Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sparowl's Orks and Kustom MaNz! (Mainly MaNz)

* * * * - 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Sparowl

Sparowl

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 60 posts
So, had a few friends convince me to start up Orks. Since one of them had Goffs, and was running mass hordes, and the other was running Deffskulls for the shootas, I figured I could Mek up and build some armor. General idea behind the army was lots of mega armor, in trukks and battlewagons.

Group Photo for Mob 1:
Posted Image

Meganob 1:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Meganob 2:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Nob 4 and 5:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The icons were freehanded from pictures out of the Ork book. I'm pretty pleased with how they came out, and actually built the later ones with specific areas open so that I had space to put stuff on. Feels proper considering the Bad Moon motif.

I have further pictures of the models when they're just plastic and plasticard, but figured I'd save space and just show the completed models. Hopefully I'll start working on the next batch (eventually I plan on having 28 total MaNz), but motivation is hard when video games are so much closer.

Any comments, good or bad, suggestions, concerns, criticisms, etc. are welcome.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Warbuggy Driver

• Boyz
  • 1,555 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz
First up - welcome to Da Waaagh!, there's been a few AoBR nobz to MANz threads and yours are definately distinctive. Technically the placement of some of the cylinders is a bit iffy and personally I'd have curved the insides of nob 5s' klaw blades but other than that, pretty good job. Photography could have been a bit better though, a sheet of A4 paper behind the figs will always give 'more fig/less clutter' photos and not leaving one figure behind another won't leave us trying to work out where one ends and the other starts. But overall, good first post :thumbs keep 'em coming.

crispy

crispy

Grot Rigger

• Boyz
  • 171 posts
I like these. Have something of an Aliens powerloader about them. Good work.
"When the pin is removed, Mr Grenade is not your friend!"

BigMek Gaudge

BigMek Gaudge

Yoof

• Boyz
  • 201 posts
I for one would LOVE to see how you put these little beauties together and what they looked like before they were painted. I've been trying to work out how I want to scratch some MANZ in the back of my head since July. I think these guys fit with the fluff in the Ork Codex very well. I dig the paint jobs and the bases you did for them too.

Wot? *strokes chin* hmmmm.

Ekoi

Ekoi

Mushling

• Grotz
  • 27 posts
  • Army Name:Da Purple Fragz
Some of em look too off-centered of their bases for my taste. It's a miracle that the one with teslacoils doesn't fall over every time you put it down. Other than that, they're some of the better Blackreach Nob conversions for megaarmor I've see. C:

MrSpermdeath

MrSpermdeath

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 268 posts
  • Army Name:haven't got one yet

I for one would LOVE to see how you put these little beauties together and what they looked like before they were painted. I've been trying to work out how I want to scratch some MANZ in the back of my head since July. I think these guys fit with the fluff in the Ork Codex very well. I dig the paint jobs and the bases you did for them too.

I agree I would love a WIP
Now of course there are rules, and for the most-part they should be followed. But this legal/illegal concept is rubbish; it's just a game, it isn't a bloody court case. -Dim_Reapa

New terrain business trying to get off the ground you can check out some of the things we have done on Facebook.
http://www.facebook....149802318432666

Sparowl

Sparowl

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 60 posts
Thanks for the comments everyone. Hopefully I'll get to working on the next batch here soon and throw up some new WiP pictures.

Badfang Brassaxe - Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I've received that comment about #5 before. I'll try and get some better pictures for the next batch using what you mentioned.

crispy - Thanks. That's kinda how I picture Ork MaNz. Big, Bulky and Powerful!

BigMek Gaudge - Well, since you asked....check below.

Ekoi - Yeah, a few of them are kinda off center. However, due to how the weight is, and how big the bases are, they never seem to fall over. Thanks!

MrSpermdeath - Alright, coming up:

My first Meganob - I went back and reworked some of the pistons on him after completing the squad, as I wasn't happy with how his pistons were working out. These are the original pictures of him.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Nob 2 pre-claw:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sparowl

Sparowl

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 60 posts
Nob 3:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Nob 4:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Sparowl

Sparowl

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 60 posts
Nob 5:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Sparowl

Sparowl

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 60 posts
Here's the bases I built for them:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fishspit

Fishspit

Stainless Steel Skull

• Boyz
  • 574 posts
  • Army Name:Da 'Ell Raysas
I just realised that these were based in AoBR, for that, I salute you. :cheers Pretty solid meganobz all around, you really captured the bulk of them without going too overboard :P (a little overboard is just proppa orky!) Some of the amrs look a touch questionable, but the painted nobz work out fine. I'd say job's a gud 'un! :thumbs :cheers
QUOTE (Khestra the Unbeheld @ Jan 26 2011, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given a firm-enough concept, Abnett could write a shortbread cookie recipe and make it entertaining. Personal tastes may vary, though, not everyone is down with shortbread cookies.

"Yes, yes! Away with the cartoony garnish! These Wolves are so ****ing mean and tough, they are going to ****ing come round Horusís crib and **** him up so ****ing nasty, he wonít be able to ******* without a **** and two sturdy ***** ****. Actually, they are so ****ing ***** and ******* ***** *****, they donít even like being called Space Wolves. THATíS how hard they are!"
-Dan Abnett

Zazzdakka

Zazzdakka

Suction Foot

• Goffz
  • 593 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH Zaz
Really great stuff! I was going for a tighter feel when I did mine, but you've really got these bulked up well. :thumbs I personally like the use of salt and pepper shakers as a background for the picts. It gives a size element to the pict that I really like. :biggrin Another thing is the KISS style boots you've done on these guys. I didn't even think of that for mine. I really like the extreme tallness. Maybe for some others you actually give them heels and a couple of black and white faces to go along. :biggrin Well done, keep it up and I can't wait to see more. :cheers
Makin' it up as I go along!

Nazbag

Nazbag

Gyro Stabilised Monowheel

• Boyz
  • 538 posts
  • Army Name:Nazbags New Boyz
Fantastic build, thanks for the wip shots. I was having a discussion with a friend about scratch building mega nobs, he was thinking of using, nob's as a basis and bulking them up with p-card. I was not sure and reckoned that it would prove limiting and that it would be easyer and better to build the bodies from scratch. This thread had completely proved me wrong, well done, I am going to recommend that he loot's your idea.

For  Laser Cut Terrain, Bases and accessories go toWar Games Tournaments

Sparowl

Sparowl

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 60 posts
Well, was busy for awhile. Here's number 6 MaN:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Da Boss

Da Boss

Shoota Boy

• Boyz
  • 241 posts
just looking at the bases alone makes me go wow - hats of to your attention to detail. The minigun is awesome and the iron gobs must have taken some effort to bend/melt into shape. :thumbs my only bad is that for some of the nobs, their feet and arms are too thin and roboty. needs mor bulk - armour plates, pistons, glyphs, gyros, etc

b0und in3rtia

b0und in3rtia

'Ead Graft

• Blood Axez
  • 718 posts
  • Army Name:Mekunized Blood Axe Deff Core
very creative,. you have a solid use of PK and thse are good meganobz. they deff have that slow and bulky feel dont they?
Got Waaaaaaagh!!?!!?!?!?
"Killa Kanz down Deff Coptas up Dis is how we like ta KRUMP!! " -=Looted=-
My Photobucket of Orc stuff.

Spores of Anarchy Ash Waste Nomad Chapter

balsak_da_mighty

balsak_da_mighty

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 465 posts
  • Army Name:?
I like the idea of them, but I think they look to bulky almost. If thats the right word. Don't get me wrong you did a pretty good job. Keep up the work and the ideas they are great.

Sparowl

Sparowl

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 60 posts
@Da Boss: Thanks! I think bases are important to how the model looks, and especially how the army looks together.

The gobs are actually pretty easy. I just take a long piece, bend it into the shape I want, then glue it to a flat piece (which is the under part of the gob). Then I hold it until dry, and then cut off the excess from the base of the gob. Then I glue on extra spiky bits to make the teeth, and add rivets to make it look Orky! Maybe I'll do a tutorial for the next one.

Any specific ones? I know #6's arm is too spindly, because its only one piece. Other then that?

@b0und in3rtia: Thanks! I hope for the slow and purposeful look. If a Ork Nob in a ton and a half of piston driven power armor is walking towards you, your only option should be to run, like a git!

@balsak_da_mighty: Not sure what you mean. Too bulky? Any specific one/location(s)? Thanks for the comments!

WiP of #7:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sparowl

Sparowl

Juicy Squig

• Grotz
  • 60 posts
Decided to go a little heavier on the armor for this one, as well as completely covering the feet. While his armor looks better to me, I'm not too sure about this one's PK. Also, he looks more and more like the GW ones. Anyone else's thoughts?

So, here's Nob 7, waiting to be painted and based:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

grubermiester

grubermiester

Puffball Fungus

• Grotz
  • 11 posts
I think cutting the teeth off the axe on his back will make it look a lot more like an engine