Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Keg's back?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 722 posts
  • Army Name:Keg'z Mek 'Eadz

Long time no see.

Really, it's been about six years since I last darkened The Waaagh's doorway, and I guess I have to say I'm a little older and wiser.

Quite bizarre thinking I joined here when I was a wee yoof of fourteen, and now I'm twenty six... I promise, I've grown out of super glue and toilet paper.

As part of some recent therapy, I thought it'd be good to get back into the hobby. Not for the gaming (though I've had a quick look over some of the rules and holy fuck no), but I have missed the nostalgia of cuts and scrapes, and the building and painting of Warhammer 40k. It has always been one of my favourite universes, so I thought why not get back into the groove of things and give me something to do as a little mindfulness practice / project.

So far it's been working, though if there's one thing I don't miss about the hobby is how long it takes for me to do anything... I'm a really slow hobbier.

I missed the community here, so I thought I'd pop my head in and maybe share some progress of my little therapy project in one nice big thread.

I went into a local GW around my area and decided to pick up a box of mega nobz (lucky they still had them in, apparently there's been an ork purge? quite tired of orks getting purged), a war trike-thing (no idea what it is but it looked fun), and I wanted something to loot so I picked up a 'Stealer Cult Goliath to make into a trukk or something.

So, look forward to those at some point if I ever get around to them.

Nothing's changed in terms of camera quality, so apologies in advance (I promise once I set up a better desk space you should expect better pics).

Let's start with a mega nob.

So, I wanted to make 'em ded 'ard, and I have no idea what kind of theme I want for my 'army', but arbitrators and boarding shields I always thought were cool.

So I thought why not start by making a shield to go over this fella's shoota. I also gave him so platform boots to make him a lil taller:

edited-image-zpshfsgvrid.png

Please don't mind the lil bit of blood on the shield (cut myself three times already, good start):

DSC-0008.jpg

I always like making my big orks a little bit beefier, so I chunked him up a little while I was at it. Hopefully it'll look good in the end:

DSC-0010.jpg

And all together (minus the gob) it should look something like this:

DSC-0012.jpg

DSC-0011.jpg

DSC-0013.jpg

I spy some lines I missed, so I'll buff them out now.

I'm currently working on the next nob, but I thought I'd say hello in the meantime and get something posted.

As I go along, I might also have a rumble through some of my old and unpainted boys and maybe try a revamping project, after I finish here.

I also had a gander at some of my old and finished pieces, that I might stick up in the trophy rack in another big thread. But one thing at a time.

Hope you enjoy my little journey.

Keg

• armored walker, Badfang Brassaxe, Mik McMok the Mek and 2 others like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,531 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Welcome back, good start on the meganob, will you be giving him any curved thigh guards or shoulder plates? - anything that moves away from the 'kid wearing a load of cardboard boxes for armour' look is a step in the right direction :lol

• Mik McMok the Mek likes this

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 722 posts

Thank you for the welcome!

You know, you're so right. I noticed the problem too and glued on some of the regular kit stuff, but they're just not right.

I'm going to carve them off (because damn plastic glue melted the  :bleep on) and see about making some big shoulder plates.

I'm still trying to get back into the hobby, so my knowledge has dipped and my resources I've had to pick back up from scratch so hopefully I'm not too rusty with the plasticard.

Keg

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,531 posts

I'm still trying to get back into the hobby, so my knowledge has dipped and my resources I've had to pick back up from scratch so hopefully I'm not too rusty with the plasticard.

Have you considered Kneadatite (GS) or Milliput - they're 'normally' used for sculpting but it is possible to get a lot of mileage out of them by rolling them into flat panels, cutting them to shape and applying them as shape-able panels to the model. :?

If you do go that route then it's usually worth sticking some 'support struts' to the model first to give the plates something to stick to without having to maul them about too much in situ. :thumbs

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 722 posts

Yet again, you are so right. I entirely forgot I have two massive strips of unused GS, that I bought a few years ago, that I could use to beef out some armour.

It wasn't entirely what I had planned, but I'll be saving those for the others now that I know what I want to do without having to hack off bits; again, sorry for camera quality (this will be fixed!):

DSC-0001.jpg

DSC-0003.jpg

And a together shot for comparison with good ol' Keg (who also needs a couple touch-ups of paint):

DSC-0005.jpg

I should hopefully finish the second nob by tonight -- I also managed to get my hands on a desk lamp (finally no more eye strain at night), and also an old tin'ead battleforce that I bought years and years ago, that I might loot some of the vehicles from (or build them as is, who knows -- we'll see).

Keg

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Deliriak

• Boyz
  • 2,531 posts

Happy to help :cheers - don't know if it's just the camera angle but have you noticed that in the first pic of your last post that the orks' chin isn't much higher than the hip pivots on his armour :sowhat Could be worth cutting the model at the waist and jacking the torso up a couple of mil or so to get a bit more height on 'im :?

Mad Grot Docsnik

Mad Grot Docsnik

Head Honcho

• Nobz
  • 3,764 posts
  • Army Name:Thousand Tribes Waaagh

Welcome back Keg! Yerh, it's been a long time and it's gotten real quiet around here over the years. I'm doing the whole "modeling for peace of mind" thing myself so :thumbs

Nice work on the meganob so far. Beefing up the shoulder armor came off well. Badfang'll never steer you wrong.

:cheers

• Keg and Badfang Brassaxe like this
Orks -- comic relief in the grim darkness of the far future.

"Unfortunately, there is no way of enforcing a rule that sigs should be genuinely witty or profound." -- Oddballz.

A wise grot knowz da roolz of Da Waaagh and obeyz dem.

Keg

Keg

'Ead Graft

• Deathskullz
  • 722 posts

Happy to help :cheers - don't know if it's just the camera angle but have you noticed that in the first pic of your last post that the orks' chin isn't much higher than the hip pivots on his armour :sowhat Could be worth cutting the model at the waist and jacking the torso up a couple of mil or so to get a bit more height on 'im :?

I had actually considered that! But there were a couple obstacles that got in the way, mostly being a lack of confidence and tools; it's my first project in years and I like my fingers too much to do a botched job of it.

But yeah, I think it's just the camera angle that makes their heads look closer to their waists (a photographer I am not). Hopefully this next bunch will look better in terms of scale and proportion!

Welcome back Keg! Yerh, it's been a long time and it's gotten real quiet around here over the years. I'm doing the whole "modeling for peace of mind" thing myself so :thumbs

Nice work on the meganob so far. Beefing up the shoulder armor came off well. Badfang'll never steer you wrong.

:cheers

Thanks for the welcome back! It's good to see some old and familiar faces, in spite of the quiet.

I hope you're finding decent peace of mind! So far getting back into the hobby has definitely been good way of decompressing (despite the bloody thumbs and fingers).

Also finding the Great British Bake Off a decent background noise, too, so... that's been helping!

-----

So progress has been slow, but I've managed to make at least some. Again, apologies for the shitty pictures! I managed to get a hold of a bendy-lamp that should hopefully offer some better lighting, should this bloody phone-camera manage to actually focus on the bloody miniatures.  :sowhat

Here's a groupshot with a tin'ead for scale:

DSC-0006.jpg

Here they are all shielded up:

DSC-0010.jpg

And because I suck at taking pictures, here's another from a different angle showing off the latest of the three:

DSC-0011.jpg

I'm considering cutting off the middle glyph on that last one's shield, so I can clearly paint some hazard lines or something. But I'll come to that once I apply some GS to his shoulders, do some final tinkering and then finally base them ready for painting.

I haven't painted anything in years, so here's hoping I still remember how to hold a brush!

Thanks for the interest, guys.

Keg