I've wanted into the Gargant Owners club for a while, and like a proper Deff Skull player, I know where to start:
The Warlord Titan. Number 542, to be precise.
This presents a number of issues, both practical and fluff. I'm hoping that by answering the fluff questions I'll get some nice ideas for build details: any model this large is by necessity a diorama, so I'mma need those details. I'll think on the practical problems more as I get to them: I figure I should take some time planning before I start cutting too many holes in the resin: googling suggests I may be the first person to try looting a warlord, so I don't want to screw it up!
- Gork and Mork cannonically are Stompa-shaped (after all, that's why stompas are that shape): feet mostly hidden under huge bulky bodies with their heads on the top instead of in front, and at least one of their arms is a gun, or whatever else you want to takeaway from how GW's gargants have looked over the years. I don't like this much: I've always felt the Imperial titans look more like Orks!
My solution here is simple: I'm going to stick a weirdboy tower (Weird-Kannon?1) on it, kept stocked with all the weirdboyz who show up to insist da meks have built this one wrong.
- The Imperials will kill the absolute shit out of any Ork warboss who loots a Titan. If they can't drop half a Legio on it, this is exactly what the officio assassinorium is for.
Solution: fine by me! Guaranteed fights are the best sort.
- Warlord Titans are literally too big. They break the square-power law so hard the Forgeworld fluff straight up says they use gravity-neutralising tech to operate. Part of the reason Ork Gargants are flower-pot shaped is realism: giant things shaped like that better support their own weight
Solution: mekboy gubbinz, maybe some stabilising jet thrusters.
- Power. Titans use supremely powerful plasma reactors. Ork superheavies just don't: they're all furnace-driven powerplants. There's a reason the Megagargant caught fire so much!
This one needs thought: Orks can and do build microreactors (mekboy guns clearly aren't running on diesel). I'm tempted to use distributed generation: putting obvious powerplants on each gun and the legs separately, maybe. Also if I can be arsed with rules for it, I'd probably give it more HP but add in a "fire" mechanic that costs it more HP unless you spend Grot Riggers on firefighting, and cut back on that absurd 36" D-strength Titanic Explosion the Warlord has.
- Guns. Without the Warlord's original plasma reactor, most of the Warlord's colossal energy weapons don't make sense. They also don't have enough barrels.
I'm thinking: Titan-scale power claw (based around the Arioch), Weird-Kannon (arm, based on the Volcano cannon but heavily built up), A Very Very Big Missile (carapace, probably built from a fightabomba), supa-meka-gattler(carapace, made from one or both laser destroyers).
- The Titan's Mind, and the Princeps. Slight problem: titans are kinda alive and slightly sapient. Rather than try to teach a machine to walk, the Dark Age of Technology put bear-minds in 30m tall robots and re-taught the bear to walk, then they taught it to hate. Which works remarkably well!
The question here is: wire an ork directly into the princeps chair, replace the Sensorium with a Squid, have the thing piloted by a pair of warbosses moving in syncronicity, Pacific-Rim style, or put Mek in a megadred in the piloting seat, Gurren Lagaan style? Or do something else?
1I thought up the wierdboy-fueled kannon before I heard about the Psi-titan with it's psyker-fueled Psi-cannon, honest.