Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

"Yellow is Badmoons whether you like it or not!"

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
An interesting new rule in the official GW tournament

https://warhammerwor...and-tournament/

"If you have painted your models in a specific way, we expect you to use the rules relevant to that scheme. For example, if you have painted your models as Salamanders, your army must have the Salamanders keyword. If you have created your own unique colour scheme, then you may give them any keyword that you wish."

So basically if you have blue Beakies they're ultramarines. Now, fair enough it is a little cheesy when a ultramarine player, with toilet bowl symbols are all over his Beakies, turns up and says he is a imperial fist army but when it comes to xenos armies (like tyranids) who just paint their army any colour they want (some didn't even know tyranids had different colours depending on their hive fleet) then I can see this being a problem. What do you guys think?

OLDGUN

OLDGUN

Speckled Bloodshade Fungus

• Grotz
  • 18 posts

sounds like a shit

as they always

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,262 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

As ever, it depends on how much of a pigs' ear they make of balancing the rules in line with the fluff - I didn't accidentally paint my SunBurnz red :sowhat

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts
Well my Orks are painted red and some even have evil sunz imagery on them or blood axe imagery. It's not because they are it's because they free booters msde up from lotsmof clans and I also like the colour red.

Shabbadoo

Shabbadoo

Looted Russ Pilot

• Bad Moonz
  • 1,919 posts
  • Army Name:Bad Moons(Waaagh! Skargrim)

So people can't play their Blood Angels as Space Wolves in tournaments anymore? GW are such dicks. Sarcasm. :rolleyes

• warhead01 and Giganotosaurus like this

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,262 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Well my Orks are painted red and some even have evil sunz imagery on them or blood axe imagery. It's not because they are it's because they free booters msde up from lotsmof clans and I also like the colour red.

In that case it depends on if we get <Freebotaz> as a klan word or they stick with the old fluff that freebootaz have been exiled from their klans for not being klanny enough, could always use them as a 'tribe' of orks consisting of many klans (which is also in the old fluff) but could cause 'buff allocation' issues.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts

So people can't play their Blood Angels as Space Wolves in tournaments anymore? GW are such dicks. Sarcasm. :rolleyes

It's more if you have purple tyranids you have to play them as purple tyranids even if you made them from a nid faction that should be blue. Nobody has space wolves models and playing them as blood angels... and if they are I don't see a problem with that. The game is about imagination. It doesn't give you an advantage to play a different faction with models.. especially as I've been to some tournaments and outright sen just bases with no models on. XD

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 996 posts

I see what they're trying to do but it seems like a bad way to do it. Not sure of a better option though.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts

I see what they're trying to do but it seems like a bad way to do it. Not sure of a better option though.

I know a better option. Have the regiment traits, beakie trsits, ect... be a suggestion and have a rule that you can pick any rule that applies to your army but you only get to pick one per faction. That way we can pick what ever we want without people complaining.

These things were supposed to be a bonus but because they amde some too strong they made them a crutch meaning you're going to get cheese... so at this point they either get rid of them (unlikely) or make them available to anyone in the faction without arguments.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz

No, you could paint your Beakies blue and not use Ultramarines.  Unless of course you have ultramarine logos all over them.  

They are trying to work around people gaming the system by using models for one army but using the rules of another.  For orks its not a real issue.  For Beakies it is a constant problem.  

• warhead01 and skarnir like this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts

No, you could paint your Beakies blue and not use Ultramarines.  Unless of course you have ultramarine logos all over them.  

They are trying to work around people gaming the system by using models for one army but using the rules of another.  For orks its not a real issue.  For Beakies it is a constant problem.

Well it's not just Beakies at tournaments. I personally know a fish'ead player who is now going to be forced to used use a trait they don't want to just because they painted the army a colour they liked a few yesrs ago.

killercroc

killercroc

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 935 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz

It's time like this I'm glad all my models are grey and unpainted because I'm a lazy excuse for a human being. Oh also I don't play in tournies so screw this rule hard. I mean most people play the color they paint their army but not allowing people to try something different is just dumb. Sorry you painted all your beakies blue and you don't like the Ultra trait, you're stuck with it unless you repaint your army. GW 1 step forward, 3 double backflips back.

• warhead01 likes this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts
Honestly, i only bring it up because people seem to have this weird brainwashed mentality where they follow like a law everything GW just suggests or tries out as a beta. I know that some shops will probably adopt this as a store rule like they did to other area.

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,365 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Haha this is silly they gave players an out with home brewed chapters ect. My own Harlequins are "diverse intersectional pointy eared gitz" , so I'm free to use any set of rules I want. It's not that big a deal really. I know it's silly but seeing one army painted correctly from head to toe using another armies rules is something I find irritating when I know the player(personally) is gaming the system. Usually a game store kid kinda character. But it usually has to do with the attitude of the player more than the army they are putting on the table.  As far as I can tell and have seen most standards beyond assembled models and a copy of the correct rules have been let go.  (This happened about the time Ard' boys became a thing.)  
Doesn't really matter as I already know most of the people I will be playing with and what they're about with this hobby and game.

This whole game for me is about playing good games with like minded people and looking forward to the next time. 

You know what's a little more ..frustrating?  Being one of about 3 or 4 players at a tournament with models that are painted. 
It always seems like laziness to me where more people attending a tournament from out of town show up with their armies all painted and ready to go and the local players don't represent themselves nearly as well.   :(

• Badfang Brassaxe, skarnir, Giganotosaurus and 1 other like this

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts

What is the percentage of people who play in GW tournaments versus every other type of play?

Personally, I do get annoyed when I am playing Dark Angels that are suddenly Blood Angels because the Blood Angel rules are more effective.

I seriously doubt you'll see anyone tell you you need to use Bad Moons because you have some yellow on your orks.  As a matter of fact I doubt anyone will ever need to worry about it at all.

• warhead01 and skarnir like this

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts
Maybe, like always, it seems to just be my area and my experience. I'm still very much under the impression that these rules should be a suggestion. And I say thismplaying and imperial fists successor whl is painted purple and I still oick the IF rules despite there been a lot better rules for Beakies. I'm definitely notnone of those people but I am worried that this will eventually lead to "you have a shade of blue... You're ultramarines even if you have raven guard logos allmover the miniature". Maybe it's just me.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts

Everything is a suggestion.  You are free to not play someone at any time for any reason.

On a tournament level, GW can set expectations as needed and a person who has dealt with "Mystery Beakies" that morph between tournaments to fit the meta, its annoying and anything that corrects that is welcome.

warhead01

warhead01

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,365 posts
  • Army Name:Waaagh Gor-Gak !

Maybe, like always, it seems to just be my area and my experience. I'm still very much under the impression that these rules should be a suggestion. And I say thismplaying and imperial fists successor whl is painted purple and I still oick the IF rules despite there been a lot better rules for Beakies. I'm definitely notnone of those people but I am worried that this will eventually lead to "you have a shade of blue... You're ultramarines even if you have raven guard logos allmover the miniature". Maybe it's just me.

I don't know maybe the people like that that you play with just suck.   :biggrin

Just look at who you regularly play with and figure out just how many of them are like that and there you go.  
This whole thing seems to have changed over the years. Enthusiasts used to paint their armies and or were working on painting their armies.  Then some other people just liked to play and either didn't paint or paid some one else to paint for them. 
Sure every now and then people would proxy one set of models for another. Ok, no big deal. It was more a case of a few people always doing it so they could play the flavor of the month that got under our skins. Even then I know for myself I had a small group with in our larger group of 20 to 30 players that I played with the most.  like 5 or 6 of us. 
Some of us were dedicated to building, painting and playing. Being good at all three we saw as how we would be able to win tournaments and all that kinda thing. It was just several parts of the whole. 
This "new generation" of gamers will have to sort that stuff out for them selves how ever they want. People can cry all they want, my Orks will look dead ard' on the table..... like they always do. lol. Even then it depends on the other person, they may have no idea that Goffs used to have red pants or armour, not just black.  Heck I'm trying to reach further back than 2nd edition for colors that look Orky now too. 
I guess it's just something you and your group should chat about and see if it's worth all the panic.  ;)

• Badfang Brassaxe and Garslag like this

Kick me! to see da blog! WWWAAAAAAUGH!!!

Takein' yer place at da top uv da Heap!

Dim_Reapa

Dim_Reapa

Ban Stikk Target

• Grot Rebelz
  • 5,088 posts
  • Army Name:Trotskin'z Revulushun
For once I agree with PhillyT. If you can't make your faction discernable, your colour scheme probably isn't great. It's problematic for Orks (Red Paint Jobs are universally used on vehicles designed to go fast, Cult of Speed transcends Clan identity etc), but ignorance of everything Orks isn't new.

Whereas, players just taking whatever perk is best is just annoying. We finally get rewards for theming and a bunch of sweaty fucks shit on it. Granted, it's partly on GW for making some perks blatantly better than others, but if people pick a chapter, those are the rules they use. End of.

The loss of options and modelling incentives is a better example of GW pissing on creativity.
  • warhead01 and Giganotosaurus like this

killercroc

killercroc

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 935 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz

Dim agreeing with PhillyT? Well there's a first time for everything, gives hope to the Ork codex being good!

Jokes aside, really it depends on the paint/trait debate. Reasonably so the trait of a faction should reflect the lore of a unit, so if you played a particular faction for lore reasons you should be happy with their traits. Look at Beakies, I think their traits are fairly accurate, Ultra get better Ld, Raven are sneaky, Imperials are better with bolters, etc. Which is good however there are also the cases when the trait does not match the lore or you picked a paint scheme because it looked cool years ago when maybe there was no lore about that faction, and now the 8th Ed. book is out and your favorite factions trait isn't suitable to your play style. Again using beakies as example I really like the Hawk Lords and their purple and Gold, in old books they didn't have much info about them but now they're dependents of Ultra but they make heavy use of rapid strikes and flanking maneuvers so Raven would be more suitable for them. Now I know this isn't a main faction so they can pick their trait but the idea stands I think.

For my Tyranids I've tried out different traits for different builds and it really holds true with them at least the trait heavily dictates how you build your army because it's possible to have a trait that is completely useless. Say for example you painted your army like Leviathan and like the trait for Kronos (Re-roll 1's to hit with shooting if you don't move) and you always played your Leviathan painted bugs like a shooty army. Is it really fair that that player is forced to use the Leviathan trait when another fits his play style, especially since Kronos is new for this Codex and never existed before now. I mean, I use to play Behemoth in a fluffy sense because all my MC's, but the Kraken trait suits my play style much more so I run that. Luckily I never painted my army because I'm a piece of shit but again the idea stands.

Even with the idea of "Well they're just playing the trait that suits them best" well I think that's fine, why would someone who plays a shooty army go for the combat trait? I mean sure some people will nit-pick every unit to match perfectly with every trait but sometimes you have to because the trait could be useless to the majority of your army. Again my Kraken army for example, works great for my Genestealers but is useless to all my heavy and artillery bugs. So I have a trait that only benefits 3 units in an army of 15+ units it puts me at a pretty big disadvantage just because I like Genestealers over Gaunts. 

It's pretty iffy.