Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

In a rut...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 407 posts

It's been a long, long time since I've posted any progress on my army - mostly because I haven't made any progress.  I was so focused on finishing school last summer, and then worked a few jobs in the fall before landing the full time position I've been at for the past six months, that I haven't had any time.  Also moved in with my gf, and our tiny apartment doesn't leave a great deal of space for all my warhammer stuff (not just my orks, but my company of Beakies, my elves, dwarves, etc.)  So...yeah, not a whole lot done. Don't get me wrong: life is really good right now!  I just...miss building my crazy contraptions.  That said...the release of Imperial Knights: Renegade has me VERY excited to get back into things..maybe try and find some space to work, regardless. See if the gf would mind me carving out a little hobby space :)

• skarnir and Garr like this

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Penelope the Wonder Pony

Thinks hes NTMBK

• Deathskullz
  • 4,476 posts
  • Army Name:WAAAAGH! Blooskull

I find that having a portable paint station/conversion station really helps in cramped flats. You can get it out from a convenient spot (I keep mine tucked on top of some shelves, out of the way), work on things for a few hours, then tidy it away again. Though it works a bit better for non-Ork projects that don't need a bitz box the size of Russia :lol

• Badfang Brassaxe, Snarknit Grokguzz, skarnir and 2 others like this

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 481 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

Are you near a hobby, or gaming store? Gaming stores almost always allow someone to paint (promotes the business), and some hobby stores have a "Build what ya brung night." When the weather is good, and not too windy, a park picnic table, and a layer of newsprint works great. These places allow you to use Penelope's build/convert/paint station concept outside of your grandfather's apartment.

I have kept most of my hobby tools, glue, putty, etc. in the same inexpensive plastic toolbox for decades. There has always been room in the toolbox for paint bottles & brushes. A sturdy cardboard box will suffice for your figures & vehicles.

• Badfang Brassaxe and skarnir like this

skarnir

skarnir

Lobotomy

• Blood Axez
  • 752 posts
  • Army Name:SKARNIRS KAMO KILLAZ

I get most of my painting done outside of the house, I use the gw skirmish case. Has enough space for the paints and the mob of 30 boyz I have been painting since April (top tip don't paint boyz in mobz of 30)

• Badfang Brassaxe likes this

The world is a much brighter place, when you finally pull your head out of your ass.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Skitzo

• Boyz
  • 2,382 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

+1 to wot Skarnir sez, I got 9 of my Sunz burnaboyz finished last night - started 'em at the beginning of April, still got 21 to go :bang

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Burna Boy

• Boyz
  • 407 posts

i could bring a portal painting station, I suppose.  Can't bring ALL the Orks and bits, but I could bring a handful of models to have available at any given time, and try them.  I don't have a FLGS close enough to paint there, and I won't paint in public (I generally won't engage in any activities related to my geekier hobbies like Warhammer, D&D, etc. in public places). But a portal and stowable kit might work in such close quarters. My girlfriend's been supportive of all my hobbies to date, so I'm sure she'd be fine if I wanted to do a little assembling/painting now and again.

skarnir

skarnir

Lobotomy

• Blood Axez
  • 752 posts
  • Army Name:SKARNIRS KAMO KILLAZ

I never build outside the home, like you said bringing the truck load of bitz needed is not practical.

I had a look at GW's Citadel project box and was summarily unimpressed with what you get for the price tag. A plastic box worth about 20 quid being sold for nearly three times that amount.

In regards to not wanting to do hobby or gaming in public area's I can understand why you would not want to. the stigma attached to "Nerdy" like activities (or anything perceived as such) does tend to attract the ire of of slack jaw knuckle draggers.

but I don't think that should stop you from being you, the older I get the less of a fuck I am inclined to care what other people think. I have had to deal with idiots coming over to myself and friends in Public buildings while gaming and straight up verbally abusing us. 

Nothing an auld power klaw to Da face wont sort!

I will add this though, for every twat I have had to put up with I have come across more folk being inquisitive and curious.

• Snarknit Grokguzz likes this

The world is a much brighter place, when you finally pull your head out of your ass.

Giganotosaurus

Giganotosaurus

squig attack arm

• Boyz
  • 481 posts
  • Army Name:Grumpy's Toys

"......the older I get the less of a fuck I am inclined to care what other people think.:cheers  skarnir!!!  I'm real old, so I don't care what other people think at all!  :yes  That said Snarknit, do what works for you, and be true to yourself.

• skarnir likes this