Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orktober begins!

* * * * * 3 votes

• Please log in to reply
1547 replies to this topic

Big Mek GobSmasha

Big Mek GobSmasha

Runtherd

• Boyz
  • 333 posts
  • Army Name:Gobsmasha's Deffskullz

And so the promised day arrived...

Not with a bang, but a whimper.

• warhead01 and skarnir like this

Nothing is safe from the spannrz n' bloo paint of da Kings of Loot!

"They can cut but they can't paste"

Check out my WIP Log

warhead01

warhead01

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,490 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

And so the promised day arrived...

Not with a bang, but a whimper.

I think that's what happens when the grots spoil the "Xmass surprises". 
Even more reason to kick a grot. 

• Zagursnik and Badfang Brassaxe like this

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

What was wrong with the release yesterday?

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts
  • Army Name:Defgrimz Dakka Boyz

What was wrong with the release yesterday?

I'm getting the feeling that only the codex announcement would have been exciting enough for some people.

Honestly, I thought it was ok for a start but GW shot themselves in the hype foot by mentioning Orktober before the month got here... it set the tone to it being some sort of grand release, where in truth... we're getting the same degree of exposure and treatment as any major codex rollout, only with the addition of the Speed Freaks game to add into it. It will be a decent showing, but they made it sound like it will be something beyond the usual pomp and circumstance.

Lore articles, previews, painting guides, and then the release itself... likely at the mid to end of the month. It's not anything above or beyond what other major codexes have gotten, maybe even a touch more since we've got Speed Freaks coming out...  but still.

The thing I can't fathom is that there were still some doomsayers, right until the first lore article dropped, that were screaming to gork that GW was going to flat out backpedal on the Orktober thing and not give us a 'dex until next year. After they had said it was coming, after they had stated that every codex would be out by years end... it just boggles my mind.

• Blakkreaper likes this
Offishol Fishhead Slackjaw Mcgee certified ork Rokka!
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment
"Waaagh! Waaagh! The Greenskins, Oldest Greatest Death Machine..."

Wingnutz

Wingnutz

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 122 posts
No new cover art for the codex then. Lazy

Warboss Gordrog

Warboss Gordrog

Mendin' Squig

• Grotz
  • 72 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gordrog

In fairness, I don't think any codex got a new cover.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts

Correct, no book got a cover other than those who had no codex if I recall.  The last round of codex were fantastic, though we did have an issue where a player brought their 7th edition codex thinking it was the 8th edition.

Regarding the month, whats wrong with getting solo attention for the month?  Its a standard roll out with what is so far awesome models.

The megatrak looks amazing and the video ad was fantastic.

Wingnutz

Wingnutz

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 122 posts
Yes but theyve had a year for ours not rushing it out like the first ones...

I havent minded waiting. Im an ork player im used to it. But i am hoping for something special - we are a major race thats been left until last. think it will be buggies and bigger bases... Not setting the world alight as a waaagh should do. But, im an ork player so .... ;)

Wingnutz

Wingnutz

Snotling

• Boyz
  • 122 posts
Yes but theyve had a year for ours not rushing it out like the first ones...

I havent minded waiting. Im an ork player im used to it. But i am hoping for something special - we are a major race thats been left until last. think it will be buggies and bigger bases... Not setting the world alight as a waaagh should do. But, im an ork player so .... ;)

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts

Ok... new commercial, new model. Gotta say, I find the commercials hilarious... and two.

...that tears it, whoever came up with these new buggies read "Da Deff Skwadron" comics... it's the only explanation. These things look ripped right from one of the storylines.

• warhead01 likes this
GENERATION 2: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment

warhead01

warhead01

Skarboy

• Boyz
  • 1,490 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Today is looking far better than yesterday.

That new new buggy or trakk or what ever has me super excited.

• killercroc likes this

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts

That new buggy looks awesome.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,151 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun

The thing I can't fathom is that there were still some doomsayers, right until the first lore article dropped, that were screaming to gork that GW was going to flat out backpedal on the Orktober thing and not give us a 'dex until next year. After they had said it was coming, after they had stated that every codex would be out by years end... it just boggles my mind.

It boggles your mind because you're far too trusting. Sure, you do you and all that. But a lot of us appear to have very short memories.

I'm not going to be enthusiastic about a whole lot this month. The first article in question has already suggested that the people responsible for the Ork Lore have a very Flanderized view of said lore, and it doesn't bode well for the Codex if the "Ork tech only works because they think it does" meme is being played straight. It has been frequently exaggerated by non-Ork players who didn't get the nuance, but it looks like GW are just going to sweep that nuance away and replace it with the meme as legitimised fluff. Considering the fluff in the last Codex was pretty fucking awful, this doesn't particularly surprise me, but it disappoints me deeply.

I'm also surprised so many people want the Brainboyz drenched in mystery. The only mysterious thing about this is how GW managed to take an interesting bit of fluff and make it a misconception clusterfuck. I wouldn't even be surprised if they take the least likely explanation of who the Brainboyz were and make that the canon explanation. Especially after reading the introductory fluff in the first article. This is Hobby Fluff. We need something to go on. Some of it has to be fleshed out. I'm still waiting for the Codex that tries to simplify for those who missed it what resonance actually does. Trouble is, 40k fluff has to have authentic Imperium Bias-Doubt sprinkled on everything. It makes non-Imperial fluff a lot less useful as a tool for players to construct their own narratives. It also makes fluff discussions tedious because the "There is no right interpretation" stance is effectively the status quo. I for one am hoping that they've clarified at least that the Brainboyz are likely to have been the Snotlings. You read all the versions, and it's the only way that particularly makes sense. It's sort of a non-debate, undermined by the need for doubt just because that's how 40k is viewed through at the moment.

As I am more invested in the fluff than most, this is the bit that bothers me. The models look outstanding, but as their reason for existing is a pretty uninspired wargame that is now getting some of the worst fluff it has ever had (in a back catalogue that includes most of Mat Ward and C.S. Goto's work that is saying something indeed), I have to say my enthusiasm is spent. What with Warhammer World rolling back its booking procedure (and my local one perplexingly instigating one) instead of keeping the money I'd saved for Orktober, I've bought some stuff for X-Wing Mk.2 and a bit more for Beyond the Gates of Antares with the money instead.

I mean, that's no big deal really. That's just my take. I already dislike 8th, so the Codex needed to be the best thing ever written really. It's an impossible ask. But GW have done enough recently to dent what little enthusiasm I had remaining. I'm waiting until a friend loans me the Codex to read (the new local manager doesn't provide store books, only store datacards) so Orktober for me is going to be largely about the models. I'll have to wait a bit to read the Codex, and the first bits about the Ork Fluff so far haven't filled me with confidence. I am no longer enthusiastic about the book.

And waiting for the models, well, until I see how much it is possible to play with them (i.e. convert, customise or pose, which I doubt on all three cases), and indeed, remove them from those stupid bases and use them without them, the sooner we have more info about these models the better. Less teasers. More detail. We have waited long enough. And after the disaster that was our last Codex, we're owed significantly better. They had better have pushed the boat out.

• Blakkreaper, Maz, Snarknit Grokguzz and 4 others like this

killercroc

killercroc

Loota Boy

• Boyz
  • 1,212 posts

Orks are a living meme, they are the pepe master race. They no longer shout WAAAGH! they shout REEEEEE and beat people to death with their mighty melee weapons in the shame of rage comics. The end is nigh, gas the 'umies, meme war now!

• Bloatsnot and warhead01 like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

telescoping arm

• Boyz
  • 515 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

"I'm getting the feeling that only the codex announcement would have been exciting enough for some people." True, but given the length, and level of neglect we have suffered at the hands of GW, it is understandable.

"GW shot themselves in the hype foot by mentioning Orktober before the month got here..." True again, and while there are 28 more days of Orktober to be (potentially) savored, GW has over-promised, and under-delivered....thus far. The Speed Freeks 'pre-leak' got everyone excited for a great Orktober. No new release, or pre-order for a boxed set that has most of us salivating in anticipation. Some of us are wondering how much GW will want for the game, and if the buggies and Warboss trike will be available individually. Not a promising start, though they have just revised the Orktober post as I write this.  Looks like we'll be getting the codex this month, or soon. Time will show what we get.

As my ever wise father advised me; "Prepare for the worst, and you'll never be disappointed."

• Blakkreaper, Garslag and skarnir like this

Magus Gar Kan

Magus Gar Kan

Flash Git

• Blood Axez
  • 1,114 posts

@Dim

I guess it's just that with most of GW's mistakes and horrible decisions, I could at least find some logical reason they might have gone with it. Even the thing that made me almost quit the hobby, the horrible redo of the Ghazgkull supplement for 7th, where they took an army on the backfoot and made it worse by replacing our one good formation with an utterly unplayable detatchment... I could at least understand the design logic of how they created it.

But the idea of them announcing something and then going 'sikes ' just makes no damn sense from any angle... least of all from a business angle. It's like the pessimism and jadedness have reached conspiracy theory levels of concentration.

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,151 posts

Some positivity occurs and the people who defended GW, even during the worst of it, go back to the point as if nothing was wrong (if anything is worthy of Alex Jones, it's that). GW's business was fundamentally failing. It was demonstratively the case that turning your fanbase away is a stupid idea. That hasn't changed, but now that GW has had a couple of good years it is in all possibility that the mask is starting to fall again. Because I never believed they started caring for Customer opinions. They've just started to pretend that they do. Now, I could be wrong on that pessimism, but it's not exactly irrational. Anyone can think something makes sense. As I said to you last time we went this route, GW's intentions are of no interest to me when their actions betray those interests as untruths or half-truths.

I don't think, considering the rollercoaster that the last 10 years has been should suggest that anyone is irrational for being cynical or pessimistic. People care. If people are going to bother being worried, they're going to worry about things they care about.

GW is a business. I'm not. I'm a consumer. Consumers have their own agendas and their own interests. It's on GW to make those align with theirs. If they don't in my case, I don't buy. I'm not irrational for doing so. Maybe their strategy is better for them, but my perspective is based on what is better for me, and that is also fine. This is not a business forum. Its a forum full of consumers. Some new and enthusiastic, some like me who are the total bloody opposite. I personally think at the moment, with GW in a sort of weird place between brilliant and awful that both the enthusiastic attitude and the pessimistic one are valid at the moment. I really don't think GW has a total finger on the pulse of the gaming culture they now bother to talk to, but that's no reason to think that can't change either way.

Myself, I'm not as invested in the game as I was. For me the fluff/lore/background whatever you want to call it is the main event. The first article demonstrated not a bad grasp of Ork fluff by any means, but a dodgy one in distinct (and important) places. For me, that is not a good start. That's no conspiracy. 

I personally would love to hear your rationale for why in the 7th Edition Ork Codex Deffkoptas had weapons they couldn't use.

• armored walker, Lexington, Blakkreaper and 2 others like this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Warbuggy Gunner

• Boyz
  • 1,615 posts

"I'm getting the feeling that only the codex announcement would have been exciting enough for some people." True, but given the length, and level of neglect we have suffered at the hands of GW, it is understandable.

"GW shot themselves in the hype foot by mentioning Orktober before the month got here..." True again, and while there are 28 more days of Orktober to be (potentially) savored, GW has over-promised, and under-delivered....thus far. The Speed Freeks 'pre-leak' got everyone excited for a great Orktober. No new release, or pre-order for a boxed set that has most of us salivating in anticipation. Some of us are wondering how much GW will want for the game, and if the buggies and Warboss trike will be available individually. Not a promising start, though they have just revised the Orktober post as I write this.  Looks like we'll be getting the codex this month, or soon. Time will show what we get.

As my ever wise father advised me; "Prepare for the worst, and you'll never be disappointed."

Level of neglect?  What are you talking about?  This martyr complex some ork players have is embarrassing.

Slaanesh Beakies and demons get what for attention?  Sisters of Battle?  tin'eads until their 7th edition release?  Grey knights get attention how exactly? Orks have a massive product line.  most of it is newer than the majority of some armies people pretend get all the attention.

Regarding GW, some people will never be happy. Many of us recognize that its a model game.  Its a game most of us love, some enjoy, and some love to hate, but at the end of the day its a table top game from a company looking to make money.  In the past, they failed to make as much money as they probably should have been able to make.  They appear to have turned around most of that stuff and totally revamped how they run their company.  And yet here we are, people still demand exactly what it is THEY think GW should be giving.  You will never make everyone happy.

Yesterday we got a lore preview.  GW can make, break, or shift lore however they like.  It is their lore.  We as a community are free to embrace or disregard that lore however they wish.  You head canon is your head canon.

Today we get a new buggy, which is cool and a nice reveal.  We have only a small handful of models left unfinished for the army.  I am looking forward to the next few days to see where they go.  But I am also a person with 7 fully painted armies and the ability to enjoy whichever one I am currently interested in without feeling personally attacked by GW for an imagined offense.

greggles

greggles

Frantik

• Boyz
  • 2,075 posts
  • Army Name:Trust in Rust

I'm super excited.  I even painted an ork to take with me to paris to give to a fellow ork player.  That's how excited I am.  I bring the boyz with me to share in the excitement.  

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,151 posts

Oh deary me. Ad hominem already?

Nobody is unpleasable. It's just some people know what a forum is for. Evidently some haven't the first idea. We don't need this kind of attitude. We can all talk about it respectfully. I'm perfectly happy for people to be as enthusiastic as they like. I share some of it (the new Buggies are outstanding, as I've said) but you disrespect people based on their personal tastes on a forum where people can voice those. Your time would be better spent addressing other aspects of the discussion.

• skarnir and Giganotosaurus like this