us to stoop to their level! I think your fix does the job nicely.
"Parry the 6!"

Nonebutone

Nonebutone

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 689 posts
  • Army Name:Geargut'z Mekboyz

I'm glad to see that your making one that is wider, as I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, as I may in turn loot the idea for Geargut'z personal battlewagon. (After all the boss does get the best things right?)

Looking forward to seeing where you take the design!

-None

Da Umies say "If You build it dey will come" But every time I build somethin, dey run!.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

So yesterday, I mounted the hover wagon onto its base. I used balsa wood for the base, and drilled a hole through it and routered the bottom, just as I had with my potato head stompa, to accomodate the support frame. I used coat hanger for the frame again, as it's really a reliable material for frame work, and twisted/tied two pieces together into a "u" shape (which would be horizontal once inside the wagon).  On each end, I turned the metal to make them forked, so that they'd 1) provide some support on the bottom of the base and distribute the weight, and 2) catch the insides of the frame and hull to balance the rig on top.  After that I merely used wire to tightly tie the coat hanger wire to the plastic frame bits inside to tighten it.  It's pretty much holding without any glue.

Using form core for some body, I added plasticard around the bottom of the wagon, though I've left the top as I'm as yet unsure how I'll proceed up there.  A turret and cockpit are needed somewhere, just not sure how I want to do those. The first section, I stripped the dumper from the plastic dump truck I used on the first battlewagon, and combined them as I liked the ribbed texture. I think/hope it makes it look like some sort of doors/hatch.  They won't open though - sadly, when I opted to make a frame using tubes, I could no longer fit a compartment inside the thing, with an opening door and such.  I'd have liked to do that too -but then, maybe I should have opted for a rhino or something as the inside hull.

IMG_9421.jpg

IMG_9424.jpg

IMG_9423.jpg

• chaoshead87 likes this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

another update! I'm on fire this week with modelling work. I guess I just have the bug right now, and want to work with my hands (but after a day of writing for school, who can blame me?!)

small updates regarding the hover wagon tonight: just started the cockpit and the turret, is all. Simple stuff, really.

IMG_9426.jpg

IMG_9429.jpg

• chaoshead87 likes this

Nonebutone

Nonebutone

Steel Teef

• Boyz
  • 689 posts
  • Army Name:Geargut'z Mekboyz

The sunken Driving area really works, I'll have to steal that for one of the future hover wagons. Have you thought about what you'll be doing with the rear area?

-None

Da Umies say "If You build it dey will come" But every time I build somethin, dey run!.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

Update!

I've covered the rest of the exposed guts of this thing, finished the cockpit controls, and started work on the rear section of the hover wagon. I've still got a fair bit of bits to add to this thing before I'm 'done' building it, but it's nearing the painting stage. Soon...

IMG_9432.jpg

IMG_9461.jpg

IMG_9464.jpg

IMG_9462.jpg

IMG_9466.jpg

As always, thanks for viewing!

• chaoshead87, Nonebutone and r_squared like this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

I changed the title of this thread, because I've realized that I'm now venturing into too many on going projects, and don't want to have a handful of threads to keep track of (or spam).  But this is getting kind of nuts. For WIP projects, I currently have 'open':

--(*finishing*) the Potato Head Stompa
--Big Mek Potato Head Stompa

--a third potato head stompa
--Battlewagon

--Hover Wagon

--Dakkajet/Blitza Bomma (based on a corsair model)

--Painting (boyz, nobz, meganobz, bikes, etc.)

and now, adding to that list, is yet another project I started today.  I converted a warbike from an old beakie biker I had kicking around.  And I saw a post elsewhere about whether FW has a model of Zhadsnarck 'da Rippa - which of course they do - and the thread got me thinking about how I'd like to try Zhadsnark out, but Can't afford to dish out that money.  

So...here I go again:

IMG_9478.jpg

From a pylon...

IMG_9477.jpg

..and a lego piece..

IMG_9474.jpg

With a frame from a tank trap, an old panzer model's wheels...

IMG_9475.jpg

and then a wheel well, some wheels, tires, and plastic card...

IMG_9479.jpg

IMG_9483.jpg

then add some bits and hoses to the jet engine:

IMG_9480.jpg

add a tread or two:

IMG_9485.jpg

a coat hanger wire for stability,  and you've got something taking shape:

IMG_9484.jpg

Comments? Suggestions?  Court orders to report to an asylum?

• derry and chaoshead87 like this

r_squared

r_squared

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 341 posts
I saw the last picture first and thought of Zhardsnarks bike right away before reading your comment. S o I would say you're definitely on the right track. :thumbsup:

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Wartrukk Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,625 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Bent brazing rod frame, that's gotta be proppa mekkin'  :thumbs

Big Mek Rekkcrasha

Big Mek Rekkcrasha

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 75 posts
  • Army Name:Big Mek Rekkcrasha's Looty Boyz

Nice work here! :thumbs

That Trukk/Battlewagon is turning out really well, you've really managed Orkifie it enough to detract it from still looking like a toy!

I feel your pain on all the ongoing unfinished projects, I'm in the same boat, it never seems to end! :bang

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die, so it don't count as beat. If we runs for it we don't die neither, so we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

Steals it and paint it BLOO

Click the link to view and follow my Blog: - Big Mek Rekkcrasha's Mekshop

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

Well, I added a few more pieces to the battlewagon and hover wagons.  Not huge mods, but I added jet engines to the hover wagon, a hood ornament, and some greebling to the engine turbine section.

IMG_9494.jpg

IMG_9495.jpg

HOver:

IMG_9488.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

IMG_9490.jpg

IMG_9492.jpg

IMG_9493.jpg

I think - just maybe - I'm ready to prime these suckers....though I don't have an airbrush, so I'm not sure how I'm going to paint them yet (also, I need to learn how to airbrush).

As always, thanks for looking! Comments and questions welcome!

• Itinerate Ork, chaoshead87 and Mik McMok the Mek like this

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 313 posts

Bent brazing rod frame, that's gotta be proppa mekkin'  :thumbs

Thanks!  I figured I should add something sturdy in there to build off of, or else the bike would be way too weak.

I saw the last picture first and thought of Zhardsnarks bike right away before reading your comment. S o I would say you're definitely on the right track. :thumbsup:

That's really reassuring! Thank you :D

Nice work here! :thumbs

That Trukk/Battlewagon is turning out really well, you've really managed Orkifie it enough to detract it from still looking like a toy!

I feel your pain on all the ongoing unfinished projects, I'm in the same boat, it never seems to end! :bang

Thanks!  I was worried how much I'd be able to do to the truck to make sure no one saw it was just a dollar store toy, but it's good to hear I've managed to change it enough.

Big Mek Rekkcrasha

Big Mek Rekkcrasha

Syringe Squig

• Grotz
  • 75 posts
  • Army Name:Big Mek Rekkcrasha's Looty Boyz

Edited - **Chopped**

I think - just maybe - I'm ready to prime these suckers....though I don't have an airbrush, so I'm not sure how I'm going to paint them yet (also, I need to learn how to airbrush).

As always, thanks for looking! Comments and questions welcome!

Before priming, I would suggest maybe adding rivets to your models just to help finish the great Orky look you've got going here.

Edited - **Chopped**

Thanks!  I was worried how much I'd be able to do to the truck to make sure no one saw it was just a dollar store toy, but it's good to hear I've managed to change it enough.

It really has turned out well, I'm interested to see how it looks painted!

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die, so it don't count as beat. If we runs for it we don't die neither, so we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

Steals it and paint it BLOO

Click the link to view and follow my Blog: - Big Mek Rekkcrasha's Mekshop

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scratch builds, conversions, stompa, big mek stompa, battlewagon, potato head