Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trust in Rust Dread Mob: 9-7-17 4-3 Battle Reports from Nova!

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
284 replies to this topic

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust
Hey Fellas!

Just got back from vacation, and when I arrived, some new resin bases from dragonforge design were waiting for me! I've been building up a black templar army as my secondary, and when I first got some batches off ebay, they came with dragonforge bases, so I decided to stick with that for the whole army.

Well I've completely fallen in love with them, so I decided that the ork HQ's, the deff dread's, and all the PK nobz in the boyz squads deserved their own resin bases. So I picked up some wasteland bases, and painted them up as well as I am able. It's amazing what a few months do to your painting skills. When I first started, I'd paint maybe 2 layers and call it a day....now each base is multiple dry brushes, layers, highlights, and washes. LOL

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next up. The last 3 killa kan's, and the last deff dread to paint and base! Then back to the boyz again!

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
I'm joining in the June painting threat! I've decided to do the 3 killa kan's and deff dread I mentioned in the previous post. Last month i built, magnetized, and primed the models. This month I'm just going to concentrate on painting them.

For the dread, I'm painting him, 2 rokkit launchers, a skorcha, and all 4 DCCW's. All magnetized. He will also have a dragon forge resin base, like the other dread (but slightly different style).

The killa kan's will have their normal DCCW's, and 3 rokkit's, or 3 grotzooka's.

One grotzooka is modified from the skorcha included with the kit, with some lobba parts from the BW upgrade sprue.

I'm first starting out with a base coat, which is a 50/50 (roughly) mix of boltgun and chaos black, applied via the GW spray gun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for the kan bases yet. I'm not going to do resin, that's for sure. It would be cost almost 50 bucks to put them all on resin. (9 killa kans). I have a bit of limited experience with making my own bases, but still don't like them as much as the resin ones. I think one of the reasons I really like the resin, is they are incredibly stable. Not only are they much thicker then the standard bases, but they are also completely solid.

arcticcanadian

arcticcanadian

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 85 posts
  • Army Name:801
So far so good, now to get your hands dirty er models. Could you share the link for the wash recipe that you used on your shoota boys?

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Here's the wash link.
http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=48148

On mine, I doubled up on the green wash, and the red wash. And did a light final mud wash (instead of heavy in the video).

Posted Image

Slowly working on the dread. Basecoating merchite red and ivan darksun!

Foffgrot

Foffgrot

Tankbusta Boy

• Boyz
  • 428 posts
  • Army Name:Sturmboss Grogorks Snazzy Sturmband
I've been using scab red on black and finishing upwards with blood red (to get a spotchy look) and then highlighting. Would you recommend using mechrite red instead of scab red? How do you highlight?
Hand me another panzee! ...this one split

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Hey foffgrot, My general paint scheme has been... Merchite red + red gore + devlan mud. However working with my black templars have taught me a lot about highlighting... so my new setup is going to be... merchite red + red gore + blood red + fine skull white + baal red wash + devlan mud. We will see how that turns out. On the yellow I'm doing ivan darksun, followed by some white highlights, + sephia wash + devlan mud. My other dread doesn't have any highlights on it really, other then some battle damage, and each of it's never ending rivets hit with some boltgun. I don't have any scarb red to try, so have no idea how that would look.

Ug Thok

Ug Thok

Flash Git

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,040 posts
  • Army Name:Da Zoggin Zoggers
Hey Greggles I advise using washes after the basecoat, not after highlighting. I spent FOREVER painting up some Ork Boyz (I used about 8-9 different layers) and all my highlights got washed out by Devlan Mud.
Easy Waaaghers
MEGA Armored Warboss TOEGNASHER
Da DurDregga

Behind Brother-Captain Bob, a great rift opened from the void, and space elves hopped out with cookies. In their time of greatest peril, Craftworld Keebler came to the Mon Keigh. Unfortunately for both, this would be no ordinary bake sale.

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Hey Ug,
I ran into the same issue you did before. What I now do is exaggerate the highlights before washing. So instead of them being subtle, they're a bit over the top before the wash. Then the wash dulls them down, but they still shine through.

In this way i use skull white as a pinkish color (as baal red), or very light yellow after the greytone sephia.

Here is an example of the method I'm using on the templar's.

Posted Image

Primer chaos black.
Merchite Red drybrush
Red gore to deepen red.
Dry brush blood red.
Skull white edge highlights
Baal Red Wash

Eyes are a buildup of 3 different greens, ending up with scorpion green? I'd have to check.

Posted Image
  • Deffz Ead likes this

arcticcanadian

arcticcanadian

Gnasher (face eater)

• Grotz
  • 85 posts
  • Army Name:801
I've seen that scheme before... funny....

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Did some more work today. Just more base coats of color with merchite and ivan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Finished the base. I tried to take photos of all my steps, so if anyone was interested they could follow along. (I also put all the base comments and photos in one post, instead of separating them out)

This base is from dragonforge design. Their wasteland II 60mm series.
http://www.dragonfor...asteland_II.htm

Step 1: Primed Base Chaos Black.

Step 2: Basecoat with calthan brown. Base on the right is the Mad Doc base. (showing what they look like just primered)

Posted Image

Step 3: Dry brush of khemri brown. Rocks get a full coat.

Posted Image

Step 4: Light drybrush of dheneb stone over the service. Medium over the rocks. This is followed by a very light bleached bone drybrush.

Posted Image

Step 5: Tin bitz the metals, dwarf bronze the casings.

Posted Image

Step 6: Baal red wash on the rocks. This immediately dyes the rocks a pinkish color, and stains the highlights. This is a quick application, followed by a cloth/towel dab off. I usually use different levels on each rock, so each one is a slightly different tone.

Posted Image

Step 7: Dry brush boltgun on the metals. Then hit it back with a very light dry brush of scorched brown on the edges.

Posted Image

Step 8: Washes time! Greytone sephia on the rocks (to pull the pink back). Badab black on the metals. Heavy devlan mud on the ground, and rocks (after the other wash is dry). Very light wash on the metals.

Posted Image

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Step 9: Minor re-highlighting on some metals. Paint edge of base to cover up mess. It's hard to get a good photo of the base. It's a lot grittier then in the next set of photos.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Back to working on the dread!

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Continued work on the dread.

Posted Image

Went back over all the merchite red with red gore, darkening it, and filling any gaps. Did a few more coats of yellow. Finally went and started all the detail bit base colors. Next comes hitting all the rivets with bolt gun, some dry brushing, extreme highlights, then wash wash wash!

Posted Image

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Jumped ahead a bunch of steps. Did a lot of detail work (highlights on hoses and such, hit up all the rivets, then did a bunch of washes. Depending on the area the model got...

Greytone sepia for all the yellow.
Devlan mud for most of the remaining.
Chaos black for some metal bits.
Chaos black + devlan pants mix for some bitz
Tharka green for green bitz.
Baal red for red bitz.
Various purple/blue washes for respective bits.

It's pretty much done now, except for "battle damage" chips and such. But that is easily done with boltgun and some scorched brown dry brushing.

hope you guys like him!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sukigod

Sukigod

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,082 posts
  • Army Name:Red Jack's Waaagh!
Nice work greggles! I know I'm a little late to the party but you've nailed the highlighting issue on the head. I use this to help combat the amount of diffusion caused by the Dullcote I use to seal all of my models. A little white added with mirthril will do some amazing things for the steel metals using this concept. I'm interested in seeing what this looks like just after the devlin mud wash, before any touchups. How much vibrancy is actually knocked back in the yellows. Can we possibly get a shot of that? Thanks and keep it up!

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
Hey Sukigod,
If you look at the post before the last one. That is prewash. The latest ones are post wash. Because I wanted the yellows to maintain a bit more vibrancy, I only used greytone sepia or whatever it's called on the yellows. I mudwashed the red...but also didn't go overboard...just enough to darken it some more, and add some texture. I'll try to get some really zoomed in shots for you.

Posted Image
Posted Image

greggles

greggles

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,487 posts
So had a lost siesta from 40k. Guy who used to host our weekend 40k games (centrally located), had a bunch of bad stuff happen, and ended up moving out to california. As such the meeting point disappeared, and gaming ceased.

Well got some new setups now, with alternating locations, so getting back into the swing of things with 6th edition!

Picked up some dakkajets, and started painting the army more bad moons then evil sunz. (I figure the orks warbosses are constantly swapping back and forth and yelling at the orks to change their colors, so they end up with a miss mash of yellow and red, with some more yellow, and some more red.)

Trying to figure out a good setup for the bad moons. Looks like ivan + golden + white highlights + sepia.

Posted Image

Test ork. Upper left ivan + golden + sepia. Lower left, ivan + golden + purple wash. Right upper, ivan + sepia. Right lower, ivan + purple.

Quick shot of the dakka jets. Waiting for airbrush compressor, then I'm going to base them with brown, then some black shading, then build up yellow on them.

Posted Image

Ignore the bases. Got some sweet dragonforge ones coming, with 12 inch flight stands! woot!

Warboss Mick

Warboss Mick

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,044 posts
Looks promising, looking forward to see some progress :search .
Warboss Mick's WAAAGH! : http://www.the-waaag...showtopic=51831 (Started assembling Rebel Grots / Gretchin, Big picture's . Update 19-05-2013)

Kaan

Kaan

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 506 posts
I love the look of that nob on the top left. Was there anything fiddly with the assembly of the dakkajets? I've got one that I may be assembling soon (got some Lobbas on the painting block at the moment that I want to attend to).
Warlord of Da Black and Blue Wreckin' Krew

Kaan

Kaan

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 506 posts
I love the look of that nob on the top left. Was there anything fiddly with the assembly of the dakkajets? I've got one that I may be assembling soon (got some Lobbas on the painting block at the moment that I want to attend to).
Warlord of Da Black and Blue Wreckin' Krew