Welcome to Da WAAAGH
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Id have gotten them a few million more...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,265 posts
  • Army Name:Da Perfeshunelz

Karma seems tonhave set in and now 'umies players are losing every single model but cadian. They're all crying, all after they told me it was cool for GSC models to disappear. Now this is how you make money.

Catachans could soldier on ( :blush ) as scouts, don't think Vostroyans ever had plastics, FW continuing to supply Death Korps and Elysians? Doesn't bode well for us getting Klan specific troops :sowhat

• Giganotosaurus likes this

jackdoud

jackdoud

Kaptin Kork

• Boyz
  • 996 posts

Catachans could soldier on ( :blush ) as scouts, don't think Vostroyans ever had plastics, FW continuing to supply Death Korps and Elysians? Doesn't bode well for us getting Klan specific troops :sowhat

Orks just need the rules and a couple glyph plates for Klans to work. Non-Cadian guard is a whole other beast.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts
  • Army Name:Dakka Ghulthrakka's Boyz
They are dropping decade plus old direct only formerly pewter regiments.

I seriously doubt they were big sellers.

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,265 posts

Orks just need the rules and a couple glyph plates for Klans to work. Non-Cadian guard is a whole other beast.

Beekies only need the rules and a couple of shoulder pads for chapters to work.....

They are dropping decade plus old direct only formerly pewter regiments.

I seriously doubt they were big sellers.

I thought Catachans had their own plastics :?

• jackdoud likes this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts
Yes, catachans have a couple plastic kits but they look positively ancient now. The rest are fine cast versions of pewter minis.

From a business perspective they are in an odd spot. Maintaining a small volume of those models is problematic if they sell one of those for every fifty Chadians they move.

killercroc

killercroc

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 935 posts
  • Army Name:Da Iron Gitz

Oh no, the umies are losing a lot of their alternative models that have been around for over 10 years and now have to settle on their complete plastic only model range. Let me play a song on the worlds tinniest violin. 

Really it's not a big deal, Anvil Industries makes parts to have almost every faction GW has come up with, sure they aren't (((Official™))) GW models but if you really want to play Vodka flavored guard with furry hats and greatcoats there are plenty of options out there.

• PhillyT and Giganotosaurus like this

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts
Thats exactly it. Honestly, when was the last time you played a non Cafian 'umie list? Ill miss some of goose old kid but they had so few options it was mostly old timers anyway. Vostoyans looked so incredibly cool though. But they were now being done in finecast which was terrible...

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts
  • Army Name:Dreg Boyz
Well the Elysians went off the store a few weeks ago and they're pretty new. It's upsetting for most armies if they lose models especially if they own an entire army of them and there is a high chance they ain't coming back.

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts

Elysians are Forgeworld though.  Different production system.  And they are almost a decade old now arent they?  Kastra Novem is at least 8 years old right?  Wasn't it out before the Badab War books?  I need to go get my book and look.

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts
A decade in 40k time is pretty recently :P

Badfang Brassaxe

Badfang Brassaxe

Manik

• Boyz
  • 2,265 posts

Elysians are Forgeworld though.  Different production system.  And they are almost a decade old now arent they?  Kastra Novem is at least 8 years old right?  Wasn't it out before the Badab War books?  I need to go get my book and look.

Buggy was out before GorkaMorka :lol

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 897 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag
I will be sorry to see those go. The different flavours of guard was a huge part of their any character, in my mind.

I think if they were going to reduce all the guard to one kit, I would prefer it to be a generic kit rather than cadians. That's rather like saying the only beakee kit were gonna make any more is space wolves, you dark angels players can make that work right?

On the other hand, the Cadian kit is a really great kit, and combines well with other kits. I mixed chaos marauders, catachans, and cadians for my Blood Axes' humie mercenaries. I reckon they looked great. I should paint them and post them one of these years.
  • Badfang Brassaxe and skarnir like this
"Parry the 6!"

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts
So: if the rumour is true and gw isn't making anything new. Gw is about to lose sales from 50% < of guard players, 20% < GSC players and %20 < Ork players. Combine that with 50% < of GK players, 40% < of old beakie players and probably 90% < of the kroot players then we're seeing where they go wrong. I joke on the numbers but we might see history start to repeat itself. GW ignoring loyal fans who bought and converted their models for years in favour of new whales who buy big but then never play again.

killercroc

killercroc

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 935 posts

Hey I'd gladly get more GSC if they fixed the horrible units and added some actual options into the codex that weren't re-skinned guard that cost as much but are less effective. It's kinda hard to play an army that has 3 HQ's with no options, 2 troops, 2 elites, 1 heavy & 1 transport. Everything else is just another armies unit added into the book leaving very few actual options. 

Skumdreg

Skumdreg

Flash Git

• Boyz
  • 1,038 posts
Omg, hqs with jo options? Does this mean we will lose almost every kinda big mek and warboss? Oh crap....this is going to hurt isn't it?

PhillyT

PhillyT

Stormboy

• Boyz
  • 1,387 posts

Those models likely didn't even make up 5% of the 'umie sales.  I doubt it was even 2%.  They lacked so many options.  If people are looking for boutique guard at this point then the Elysians and Krieg models are the way to go.

Considering GW has tripled their sales the last two years, I am pretty sure they have begun to figure out what people want and how to organize their business.

Snarknit Grokguzz

Snarknit Grokguzz

Slugga Boy

• Boyz
  • 349 posts

I'm glad to see GW is supporting their employees and valuing their workers in this way!  

Wingnutz

Wingnutz

Flesh Eater Squig

• Grotz
  • 87 posts
Apart from the customers who just want orkz... Obviously ;)

Garslag

Garslag

'Ard Boy

• Boyz
  • 897 posts
  • Army Name:Waaa-Garslag

So: if the rumour is true and gw isn't making anything new. Gw is about to lose sales from 50% < of guard players, 20% < GSC players and %20 < Ork players. Combine that with 50% < of GK players, 40% < of old beakie players and probably 90% < of the kroot players then we're seeing where they go wrong. I joke on the numbers but we might see history start to repeat itself. GW ignoring loyal fans who bought and converted their models for years in favour of new whales who buy big but then never play again.

Did I miss a rumour? Or are you exaggerating to prove a point? Is there a reason to believe they're not adding anything new?

Sorry, but I'm easily confused you know.
"Parry the 6!"

killercroc

killercroc

Kommando

• Boyz
  • 935 posts

I guess it really depends on the location for the sales. At my local store I know I made 100% of the umie sales because nobody else plays them, or the player that does has been playing for so long he's never buying another model for them. I got 2 sentinels (need a 3rd still, but I made armored sentinels with plasma cannons so joke is on me they're shit now!) 3 Russ and a Chimera + guard squad. 

Overall I don't think too many GSC players got a lot of guard stuff beyond a russ or two, and even then the amount of GSC players seems really small  so I'm not picturing a lot of sales from them. But at the same time it costs GW nothing to let Cult players take Guard units, so they'd be limiting their sales for literally no reason. GW might pull some dumb moves but I don't think they'd be that stupid.

As for FW cutting units, they've been doing it for years. Give it another 5 years and FW will only sell HH unit upgrades.